Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Some 2007 and 2008 products not mentioned before.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  02:50:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dungeon Tiles 5

Fortress of the Yuan-ti

Villain's Handbook

Someone can fix the links. :)

Mod Edit: Someone did.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 May 2007 15:12:21

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  03:01:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Fortress of the Yuan-Ti. Sounds like an adventure.

And the Villain's Handbook. A sourcebook for running evil/villainous characters in a campaign perhaps?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  03:04:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, with nothing else to go on except the title, the Villain's Handbook definately sounds like something that could be potentially interesting . . . I hope we get a few "leaks" about this one soon to see what this book might have in it . . . besides information on villains, that is.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  04:32:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, with nothing else to go on except the title, the Villain's Handbook definately sounds like something that could be potentially interesting . . . I hope we get a few "leaks" about this one soon to see what this book might have in it . . . besides information on villains, that is.

Well, as they said on EN World, there was a villain's handbook in 2e and it had some nice stuff in it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  04:36:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remember that, and if they try to go for that sort of product, than I would be very happy . . . guess we'll have to wait and see what the plans are for this, especially since it hasn't been officially "acknowledged" yet. Still, it could be a great idea if done right.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  04:55:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Yeah, I remember that, and if they try to go for that sort of product, than I would be very happy . . . guess we'll have to wait and see what the plans are for this, especially since it hasn't been officially "acknowledged" yet. Still, it could be a great idea if done right.

I agree. I want the module also. Shouldn't be that hard to port into FR since we got some nice serpent lore, etc.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  05:35:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to the Yuan-Ti module as well. As one of my more favorite monstrous creatures in D&D... I'm hoping there's something inside that can supplement Serpent Kingdoms.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jan 2007 05:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  19:10:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one is a odd sounding one.

Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress: A Hip Girl's Guide to the D&D Game (Paperback) by Shelly Mazzanoble, which is due out Sept 2007 according to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Part-time-Sorceress-Girls-Guide/dp/0786947268/

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jan 2007 19:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  22:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ditto. Products that try too hard to be "hip" usually just come off as stupid.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  23:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But we still buy them.
Admit it.
Even if you are determined not to buy them, you'll wait eagerly for a review from someone who has.
We're all optimists at heart.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  23:32:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress: A Hip Girl's Guide to the D&D Game (Paperback) by Shelly Mazzanoble, which is due out Sept 2007 according to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Part-time-Sorceress-Girls-Guide/dp/0786947268/

It sounds like an intriguing book.

I'm curious enough about it... so I'll likely give it a look once it's released.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  23:45:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, I don't think I'll be buying that one. But it depends on what is actually in it but since it comes out late this year, there's not much info to see what it's like. So I'll decide when I know more.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  00:23:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

I'll ultimately leave my decision on whether to buy this after I've looked over it... but I must admit, I'm intrigued by the title.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  00:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a female-targeted variation on D&D for Dummies. The fact it is being published would seem to indicate WotC is keen to increase its fan base, which in turn indicates a decent commitment to the game.

Hopefully.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  01:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not too sure about this.

I'm assuming this Shelly Mazzanoble is the same as the playwright Shelly Mazzanoble?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 21 Jan 2007 01:37:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  01:41:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

I'm not too sure about this.

I'm assuming this Shelly Mazzanoble is the same as the playwright Shelly Mazzanoble?

Not sure..... never heard of her but a poster on ENworld said, "Shelly's been an associate brand manager for WotC working on Neopets and Duel Masters lines and the like." Which seems to be true because her name is listed in the neopets book I found online if you do a search for her name and neopets in Google.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jan 2007 01:45:48
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  10:11:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Grehnar
But we still buy them.
Admit it.
Even if you are determined not to buy them, you'll wait eagerly for a review from someone who has.
We're all optimists at heart.

Nope. Wont buy it and am absolutely a pessimist at heart

This sounds strange though I am slightly curious as to what sort of product this is.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  22:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin
It sounds like a female-targeted variation on D&D for Dummies.

That in itself kind of bothers me--are females so different, in the realm of gameplaying, that we need our own separate book to tell us how to do it?

And I am also only partly an optimist--I am also a pessimist.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  01:18:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to flush out some more 2007 products.

D&D Rules Compendium (Hardcover) by Chris Sims (Compiler) due out in October.

Dragons of Eberron by Keith Baker also due out in October.

Both are 160 pages and as usual, there's a thread on ENworld. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Jan 2007 01:19:35
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  01:57:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's the same Shelly. WotC staffer. Google her and you'll also be able to read her amusing speed dating story for a Seattle paper, sex at the laundromat, et al.
Ed's eagerly awaiting the read to see how much humor she sneaks into it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  02:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you and Ed are so eager about that book, I'll try to be a bit more optimistic about it.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  17:38:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, it's the same Shelly. WotC staffer. Google her and you'll also be able to read her amusing speed dating story for a Seattle paper, sex at the laundromat, et al.
Ed's eagerly awaiting the read to see how much humor she sneaks into it.
love,
THO

With that title there'd better be a lot of it...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  03:46:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Rinonalyrna, I don't think Ed is endorsing it for readers who are also gamers. I, too, think it's likely to be a lightweight "girlfriends of gamers plus hip chicks" version of D&D For Dummies. It could be VERY useful for them, but for us . . . not so much.
Ed will, of course, try to worm more information out of the lovely ladies of the Publishing group, in his oh-so-slick-n-subtle manner.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  22:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for the clarification. Still, it may be worth checking out if only to see how it approaches the subject matter.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  20:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Confessions' and 'Hip' sound aggressive-passive. Shame this is published by Wizards of the Coast and is just (?) about D&D -- but then it's a shame only a quarter as many women as men play RPGs and Wizards doesn't have the guts to mass-advertise the game, so I'm glad to hear about this and hope Shelly's made a fun job of it.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  21:38:35  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might note that there was a 3E Villains Handbook published under the Kingdoms of Kalamar label. The first three chapters of it are really pretty good.

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=34997

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  16:38:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Ed again about the Mazzanoble "Confessions" book, as I know he received and read an ARC.
He tells me this is a slender, humorously-written tome written for the COMPLETE and UTTER beginner to D&D (and roleplaying games in general). Said "beginner" is presumed to be, I gather (but perhaps incorrectly), what some would call a "girly girl" or young professional woman (lots of mentions of pedicures, fashion designers' names for handbags, cosmetics).
Ed said it was the best introduction to the extreme basics (these are "dice," these little model figurines are called "minis") he's ever read, and ends by nicely capturing the excitement and comradeship of playing a PC as a member of a party of adventurers.
With all that said, it's NOT for gamers. At all. It's for outsiders, to give them (with lots of jokes and quizzes and fashion comments along the way) the right idea of what D&D is really about. Most of us who already play D&D would consider it a waste of money if we bought it for ourselves.
Ed told me he wishes this book had been written and published way back when, at the height of the first "fad" popularity of D&D with Gygax at the helm, to attract lots of females into the gaming community. It would have had a huge impact then (but would have been written slightly differently, of course).
So there you are.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Mar 2007 16:41:09
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  22:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an interesting idea, could be popular. And I agree with Ed's assessment that it's something that would have done no harm at all 30 years ago.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Sounds like an interesting idea, could be popular. And I agree with Ed's assessment that it's something that would have done no harm at all 30 years ago.

Agreed. Thanks for the information Hooded One. Being a "girly girl" myself I'd be interested to see how, exactly, the book handles the subject matter.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  08:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Agreed. Thanks for the information Hooded One. Being a "girly girl" myself I'd be interested to see how, exactly, the book handles the subject matter.

Well met

Well I ne'er had ye down as a "girly girl", my dear Rinonalyrna Oof!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  00:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well met

Well I ne'er had ye down as a "girly girl", my dear Rinonalyrna Oof!

Nail polish? Handbags? Shoes? Cosmetics? I like all of that, and yet here I am.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000