Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You oughtta be in pictures...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  22:45:51  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For awhile now, I've been trying to gather visual representations for people, places, and things in the Forgotten Realms to help my DM narrative have more... reality to it. Some of these I sketch by hand, others I find photographs for.

I don't know why I thought of this latest find, its not an NPC that I plan on my players encountering soon... or, ever really.

The Manshoon...

Christopher Walken

Thoughts?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:48:07  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once kept a list of actors and actresses to represent Forgotten Realms NPCs. I think I had Sam Neill for Manshoon... Lemme see... I had Christopher Walken for Szass Tam (after all, the man has experience playing the undead), Al Pacino as Elminster, and Robert de Niro as Khelben. I had Uma Thurman down for one of the Seven Sisters, I think. I really should dig up that file somewhere...
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:50:13  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know... there's the difficulty of getting the players to divorce their preconceptions of a well-known actor's personality from the character you're trying to represent.

Unless, of course, you want them imagining the archmage of Zhentil Keep requesting more cowbell
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  03:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam - Gary Oldman
Elminster - Sean Connery
Khelben - Alan Rickman

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  05:52:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis Entreri - Antonio Bendaris
Lucy Lui - any crazy @ss Baenre or other Drow chick

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jan 2007 05:52:19
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  08:18:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
stange! I never even thought about representing NPCs with actors and to be honest - it strikes me as really odd!

Just my thoughts, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  09:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not strictly forgotten realms (sorry) but word is in the dragonlance movie Kiefer Sutherland is playing Raistlin.

So long as he uses the samr voice as in Phonebooth it'll be great
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  22:19:17  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erg, I actually tend not to use actors. Mostly I troll for fantasy art, barring that, comic books or magazine ads. Most frequently, I just illustrate it myself. But I saw Christopher Walken the other day and thought "OMG! MANSHOON!"

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  09:15:25  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just look for pictures on the internet of people who look like the character I have in mind. (I try to find pic's of only their heads). I don't use actor's 'cause I think people will see Antonio Banderas and not Artemis Entreri, etc.

But I have to confess, when I saw Elminster in 3'rd edition I was thinking immeadiatly on Sean Connery :-)
Go to Top of Page

marchingpig
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Visit marchingpig's Homepage Send marchingpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon: "Semmemon, I really need to hear that cowbell!"

Nah.. "Bruce Dickinson" won´t work as Manshoon... :D

www.myspace.com/themaladroniainstitute
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  16:15:23  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

I don't know... there's the difficulty of getting the players to divorce their preconceptions of a well-known actor's personality from the character you're trying to represent.
Another problem is that most pictures you find will be of the actor or actress in modern clothing rather than proper clothing for the Realms.

I'd love to be able to draw pictures myself, but I'm just not a good artist. I've had some success looking at fantasy art, but that also tends to be have limits. It's easy to find pictures of "adventurer" types, but it's generally harder to find pictures to represent a tanner, a merchant or a street urchin.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000