Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Custom Avatar Portraits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  16:03:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Brim, I'll try and organise that for you. I'm experiencing some significant problems with my web access at the moment [I'm lucky I was able to make this post] so my duties here at Candlekeep have had to take something of a back seat to that. Rest assured I'll get to it just as soon as I'm able.

Did your gremlins follow you home?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  22:32:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Brim, I'll try and organise that for you. I'm experiencing some significant problems with my web access at the moment [I'm lucky I was able to make this post] so my duties here at Candlekeep have had to take something of a back seat to that. Rest assured I'll get to it just as soon as I'm able.

Did your gremlins follow you home?

Funny you should say that....I have never seen the sage and the gremlins in the same place at the same time.....

Hmmmm, makes you think.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  15:48:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just happy and thankful to Al for my new avatar! =)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  19:49:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You go your new one?

Wish I had MINE.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2011 19:49:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2011 :  21:53:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis's avatar makes me think of the X-Man Gambit.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  00:58:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You go your new one?

Wish I had MINE.

I've previously contacted Big Al about that Markus. I don't currently have access to the upload system, so Alaundo's largely been responsible for custom avatar uploads. My guess is, he's either forgot, or it's just been buried beneath everything else he's doing for the site.

I'll ping him again.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  00:59:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First thought that came to my mind, was Doctor Strange.

Not that there's anything wrong Gambit, mind you.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  07:39:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

First thought that came to my mind, was Doctor Strange.

You're right, Sage. It's Doctor Strange.

Go to Top of Page

DBG
Acolyte

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  08:57:55  Show Profile Send DBG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well Met fellow Scribes

For those who wish to show their own individual portrait ("avatar")

The image must be in the same fantasy portrait style as the current avatars available and as a 64x64 JPEG. You may also state whether you wish your avatar to be exclusive to you or if you would like to share it and make it available for selection.

You must send your avatar to either myself or the Candlekeep Webmaster using the email address to which your member name is registered and also state the member name to which the avatar belongs.

Just a thank you for the promt avatar change.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2011 :  18:03:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should try the 'formal route' DBG used.

quote:

quote:

You go your new one?

Wish I had MINE.

I've previously contacted Big Al about that Markus. I don't currently have access to the upload system, so Alaundo's largely been responsible for custom avatar uploads. My guess is, he's either forgot, or it's just been buried beneath everything else he's doing for the site.

I'll ping him again.
I wouldn't even care - its based on my current one - but it was a LOT of work changing the map in the background (something that always nagged at me).

Come to think of it, it may just be at a quick-glance they look the same, and Alaundo might think it was already done.

You know what... forget it... I'm actually not happy with the new one either - I don't like how little I look.

I need to offset the map in the background - perhaps just pull it over and down somehow.... must think on this...

Then again, maybe I'll just do an entire new one, based on the map I made for the cover of the canceled region-specific CKC10.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2011 18:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  12:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't even care - its based on my current one - but it was a LOT of work changing the map in the background (something that always nagged at me).

Come to think of it, it may just be at a quick-glance they look the same, and Alaundo might think it was already done.

You know what... forget it... I'm actually not happy with the new one either - I don't like how little I look.

I need to offset the map in the background - perhaps just pull it over and down somehow.... must think on this...

Then again, maybe I'll just do an entire new one, based on the map I made for the cover of the canceled region-specific CKC10.

Well met

And a beautiful cover it is too, Markustay

One day...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  22:30:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Alaundo sighting!

If you have the time and the inclination, I decided to move away from the map-maker and go with something a little more.... ME... this time.

My new Avatar (if you could).

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  07:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the superquick change to my Avatar! :)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  08:03:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting avatar, Lily. Is that a priest, wizard, or scribe?

Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  12:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'Know, I've yet to decide! She's been my avatar for a while now though so perhaps she deserves a proper bio and stats?

Originally, she was meant to represent the girl in the Green Wood from a song called Sound of a Drum, based on The Unquiet Grave.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  23:22:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, I guess you should.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  01:15:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She looks like some kind of Egyptian druid queen to me, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  04:10:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hope she's not an elf.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  04:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sage, Alaundo, et al:

Just thought you might be interested to the answer regarding a question asked seven years past. GIF (graphic interface format) was created by CompuServe and only supports a limited number of colors in an image. Those colors are defined in the file format, but because it only supports a small number of colors (256 per image, in total) it was not well liked for photographs. The Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) created a format where a picture is compressed with "lossy" compression. To make the picture smaller, colors that are very close (in visual terms) are made the same to compress the file. When saving a file, one is usually prompted for "higher quality" or "more compression" which determines how strongly the compression algorhythm is applied. The newest, best format is the "lossless" Portable Network Graphic (PNG) which compresses an image while retaining all of the original color information. While the resulting file isn't as small as JPEG, it is still much smaller than the original bitmapped image. GIF files can be animated, however, whereas PNG cannot. But, PNG images support transparency, so one needn't fill in all areas of an image to avoid background-color conflict. PNG is now the default format of "Windows Paint" (and has been since Windows Vista came out in 2006) versus the older, and completely uncompressed bitmap (BMP) file.

Even the Lord of All Spells can utter forth some trivial jargon when so inclined. Apologies if the posting is somewhat off topic.

Regards,

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  05:08:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JPEG has been far more aggressively (and professionally) developed; there's a growing family of JPG formats and standards, and they're all designed with maximum compatibility in mind, they are the default image format for most modern display firmware, OS software, browsers, and apps (though GIF, PNG, BMP and most bitmap formats are also widely supported). JPGs can support lossless compression (and offer the best compression of any common image format on all scales), but they do not natively support animation, layers, or transparency effects. GIF or PNG (or proprietary) compression formats are sometimes used simply because commercial use of JPG encoders requires a nominal per-copy licensing fee, though there are copylefted opensource options.

Animated GIFs can place heavy demand on system resources (and even bandwidth) when large numbers are loaded on a browser page, unless they are scripted with great care.

Image formats can be converted by opening them with any editor app and using the "Save as..." option. ACDSee PicaView is an excellent freeware tool which offers simple and advanced conversion options.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Apr 2011 05:34:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  05:40:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We appreciate the info, Azuth.

As it is, we're largely aware of how the various graphic formats work. Hopefully, with the new functions being incorporated into the forum architecture of Candlekeep 2, we'll allow for greater flexibility and graphic file usage.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2011 :  22:15:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I STILL can't get mine changed. Weird.

I guess Alaundo doesn't like the pic of Wulfgar I chose this time.

I thought folks here would appreciate 'the joke' (that the scribes of Candlekeep have locked me away in a cage).

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2011 22:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  00:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought folks here would appreciate 'the joke' (that the scribes of Candlekeep have locked me away in a cage).

Maybe they are concerned what you might do with a warhammer of recall , Mark.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  02:09:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Either that, or it's simply still sitting on his "To-Do" list.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  04:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Either that, or it's simply still sitting on his "To-Do" list.

Which is where, I suspect, may also be found my own request. Not that I'm in a hurry - it's the weekend, after all.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  17:44:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem is, I have near epic-level ADD, and by the time Alaundo (or Sage) gets around to something, I have forgotten about it, moved on, or could care less.

I'm already bored with Wulfgar, and I haven't even used him yet.

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  18:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...I have forgotten about it, moved on, or could care less.

A link of interest, Mark.

Maybe it can influence what you choose as your next portrait?

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  21:03:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what that had to do with anything, but it was still funny as hell.

Now excuse me while I take a tinkle on the telly (which in America means I'm about to pee on my TV).

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  00:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have no idea what that had to do with anything, but it was still funny as hell.

Now excuse me while I take a tinkle on the telly (which in America means I'm about to pee on my TV).

Look at your post previous to when I posted the link, and all shall be illuminated.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Markustay, I have not received your request for this (if it was not via email, I likely missed the post if it was herein). If you're needing an avatar change then please email the graphic over to me.

For the record, that Wulfgar avatar is great!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic