Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Under Illefarn and Daggerford
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  17:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello scribes and sages of the 'keep.

I've recently purchased the adventure 'Under Illefarn' and wondered where it would justifiably fit in the roll of years. I'm thinking pre-1358, but not sure when exactly.

Also, does anyone know where I can get more realms-current details on Daggerford and the surrounds (I have the Environs of Waterdeep web enhancement from WotC but it practially omits Daggerford).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  18:01:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Under Illefarn, but I've not read it, so I can't help you, there.

There's an entire booklet on Daggerford in the The North boxed set. And that one is one of the many freebies available on the the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it is! Thanks WR!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  19:36:43  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best guess is that Under Illefarn is set in 1357 DR. The Grey Box entry for Daggerford makes an express reference to Under Illefarn for more information on Daggerford.

In any event, Under Illefarn is set after the Dragonspear War, which, according to the Grey Box, takes place in 1356 DR. Since the module features full-powered priests of Myrkul, it should certainly take place prior to the Time of Troubles (1358 DR).

However, the adventure is pretty self-sustained, and it can probably be set at just about any time, just replace the priests of Myrkul by whatever evil deity you like best.
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  20:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Splitting hairs I admit, but there is still time in 1356 DR for it to be set. No enemies were sighted at Dragonspear Castle after the Feast of the Moon. The war was effectively over.
Kelson Darktreader, Llewellyn Longhand and Gwydion pen Dafwyd all aged 15 years between Under Illefarn and the Grey Box (1370 to 1371 DR). There seems to be too many years to squeeze in unless it's set in 1356 DR even though 1357 DR is more sensible.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  21:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerun says the Necromancer bad guy died more that a decade ago (see page 145)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  16:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North boxed set moves the Dragonspear War to 1363DR. Just thougth I should mention it since the Master of Mischief pointed Na-Gang to that particular tome.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  21:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd forgotten about that one - different battle, different war. The Battle of Daggerford (1363 DR) was core to 'The Hordes of Dragonspear' which, as a supplement on Daggerford, doesn't seem to add anything to that which 'The North' covers (and it's not free).
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  17:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the North is incredibly helpful on places like Amphail and Rassalanter. Fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  23:36:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grehnar

Splitting hairs I admit, but there is still time in 1356 DR for it to be set. No enemies were sighted at Dragonspear Castle after the Feast of the Moon. The war was effectively over.
Kelson Darktreader, Llewellyn Longhand and Gwydion pen Dafwyd all aged 15 years between Under Illefarn and the Grey Box (1370 to 1371 DR). There seems to be too many years to squeeze in unless it's set in 1356 DR even though 1357 DR is more sensible.

Yeah... I thought about it and then figured that after the Feast of the Moon, there would probably be snow around. So I based my dating on the fact that Under Illefarn did not mention snow .
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  13:04:41  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. There is a mention of snow though - the Caravan Duty chapter is set in late Marpenoth (before the Feast of the Moon).
Just depends on how quiet the area had become by then I suppose. It looks strained either year now.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  12:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so my bumbling previous posts didn't include the fact that I'm preparing to run a campaign in Waterdeep and Environs south as far as Daggerford.

Any locations for canon information would be greatly appreciated. I have the recent FRCS, Waterdeep 3.5 book, the web enhancement, Under Illefarn, the North, Volo's Guide to the North. Is it worth getting The 1e Savage Frontier and Waterdeep & the North supplements?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  17:08:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Is it worth getting The 1e Savage Frontier and Waterdeep & the North supplements?

Since the Savage Frontier is freely available on the Wizards downloads page, yes.

Most of Waterdeep & the North was reprinted in later supplements. Either get it or the City of Splendors boxed set. I'd go for the latter, myself. There was some great stuff in there, and not all of it made it into the 3.5 book. Plus, I think that boxed set describes more of the buildings than any product before or after it.

Also, get the old City System boxed set. It included the largest map of Waterdeep -- perhaps even the largest FR map in general -- that was ever released: 10 full-sized poster maps, each just one section of Waterdeep.*

*And I am lucky enough to say I've got an entire second set of those maps.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jun 2007 17:12:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000