Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR Gift / Box Sets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vexxan
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  10:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Vexxan's Homepage Send Vexxan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just how many paperback boxed sets have been made for FR novels? I honestly expected more than I've found, unless I'm not searching very well.

Starlight & Shadows
Paths of Darkness
Legacy of the Drow
War of the Spider Queen I & II

With all of these reissues coming out (Gateway to Sembia, plethora of Drizzt, etc.), should I be waiting until next year for the nice boxed sets?

Hunter's Blades
Legend of Drizzt I & II
Last Mythal

And if I'm not incorrect, are these newer box sets containing hardcover books? I sincerely hope not.
Why haven't more sets been made?

Edited by - Vexxan on 01 Jun 2007 10:23:54

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  16:26:32  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

While I can't completely answer this with any certainty - only my own deductive reasoning from my many years working in a bookstore...

I would guess that the costs are higher. Most of the time - the price of the boxed set is Exactly the same as the included books, occasionally a few cents off in either direction. Then you have to take into consideration that they need to Make the box - and in virtually all cases - then have said box shrink-wrapped. There is also the somewhat nebulous cost of procuring another ISBN number since the boxed set is actually a differen t critter than each of the books contained therin.

I would definately guess that this is one of the main factors of creating a boxed set.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  07:10:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from my about 20 years of realms novels, I believe the boxed sets are a fairly recent marketing ploy.
Go to Top of Page

Vexxan
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  09:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Vexxan's Homepage Send Vexxan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally like the boxed sets.
I may not be saving vast amounts of coin by purchasing them when they hit the shelves, but if I wait 6 months online stores usually discount them a great deal. I also love the fact that the books come in pristine condition, instead of the 'shelf-wear' or 'shipping damage' books I find in local shops or online stores. The slipcases are also nice.

FR novels haven't been given the boxed set treatment until lately, but Dragonlance has had many of them... some dating back to the TSR days. I hope it's a continuing trend. There are a lot of FR series that I haven't tackled yet but are on my list.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000