Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  08:33:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick message,

There may be some delays for the next few days in responses and updates, as I need to settle down and concentrate on the NWN Drizzt Modules I am helping to create. I'll try an post some new stuff sometime next week.

Thanks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2003 :  20:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, Sage. I like the chainmail the best. But . . . .

Where's Eyetooth? And what of your test of the skull flail?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  06:47:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, those items will be posted either tonight or early tomorrow. I am a little busy at present, so I have had to put the detailed evaluation of the Flail on hold for today.

I will get to them both tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::pouts::

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:27:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have some spare time, so I'll post Bookwyrm's recent additions to the Shop.

Here's the first -

Eyetooth
Amidst the maze of items that crowd the Sage’s Shop, you turn a corner in the seemingly random aisles and find yourself facing a highly unusual longsword. And the sword, it seems, is watching you as well.

A single, lidless eye is set in the crosspiece, slitted like a cat’s, and it is fixed on you. It follows you as you move around it, and you see there are two more eyes, identical to the first, on the pommel and the reverse side of the crosspiece.

This is the semi-sentient sword Eyetooth (longsword +4). It is a blade many find unnerving, but one that is loyal to its holder. It is only when wielded that Eyetooth finds a measure of freedom, of purpose. It is not bloodthirsty, but it does, in essence, love its job.

Damage: 1d8+4 (Special - See Below)
Melee/Ranged: Melee
Size: Medium
Market Price: 45,123 gp
Weight: 10 lbs.
Special:
To use this weapon, one must first bond with it. This merely entails accepting the sword as one’s own primary weapon. It never tricks the wielder, nor does a bonding occur simply by drawing the sword. However, its abilities are not usable until a bonding occurs (it is merely a +2 sword until then).

The bonding has its own penalties. The character temporarily loses 1d4+1 points each of constitution, dexterity, and strength (roll separately), gaining them back at a rate of one every two days. (The player can choose which ability score will be restored each time.) The character is reduced to one-tenth his normal hit-point level, gaining them back normally (minus missing constitution bonuses). The character must also never be far from it or take 3 hp of damage each day (1 per 8 hours).

In return, the sword grants the following powers on the wielder:

* Proficiency with longsword, if not already possessed by the character.

* +2 circumstance bonus on Look and Spot checks. (Not available if the eyes are covered.)

* The character has a +2 bonus to see through illusions. (Not available if the eyes are covered.)

* -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks if the eyes are uncovered: the sword instills an eerie feeling in viewers unused to the sight.

* +2 bonus on Intimidate checks if the eyes are uncovered.

* The character can cast darkvision on himself once per day as a sorcerer of his character level.

* The character can use a true strike ability once per day, as the spell, but only with Eyetooth as the striking weapon.

* The character cannot be flanked. (Available only when the sword is in hand.)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! ^_^ Let's celebrate! Orange juice is on me!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:35:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the next, also by Bookwyrm -

Skull Flail
Due to Kelemvor’s stance on the undead, these weapons are beginning to appear all over Faerun. The prices for this, direct from a cleric of Kelemvor, are sold at just above cost. If obtained through a middleman, then prices are likely to be higher.

It is a simple, yet elegant flail, with inlaid brass circling the wooden handle. Two brass replicas of skulls hang from it by steel chains (each the normal size as the studded balls of a normal weapon of this type). Most of the skull flails are made for medium-sized creatures, but they are also available for small-sized characters. Other sizes will likely have to be ordered specially from the Church of Kelemvor.

Damage: 1d8
Size: Medium
Market Price: 25,123 gp (???)
Weight: 5 lbs.
Special:
The powers of the skull flail are as follows -

* The flail deals double damage versus any undead creature.

* If the character uses any sort of power that deals damage or negative effect to undead (such as the cleric/paladin ability to turn undead, or a spell that deals damage to undead in particular, including those of arcane origin) that power can be channeled though the skull flail. All numbers are doubled. This counts as a full-round action.

* If the character casts any spell to preserve the dead while channeling this spell through the flail, all numbers are doubled.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:38:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now for the comments -

Bookwyrm, I deliberately left out several abilities of the Skull Flail as I felt they overbalanced the weapon. Plus in play-test, it allowed the cleric PC we ran tremendous advantages which disrupted the campaign. I am in the process of toning the abilities down so that they compensate the Flail a little better. I'll post the revised Flail when I complete the modifications.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2003 15:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand. Am I not seeing something? It looks like you only left out the penalties! How would those unbalance the game in favor of the character?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:12:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see how that can be confusing Bookwyrm.

It seems absent-mindedness has again reared it's ugly head here in my bedroom. I have left the wrong portion in and removed the wrong part. I was going over my modifications when I realised they were penalties, and therefore not what I was having problems with. So I'll take the time to quickly explain it here.

This was the portion I had problems with -
quote:
If the character casts any spell or exercises an ability that aids or commands the undead (and that means any such spell, even something like disguise undead) while the flail is on his or her person, it bestows two negative levels on the character and the spell is lost. The character continues to have these negative levels until the effect is dispelled by a cleric of Kelemvor of third level or higher. If the flail is touching the skin of the character while the illegal action is undertaken, the flail remains there, unless the character physically cuts it free. If the character attempts another illegal action in this way while still possessing the flail, it bestows one more negative level for each attempt.
To me it had seemed that the negative levels, while a good idea, seemed to severe a reduction. But after running the weapon through the play-test we did it seemed to work just fine, although not having a cleric of Kelemvor around soon became a problem. So in fact there was no problem at all with this part.

In the end, the only real problem was this portion -
quote:
Any character may use this, except those with the undead template. No restrictions for alignment or deity.
For the power and level of the weapon it should not be so easy to use by just anyone. It should be a weapon restricted solely to clerics, or at least clerics of Kelemvor. That will balance the weapons abilities and make it a fit better into a campaign.

Sorry about the mistake Bookwyrm, I guess it's just all part of running a very busy Shop ::Sighs::

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:16:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here are the full abilities for the Skull Flail - minus the portion I was having problems with. I will try to correct it and then add it in -

*The flail can only be wielded by cleric PC's or Clerics of Kelemvor

*The flail deals double damage versus any undead creature.

*If the character uses any sort of power that deals damage or negative effect to undead (such as the cleric/paladin ability to turn undead, or a spell that deals damage to undead in particular, including those of arcane origin) that power can be channeled though the skull flail. All numbers are doubled. This counts as a full-round action.

*If the character casts any spell to preserve the dead while channeling this spell through the flail, all numbers are doubled.

*If the character casts any spell or exercises an ability that aids or commands the undead (and that means any such spell, even something like disguise undead) while the flail is on his or her person, it bestows two negative levels on the character and the spell is lost. The character continues to have these negative levels until the effect is dispelled by a cleric of Kelemvor of third level or higher. If the flail is touching the skin of the character while the illegal action is undertaken, the flail remains there, unless the character physically cuts it free. If the character attempts another illegal action in this way while still possessing the flail, it bestows one more negative level for each attempt.

Now that's all right, in the end Bookwyrm it is quite a fine weapon, indeed. Great work, and I hope you have more on the way!.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2003 16:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I find the cleric-only part to be okay. As for the negative levels, I was thinking that it would be common knowledge (told by the clerics of Kelemvor themselves).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:26:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's sounds good.

I'll make the necessary changes to the entry.

Go to Top of Page

Leona
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  03:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Leona's Homepage Send Leona a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Tyr mace, you can use the Impact property from the F&P source book instead of the Keen property. The keen property cannot be used on a bludgeoning weapon. The Impact property serves the same purpose but cannot be used on edge weapons.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  04:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good catch, Leona.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  06:59:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leona said -
quote:
For the Tyr mace, you can use the Impact property from the F&P source book instead of the Keen property. The keen property cannot be used on a bludgeoning weapon. The Impact property serves the same purpose but cannot be used on edge weapons.
Quite right Leona, thank you for the observation. But I must say that while I was aware of this, in my campaign at the time, it was necessary for the mace to have the keen ability. Besides my FR campaign has many "new" rules that I have crafted myself, to address things that I do not like about official FR.

Thanks anyway,

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  16:04:51  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I apologize if this should have been posted elsewhere, but I did not see a relevant topic. Since the people here seem to know a lot about magic, I thought I'd ask where you'd be likely to respond. I have been looking into Spellfire, and I am just curious, is it possible to combine the Spellfire ability to absorb magical energy with the spell energy drain? Or are there any other spells or artifacts that might have like ability? The reason I'm asking is that I used to play Magic the Gathering in college, and I was looking for an ability similar to "Drain Life", where the caster can drain life from someone and use it for themselves. I know this would probably be something an "evil" PC would do, but I haven't been able to find anything close enough to what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  16:20:10  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so you know, I did think about posting within the Spellfire topic, but since the question was so broad, I thought it might fit better within this "creative magic" category. (I'm just so excited to have found this site, and I really don't want to step on any toes. Everyone has been absolutely wonderful since I logged on a few days ago.)Thanks for all your help.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2003 :  21:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That exists, actually; it's a necromancy spell. I can't remember the name of it though. Vampiric Touch is another one, but that's not permanent (the points are temporary, and fade after an hour).

As for an artifact, I can only think of one right off the top of my head; it's from Salvatore's novels: Artemis Entreri's dagger. It does exactly what you were asking for. I don't know the game stats for it, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  07:48:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the dagger you are referring to Bookwyrm is Entreri's famous jewel-encrusted dagger.

As for it's stats, in 2e it's said to be a +4 dagger, defender (life-stealer). It's stats in 3e have not changed, so they are still the same.

As for describing it's abilities, well if you haven't read The Legacy by R A Salvatore, I won't provide much detail other than the fact that there is a passage in the text that clearly describes the effects of the dagger, and what it is capable of. It is described in semi-graphic detail on page no.294 of the paperback edition.

Without going into novel details I will now describe the basic abilities of the dagger -

Basically the dagger draws the life energy from anyone it impales and tranfers that stolen life energy to the wielder of the dagger. It can also be used to steal life energy away from others in battle to heal the wielder's wounds. However I do not think there are any stats to support this. If there are, I have obviously over looked some tome, or obscure reference made somewhere. I will search through some books to see what I can find.

Hope that helps,

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  07:51:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update -

I should have some new items by either Thursday, or Friday at the latest, so keep your eyes glued to this scroll for some new and great developments.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new weapon.

Eckenshar

Cost: 10,315 gp
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor,summon monster I
Castor Level: 8th
Cost to Create: 5,158 gp + 2,579 XP
Weight: 3 lbs.
Special: Bane vs. Aberrations

This is a +1 bane vs aberrations scimitar, crafted by the druid Torkon Menoti to help defend his land, his home and his friends. He carries it still at his waist and will carry it until he dies.

PS: Thank you Sadon for the name!!!!

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.

Edited by - Targon Moonrise on 29 May 2003 01:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:19:56  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. You guys ROCK!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:43:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this weapon Targon, a fine addition to the Magic Shop.

Thankyou for your contribution.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:46:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, it's time for some new additions to the Shop, so here is the first -

Crown of Selune's Wisdom
The Crown of Selune's Wisdom, is a silvery non-descript head-band that seems to shimmer in bright light. The crown has a inherent enchantment which allows the crown to automatically adjust it's size to fit the head of anyone who wears it. The crown's effects are generally subtle and slow to appear. The wearer does not usually become aware of the crowns abilities until a maximum of 2 days of continuous contact with the wearer.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Holy Aura
Market Price: 58,324 gp
Special:
It grants the wearer the Iron Will feat and a +2 bonus to Wisdom. Once every 2 days the wearer can cast Holy Aura, but the wearer gains one negative level for doing so. The negative level remains for 12 hours.

Let me know what you think,

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:48:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next item -

Shield of Torm
The Shield of Torm is a magical item found amongst the wreckage of a Cormyr Trireme warship on the northern shores of the Dragon Coast. At present it is unknown who the warship belonged to or where it came from. There were no bodies or any evidence of attack appearing on the wreckage, other than the fact that the ship had been damaged when it drifted ashore against the rocky coast. Most of the ship was left intact. The party of adventurers who discovered the ship detailed that the only items found on the ship were several long swords, a magical component pouch, with the components now no longer of any use due to sea-water damage and exposure, and the magical shield hidden in a weapons locker below deck. The only clues as to where the ship and it's shield may have come from was from several sentences written on the last page of the Captain's log. The logbook itself was waterdamaged, and most of the script had been watered away, however the Loremaster for the adventuring party managed to discern several keywords that may account for the ships origin. The words - "Eleint", "Reach", "Cormyrian", "Neck Passage", "Urdogen", and finally the date of the last log entry "1209DR", are the only clues that could possible lend fact to the origin of the ship. There was no mention made in the log of the shield itself.

Caster Level: 8th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be 8th level
Market Price: 36,321 gp
Cost to Create: 16,398 gp + 960 XP
Special:
This +2 large steel shield bears symbol of Torm emblazed on the frontside. When facing any evil-aligned undead, the shield's bonus increases to +4.

As always, let me know what you think,

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2003 08:03:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:50:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final item for today -

Sea-Elven Trident
The Sea-Elven Trident is standard equipment for all Captains of Sea-Elven patrols that regularly travel up and down the length of the Sword Coast guarding their underwater enclaves. The trident's are manufactured inside the Sea-Elven enclaves and are granted to the captain upon his taking command of a standard patrol unit.

Description:
The Sea-Elven Trident is a narrow 6 foot in length steel trident inlaid with green sea pseudo-crystals and a silver-pearl coloured threading along it's length. The three tips of the trident are particularly well sharpened and the shaft is thin and sturdy. The three points are of equal length of approximately 40 cm.

Special:
The Sea-Elven Trident acts as a +1 trident and deals +2d4 damage against any land-based non-elven creatures

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2003 07:51:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:53:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's it for today.

I should have some new items by next Thursday or Friday, so keep this scroll handy, fellow sages.

Oh, and keep those contributions coming, this shop may soon be getting some particularly special attention.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Caster Level: 9th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be 8th level

Is that a contradiction, or do I just not know what I'm talking about?

I like the mystery element, though. I ought to add something like that to one of my items that have yet to arrive. I suppose I'd better finish forging and enchanting them first, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:02:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOOPS .

That was definitely a grave typo on my part, thanks for picking that up Bookwyrm.

And, should I expect these new items to arrive by Interplanar Email, or are they to be posted outside of the shop?.

Just curious,

Thanks anyway,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000