Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kelemvor and Raise Dead
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  04:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the campaign I am currently running a guy in our group is playing a cleric of Kelemvor. Last session, our cleric of Kelemvor died.

What I'm wondering is how Kelemvor would feel about letting one of his clerics be brought back to life? I know most realms novels don't deal with raising the dead and most people who die stay dead, but it is not uncommon in our games for someone to be raised.

How would you guys handle this? I don't want to do anything completely out of character for Kelemvor but I also don't want to be a jerk to the player because his character died.

Is there any established information regarding Kelemvor's view of raising the dead?

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  04:19:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to sound evasive, but I think it would depend on how the cleric met his end. Reading over Kelemvor's entry again, it does point out that the senior clergy try to curb the overzealous members of the faith from curbing death too much. This would seem to indicate raising the dead. But later in the entry it also points out that the clergy consideres death by the undead or by rampaging monsters to be unnatural and thus opposed, and as such, perhaps these deaths might be allowed to be "reversed."

I think that if you make it clear that he has a purpose in Kelemvor's grand plan, perhaps huntind down someone that has cheated death or a powerful undead creature, that he will be allowed back to complete this task.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  04:19:53  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Ah - a cleric of Kelemvor! I have great memories of playing one myself!

I can't cite the source - but Kelemvor is generally considered to not only disdain Raise / Resurrect magics - but also magics that extend the lifespan beyond normal lengths. Healing is fine, but a Potion of Longevity would not be.

That being said - I also recall seeing somewhere official (again - sorry I know not the actuall source) that Kelemvor could see his way to allowing a Raise or Resurrect if the person had some 'major things' left to accomplish. There is no mention as to who / what decides what 'major things' are considered to be. That being said - if a current priest of kelemvor is the one needing the Raise - I would assume that Kelemvor himself would be the best judge if s/he still had 'unfinished business' as it were.

Sounds like fun - and a quest or three to boot!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  04:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... The Cleric did not die at the hands of an undead creature, but he did die at the hands (read as spell) of a necromancer who had undead fighting at her side.

The mortal necromacer landed the killing blow on our Doomguide, but he technically was fighting undead as well.

This character already has a major plot hook/character development quest in the running so I'm strongly leaning towards letting him come back.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 19 Apr 2007 04:26:06
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  14:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given those conditions (death by necromancy, major life goal unfinished) I'd certainly think that Kelemvor would allow his raising from the dead. Kelemvor might even do it personally, if it would fit in ith your plot hook and advance the plot of the quest.

Having so recently been mortal, I always portrayed Kelemvor as beening more concerned with mortal obligations than most of the older, more experienced gods. So, I've tended to make him more "hands on" when he chooses to act.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  15:46:40  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Given those conditions (death by necromancy, major life goal unfinished) I'd certainly think that Kelemvor would allow his raising from the dead. Kelemvor might even do it personally, if it would fit in ith your plot hook and advance the plot of the quest.

Having so recently been mortal, I always portrayed Kelemvor as beening more concerned with mortal obligations than most of the older, more experienced gods. So, I've tended to make him more "hands on" when he chooses to act.

As DM, I wouldn't let Kelemvor do it personally. I try to keep personal appearances of the gods out of the game if not absolutely necessary. Rather, I would introduce a immortal servant of Kelemvor: an "angel of death"... call it whatever you like, but it should be something evocative. This NPC could be a recurring ally, something like a wildcard for the DM to support the player/party when they are in trouble - just to call for a favor sometime later (i.e. plot instrument, story hook).

Edited by - tauster on 19 Apr 2007 15:47:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000