Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  09:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only +3? I would have thought Alaundo would have an epic-level staff. +15, perhaps?

Granelgeim sounds very interesting, especially because of my character, Jack Archer. I think that if he found that sword, he'd be torn between it and his own masterwork blade. He's rather attatched to it. (Probably what will happen is he'll -- hopefully -- get enough spare change to get his own rapier permanently enchanted, or he'll take the Craft Magic Weapons and Armor feat to do so himself. Magical rapiers aren't very common in the Realms.)

I forgot to mention some background on the dagger arm-sheaths I posted. They're actually a creation from my brother's first serious story; the main character (a minor elven noble who was a pretty powerful spellcaster and potential Grand Mage) had them; the daggers were enchanted to go through almost any non-magical armor, and would magically return to the sheaths after a full minute from when the owner last touched them.

This was in about 1992 or so. I make a note of this because a famous TV show has something similar. When the first episode of Angel aired a few years back, I'm sure a lot of people watching it gave some form of an "ohmanthatiscool" reaction when the title character whipped out his straped-on stakes. In the case of myself and my brother, though, it was mixed in equal measure with "heytheystolethat!" and "sothat'swhatitlookslike." The motion Angel used was very similar to the flex/twist/throw motion my brother described, even though the stakes don't ever leave the devices. Even the look of them, when he takes them off later, is very similar to the description my brother made.

I created these stats when I stole the idea for my first character, which I made in my time of innocence before I even got my copy of The Player's Handbook. Or rather, I described their function to Mumadar; the actual stats are quite a bit more recent. The character (Kevin Janis, half-elven wizard level-3) has two, a gift from his deceased elven father. They hold his father's first two weapons, a pair of masterwork slivered daggers; as such, they have great sentimental value and are also a great comfort to him as he travels on his own in the world.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  13:01:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that particular episode, mainly because one of my players wished to devise some rules in 2e to emulate that feat. It may also have been because we where adventuring in Barovia, Ravenloft at the time.

Cardinal, I like the Staff, and the Far Realm connection is also a nice plus.

When I read through your background section on the staff, I immediately came to think that maybe the staff itself was some kind of Far Realm creature that had assumed a form of 'order' upon entering the Material Plane - it's not that far a stretch, at least according to the MotP 3e. Perhaps Winterwood (in his months of experimentations with the Far Realm portal) slowly fell under the thrall of the staff-creature. This certainly fits nicely with everything we have discussed so far in regards to the Far Realm. The staff creature could have been using the various wielder's - who each came into contact with the staff - to open a large enough portal to the Far Realm to allow for an invasion.

Again this fits in nicely with what we know of the Far Realm and Daruth Winterwood.

Anyway, nice work. I hope you have more exciting items on the way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  18:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth
Maecenus, this is certainly an interesting new item. It's seems well balanced, and would hold up well in a lengthy campaign. I'd like to hear a little more about this adventure though...perhaps you could write-up a journal-like entry for the Adventuring section of the library?.

Sage of Perth and Bookwyrm, thanks for the comments. I have several other magic items I could post, if no one minds of course. As for the adventure, Granelgeim comes from the second in a series of adventures I designed for a campaign. The first is entitled "A Winter Storm in Amn" and the second is "Deep Beneath the Clouds".

Both of these can be downloaded at RPGArchive.

http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=582
http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=688
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  23:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I remember that particular episode, mainly because one of my players wished to devise some rules in 2e to emulate that feat. It may also have been because we where adventuring in Barovia, Ravenloft at the time.

That strikes me as far from worth it. In the TV series, vampires turn to dust when they are staked. In D&D (as in most folklore and other fantasies), simple staking doesn't kill a vampire. In fact, if I remember correctly, a D&D vampire is only immobilized by a stake to the heart. Fire, beheading, or sun exposure is required to finish it all off. (Preferably all three -- one should always be thorough when dealing with the undead. )

To do something like that for vampire-fighting, you'd need a launcher. In that respect, you'd either have to have a mini-crossbow or one of my other items: the tube of launching. Actually, that last one might make for an excellent concealed weapon, if worn like my arm-sheath. (Wasn't there a Marvel character with something like that?)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  04:25:56  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows to sage*
You honor me with your praise and kind words.
Indeed perhaps the staff is indeed a living extention of the enitity.
One can never be too sure when dealing with alien entities and their artifacts....
I shall sift and search and see if I can grant you and dare part with some oddities and rarities from my.... eccentric collection...
Just remember all items I deal in are never one sided. Great power comes at equally or greater cost...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  05:54:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
That strikes me as far from worth it. In the TV series, vampires turn to dust when they are staked. In D&D (as in most folklore and other fantasies), simple staking doesn't kill a vampire.
And that is exactly why a put a stop to his efforts. When it comes to issues like this, conformity to the D&D rules is paramount, at least in my games.

Bookwyrm also said -
quote:
Actually, that last one might make for an excellent concealed weapon, if worn like my arm-sheath. (Wasn't there a Marvel character with something like that?)
The only one I can think of at the moment is Shotgun II, but he was never popular...in fact IIRC he was killed by the Scourge organisation only after two appearances. Of course he's probably not the one you are thinking of, so I'll have to check my Marvel Superheroes Encyclopedia.

Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
I shall sift and search and see if I can grant you and dare part with some oddities and rarities from my.... eccentric collection...
Just remember all items I deal in are never one sided. Great power comes at equally or greater cost...
Sounds good. I can't wait.

In fact maybe we should have theme weeks, utilising some sort of theme to create magical items around. What do you all think?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  06:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good idea, Sage. And I managed to find the time this weekend to piece together a new item:

Vanaeir's Helix

This helix is made of five differently colored tubes of glassteel: red, blue, white, black, purple. The tubes are weaved together as if in a traditional helix, except for at the end of the helix, where they all meet in a point. This point is capped with a diamond. The tubes are open-ended at the larger end of the helix, so that liquids can be poured into them. Depending upon the liquid, and the tube that the liquid is poured into, a different ray is sent from the diamond. All liquids poured within the helix disappear during the creation of the ray. The red tube creates a ray of flame(fire damage), while the blue tube sends forth a blast of ice(cold damage), the white tube creates positive energy, the black creates negative energy, and the purple creates a force effect(normal damage). The amount of damage depends upon the liquid used.

Questions?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  08:33:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it.

What about the range stats though?

Hmm...with just a little modification, this could be of great use to the psionic Crystal Master PrC. I might work up a derivative for those among us who prefer psionics.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  09:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd leave that another variable for the liquid used to determine. What would you change to convert it to psionics? I'd be interested, seeing as you seem to be swamped right now...
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  21:59:28  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you are right sage, a Theme week would be very intresting, as I will always craft items of high quality and dangerous drawbacks.
I can hardly wait... My forge, hammer, and enchantment spells stand at the ready... You need only ask and I shall do...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  22:02:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to me that there are enough of us to carry on a "theme week" for very long.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  01:32:17  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nay I disagree as long as there is one then there is enough. More than that is a bonus. Anyways, we need only to slip away from the chores and scrolls Alaundo put on us for a minute, a bit of mischief with some enchanments here and there, then back to work.
*A great grin appears on Cardinal Deimos' face*
Alaundo would never know we were gone... *ahem* Anyways I gotta get back to mopping the floors...
* Grabs his mop and bucket and slinks out of the room*

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  07:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there's the four of us: The Sage, Bookwyrm, Cardinal Deimos, and me. I think that's enough, especially if those of us who have some spare time generate multiple items.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  07:51:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed...although Bookwyrm does have a point. If it looks like this 'theme' idea is struggling after the first few weeks I'll just throw the idea out.

In any event, I normally craft two to three items per week, so as long as the rest of you (that is if you want to contribute) generate at least one item, this should work.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  07:55:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, I working on the 'psionic' alternative now. Hopefully it will be ready for tomorrow's first updates...

And no, there is no theme for this week, since I only just stated the idea yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  08:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll give it a shot. I believe in democracy and all that.

Will the themes be around powers, types, or purposes?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  08:22:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...powers and purposes will probably be the easiest themes to work with, and we do want this to be easy...

But if you want to try something with a type-theme go right ahead.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  08:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, you pick something. I'm just going to sit back and watch, unless I can think of something. I unfortunately don't have time for idle, unfocused brainstorming when it comes to this sort of thing, at least not at the moment.

(Sometimes I feel like throttling my history professor's throat. Or maybe just put all his notes out of order.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  08:58:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd settle for the notes out of order....

I can fully appreciate what you are saying Bookwyrm. This week has been my first full free-week in months. Of course, I have exams coming up, so study will again occupy most of my time...oh well...As for 'unfocused brainstorming', I think the last time I had the opportunity to do that...Silver Marches was just hitting the shelves. Everything after that point has been following up what has been started previously.

Okay, well for next week (the week starting on Sunday/Monday-30th November/1st December), the first theme will be based on powers, items with powers that enchance (or reduce, depending upon your inclination) a PC's ability scores...something nice and easy to start off with.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2003 :  09:21:48  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you can trust in a Cardinal of The Far northern Climes to Aid you ( Tis a slow season) plus I have a wonderful Idea for a very special ring....

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  05:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, there was this armor that nasty half-elven wizard would give to his guard force. I had the dubious pleasure of running into him while on my travels. He was . . . difficult to reason with.

Perhaps I'll pay him a visit, see if that curse I put on him's still holding, and maybe steal a suit from his armory.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  07:53:59  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find if incredulous that anyone wouldn't want to reason with you. I hear that Dragons tend to be... irritable when angered....

-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 26 Nov 2003 07:54:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  07:57:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, here's the first new update (at least by me...)

Pelagosia's Exponential Tome of Spells
The halfling wizardress, Pelagosia penned three of these unusual texts during her very short career as court wizard to Brelbach the Proud. Covered in plain brown-dyed leather hide, these thin tomes of a very nondescript nature contain within their scrap parchment pages special magical instructions. Only arcane spellcasters possess the necessary skill and knowledge to read and understand these instructions. The spellcaster, upon reading the entirety of the text, acquires the feats Enlarge Spell, and Extend Spell at no additional cost to the PC.

Caster Level: 4th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 4,500 gp; Weight: 3lbs.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  07:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This next item is a little different from what has been presented previously. It is an item that makes use of the skills Alchemy, and Profession (herbalist)

Breakmaker
Breakmaker is a viscous bright red, oily, and alchemically crafted substance. When applied to the surface on any material it will quickly reduce it's hardness by 4 points (this is to a base minimum of 0), and reduces it's break DC by 2 point. After thirty minutes, the substance becomes inert and will start to evaporate. During this period the material is restored to it's normal hardness and break DC. Break-maker does not have any affect on creatures of any kind or type. One dose of this substance is enough to cover a 1/2 square foot and affects a thickness of up to 6 inches of wood or bone, 2 inches of stone, or 1 inch of metal.

Alchemy check: DC 15 to create; Market Price: 30 gp; Weight: 1/4lb. per jar

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  08:00:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last item for today -

Light of Selune
These are clear intricately crafted crystal orbs, which are often (circumstance dependent) about 3 inches in diameter. They will appear unexceptional to all by the light of day, however at night (either indoors or outside) they glow with a pale, silvery-white light which some describe as reminiscent of the moonlight from Selune. It will faintly illuminate an area with a 30ft. radius. In addition to this ability, once per night (usually at midnight) a Light of Selune can provide a ghostly-type of insight into one dilemma, as a divination cast by a 10th-level cleric. These items are favored possessions of the clerics of Selune.

Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, continual flame, divination; Market Price: 7,000 gp; Weight: 1/2lb.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  08:02:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that's it for me this week. Next week all items presented will be themed around items with powers that enchance (or reduce, depending upon your inclination) a PC's ability scores.

I hope to see some exciting items...

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  08:26:14  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the Ring I was thinking about, And DMs enjoy!

The Last Wish
Joy and death follow this ring like crows on carron.
A very dreadful curse upon the wisher. While the ring is harmless and nonlethal, it has the ability to allow four wishes per day. This description alone make many hungery for the power they might have. Created to be an eternal ring of wishes, a rather angery tanar'ri was not at all happy to be contained within. When the finishing touches were made the tanar'ri decided to add another bonus to the ring. As it bears no ill to the user, the ring can be tossed aside at will if one want's to and is in all aspects unmaligned. It is upon uttering the first wish that causes the curse to manifest and gives the ring it's dreadful name. Usually everything is as it should be, and the user will make his wish. The drawback is, however, the Tanar'ri made a the use of the first wish of each person become a beacon for the raw entity of Death. Usually and hour or so goes by until Death finds the user of the wish. Upon that time a freak accident usually occurs and the user is atonishingly one of the handful the accident claims. The ring however, is always oddly absent from the corpse's finger when the the body is moved... The ring and tanar'ri are still angery and hungery...

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2003 :  14:08:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...very interesting Cardinal. A nice find, especially for a party of loyal knights who have just vanquished a Tanar'ri horde on the Plain of Infinite Portals.

Two questions I have...

1) When you were talking about Death, I assume you were talking about the abstract metaphysical interpretation of Death, and not the Darklord of Necropolis in the Domain of Dread?.

and

2) What type of tanar'ri inhabits this ring?. A succubus perhaps?.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  06:32:40  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah sorry for taking so long to answer your questions Sage. Alaundo had me doing some uhhhh.... special chores because ummm, I'm such a valued scribe... yes that's it...
Anyways in answer to your first question, yes. It is the abstract metaphysical interpretation of Death, such like the Monks of the Order of the Long death follow.... (Hmmm the monks of the Old Order are just as mysterious... perhaps more... but I'll not be sidetracked right now...)

Anyways as for the Demon bound into the ring, for those unfortunate to have the curiousity to find out, I'm afraid a bubble will be burst. If an appealing succubus you search for, you will tragically be faced with a Nalfeshnee... a rather irritated Nalfeshnee who has been 'out of the loop' in the abyss for centuries....beware.

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A young female mage comes into the store, bearing a small velvet bag under one arm. She sedately walks up to the counter, gently places the bag down upon it, and leaves the store. As she leaves, a whisper floats back:"More to follow..."
Feldragar's Draught
Feldragar Mazren was the mage member of the Company of Misty Blades, an adventuring company operating out of Nesme. Feldragar quickly became infuriated with the other members' requests to 'strengthen their sword-arms' or to 'make thieving fingers more nimble'. He developed these draughts so that he would no longer have to listen to the inecessant requests.
Feldragar's draught comes in a green bottle. The liquid inside is slightly slimy, but can be drunk quite easily. If a draught is drunk, the imbiber gains +4 Constitution for 10 minutes. If the draught is applied to a user's shoulders and upper arms, then the user gains +4 Strength for 10 minutes. If the draught is worked into the skin of a user's hands, the user gains +4 Dexterity for 10 minutes. Each bottle contains exactly enough of the draught for one application. Variants of the draught are rumored to exist that increase Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Brew Potion, bull's strength, cat's grace, bear's endurance; Price 1,500 gp; Cost 750 gp+60 xp.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000