Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Vs. Greyhawk
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  15:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just recently reading up on some Greyhawk information, and I came across a map of the City of Greyhawk. I know that Greyhawk was considered the base AD&D campaign setting for a long time, and I wondered how much of that world dribbled into the other worlds.

I was wondering if you guys who have played in both the Realms and Greyhawk could tell me if there are any similarities you have found between the two worlds.

Like I was saying when I saw the City of Greyhawk and read its description it came over as being an early predeccessor to Waterdeep in many ways.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  18:00:06  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes there is alot of 'leak' so too speak. Dark elves were first envisioned in GreyHawk. You also have all the spells in the PH with any sort of name Bigby, Mordenkainen, Otiluke, Melf are all Greyhawk characters. St. Cuthbert is greyhawk. But generally Greyhawk is just liek the default campaign. But it is so much more. I have the old 1st ed. set, and it is not as diverse as the forgotten realms, but it has a lot of flavour.

Generally Greyhawk is on a lower magic level than Forgotten Realms. You can still get high level spells but there are much FEWER magic wielding people.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to disagree with Mournblade on the power level aspect, at least in the campaign that I played in.
Magic users were very common, especially in the more densely populated areas, like Greyhawk city, the Pomarj and the Duchy Of Ulek. The only place that magic users were scarce (because they were outlawed) was in the Archclericy of Veluna, a theocratic province that believed the only true magic came from the gods of Oerth. Arcane magic was looked upon as heretical there. I can remember a few high level mages within the city of Greyhawk that I had dealings with.
Again, this could have just been my GM's own interpretation of the world.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  09:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, when you were talking about that, I had the idea of a new cult in the Realms with that attitude towards arcane magic. Servants of some minor god (or gods), who sabatoge wizards and sorcerers whenever they can. Not a big thing, just a little fringe group that happens to be a bit of an irritation to people like Kelban.

Then again, they could also be more terrorist-like, using things like smokepowder . . . . But that would probably be too much like art imitating life.

Oh well, it was a passing thought.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  19:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I had heard that magic comes from a different source in Greyhawk. It is like something to do with the planes, more than the weave as in the Realms.

I am just starting to read The Tomb of Horrors novel. Which seems pretty good at the moment. Has anyone read any of the relaunched novels?

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  22:09:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the novel, but I have lost at least 3 characters in the Tomb of Horrors. I have played it with various different DM's. It is an awesome Gygax-youbetterknowwhatyouaredoing-deathtrap.

I love the module! One of the BEST!!!

I still like White Plume Mountain more!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000