Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I wonder if they come with black boot polish...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
and white hair dye...

here

and

here

Mod Edit: Shortened the links.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2007 11:03:10

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  08:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also get a live panther...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  12:28:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

and white hair dye...

here

Could have used a pic of Drizzt, really.

Besides, is it just me that has a little difficulties in finding big differences in the two swords? To me they almost seem alike. I always pictured the two swords to differ in various points (hilt, runes, curving of blade ect.).

Just a thought.........

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Jan 2007 12:33:02
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  15:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely they're two copies of the same sword, just the runes spell out the names for each.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  16:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather have Elminster's pipe...figure out the rest for yerselves

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  17:18:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had money to spend on swords, I think I'd go for something other than a sword with a name from popular series slapped on it. This is just an attempt to cash in on the character's popularity.

It's been a while since I read any of those novels, but I'm thinking these particular blades don't match the descriptions we've been given. And I'm certainly no sword expert, but those swords fail to resemble what I think of as a scimitar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  19:47:07  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's been a while since I read any of those novels, but I'm thinking these particular blades don't match the descriptions we've been given. And I'm certainly no sword expert, but those swords fail to resemble what I think of as a scimitar.

Hello-

I completely agree on this point. (no pun intended)

I had always envisioned a scimitar as being more curved - though I seem to recall finding out that they were not as curved as I once thought.

Also - I always pictured Icingdeath as having a white-ish hue to the blade - but perhaps that was my own mind adding in unmentioned details. :)

On a related thought:
I dont wee why it would be hard to create a whole line of "collectibe" Figures of Wondrous Power. Not only does that seem fairly easy - bu they could be a neat visual for players:

"I set this down (*placing figurine on gaming table*) and say the command word, Plugh!"

Could be a neat thing - include a stat car for the figure item - as well as the actual creature - possibly similar to the D&D Minis stat cards even.

And with recent news of a third party printing a Deck of Many Things - not necessarilly out of the question!

Anyway - just a thought!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  19:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the sword despite Wooly's well stated points (I agree with him). On the other hand it's always fun to have a piece of a movie or novel in the form of memorabilia (misspelled most likely). I laughed when I saw that it was on Amazon.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  20:25:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I like the sword despite Wooly's well stated points (I agree with him). On the other hand it's always fun to have a piece of a movie or novel in the form of memorabilia (misspelled most likely). I laughed when I saw that it was on Amazon.

See, I don't see it as memorabilia. To me, memorabilia is things like movie props (or replicas of props) or promotional material like theater posters. And -- most importantly -- memorabilia should be directly identifiable by someone familiar with the source as being connected to that source. These are just slightly curved swords with a couple of names slapped on them. If the names weren't on them, I can't see them bringing anything other than "Ooh, pretty sword!" to mind.

If these were just generic swords, I'd have no issue with them. My issue is with them being tied to a specific novel line when, other than the marketing, nothing supports that connection.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  22:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see where you are coming from Wooly. I should say though that despite the length of time that has passed from when I last read a Drizzt book I was able to recognize the sword as one of the swords depicted in the recent deluge of Drizzt comics and novel covers. I don't even read the comics but from time to time a Realms fan sees things and remembers them. :) I mark this sword off as the latest marketing representation of one of Drizzt's swords. Worry not though. We shall forge the true Icingdeath and Twinkle! To my garage! Get Salvatore on a plane! I'll need mithral ore and some forge tools as well. :) hahahaha

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  23:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree that these swords don't really look distinctive or even much like scimitars. I thing the whole thing is rather...goofy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  23:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

And with recent news of a third party printing a Deck of Many Things - not necessarilly out of the question!

Dhomal

Really? Now *that* sounds intriguing.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  11:30:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Dhomal

Look at this then: Deck of many Things Could this be it??!

I actually created one myself with a self-build deck published in one of the many Dragon magazines IIRC. But that was some time ago...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Jan 2007 11:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  17:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Dhomal

Look at this then: Deck of many Things Could this be it??!

I actually created one myself with a self-build deck published in one of the many Dragon magazines IIRC. But that was some time ago...

Well met

Marvelous I'd be interested to hear any reviews of this product, should anyone lay their hands on deck.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  18:14:23  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember these being advertised on the RA Salvatore EZboard a few years ago. IIRC, the cutler was working on sketches of Twinkle and Icingdeath done by Todd Lockwood (From the 3ed FRCS - I think).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000