Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  10:10:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This last one was a particular player favorite -

Troll Weed
Preparation: 10 min. liquid/3 min. mixture only
DC: 20
Dosage: 4
Duration: 1 hour if drunk, 20 minutes if chewed
Description: This mixtures of different herbs and weeds that when prepared properly help restore a character’s health. Character gains 1 point of health as well as a +3 bonus to all fort saves for the duration of the mixture.
Material Cost: 400 gp

Next up: special types of magical incense...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  15:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Capture and catalogue rare insects you say? Would any of these insects happen to be magical? hehe I'm just teasing but really why not use some of them for ideas for monster insects? Or if not maybe just as spell components

By the way awesome stuff Any of it come from a particular region? Like Troll Weed might have originated in the Evermoors?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  06:46:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said previously, these potions were originally created for my DL campaign, so their origins are tied to the world of Krynn for my gaming purposes. Although, the 'Troll Weed' could I suppose have come from the Evermoors . I have another brew which originally come from the Farsea Marshes, and some incense that came from the jungles of Chult, but since they both haven't seen play-testing I'm hestitant to post them here.

I'll have something by tomorrow...hopefully .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  09:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This . . . "numbweed" . . . it wouldn't be made in an incredibly stinky process that can only be done with a particular plant found on a world with Negligable Resources, that otherwise Parallels Earth?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  12:38:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err...::looks about cautiously for a moment::...No...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  15:31:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

This . . . "numbweed" . . . it wouldn't be made in an incredibly stinky process that can only be done with a particular plant found on a world with Negligable Resources, that otherwise Parallels Earth?

I had a similar thought when I read that! I like the way you phrased the question, though.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  08:39:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's incense time -

Incense of Dreams
Preparation: 4 hrs.
DC: 25
Dosage: 4 applications
Duration: 5 hrs. per application
Description: The small rectangular blocks of sweet smelling incense when lit offer a pleasant aroma that make all within a 30-foot radius of the incense fall asleep as if placed in a sleep spell. A character can make a Will save to negate its effects. A character under the effects of this incense will stay asleep until the duration expires (when the incense burns out) or if vigorously shaken and such (similar to a sleep spell).
Material Cost: 700 gp

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2004 10:57:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  08:40:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incense of Meditation
Preparation: 4 hrs
DC: 30
Duration: 5 hrs per application
Description: The small rectangular blocks of sweet smelling incense when lit offer a pleasant aroma that allow the character to more easily meditate and/or concentrate. In gaming terms, an arcane/divine spell caster only requires half the normal time to study and/or sleep before memorizing/preparing his/her spells when under the influence of this incense.
Material Cost: 700 gp

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  08:41:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incense of Smoke
Preparation: 4 hrs.
Duration: varies
Description: The small sticks of incense when lit have a similar effect to the smoke effect of a Pyrotechnics spell. When lit, a writhing stream of smoke billows out from the incense stick and forming a choking cloud. The cloud spreads 20 in all directions and lasts for 20 minutes if indoors or 3 minutes in the open air. All sight, even darkvision, is ineffective in or through the cloud. All within the cloud suffer –4 penalties to Strength and Dexterity scores (Fortitude negates). These effects last for 1d4+1 rounds after the cloud dissipates or after the character leaves the area of the cloud. Spell resistance does not apply, as this is not a spell.
Material Cost: 300 gp

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  10:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the incense of meditation; it's similar to a spell I was attempting to craft before that hard drive crash of mine. I suppose I ought to try again, now.

Oh, by the by, Sage: you might want to run the incense of dreams through a spellcheck. There's a word in there that you might want to change, since the mispelling makes it something very, very different.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  10:59:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Bookwyrm...

I'm not sure how that slipped in there though . The 'Incense of Dreams' has been used in a campaign and yet no one realised that spelling error... I wonder whether I should be a little disturbed by that...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  11:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, even the mispelling was mispelled, so I don't think you have to worry about any subconscious feelings coming to the surface. Unless, of course, your subconscious doesn't know how to spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  11:13:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, my subconscious knows how to spell . Although we often don't see eye to eye on things...

Sorry, that's a psychiatrist's joke...

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2004 11:15:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  10:20:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, onto lesser reagents -

Airsweet
Preparation: 2 hrs.
Dosage: 10 ounces
Duration: 1 hour per ounce, if placed on skin consider as one once with duration of 1 hr.
Description: It is a liquid commonly stored in a glass/metal vial or pendant with the cover slightly open. As it evaporates, it keeps the air smelling very pleasant. Some dab this on their skin as well, which gives a +1 effective Charisma point on checks where good appearances matter, such as Diplomacy, but the itching it causes also gives dexterity -1.
Material Cost: 250 gp

[special note: thanks to the Bookwyrm for the improved suggestion of effects]

Edited by - The Sage on 21 May 2004 15:29:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  10:21:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essence of Awakening
Preparation: 2 hrs.
Dosage: 10
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: It is a liquid commonly stored in a glass or metal vial. When opened, a strong odor is given off (similar to what we know as smelling salts). This smell is so potent that it can wake up a sleeping character (natural or magical sleep) as well as revive characters that are unconscious. In addition, any character under mind influencing spells, abilities or psionics (e.g., confusion, hypnotism, maze, etc.) gain an additional chance to save and snap out of it.
Special Note: Using the essence too often has a negative effect. If a character uses the Essence of Awakening more then twice within 4 rounds or more then three times per day, the character’s sense of smell is so overwhelmed, that for the duration of 24 hours, the character will be dazed and suffer all effects as if dazed.
Material Cost: 300 gp

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  10:22:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essence of Obsession
Preparation: 6 hrs.
Dosage: 10 ounces
Duration: 1 hour per ounce
Description: It is a liquid commonly stored in a glass/metal vial or pendant with the cover slightly open. This perfume is dabbed this on their skin and any person. Any person that smells this perfume (within 5 foot radius) that is of the opposite sex as the wearer must make a Will or be charmed similarly to a charm spell. If the wearer is of the same or a halfbreed of the target race, then the person smelling this perfume saves with a penalty of –1.
Note: The target must be within 5 feet from the wearer of the
Special Note: The target must be within 5 feet from the wearer of the perfume for it to be effective. If once affected target comes back into a range another Will save will be made (for every such time) but with a penalty of –2.
Material Cost: 600 gp

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  12:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You ought to change that bonus on the Airsweet to something like "+1 effective Charisma point on checks where good appearance matters, such as Diplomacy." I don't see how smelling good would affect things like Intimidate, Use Magic Device, or -- especially -- spellcasting.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  13:09:49  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love some of the items you've made Sage! I shall post below the first spell I ever made, with help from some rather mean people from the WotC boards. I hope I havn't mistaken the use for this thread.

quote:
Okay. The idea for this spell just occurred to me today, and I decided to make it. I haven't disguised where it has come from and have tried to make it as legend-friendly as possible.
This is my first attempt at creating a balanced spell, so I am hoping for many helpful or critical comments on how I can improve it.

[Edit: I've added some FR flavor. The gold turns into pyrite when melted down - stopping the gold created being melted down for gain. Thanks very much to Jensun for suggesting this, and a lot else of the modified spell.
Please tell me what you think of the new spell and the Initiate of Waukeen feat.]

Midas' Touch
Midas' Touch
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Initiate of Waukeen 8
Components: S, V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Effect: Turns objects or people to gold
Duration: 1 round per level (Permanent) (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell draws upon the terrible and ancient power of Midas, the cursed King of legend who got all that he wished for and then wished that he hadn't. Ancient lore has it that the spell was first developed by devout priests of Waukeen as 'The Touch of Eternal Wealth', and the secret stolen from them by greedy wizards. Even to this day Waukeen is said to punish those who would abuse her greatest gift.

When casting this spell the casters hands are surrounded by a golden glow which provides light equivalent to a torch. The spell remains in effect for one round per caster level and each round the caster may make a single touch attack as a standard action against either an object or creature.

If a target creature fails the Fortitude save then they are turned into pure gold. The caster can also turn nonmagical objects to gold with a touch. Objects weighing up to 20 pounds per caster level can be transformed in this way. Attended objects receive saving throws based upon their owners save.

This spell does not affect constructs, elementals, metallic true dragons, outsiders or creatures with the shapechanger subtype. The transformation is permanent unless the gold is tampered with, but this spell can also be dispelled with dispel magic or polymorph any object.

The caster may make only 1 touch attack per round and can never make more attacks than his caster level even if the spells duration is extended. While the spell is in effect he may cast no other spells although he can still activate spell completion and other items.

The objects turned to gold only remain so while they are in their original form. If the are broken, melted, burned etc then those seperated sections turn into useless iron pyrite, fools gold. If the gold object or creature is shattered entirely then it reverts to its original form.

Vindictive djinn or deities who wish to teach a lesson will sometimes bestow a version of this spell that makes the touch permanant, staying even after the normal one round per level duration, on people who make particularly greedy or materialistic wishes or miracle spells, thereby making everything they touch turn to gold. Midas was one such unfortunate.

Arcane Material Component: Saliva of a greedy person and 1 gold piece.

Initiate of Waukeen [Initiate]
You have been initiated into the greatest secrets of Waukeen's church.
Prerequesites: Cleric level 5th, patron deity Waukeen.
Benefit: You receive a +3 bonus to Diplomacy and Bluff checks when buying, selling or haggling.
In addition, you may add the following spells to your cleric spell list.
Level
2nd Gold Finder (Random Encounters): Detects the presence of gold within 100 ft. + 10 ft/level area.
7th Word of Balance (Underdark): Kills, paralyzes, weakens, or nauseates non-neutral creatures.
8th Midas' Touch: Turns objects or people to gold.
Special: The word of balance spell also appears on the Balance domain list. With this feat, you can cast it as a regular cleric spell, not just a domain spell.

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 May 2004 10:16:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  15:27:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You ought to change that bonus on the Airsweet to something like "+1 effective Charisma point on checks where good appearance matters, such as Diplomacy." I don't see how smelling good would affect things like Intimidate, Use Magic Device, or -- especially -- spellcasting.

I have to agree with you on this, unfortunately some of my players interpret Intimidate rather broadly (namely as an aspect of persuasion). And we all know how something which smells good can be persuasive and/or seductive.

I'll make the changes though, not only because I prefer your suggestion, but I never really agreed with the players ideas on Intimidate anyway .

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:11:08  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I have to agree with you on this, unfortunately some of my players interpret Intimidate rather broadly (namely as an aspect of persuasion). And we all know how something which smells good can be persuasive and/or seductive.

I'll make the changes though, not only because I prefer your suggestion, but I never really agreed with the players ideas on Intimidate anyway .

Why the drawback? A potion of Eagle's Splendor is what about 300gp? which produces more than double the effect that this does and only costs 50 gp more. I think it would be fine without the drawback.

Besides a diplomat scratching is hardly dignified... :)

and I should know :)

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:19:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can tell you about the drawback is that it was a specific campaign component, and was necessary at the time. However, since removing it will have little effect on the reagent, the DM can alter it if she so wishes...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  08:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[...]unfortunately some of my players interpret Intimidate rather broadly (namely as an aspect of persuasion). And we all know how something which smells good can be persuasive and/or seductive.

Here's how I consider such skills:

Bluff: Convince someone to do something, and/or believe what you're saying/doing is true, but not necessarily agree with it.
Example: Get the NPC to believe that you have a perfect right to be there.

Diplomacy: Smooth talking, to get someone to do something and agree with you about it.
Example: Get the NPC to willingly aid you in your task.

Gather Information: How easily you can strike up a conversation and steer it without seeming to.
Example: Get the NPC to tell you where the object of your search is.

Intimidate: Force someone to do something they wouldn't do otherwise. This only affects actions, not belief.
Example: Bully the NPC into getting the object of your search.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:09:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...perhaps I should show my players this .

Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  05:51:59  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, if someone could assist me I would appreciate it. I am looking for the cost or listing for glasses that allow someone to read magic. I know how to calculate the cost except for the fact that read magic is a zero level spell, which if entered into the equation makes all cost equal zero. (we use 3rd edition not 3.5). If anyone could tell me where this is addressed or where there is a listing for glasses that do this thank you.

Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  06:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 0-level spell, when used in those formulae, costs half of what a 1st-level spell would. This is noted at the bottom of those tables.
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  08:17:09  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dohh!!! Thank you very much. I knew I had seen it somewhere before and looked all over for it, except right in front of me apparently.
Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  19:30:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shortly after I wandered onto the WotC forums for the first time (lo, these many moons ago!), I found a thread where someone was questioning a bit of artwork.

I don't recall the exact source, or any of the other participants of the thread, but the original comment was focusing on a bit of artwork that showed Alustriel with brown hair. Since all Seven Sisters are known to have silver hair, the original poster was wondering what was going on there. My first comment was simply to point out how often the art did not coincide with the descriptions. But the thread continued, and then I was hit with one of my silly bits of inspiration. Since I was just reminded of it in another thread, I decided to post it here. Thanks for reminding me, AlacLuin!

Notation: I just came up with the concept. I don't recall who added the notes on the in-game creation of the potion, but that creator is of course fully credited with adding the crunch!

Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye

Okay, I'll admit it: it's me. I've been selling Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye in the Realms for many years now. Ten gold for a bottle, ten doses to a bottle. A single dose of Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye will cover the head of a medium-sized humanoid, and can be applied in minutes, but lasts for one full month (thirty days). During that time, the wearer can mentally control the color and style of their hair, changing either by act of will, once a day. The style and color choice will remain until the wearer decides to change either, or until the dose wears off.

A side effect is that all body hair (eyebrows, etc) is affected by Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye, even though it's usually only applied to the head.

Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye is currently available in larger cities of the Realms, and from any outlet of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog.

Disclaimer: Wooly Rupert is not a Thayvian, and his products are not in anyway connected to that nation or its people.

Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye: Prerequisite: Brew Potion, Disguise self. Minimum Caster Level 5

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 May 2004 20:05:51
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  22:52:10  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would go over well in Waterdeep, Wooly. Or among a few thieves' guilds.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:14:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Blood
Preparation: 30 min.
DC: 30
Duration: 2 hrs. per dosage
Description: Created from various herbs and plants (the main ingredient is the liquid from a Red Dragon Flower and hence its name), brewed and then finished in a special distillation process, this reagent when applied to one’s eyes allow the character to enhance his/her vision. For the above-mentioned duration, the character gains dark vision and a +3 bonus to all spot and search checks.
Special Note: In order to create Dragon Blood, alchemical equipment is required.
Material Cost: 900 gp

Edited by - The Sage on 31 May 2004 08:18:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:17:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Tears
Preparation: 30 min.
Duration: 2 hrs. per dosage
Description: Created from various herbs and plants (the main ingredient is the liquid from a Dragon Flower and hence its name), brewed and then finished in a special distillation process, this reagent when applied to one’s eyes allow the character to enhance his/her vision. For the above-mentioned duration, the character gains low-light vision and a +2 bonus to all spot and search checks.
Special Note: In order to create Dragon Tears, alchemical equipment is required.
Material Cost: 750 gp

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000