Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Weather of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  11:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I'm starting a campaign based in Waterdeep and I need to generate the weather for a full year and was wondering which table would be the closest to the city: the Silver Marches, the Mysteries of the Moonsea, or the DMG (temperate?) table? Are there any other weather tables which would give even closer results to Waterdeep?

I remember that a few years back there was a small frame on the Wizards' main site that had the weather of Waterdeep for the day. Are they archived somewhere? If so, I wouldn't have to roll for random weather at all. But all I could find was the legend page for that feature http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/weather

Edited by - Kalevala on 04 Jun 2007 11:31:00

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  14:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Waterdeep's weather patterns are similar/mirrored from the weather in Seattle, WA. Where and when I read that I don't remember this early morning.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  14:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Waterdeep's weather patterns are similar/mirrored from the weather in Seattle, WA. Where and when I read that I don't remember this early morning.
~Kes

Heh, that's certainly interesting. Not sure how to implement that into game terms, though. I might check the Seattle weather reports if nothing else comes up
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  15:50:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

~Kes

That was also what the WOTC weather thingie was based on, until it disappeared when they redid the site.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  16:20:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll also find that most of the Waterdeep sourcebooks themselves, provide brief references on what the local weather can be like at times.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  19:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

~Kes

That was also what the WOTC weather thingie was based on, until it disappeared when they redid the site.

Ah, that must be where I got that notion to begin with. It's hard to make my brain work at 6am.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  21:25:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, that must be where I got that notion to begin with. It's hard to make my brain work at 6am.
~Kes

Could be, could be. And drink some more coffee/tea/whatever. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  23:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You'll also find that most of the Waterdeep sourcebooks themselves, provide brief references on what the local weather can be like at times.

Yeah, there's even a sidebar about it in the FRCS and it's somewhat helpful too, although it doesn't actually help me generate a random weather sequence.

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Kes & Kuje, I think I might go with the Seattle weather, but so far I haven't found any weather report archives. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  00:53:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalevala

Yeah, there's even a sidebar about it in the FRCS and it's somewhat helpful too, although it doesn't actually help me generate a random weather sequence.
Well, those basic details do provide you with enough of an idea of what random weather can be like. In fact, those sections helped me to plot my own basic random weather table for Waterdeep, when I decided to generate a table for my own campaigns.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Jun 2007 00:55:10
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  10:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, those basic details do provide you with enough of an idea of what random weather can be like. In fact, those sections helped me to plot my own basic random weather table for Waterdeep, when I decided to generate a table for my own campaigns.

You're right, of course. Later that day, I thougth of making my own random weather table too. I guess it just never occured to me earlier
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  13:46:42  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you want to try this side.

Than you don't have to do the whole work alone

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/index.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  18:18:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

That's kind of a cool site. Too bad none of the stuff is downloadable...

I'm particularly impressed by the fact they got the date right.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  18:43:10  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I'm not sure if this fits in 100% here or not - but I just had an interesting idea.

WOTC could print a calendar - I'm thinking page-a-day variety - and have the actual Realms dates on it in addition to the Earth-dates. They could choose a place (like Waterdeep) and have moon-phases as well as weather listed on each day - and even a bit of news, or an adventure hook etc. I know I for one would buy such a critter! It would not even have to be Waterdeep-centric if they didnt want it to be....

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  14:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Wow, that's... maybe even more than I was looking for. Thank you, sir!

quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal
WOTC could print a calendar - I'm thinking page-a-day variety - and have the actual Realms dates on it in addition to the Earth-dates. They could choose a place (like Waterdeep) and have moon-phases as well as weather listed on each day - and even a bit of news, or an adventure hook etc. I know I for one would buy such a critter! It would not even have to be Waterdeep-centric if they didnt want it to be....

Try this:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20050525x
IIRC, it doesn't have RL dates but it's got the moon phases and it's printable.

For the adventure hooks, you can copy'n'paste them to the calendar from here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/hookgenerator

I hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  17:23:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

WOTC could print a calendar - I'm thinking page-a-day variety - and have the actual Realms dates on it in addition to the Earth-dates.

It's not hard to make a similar chart for yourself, equating real dates to Realms dates. But you have to assume that 1 January is the first day of Hammer, and that leap year and Shieldmeet happen in the same year.

There was actually a little software program hosted here on the main site that used your computer's date setting to tell you the Realms-date, but I had issues with it in the past, and when I tried it yesterday, it didn't work right.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2007 17:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  00:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
But you have to assume that 1 January is the first day of Hammer, and that leap year and Shieldmeet happen in the same year.

I'm not an expert on this but I'd think that equating the FR calendar equinoxes and solstices to their RL counterparts would be the only 'reliable' way to synchronize the two. Whether that results in Jan 1st being the same as Hammer 1st or not, I'm not certain. Just my 2 cp...
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  14:59:21  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this tit-bit of knowledge, in Dragon 321 there is an article by Ed Greenwood called "Nurneneene's Marvelous Masks"

Its about the famous mask maker Nurneene and her shop, a great read indeed, where Ed describes the typical roof in Waterdeep, which is sloped from side to side and canted in the way that most rain-water falls in the back side of the roof, thus minimizing the amount of water who falls in the main street and the shop's main window.

Now since i dont know the cannon weather in the City of Splendors i can guess from the above that it rains a lot, and that make sense considering that is a sea-side city and has a mountain right in front of it.

In my own campaign i usually have Waterdeep rainy or with lots of fog, and then amost welcome break with sunlight and clear blue sky

Somehow i could compare Waterdeep's weather with London's, but its just my guess, no facts included

Since you run a campaign in Waterdeep i reccoment you to have a look at Ed's whole article in Dragon 321

Damn where did i put my Umbrella?
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  13:18:33  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do umbrellas exist in the realms?

Would guess the nobles and aristocracy of Waterdeep would crave a fashionable item like that.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  21:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Since you run a campaign in Waterdeep i reccoment you to have a look at Ed's whole article in Dragon 321

As it is, I don't have that issue, but I'll certainly look for it at my local fantasy gaming store. I hope they still have it. If they do, it'd be old enough to be in the 1 € bargain shelve.

About umbrellas: I don't know. Parasols maybe? Sounds like a question for Ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  00:49:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umbrellas do exist in the Realms, as they're noted in several 2e sources.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  03:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in the novel Lies of Light, a certain character that I shall not name (as I hate, hate, hate her guts) is mentioned as carrying a parasol in one chapter.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  16:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I couldn't find Dragon issue #321

On umbrellas: I wonder what they're made of and who makes them and where...
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  21:47:17  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad mews, but dont give up hope! After all the article is not a "must" read, just a colourfull description of a specific (minor) location plus some tit-bits of knowledge that i founded interesting. Waterdeep has many other locations (mostly in City of Splendours sourcebook) to introduce to your players so the lack of one wont be much of a problem.

PS: Cant find my umbrella, now where did i put my hooded cloack?

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 14 Jun 2007 21:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  23:13:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
But you have to assume that 1 January is the first day of Hammer, and that leap year and Shieldmeet happen in the same year.

I'm not an expert on this but I'd think that equating the FR calendar equinoxes and solstices to their RL counterparts would be the only 'reliable' way to synchronize the two. Whether that results in Jan 1st being the same as Hammer 1st or not, I'm not certain. Just my 2 cp...

I just had a random thought, which caused me to resurrect this thread...

The reason this isn't reliable is because, officially, the equinox and solstice dates are always the same in the Realms (at least, it is on the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool). Regardless of whether or not Shieldmeet happens, the dates of the equinoxes and solstices always fall on the same date -- Ches 19 for Spring Equinox, Kythorn 20 for the Summer Solstice, Elient 21 for the Autumn Equinox, and Nightal 20 for the Winter Solstice. In the real world, these dates tend to shift between a couple of different days. So, if we used the equinoxes to line up the dates, then we have to reset the calculation every year or two.

My method of just saying Hammer 1 = January 1 is, admittedly, rather arbitrary. But, the equinoxes still wind up happening within a couple of days of each other, and it does make for easier consideration of the Faerūnian calendar.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Aug 2007 23:14:53
Go to Top of Page

evildmguy
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  02:23:20  Show Profile  Visit evildmguy's Homepage Send evildmguy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both Kama's weather generator and Milieu's weather generator program. Both are able to create calendar's for FR and track the moon. I prefer Milieu's for what it can do and KWG kept crashing on me but that could be my computer. So, those are options.

If you really want, send me an email to (jonport @ mchsi . com) and I can create you a couple years worth of weather, with the phases of the moon, and send a variety of reports. If you want, I am offering this. Email me and we can talk more about it.

edg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000