Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Just can't branch off from Drizzt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nelsonbaggins
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  13:19:17  Show Profile  Visit nelsonbaggins's Homepage Send nelsonbaggins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been completely immersed in Salvatore's Drizzt books. I'm currently wrapping up Passage to Dawn, the 10th in the series, and I haven't slowed down yet. I read the first one and a half Cleric Quintet books but quit because I didn't like the characters and it wasn't as exciting as Drizzt. I recently started Darkwalker on Moonshae but didn't get more than a hundred pages in before I quit out of boredom. Does anyone have any suggestions of other Realms novels that are really top notch? Or is it that Realms novels are just so-so and Salvatore is in a class all his own? Maybe a trustworthy top ten or twenty list exists somewhere that I'm unaware of? Thanks!

Nelson

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  14:07:07  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always – it depends on the taste .

Maybe you will have a look here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4893 or to get a other side over here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9385 .

But in general – you are talking about early books in the FR-world – the writing and the style of telling tales changed in my opinion a lot, just take a look on the new series, maybe start with some stand-alone adventures from the Rogue-, Fighter- or Wizard-Series.

The topic was discussed here a lot so just search some around, before one of the mighty ones will close this topic - the brooms of the Mods sweep very clean here
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  14:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

The topic was discussed here a lot so just search some around, before one of the mighty ones will close this topic - the brooms of the Mods sweep very clean here

Well met

Welcome to Candlekeep, nelsonbaggins.

Indeed, Matthus speaks wisely, for the scrolls in question should aid thee considerably.

Darkwalker on Moonshae is indeed a different style and tone to many other FR novels but I thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy (and the subsequent Druidhome Trilogy). It was many years ago since I read them however. Douglas Niles has a great style and often brings across a dark and earthy feel to his novels, IMO.

As an aside, i'm currently reading The Orc King, which, going from your comments, i'm sure you're going to love

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  14:57:36  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
As an aside, i'm currently reading The Orc King, which, going from your comments, i'm sure you're going to love

Can we know why you have this privilege ?
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some advice:

Read better books. Not just FR stuff. You'll see the Drizzt books as amazingly subpar
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  16:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

Well met

Why, entry to Candlekeep requires the submission of a tome not yet owned, does it not?

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  16:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no way for us to guess what other Realms books you'll like. As Matthus says, it's a matter of literary taste, disposition, where you are in your life, etc. Bob has lots of readers who aren't interested in the wider Realms, or who dip their toes and don't like it as much. It's not that all those authors are objectively worse than Bob, just less suited to those readers' likes at that particular time.

Try Ed Greenwood (Swords of Eveningstar), try Elaine Cunningham (Elfshadow), try Paul Kemp (Twilight Falling), or an anthology like Best of the Realms 1, try Bob's non-Realms novels, and as Ethriel says, read non-Realms books too. Only one way to find out what will suit you.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  16:56:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

For a RAS fan, I would recommend Paul Kemp, Richard Lee Byers, and Richard Baker books.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:11:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second Skeptic's thoughts
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:12:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well met

Why, entry to Candlekeep requires the submission of a tome not yet owned, does it not?

Very good
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:30:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrgh, but that HORRIBLE cover.
I always wanted to look up Drizzt's nose.
[that was wincing sarcasm, folks]
Yes, scoring those ARCs is one of the fun perks. I remember scoring the doorstop-sized ARC of Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Or any of my top-secret Harry Potter "earlys." Of course, the weight of knowing all the secrets beforehand does age one prematurely...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  03:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With age comes experience, THO. Besides, some of us like the older woman.

You might want to look into the Best of the Realms 1, which has a selection of different styles, genres and authors. Good starting point, if your unsure about other Realms novels.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  06:19:45  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like the Drizzt books, particularly the atmosphere of the drow cities, I'd recommend the War of the Spider Queen series. It's not written by RAS, but I believe he had a large part in the storyline and character development. Not to mention there is a "sequel" series being published now, which starts with Sacrifice of the Widow. If you start on them, you'll have plenty Salvatore-type stories to read. Not to mention you're only on Passage to Dawn. Go ahead and read the Drizzt books (that's what I'm almost finished doing, I'm currently reading The Two Swords and the 3rd book in the WotSQ series) and if you want a break from them, try the War of the Spider Queen series or anything by Ed or Elaine.
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  11:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a friendly reminder that is good to mention any time we start to discuss authors and relative merits, but please make sure to keep from making overly broad statements about a given author's work, especially without more specific, and less inflamatory, examples. We definitely want to know your opinions and to provide a place for them, but we need to make sure that those opinions are not expressed in such a manner as to cause any issues with other fans or the author's whose work make up the body of work we appreciate here at Candlekeep.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  04:32:35  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just a friendly reminder that is good to mention any time we start to discuss authors and relative merits.....

*Shudders* I think I just had an FR Novels WotC forum flashback.

quote:
Arrgh, but that HORRIBLE cover.
I always wanted to look up Drizzt's nose.
[that was wincing sarcasm, folks]
Yes, scoring those ARCs is one of the fun perks. I remember scoring the doorstop-sized ARC of Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Or any of my top-secret Harry Potter "earlys." Of course, the weight of knowing all the secrets beforehand does age one prematurely...
love,
THO

Lucky you, I say! The only HP 'early' I got was timezone related and I used to work in the industry!
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  04:32:17  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As several others have said, literary taste is a personal thing, but you certainly shouldn't opt out of reading other stuff, [both FR and otherwise]. On a purely subjective level, [though I imagine there are those who agree with me], I would respond to the question of whether RAS is in a class of his own quality wise with a resounding "no!", and I love the Drizzt books. Corolary: Salvatore is, however, not unsurpassed, but close to it, in the art of the weapons based action scene, imo at least.

As to recommending some other Realms material that might appeal to you, I second most of the books mentioned above, [Richard Lee Byers, Richard Baker, etc]. However, I happen to think that it would be a crying shame to get stuck entirely on RAS's stories, so here are some extensive recommendations for you. The Forgotten Realms is a vast place, and RAS shows you only a small, though splendid, part of it. I'd make a particular note of:

Paul S. Kemp: Paul Kemp's novels generally follow Erivis Cale, a butler for a wealthy Sembian merchant family who is and grows in to something altogether different. The novels are fast paced, heavy on action, and plotted with wonderful tightness and intensity. The first is "Shadow's Witness", which is part of the larger Sembia Series, though its the only installment focusing directly on Cale. Personally, I found this first book a mite linear and . . . I dunno, bland, but Paul Kemp's writing has steadily improved with each subsequent volume. He is one of the best Realms writers active at this point imo. In his newer books, his style grows in to something very clipped, precise, and punchy, with no unnecissary frills.. "Shadow's Witness" is followed by the Erivis Cale trilogy, [as mentioned above, it begins with "Twilight Falling"], which is when Cale really comes in to his own as a character. These books take a slightly darker and grittier approach to storytelling than some other Realms novels.

Ed Greenwood: Nobody writes the Forgotten Realms like the man who created it, and that man is Ed Greenwood. I enjoy a lot of Mr. Greenwood's fiction a very great deal, [particularly his more recent novels], but he certainly has a distinctive writing style that is not for everyone. I find that his syntax, the way he builds his sentences, differs greatly from the more straightforward approach of some other authors, which may bother some readers. Also, his novels are often absolutely packed with Realmslore references which, while they delight the fan, may disorient the uninitiated. There is almost always a dizzying amount going on in an Ed novel, and [unfortunately], he is almost always limited to the standard FR word counts to tell these wonderfully complicated stories. He also seems to like a bit of humour in his books, and isn't afraid to make characters, even intimidating ones, look a mite foolish now and then, which I think is great. As recommended above, "Swords of Eveningstar", Book 1 of The Knights of Myth Drannor series, and Ed's most recent Realms book, might be a good place to start. It features a young group of adventurers just starting out, and seems a little more accessible than some of the author's previous stuff. Also, it seems to me that Ed is growing more adept at fitting the story he wants to tell within the required word limit. Plus, the sequel, "Swords of Dragonfire", comes out in a few weeks, and if its anything like as good as its predecessor than there shall be much rejoycing.

Elaine Cunningham: I could talk for quite a while about how much I enjoy Elaine Cunningham's novels, but it strikes me that one of them might be useful to you in your particular situation. Since you like RAS's stories so much, I'm guessing you like the drow? It just so happens that Elaine Cunningham has written a whole trilogy about a drow character. The series is called "Starlight and Shadows", and features as one of its protagonists Liriel Baenre, daughter of Gromph Baenre, with whom you may be familiar. The first novel is called "Daughter of the Drow", and a significant part of it takes place in Menzoberranzan. The story begins about three weeks after the end of Salvatore's novel "Seige of Darkness", in the wake of the defeat of the drow in Mithral Hall. This might be a good way to discover the wider Realms, as Liriel slowly moves away from Menzoberranzan to various parts of the Realms Above. As I recall, this was my first non RAS Realms book, and it took me only about fifty pages to get hooked. If you like "Starlight and Shadows", Elaine Cunningham has written two other series, one "Songs and Swords", and the other "Counsellors and Kings", the second of which I am reading right now and thoroughly enjoying. The novels are overall great, but more than anything else, Elaine's characters really stay with you.

Again as others have suggested, you might try some of the stand alone novels. These come in four book themed series, "The Cities", [which contains a novel coauthored by Greenwood and Cunningham], "The Fighters", etc. Though these books are lumped together in a series, they never have anything to do with each other beyond their shared theme. May I suggest "Ghostwalker", by Erik Scott De bie, a story about vengeance with deep, well thought out characters, sometimes almost lyrical prose and sweet action scenes. The War of the Spider Queen may also interest you, as RAS was involved in plotting the series, and the covers have his name on them in addition to the author of the installment. Myself, I enjoyed the series for a time, and thought each individual book was well worthwhile, but the unrelenting focus on the drow began to drag after a while, and I thought the ending was a bit of a downer.

There are many, many Realms novels out there, not to mention mountains of superb non Realms fiction, fantasy and otherwise, which I'm not even going to start on because this post is long enough. Hope you find something to suit you.

An arc of "Jonathan Strange" would have been great . . . More time to read the massive thing. Wonderful book, but truly a doorstopper, and not really suited to quick reading.

As for Harry Potter earlies . . . I'm a mere fan, with absolutely no industry connections, but I honestly did not know that they existed. I always assumed that, as advance reviews were largely not necissary to drive the series's hype machine, a machine that more or less drives itself, and given Rowling's views on spoilers, ARCs simply weren't distributed at all. Seriously off topic: I enjoyed Deathly Hallows very much, very much indeed. Kudos to Rowling for maintaining quality throughout the entire seven book series.

Re: The Orc King:
Do let us know what you think of it once you're done with it, mighty Alaundo. I hope for a number of things from this novel. Salvatore's Realms series, Drizzt and the offshoot Entreri stuff, hasn't stagnated for me yet, but its definitely going that way. It could just be the number of the novels; it could be a genuine shift in RAS's style, or it could just be that both "The Two Swords" and "Road of the Patriarch" ended rather more inconclusively than I might have liked. I know that RAS is chronicling these characters's lives, rather than telling a specifically defined tale with a beginning, a middle, and an end, but there comes a point at which I'd like something a little more concrete in terms of progress than recent installments have offered. I mean, Drizzt can only have so many epiphanies about the way he views the multiverse . . . right? However, I still look forward to both hearing stuff about and, soon, reading "The Orc King". As for the cover, I can't see it, but it really does sound . . . less than appealing. Can you really see up Drizzt's nose? Dark and full of terrors are the tunnels and caverns of the Underdark!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  14:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate

Re: The Orc King:
Do let us know what you think of it once you're done with it, mighty Alaundo.

Well met

Aye, I finished the book on Thursday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some great scenes and stand-out moments in the book. I'll put up a mini-review shortly.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  14:15:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest Kemp and the Erevis Cale/Twilight war series. Salvatore's books are very descriptive, and great read for non Forgotten realms fans, because you do not need to know the entire DnD aspect of the canon storyline to get into them. That is why Salvatore is the most successful author in FR.

If you read certain others books, its hard to understand how an average reader who does not follow the realms could pick them up and understand what is going on because the books seem to expect you to understand(I.E blackstaff. I loved it, but Its plain that its a book for a gamers gamer)

If you want non Drizzt books that you will enjoy, Read the book "Shadows Witness", which is book 2 from the sembia series and it focuses on Erevis Cale. Then read the Erevis Cale trilogy, which is excellent. Twilight war, book 1 shadowbred, was one of the BEST I have ever read
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  22:11:46  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelsonbaggins

Does anyone have any suggestions of other Realms novels that are really top notch? Or is it that Realms novels are just so-so and Salvatore is in a class all his own?

As others have said this depends on your own taste! but from the RAS books I see that you like the action and interplay of key characters.

I would suggest some of Elaine Cunninghams books and maybe some of the Harper series, also Paul S Kemp and his Ervis Cale (sp) books shadowbred is great!
also look out for The shadow Stone but I cant remember the author !!!! SCRIBES PLEASE ASSIST!

Most important don't give up on FR novels/books there are loads of different styles and all have a place many are top notch.

Delz

Please excuse the edit (Bloody red wine!!!!)

Edited by - Delzounblood on 15 Aug 2007 22:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  22:16:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood
also look out for The shadow Stone but I cant remember the author !!!! SCRIBES PLEASE ASSIST!

Richard Baker. It was first written as a Birthright novel IIRC.

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Aug 2007 22:16:47
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  22:18:54  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Richard Baker. It was first written as a Birthright novel IIRC.

Thanks

Should have remembered it's a damn good book!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000