Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Banite sermons, prayers and rituals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schattenjäger
Acolyte

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  18:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Schattenjäger's Homepage Send Schattenjäger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone.

I'm currently working on a character concept for a Banite priest that I'll be playing on a persistent roleplaying server of Neverwinter Nights. While I've completed most of the concept itself, I have yet to come up with enough material to use for sermons, prayers, rituals and such. Can you point me towards any such information? I don't care if it's canon or written by other players to be used with similar characters - I'm only looking for more inspiration. I've made up quite a bit so far, but it feels like I'm starting to repeat myself.

Thanks.

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  18:36:02  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you have the faith & pantheon book yet? I suppose you will find information in that book too.

Go to Top of Page

Schattenjäger
Acolyte

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  19:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Schattenjäger's Homepage Send Schattenjäger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've collected everything of relevance from the Faiths and Pantheons and the Lords of Darkness sourcebooks. They've contained few, or no, specific details on sermons, prayers and rituals. I've used what little relevant information I could find, as well as imagination, while working on my own material.

Mostly I'm hoping to come across others who have done the same with their Banite clerics, so that we can compare notes for additional inspiration.

Edited by - Schattenjäger on 24 Mar 2007 09:33:14
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  19:35:56  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmmm, I don't really know how I can help you. Maybe it's a good idea to search the internet for known cults/religions from history or so. But I will take a look and if I find something I sent it to you
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  19:42:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Faiths and Avatars book from 2ed. has a great deal of information, but as I don't own Faiths and Pantheons I cant say how much of this is repeated there. The old Halls of the High king module also has some lore, as might the Ruins of Zenthil Keep box. But as I said, Faiths and Avatars would be my main recommendation.

There might be something in Ed's answers, but I am not sure.
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  20:35:20  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In book 3 of the Last Mythal trilogy: Final Gate there is a little bit of knowledge about what it is to be like a member of the church of Bane.

I am just finishing up this book so it's at the top of my head right now. Just passing that on to you in case you are interested.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 23 Mar 2007 20:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  21:14:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh,

I hope someday that Ed is allowed to produce a sourcebook on these things. We've asked about them repeatedly over the years. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  23:42:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

There might be something in Ed's answers, but I am not sure.

Ed's managed to sneak us a couple of specifics regarding certain deity rituals through the years, though nothing that directly relates to the clergy of Bane unfortunately.

While I'm sure Ed has plenty of details about the rituals of various deities ready for publication, TSR/WotC appear hesitant to put forward such a work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Schattenjäger
Acolyte

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  09:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Schattenjäger's Homepage Send Schattenjäger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback, all. I suppose I'll have to make up the rest, as well. I'll see if I can find Faiths and Avatars someplace though. As my character will be old enough to have served Bane before he was destroyed by Torm... er, "before he withdrew to test the faith of his followers and the strength of the Godson"... I should have done so already.

Edited by - Schattenjäger on 24 Mar 2007 11:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  09:56:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2ed. products are available for download at several sites. it will cost you a few dollars, but it is worth it. I think both Paizo and RPGNow have them available.
Go to Top of Page

Schattenjäger
Acolyte

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  14:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Schattenjäger's Homepage Send Schattenjäger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done. I downloaded the Faiths and Avatars sourcebook from RPGnow.com, and have read through the chapter on Bane. It really puts the 3rd edition Faiths and Pantheons to shame.

What about Powers and Pantheons - does it contain any more interesting information on the clergy of Bane?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  15:01:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schattenjäger

What about Powers and Pantheons - does it contain any more interesting information on the clergy of Bane?

Not really but it contains more info on the "lesser" deities of the Faerun pantheon and the deities of the Mulhorandi and Untheric. Of course, Demihuman Deities, the third book, contains info on the demihuman pantheons.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  15:59:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in the gods of Faerun in general I would get all three of the God books. If you are after Bane solely there is not much in the other two books.
Go to Top of Page

Njord
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  15:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Njord's Homepage Send Njord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the post for the "Last Mythal Trilogy." I know some people did not like it but some of Fzoul's tidbits of wisdom really fleshed out banite worship for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000