Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  18:35:20  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks a ton,

You can't teach your kind of DMing unfortunately but I will emulate as best as I can the knowledge you give.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  21:23:46  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
THO, I am proud to announce that our first ever Realmslore Poll has yielded conclusive results and garnered a record level of participation from the Sages here. Consistent with the by-laws established by the participating Scribes, I will report all of our findings, in order of popularity with a brief description of each topic.

1st Place 41 votes
Regional Magic
Of late, much has been said of stylistic differences in magic paralleling various regions, but little of much practical use. What spells are common to what regions? How do wizards of various regions differ in practice? Clearly such a distinction has been attempted via PrC's (Nar Demonbinder, Rauthmar Battlemage, Red Wizard, etc...) and with Feats (see Races of Faerun). Is there a simpler way that this could be handled?

2nd Place 31 votes
Faiths of Faerun
An exploration of the temporal practices engaged in by the faithful. Proposal includes a formula for a weekly column. Emphasis upon church hierarchy, geographic location of influential churches, existing heresies.

3rd Place 17 votes
The Mines of Tethymar
The Mines of Tethymar are an oft mentioned, but little described portion of the Forgotten Realms that appears in a region that gets the lion's share of print. How were the Dwarves of Tethymar distinct from other Shield Dwarves, and what are they doing today to retain their cultural distinctiveness? What materials did the mines produce, and how much yet remains? How might re-opening the Mines affect the regional economy? What manner of guardians or denizens prevent the re-opening/reclaimation of the mines?

4th Place 16 votes
Master's and Apprentices
Moreso than any other class, the Wizard presupposes the influence of a Master either in a school setting or the more traditional Master/Apprentice arrangement. DM's, thus are left with the work of creating this ambiguous teacher. Can we have a weekly article giving info on a wizard from a different region or city that is inclined to train wizards, what their interests are, what their prefered spells are, and how notable they are (i.e. if my PC says, "I was taught by so-and-so" does that mean anything to anyone but me?).

5th Place Tie - 13 votes each
The Fey of the High Forest/Dessarin Vale
I would love to see an article on Fey involvement in the Realms, specifically, the High Forest/Dessarin Vale areas. Fey involvement in any area of the Realms would be great. Information such as their types and numbers, hierarchy, relations with Druids, Bards and elves. Whether they have formed alliances with any of these groups etc... Some Realms-specific info would be great!

Historical Survey of the Imaskari Empire
I would like to know more about the Imaskari Empire itself before it fell. I would also like to know more about the wizards who ruled it and their lasting impact on magic on Toril.

7th Place - 4 votes
Ethnography of the Star Elves
How about detailed information on the Star Elves. We had the introduction of this folk in severeal products now (mainly UE). But I would like to get to know them better, e.g. their history, racial tie-in with the rest of the elven sub-races, information on their home plane, the future outlook, costums, traditions, political structure and possible intrigues, the war with the nilshai, unique magics and so forth.

We thank you, THO for encouraging this concept. While you have allready commented that most of these topics are too broad for web-articles I think that this at least communicates the things that people are interested in. I think that there are some trends in this poll that are interesting. Most important, I think, is the level of participation that this project engendered. The next most recent poll hosted at Candlekeep recieved somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 votes. The top two finishers in this poll equalled that amount by themselves. While WotC can't base their production on the opinions of 100-200 people, it occurs to me that this has been an important experiment. I'd like to thank all that participated. If its not too much to ask, I'd like to see what Ed thinks of our experiment and our topics (your feedback is more than welcome as well, THO).

-Walker

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 11 Feb 2007 21:35:23
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
VERY nice, WalkerNinja, and very well put. I have sent your post off to Ed for his response. I can see where some of the topics (PrCs or a different rules approach to expressing regional magic use differences, for instance) might run into territory where Ed is NDA'd, or will be reluctant to forge ahead when he KNOWS he'll be getting in the way of future products, but I'll leave those concerns for Ed to put in his words.
A new Realmslore reply should be coming along from the Creator himself very shortly (he is BLINDINGLY busy right now), but he did want me to report that he will be attending GenCon Indy 07. He ran into the registration computer hassles he was expecting, but fired off an e-mail to customer service (as the website suggests), and wants to praise their prompt and superb assistance in taking care of him. In Ed's words: "If the GenCon folks were an airline, I'd fly with them in an instant. If they were a mail-order business, I'd use them. Top notch!"
So he'll see you all at GenCon, except for those of you he sees in Fort Wayne at Pentacon (November 07; Ed AND Elminster should be guests of honour there), and the few he sees somewhere warmer that he doesn't want to talk about just yet, until the organizers have had a chance to announce it first!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  01:39:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. I bring you more words of Ed, this time in response to WalkerNinja’s question: “Ed, I know that you are supremely busy these days, that you DM your Knights about once a year, and that you all live pretty far apart these days. I wonder, do you ever ponder setting down one of your projects to make room for a regularly recurring game on a weekly or monthly basis? How tempting is said pondering?”
Ed replies:

Yes, I do ponder playing more often from time to time. I do miss it. However, I’m asked to DM or play or both at every gaming convention (and many of the librarians’ conventions, too!) I’m asked to attend, so I “get my fix” that way.
Yes, it’s tempting, but as of right now I’m really enjoying getting caught up on the increasingly long line of creative projects on my desk--and most of those projects pay, which is an essential when I’m earning my living at this writing stuff. Gaming’s not a lucrative field down at the creative level, so I don’t get paid all that well--and so I must manage a respectable volume of work if I want to eat . . . and eating is still something I’m a big fan of.
So I can’t see myself playing weekly again in the near future, if ever. I love DMing, and a good DM prepares for three to four hours for every hour of playing time, and I just don’t have enough time left in my life to chisel out that much every week. To say nothing of the logistics of getting four or more players of both genders together in suitable surroundings that often. Especially if they can’t be my “original” players.
Sigh.

So saith Ed. I can hear him getting emotional at the end, there. Yes, it matters a lot, to us all, but . . . “real life” eats up gobs and gobs of time. And the way Ed is living right now, we all get a lot more fiction and game delights out of him than we would if he went back to running the world’s best Realms campaign. As much as I (sniff) miss it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  09:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui THO & Ed!

When thinking about the Crown Wars, we had a little discussion about the languages spoken back then and whether there actually was a "Common" in those times. To my understanding, the Common we speak about as the Lingua Franca of the Realms is predominantly a human tongue. By the times of the Crown Wars, when Faerûn was dominated by the elven nations (I have actually no knowledge about the state of the humans back then - if any), can we expect that "Common" was either not about (as we know it today) or whether there was an "Elven Common"? For one could expect that the Elven of the North (Aryvandaar) and the South (Ilythiir) were not necessarily very close to one another.

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  14:29:40  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, are there any sources or other info on druidic, the secret language of the druids?

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  15:02:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, it’s tempting, but as of right now I’m really enjoying getting caught up on the increasingly long line of creative projects on my desk--and most of those projects pay, which is an essential when I’m earning my living at this writing stuff. Gaming’s not a lucrative field down at the creative level, so I don’t get paid all that well--and so I must manage a respectable volume of work if I want to eat . . . and eating is still something I’m a big fan of.
So I can’t see myself playing weekly again in the near future, if ever. I love DMing, and a good DM prepares for three to four hours for every hour of playing time, and I just don’t have enough time left in my life to chisel out that much every week. To say nothing of the logistics of getting four or more players of both genders together in suitable surroundings that often. Especially if they can’t be my “original” players.

I'm sure all of us here at Candlekeep are wishing the karmic winds bring you loads of Harry Potter-like success in your future :)

Have you and your Knights tried gaming by e-mail or message board?
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  16:06:52  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, everyone. I bring you more words of Ed, this time in response to WalkerNinja’s question: “Ed, I know that you are supremely busy these days, that you DM your Knights about once a year, and that you all live pretty far apart these days. I wonder, do you ever ponder setting down one of your projects to make room for a regularly recurring game on a weekly or monthly basis? How tempting is said pondering?”
Ed replies:

Yes, I do ponder playing more often from time to time. I do miss it. However, I’m asked to DM or play or both at every gaming convention (and many of the librarians’ conventions, too!) I’m asked to attend, so I “get my fix” that way.
Sigh.

So saith Ed. I can hear him getting emotional at the end, there. Yes, it matters a lot, to us all, but . . . “real life” eats up gobs and gobs of time. And the way Ed is living right now, we all get a lot more fiction and game delights out of him than we would if he went back to running the world’s best Realms campaign. As much as I (sniff) miss it.
love to all,
THO

I guess this explains why Bob Salvatore stopped writing game supplements... o thou wicked economy!

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  20:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Faiths of Faerun
An exploration of the temporal practices engaged in by the faithful. Proposal includes a formula for a weekly column. Emphasis upon church hierarchy, geographic location of influential churches, existing heresies.

Hey, don't forget the daily chores, important/major ceremonies and holy days, typical (minor) blessings/rituals/habits of worship, oaths/curses, burial customs, individual ranks/titles, churchly vestments/holy symbols (also possible variations - especially those defined by rank) etcetera.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  21:58:10  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
I stand corrected.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  00:31:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
AlorinDawn, you're very welcome.
When we Knights started playing, it was twice a week unless life forced it to once a week. As most of us moved to university and jobs, that once a week became the norm.
And stayed that way for years, until geographic moves by players started to drop the frequency to once a month and even longer.
Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  01:12:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

So he'll see you all at GenCon, except for those of you he sees in Fort Wayne at Pentacon (November 07; Ed AND Elminster should be guests of honour there), and the few he sees somewhere warmer that he doesn't want to talk about just yet, until the organizers have had a chance to announce it first!
love to all,
THO

Cool, Fort Wayne is close enough to Columbus, Ohio. I will see Ed in FW then =) I look forward to meeting him!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  03:06:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
:Enters with slumped shoulders

Hello Ed and Lady,

I have a half-orc player with a 20 str who feels this allows him to carry an array of about 15 weapons, how would you handle such a situation.

I mean he has a battle axe
Great axe
4 spears
Chainmail
heavy wooden shield
long bow
40 arrows
Heavy Flail
Glaive
a few others I can't remember right now,
Back pack
Bed roll
artisans tools
plus rations and nick nacks

He carries this because his Str allow it but then I question his ability to draw more than one of these weapons because handles and shafts and belt ties or fastens should impede his ability to do so.

Do you have a limit on what a player can carry weapon-wise and draw with normal move action? Have you ever encountered such type players?

The gods forbid if he takes quickdraw feat.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  03:39:06  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello Ed and Lady,

I have a half-orc player with a 20 str who feels this allows him to carry an array of about 15 weapons, how would you handle such a situation.

That's it, now I like a lot that old question about how adventurers clean their a** on the roads .

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Feb 2007 03:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  04:05:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hello Ed and Lady,

I mean he has a battle axe
Great axe
4 spears
Chainmail
heavy wooden shield
long bow
40 arrows
Heavy Flail
Glaive
a few others I can't remember right now,
Back pack
Bed roll
artisans tools
plus rations and nick nacks

He carries this because his Str allow it but then I question his ability to draw more than one of these weapons because handles and shafts and belt ties or fastens should impede his ability to do so.

Do you have a limit on what a player can carry weapon-wise and draw with normal move action? Have you ever encountered such type players?

The gods forbid if he takes quickdraw feat.

I'm not Ed, but here's my take:

If he insists on having all this stuff readily accessible (and not tucked away in packs, pouches, or bags of holding), then I'd make him make ability checks to even draw a particular weapon in combat. Maybe an Intelligence check to remember which handle is where, and then a Dexterity check to actually grab it and draw it... Add in a possibility of stuff dropping. And also, impose penalties for moving thru confined areas and less than open terrain. All those handles and blades sticking out are going to catch on everything nearby, and there's no way he can slip down a narrow alley with all the protruding goodies.

If he argues, hand him a GI Joe figure and a bunch of toothpicks, straws, and popsicle sticks to simulate all the goodies. Next hand him some string or rubber bands. Make him show you, on the figure, how he's going to do it on the character. That, if nothing else does, should show him the folly of his ways.

Ooh, and if you have access to the 2E Tome of Magic, give some bad guys wands of misplaced objects. After he gets hit with that a few times, he'll change his ways. That particular magic item (which I don't think has been converted to 3E, but should be easy enough to flip) is one of the most amusingly evil items ever printed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Feb 2007 05:59:55
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
createvmind, I sent your question to Ed, but before he could reply Wooly did, and I thought Wooly's reply was so perfect that I sent IT on to Ed, too, and here's his response:

Perfect! createvmind, I can't possibly improve on Wooly's post; do as he suggests, and that should take care of it (also, remember that whenever the character gets something out and uses it, he either has to take the time to restow or resheathe it [using up action time in combat, that you have to ride herd on him about] or drop it to grab the next item he wants. Those dropped items are tripping hazards for everyone, and will probably be left behind if the action in combat moves quickly, or the character flees. Either way, keep bringing them into play, as "check" hazards and time wasters, until the OTHER players, if not the one in question, get fed up with it and tell him to mend his ways!

So saith Ed. Ah, this whole thing brings back memories (a canary in a cage, lashed to the top of Tolgar Anuvien's mountainous backpack, in Ed's Crazed Venturers lore).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  16:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
There is an unofficial book based entirely on spiked chains (I forget it's name but it's easy to find on google).

There is a rule in there for storing more than one spiked chain, I believe it's a 25% chance for them to get tangled when stored with an additional 10% for each extra chain. Untangling them is a full round action.

Perhaps you could adopt a similar rule, or introduce an armour modification similar to fast-donning straps which allow a user proficient in them to store and draw more weapons.

You could also assign a points system (1 for small, 2 for medium, 3 for large, 1 for ammunition), and say maybe you can hold 10 points of stuff. This would allow say a big weapon on the back, additional weapons on the hips or strapped to sleeves/legs/chest pockets etc., or a few large weapons, or a load of daggers concealed about the body, etc etc
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  20:53:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

In my campaign, I use something I got in the RPGA at some point (don't remember where/when, but I think this was a houserule of the Living Arcanis RPGA campaign).

Here it goes:

Each character get an item slot, as per DMG magic item section. Additionally, an adventurer can wear a backpack and a bandoleer, and other 'wrap-around' bandoleers/straps wherever they may see fit, on their body, provided the bandoleer/straps/belt does not hold items larger than a knife or dagger (i.e. small light weapon, or other small items), and even so, in reasonable amounts!

As for weapons, each character gets 5 slots:
a. a larger light weapon occupies 1/2 a slot; (short sword, hand axe, etc.)
b. a one-handed weapon occupies 1 slot; (longsword, battleaxe, etc.)
c. a two-handed weapon occupies 2 slots. (greatsword, polearm, etc.)

These guidelines assume no magical secret compartments, extra-dimensional spaces, and the like.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  21:18:07  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
You people are the BESTEST!!!!!!!

Evil gleam returns to my eye.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  21:20:03  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
This reminds me of a story that probably ought to be in the Adventuring forum, so I apologize in advance, Moderators.

Wandering down a dungeon in 1st edition, the DM asked if we had a light source. One player said that he did and proceeded to hand torches out to everyone in the party.

DM: Let me see your character sheet ::looks:: you're carrying 500 torches where? Where did you even buy that many?

Player: In my backpack. When we were in town, you said to stock up and to use the PHB for pricing!

DM [to the other players]: The Fighter is crushed to death under a mountain of torches that spontaneously exploded from his back pack. Feel free to loot his pulverized corpse. [To the Torch Player after tearing up the character sheet] Feel free to roll up a new character.

Funniest thing I ever saw!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  02:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Hi Ed and THO, are there any sources or other info on druidic, the secret language of the druids?

I believe that Tom Costa would be an appropriate person to ask, having written the book (well, Dragon article) on "Linguistics of Faerun." Not everything he wrote then has been followed by subsequent TSR and WotC products, but I don't think anyone's ever said him nay regarding Druidic and his comments on it.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:17:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
AlorinDawn, I believe Pentacon this year will be held in the Grand Wayne Center, right downtown in Fort Wayne (it's built onto the west end of a hotel, the Hilton Fort Wayne on South Calhoun Street, which has a city parking garage across the road from it to the east, parking lot and hotel being linked by a skywalk). Ed has been GoH at Pentacon several times, and enjoys the con very much; it's a small, relaxed local convention, held over a weekend. He did say the Hilton's food is distinctly underwhelming, but there are okay local restaurants if you walk a few blocks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  05:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
does Ed comes to any cons outsite of america? (ie. Australia or Europe)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  09:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

does Ed comes to any cons outsite of america? (ie. Australia or Europe)

Well met

Ed once attended GENCON UK a few years back. As to whether he will again, I know not. (IMO, the organizers didn't do nearly enough to announce Ed's presence and indeed the seminar he ran ). Nevertheless, it was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish and great to meet the Bearded One

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  14:10:57  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Greetings Ed & THO,

How do folks in the Realms cope with diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, crones disease, and other "mundane" diseases as opposed to such terrors as mummy rot and other magical diseases that adventurers seem to come in contact with all too often? Does Emmerick the farmer who has diabetes just deal with it or does, or does medical/healing lore dictate that he seek out a priest and request magical healing? And if he does seek this healing out, considering the coin spell casting goes for would the farmer or any common man who makes "non-adventurer" wages be turned away if he could not cover the charges the church or priest seeks? I guess it boils down to do common folk of the Realms just try to treat these mundane diseases with herbs and home remedies or do they seek magical means to deal with their illness?

Having some insight on these matters will help my Realms come that much more alive. Thanks in advance.

THO,

Thanks for the Pentacon info! My employer has offices in the Fort Wayne downtown area not far from the site you mention, so that works out great.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 15 Feb 2007 14:47:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  15:10:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Sian.
Yes, Ed attends conventions everywhere (Sweden, Germany, Australia, the UK, USA, Canada, etc.). He has been so busy in recent years, and flying has become so much more difficult in the wake of 9/11 (which causes Ed's much older wife many problems), that he drives everywhere when he can, so his over-the-ocean appearances have dwindled recently.
However, there's a very good chance that he will pop up in Australia this fall. I can't say more at the moment because nothing's settled yet, I'm afraid--but I will keep everyone posted, just as soon as I can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

vajumperdude
Acolyte

Iraq
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  00:19:44  Show Profile  Visit vajumperdude's Homepage Send vajumperdude a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, I have been lurking around for a while and compiling as much knowlege as I can, and his will be my first post. I have tried looking around as much as I can and my searches didnt reveal anything useful, so I thought I would pop in here and as the man himself; I am a new author, previously unpublished, and I have a book that I have been writing since I got over here in Iraq 6 months ago, and it will be ready as soon as I redeploy to the states. It is set in FR, but from what I have gathered it seems nigh impossible to put a book out in the FR campaign setting. Is this true? Would I be better off to go back and change some tings and try to publish the novel as a standalone in a world of my own creation? Basically, would it be better to already be published before working with WOTC?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  00:25:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vajumperdude

Hi Ed and THO, I have been lurking around for a while and compiling as much knowlege as I can, and his will be my first post. I have tried looking around as much as I can and my searches didnt reveal anything useful, so I thought I would pop in here and as the man himself; I am a new author, previously unpublished, and I have a book that I have been writing since I got over here in Iraq 6 months ago, and it will be ready as soon as I redeploy to the states. It is set in FR, but from what I have gathered it seems nigh impossible to put a book out in the FR campaign setting. Is this true? Would I be better off to go back and change some tings and try to publish the novel as a standalone in a world of my own creation? Basically, would it be better to already be published before working with WOTC?

WOTC doesn't take unsolicated FR novels or authors, so ya'll probably better off, if you want it published, in setting it in your own world....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  00:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Sian.
However, there's a very good chance that he will pop up in Australia this fall. I can't say more at the moment because nothing's settled yet, I'm afraid--but I will keep everyone posted, just as soon as I can.
love,
THO

Im guessing that means Eds going to try and come out for Spring Revel Down under..

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Feb 2007 00:47:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  01:44:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. This time, Ed has sent a lightning-swift response to vajumperdude, regarding his unpublished novel:

Yes, I’m afraid Kuje is entirely correct. Wizards doesn’t accept unsolicited novels for its “worlds” (the Realms, Eberron, et al). So as you can’t publish a Realms novel with any other publisher, and can’t peddle it to Wizards, your novel is doomed as long as it remains a Realms novel. Sorry.
Wizards will, however, always need “new blood” in its writing stable, so all is not lost.
In the “good old days,” I used to recommend that a new writer take some of the characters from their unpublished novel, write a short story for DRAGON, and use it to impress the heck out of the TSR editors - - and then spring the novel on them.
That won’t work anymore, either, because DRAGON now doesn’t (sigh) take unsolicited fiction.
Which leaves me recommending this: take a good long and hard look at your novel. Is it a tale that can ONLY be told in the Realms? (In other words, it’s a character-driven novel that heavily uses well-known Realms characters who personally spur the action of, and feature as, the centerpiece of the essential tale you’re trying to tell.) If AND ONLY IF this is true, set it aside for now, and write another fantasy book to aim at another publisher.
However, if the tale could be told in another setting by filing off the serial numbers, do that. If it’s a plot-driven novel, you take the Realms anchors and replace them with your own (Cormyr-style kingdom becomes your own Cormyr-style kingdom, Waterdeep becomes Waterdeep-like city, and so on), and your story can then easily be told as a non-Realms tale.
Rewrite it as such. When you get back to the States, hit a large library or three, and examine half-a-dozen books recently published by Tor, Del Rey, DAW, Baen Books, etc., and see if your story looks like it “fits” with one publisher best. Try to place it with that publisher (most of the larger publishers now require you to be represented by an agent; you’ll have to decide on that yourself), and if it is snapped up, do whatever the editor wants, with an eager smile, EVEN IF YOU THINK IT RUINS THE STORY (point out your disagreement, but do it the editor’s way). Get it published, keep copies to send editors if they ask for them, and it will be a strength if you then approach Wizards (because if nothing else, it tells them that you can finish a novel and deal professionally with editors).
Tell me the title of the book, and I’ll go out and buy it (hey, a sale's a sale). If I like what I read, I will turn around and add my voice to all the others constantly suggesting new writers to the overworked Books Department people.
Eventually, if you pester them often enough (nicely!), you may get an e-mail invite to a short story anthology, “Realms Of Your Grandmothers” or some such. Come up with a dynamite idea, follow the instructions for participating PRECISELY and EAGERLY, and you should be “in” (if you have to rewrite, do so).
THEN pitch your Realms novel to them. NOT as if you have it all written and waiting, but as a “hey, this is a story I’ve always wanted to tell in the Realms.”
The rest might just turn out to become history . . .

So saith Ed. Who’s really saying nothing new here, but trying to be helpful and specific. Good luck, vajumperdude!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000