Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Shadows of the Past
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  23:59:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I realize from speaking with other people that I may not be recognized here by Wizards and asked to finish my tale, but that is my hope, and something that I am working on. My passion is writing and spinning tales for those that will listen, and my favorite place to do just that is the Forgotten Realms. The Realms first came on to my radar back in 1999 when an old friend and manager of mine told me and a select few about the fallen City of Song. I still remember quite well the description that he gave, and even added more to it when I had the chance a few years later after I had donned the mantle of DM myself as a group of adventurers braved the Ruins of Myth Drannor.

After I learned to balance things out a bit more thanks to a very dear friend of mine, I began to read all of the stories that I could get my hands on, especially about elves and the stories told by Mr. Ed Greenwood and Mrs. Elaine Cunningham. They helped to shape the way that I run a gaming session and the way that I write, and I am eternally grateful. Should either of you ever find this story and read what I have written, I hope that you are well pleased with it. You both have played a major role in shaping this story and countless others that I have penned and others that I hope to lay down in print for others to read. And so it is that I send my thanks to you now, along with the deepest of thanks for all that your stories have done for me, and for making the Realms come to life and introducing to us friends that we never knew we had.

Also, I would like it very much if for those of you that read this would be so kind as to leave a few words about what you think and if you enjoyed my tale as it is thus far. I realize that parts of it still need some work, and I shall continue to do so in the future.

And now, on with the story...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  00:02:52  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(-4300 DR)

The dark form stood atop the shattered battlements looking down at the carnage below. The wind still carried to his elven ears the sounds of ringing steel and the cries of the dying and wounded. The setting sun seemed to bathe the clearing in blood, and as it set he could almost sense the presence of death creeping closer with the growing shadows. Down below him, he could see three elven forms in full armor coming up to the tower's base and knew that they would be making their way up the stairs to him in only a few moments.

He smiled slowly, and turned his eyes to the sun setting on the distant horizon. The song of battle still sang in his veins, and its heat kept his senses sharp. Behind him he could hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stone stairs, and he cast a slow glance over his shoulder. Just coming through the archway that lead out to where he stood came the Knights of Eaerlann. Their captain, an average sized elf that wore gleaming elven plate, stepped forward. In his hands he still carried his longsword and shield.

"Well captain, you have found me at last."

"Alaron Ealoeth. You will pay for the abominations that you and your family have consorted with. We have come with the might of Eaerlann to place you under arrest."

"No, I don't think that you have. In fact, I am certain that you have come to kill me. Or as you see it, deliver justice. Tell me, is the might of Eaerlann given form in the three of you? Has the mighty kingdom become so weak that it need seek deliverance in three children?" With these words, Alaron slowly turned around to face them. The sun had now completely vanished in the distance, and as he spread his wings out, he concealed the first stars of evening behind him. The full dark of the Abyss seemed to fall on the three warriors before him, the same dark that had spawned this being, and for the first time this day they knew fear.

The martial and arcane ran strong in the Ealoeth line, and it was said that any one of their warriors was easily the match of two from any other family. Those very thoughts were even now going through the minds of the three knights before him. Though they were in lands claimed by Eaerlann, they felt very much alone. They were the ones that stood atop this broken tower now, not the gathered might of their People off to their east.

Alaron stepped down from the large stone that he stood on, and was an even six feet in height. He cast a wry smile at those before him, leaving his sword still strapped at his side.

"Eaerlann is in no weakened state, hellspawn. We and the other nations have risen as one, and-"

"And you shall all fall as one. Even now, our forces are exterminating you all from the face of Faerūn. I am very reasonable, and will allow those of you that throw their arms down now to leave with their lives, for your deaths are assured. What is it for me to wait a short while longer while your armies delay the inevitable and you take flight with your women and children? We will find you, make no mistake. And ultimately, you will fall beneath our swords."

The captain raised his sword to point it directly at Alaron's unarmored chest in a sign of defiance. "The only thing that is taking flight this day is your taint from this land, demon. I will send you back to the darkness that spawned you!"

Alaron gave him a slow, chilling smile and reached for his own sword. "Then your decision is clear. And apparently you are content with sealing the fate of those that serve you as well."

His weapon hissed free of its scabbard and red flame burned down the length of the blade. The three elves closed in and began to form a semi circle around him. With an arcane gesture and word, he armored himself for the coming combat and shielded himself from arcane attacks. His first attacker came at him with twin swords which he effortlessly parried away as he fell into the graceful dance of the bladesong. His deadly dance carried him up to each one, and in just a few moments they bore crimson reminders of his presence that was one moment there and the next gone. The Knights of Eaerlann still had as of yet to make it through his defenses to strike him as he had them. Every time his blade would pass near him in protection from one of the attackers and another thought he had an opening, his sword would arc almost lazily back in and guard its wielder.

The full weight of night fell around them in the forest, and the only light that was to be seen was the flaming sword of the hellborn elf that faced off against the three defenders of the realm. Those that still drew breath on the ground could only watch in amazement as sparks showered down upon those that battled high above the forest floor. Slowly, one by one, each of the three that had come seeking to arrest Alaron fell unmoving to the cold stone beneath their feet until only the captain of Eaerlann and this demonic elf were left. The clouds above parted, and the full light of the silver moon lit the tower top. The battle was fierce, and both now wore several marks upon their bodies that the other had delivered. Suddenly the two blades came together and held fast, each of their owners struggling for an edge over their opponent.

"Look around you, captain. Even Sehanine knows that your time is over, and sends the tears of the moon to mourn your passing."

"They are not meant for me, fiend. They are meant for you and what your family have become. Sehanine herself will guide me to victory!"

"Just like the phases of the moon, your hold over this kingdom and your confidence in this battle's outcome are waning. But do not take my word for it. Instead, let me show you!"

He pressed his opponent back and the captain raised his sword up in a high guard to deflect the blow that was coming at his face. But his opponent, moving in that same fluid grace of the bladesinger, spun and reversed his swing to sink the blade deep into the valiant captain's chest, and the hellfire from the blade poured into his body. The sword the captain held fell to the flagstones below, and his shield clattered loudly to his feet. Try as he might, his legs refused to obey him and hold him upright, and though the moon was brilliant overhead, the world around him was growing dark. But what chilled him even more was that the darkness had shape and form... that of a winged male elf with eyes that burned in malevolent crimson light. This dark form with burning eyes came nearer him and pulled him close to whisper into his ear.

"Poor Captain Daerlan. I have kept you too long from your troops. Let me be gracious enough to speed your return to them at once." And with those words, he lifted the captain up and carried him over to the edge of the tower top.

"Send my regards to Sehanine, and thank her for sending her champion to show me the error of my ways." The hands that held him vanished and slowly he fell, down into dark shadows, and away from the silver light of his goddess.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 05 Mar 2009 08:34:31
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  00:06:02  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaron turned his back on his falling opponent and murmured out the words of an invisibility spell to conceal from the observers on the ground where he had taken off to. Concealed thus, he made his way over to the edge of the tower and fell into the night. The wind howled in his ears as he spread his wings, lifting him up above the dark, silent forms below. Over the trees he soared and to the south, where the bulk of his main force awaited him. His force had won the day against the army of Eaerlann, and they had returned as directed to their camp from the night before. As he landed, he let his invisibility spell drop and made his way towards the command tent.

The camp was busy tending to their armor and weapons, but a few did take notice of his return and their heads bowed in respect as he passed. One of the forms made his way from where he had been sitting to come to Alaron's side.

"My lord, the remaining Eaerlanni troops as well as the Sharrven have begun to move. They will be on our current position in no less than three days."

"Thank you General Vaeras. I shall let the others know."

"My lord?"

Alaron stopped and turned his head to glance at his spymaster. "Yes, general?"

Vaeras hesitated a moment. "I believe we should speak privately, sir. It has to do with your son."

"Very well, general. You may accompany me to my tent." They continued across the encampment to the pavilion tent that Alaron used as his headquarters and made their way inside. He made his way over to a decanter of wine that he had brought with him from a village that he and his men had taken only a few weeks back, when his son had still been with the main body of troops. He poured himself a goblet and waited for the spymaster to begin. "Well general?"

Vaeras cleared his throat before speaking. "My lord, I didn't wish to speak of this outside in front of the army, but with the gathered might of both Eaerlann and Sharrven against us, I am not sure how much longer we can hold out. We need to make our way back to Siluvanede for reinforcements."

Alaron's hand tightened around the crystal goblet that he held. "I am well aware of the status of my army, Vaeras. I do not need someone such as yourself to inform me of such matters. Now, get to my son. He was to make his way to Nar Kerymhoarth for supplies."

"My lord, he and a vast number of our fey'ri warriors have been captured and imprisoned by the High Mages of Eaerlann. I am sorry, sir. But he is lost, and so it would appear is our victory. We should contact the other commanders and pull our combined strength. We may then..."

Alaron shattered the goblet still in his fist and had his other hand around the spymaster's throat. "I told you once that I didn't need you telling me of my duties. The Lady Sarya put me in charge of this army herself before she was captured. Do you presume to think that you know better than Lady Sarya, or that my command of this army is in some way... lacking?" His hand tightened around Vaeras' throat, leaving him gasping for breath.

"N-no my lord! I merely thought that my insights of the enemy troops and intelligence reports might better help you to arrive at a decision!"

"So you question my intelligence, general?"

"No my lord!"

"If I want your insights, I will ask for them. Do not think even for a moment that I can't replace you with someone far more capable. Your position in this army is not critical. You are expendable." Alaron let him go, and he fell heavily to the ground gasping in air and holding his throat.

"Vaeras, get up off the floor and do something useful. Send Archmage Filaerin to me. There are things that I must know."

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  00:07:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)

Telethian looked over sullenly at the window of his room that gave him a view of Waterdeep. The sky was a slate gray and a heavy rain came pouring down on the people that were trying to finish their business out on the streets and make it home. It had been raining for two days straight now, and he still had as of yet to meet his contact from the High Forest. He made his way over to the window to watch for any sign of her approach.

Lightning flashed angrily overhead, and deep resonant thunder answered in challenge. Apparently, it was going to be another gloomy evening. He stood there for a few minutes with his arms folded in front of him before giving up, then stepped over to the chair where his scarlet cloak and swordbelt lay. He donned them both before making his way from his room and down the steps into the warm, cheery taproom of the Jade Jug, the nicest inn in all of Waterdeep. He pulled the cowl up over his head as he opened the door and went out into the tumultuous downpour. As soon as he stepped into the streets, all that could be heard was the roaring rain that beat down upon his back and shoulders. He narrowed his elven eyes and could only make out dark forms of people that were hunched over, trying to avoid being washed away. He turned to his right and made for the Elfstone Tavern, which lay only a couple of streets over.

He navigated the streets carefully, moving with a determined stride until he stood at the entrance of the Elfstone and stepped up to its vallenwood door. He quickly opened it, and made his way into the tavern and stood there for a moment after letting it close, gazing at the patrons that found themselves here this evening. There were eight other people here not counting himself and the staff. Most were moon elves, though there were a few sun elves as well like himself. He took off his sodden cloak and hung it on a peg to dry, then made his way over to a table near the back of the room where he could keep an eye on the main entrance.

With the perpetual gloom outside, they had already set several dancing lights spells around to softly illuminate the taproom, and even a few of the panels in the roof that allowed sunlight to flow in to the tree that stood in the center of the room were open, allowing some of the rain to come in. At least one spell ward was in effect, as instead of the driving rain and its incessant pounding, it came drifting in as a soft mist. The dancing lights spells gave the mist an ethereal, otherworldly glow. The tavern had even hired an elven harpist for entertainment, and she accompanied her instrument by giving voice to the songs that she played; songs that were ancient even by the standards of gold elves. Her haunting voice carried to every inch of the taproom, and all eyes rested on her. Even Telethian fell under her spell until a half elven waitress made her way over to him. She carried a glass of guldathan nectar and a couple of skewers of sizzled venison on her tray, and smiled as she set the glass and food down on the table before him.

"Telethian Phoenix. I see that you are back to enjoy our hospitality and company once again."

He grinned at her as he pulled his eyes away from the bard and several coins from his purse. "It would appear that way, my lady. My friend still hasn't shown up yet, and I'm beginning to get concerned. Hopefully the weather isn't keeping her held down elsewhere."

The waitress glanced up at the rain misting through from above and shook her head. "How anyone could travel the roads in this is beyond me. Perhaps she is staying over at one of the small villages between here and there? The High Forest is a long way off, after all. And being caught out in this is nowhere I'd want to be."

"Perhaps. But knowing her as I do, I just can't see her doing something like that without at least sending some sort of message to me. No, I am confident that she is on her way and has just been delayed." He handed the coins to her and smiled. "Here you are, and thank you. I appreciate everything that you have done for me, Tymaara. I added a few coins to take care of the rest of my orders this evening, and what is left over is for you."

"I understand my lord, thank you." She turned back and made her way over to the other tables to check on the rest of the customers. Telethian selected one of the skewers and settled back in his chair to get comfortable, and to wait on his contact.

During his wait the rain outside gradually lessened, but didn't completely abate. It still fell gracefully down onto the tree, and from the windows at the front of the tavern he could still hear it tapping against the glass. He had just signaled Tymaara over and ordered a glass of Evereskan clearwater as the main door opened and a slender female form dressed in a mud spattered forest green cloak came in. Over her shoulder was a longbow and at her hip a carefully covered quiver of arrows. She carefully took off her cloak and hung it beside his, then made her way over to sit down uninvited at his table. Her green eyes met his of dark obsidian and she smiled at him, brushing back her copper hair behind her ear with her still gloved hand.

"Telethian, right? I was told that you would meet me here. Sorry for the delay, but the rain caught me off guard a few days back and really slowed me down."

He leaned forward, clasping his hands thoughtfully before him. "I was expecting someone else. Tell me, how do you know that I'm this Telethian that you speak of? I could just as easily be another sun elf from Evermeet."

She smiled at him, shaking her head. "There's no mistaking you, Telethian. I've been told well what you look like. And you do sort of stand out here. You caught my eye as soon as I entered. I am Alunarra, by the way. Reya sent me." She eyed him up and down boldly with a sly smile on her lips. "And trust me, the pleasure is all mine."

He smiled back at her and inclined his head. "Allow me to order you something to eat and drink."

"That would be wonderful."

He gestured again for Tymaara and he asked, "What will you have, my lady?"

"Whatever you're having is fine."

He looked at the waitress, "Another platter of venison, and some Evereskan clearwater."

Alunarra looked at him with disgust on her face. "Water? No, I don't think so. I've had enough water the last few days to last me a lifetime, or anything that has the word 'water' in it. Elverquisst, if you have it. Is this on you?" she asked him. When he nodded she gave an impish smile to the waitress. "Just bring the decanter over. Oh, and a glass," she added almost as an afterthought.

"I'll be back in just a few moments with your venison and elverquisst," Tymarra said and made her way back toward the kitchens to get their order.

"So, what exactly are my instructions? Anything I should-"

She leveled a silencing gaze at him. "I have been on the road for over a tenday, eating nothing but trail rations and drinking water. Water," she emphasized again. "I'm certain that your information can wait just an hour more while I dry out and eat."

Tymarra came back just then and laid the platter down on the table. Alunarra's eyes never left it until the crystal decanter and two glasses were placed down on the table. She looked up at the half elf with a puzzled look on her face.

"Two glasses? Why would I need two glasses?"

"I assumed that you and Lord Phoenix were going to drink it together."

She looked at the half elf for a second, then flashed a brilliant smile at her. "Yes, he might want to celebrate me getting out of that dreadful weather, huh? That's very thoughtful of him."

The half elf smiled at her and looked at Telethian who was sitting back with his dark eyes on Alunarra. "Yes, he is the thoughtful type," Tymarra said and winked at him, grinning. He looked back at her and slowly shook his head.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 15 Feb 2009 02:10:53
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  00:08:30  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alunarra reached over and poured herself a glass of elverquisst, which she downed in a single swallow, then refilled the glass and began to do the same thing again as her other hand sought out the platter of food. Telethian caught her hand holding the glass and looked at her. "Do you not wish to thank the Seldarine with the elverquisst ceremony?"

"You think the gods might want to celebrate this too, eh? Sure why not," and her eyes came alight with mischief as she set the glass back down. After one look at Telethian's face, she rolled her eyes and sighed. "Gods, always so formal." She cleared her throat and with a mocking tone said, "Lord Phoenix, I would be honored if you would perform the elverquisst ceremony, thanking the gods for another year and the favor shown our People."

He gave her a flat stare and gently reached over to where the decanter sat. He murmured out the soft phrase that caused silver lights to dance deep inside the ruby liquid in the shape of the constellation of Correlian. They both spoke through the remainder of the ritual and quietly sipped at the delicate liquid as Telethian closed his eyes and thought of years past, and of...

His reflection was broken off by the sound of food being wolfed down and liquid chasing after it. He opened his eyes to look at the young elven woman that was sharing his table with him, and gave her an irritated look before getting his temper under control.

"Why did they send you?"

She paused a moment and wiped her mouth. "They sent me because of my experiences with humans and other races. Honestly Telethian, you may be intelligent and handsome, but you are kind of lacking when it comes to understanding others. Look at me, I get along with humans a lot better than you do. Your diplomacy is lacking, and they thought that if you could tolerate me, that you might learn a few things."

"I can't actually believe that you're a gold elf."

"Half, actually. My mother was a wood elf, and my father was a gold elf. I might have my father's appearance, but my heart and skills are at home among the trees. You, on the other hand, have a warrior's build and that charming sun elf disposition."

"Thank you."

"That wasn't supposed to be a compliment."

He gave her a small smile and let his eyes drift back to the bard as his companion ate, listening intently to her song. It was an aria of the Seven Citadels War. Alunarra glanced up at him between mouthfuls and turned her eyes to the bard that sat on the stage performing and then back to Telethian. She gave him a quizzical smile and placed her hand gently on his own. "What's the matter, Telethian? Haven't you ever heard this song before?"

He brought his eyes to hers and smiled. "It's been years. It's just not as I remember it, is all."

"Bards constantly change things. I think they call that 'bardic liberty'."

"Mm."

She wasn't sure if he had heard her, but he gave her an almost imperceptible nod of his head. She shrugged and went back to her meal, and after a careful look at Telethian to make sure he wasn't paying her any heed, swiped one of his skewers of venison off his plate. She again gave that impish smile and took a bite, savoring the taste of her pilfered food.

After an hour or so, Alunarra finally stood up, sighing and stretched languorously in contentment. "All finished, I guess. Go settle up the bill and I'll get my cloak."

Telethian got up and went over to the owner and pulled out his purse. He handed her a few more coins to the already considerable sum he had handed Tymaara, then headed to where his companion awaited him near the door. Alunarra had already put her cloak on and was leaning against the wall as he approached. After he put his cloak back on, they stepped outside into the rain. Telethian glanced at his companion who was taking a keen interest in her surroundings as she watched lamplighters lighting up the street. Heavy crates lined the wall of the building in front of her, and a carriage clattered past, bearing the crest of a noble family on its door.

"Have you already found lodging for the night?"

She flashed him a quick smile and shook her head. "No, not yet. I was thinking that you may have some thoughts on where I should stay."

He thought for a moment, looking her over. "Perhaps the Dripping Dagger would suit you? It's a popular place for adventurers to stay inside the city."

She looked into his eyes. "Well, I'm looking for someplace quiet, with good company and few interruptions. Any other suggestions?"

He looked at her then, and caught her meaning. "You know, I happen to have just the place. Nice and quiet, and people leave you in peace. A person can even order food to their room if they would rather not leave. The company is delightful when properly motivated, and it's only a couple of streets over."

"Is that so?" she asked, her eyes sparkling like stars in the faint light.

He smiled at her again and took her by the hand, leading the way to the Jade Jug where Telethian left word at the desk that they were not to be disturbed. The young woman that sat at the desk smiled at him and nodded her head.

They made their way up the stairs and into his room where he locked the door and helped to remove her cloak. He leaned over her shoulder to softly whisper into her ear, "I am still waiting to hear about my instructions." She slowly turned around and removed his cloak, placing it with hers, then looked him deep in the eyes. "But not tonight," she said as she placed her arms around his neck.

He smiled down at her. "No. Not tonight," he agreed.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 15 Feb 2009 02:08:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000