Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lythari
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  03:41:33  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Does Lythari have been stated in 3.x ?

Under the new cosmology, what would be the place described in "Silver shadows" ?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  05:31:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe they were in Monsters of Faerūn, and I know they were in either Races of Faerūn or the Player's Guide to Faerūn (I want to say it was the former). I'm away from my books right now, so I can't check.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Dec 2006 05:32:07
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  06:25:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I believe they were in Monsters of Faerūn, and I know they were in either Races of Faerūn or the Player's Guide to Faerūn (I want to say it was the former). I'm away from my books right now, so I can't check.

Sorry, I missed them in RoF lycantrope section. However, there is no fluff about them in this book and nothing about their special kind of affliction.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31744 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  07:48:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the lythari sources include Monsters of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Elves of Evermeet, Elaine's novels and some of her compiled replies made here at Candlekeep.

The Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. 4 is also useful, as is 2e's Demihumans of the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2006 07:49:24
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  11:40:57  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever did a google-search on it??? First thing I found seemed to be pretty decent (if not really reliable - source-wise I mean, as non is mentioned)

Here is the link: http://www.drgnscl.com/lythari.html

If not sufficient, see the sources the sage mentioned!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Dec 2006 11:41:56
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  16:56:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of that lore is wrong now since WOTC, in the current books that came out after Monsters of Faerun, decided that lythari also have a hybrid form even though they didn't in 2e or in the early 3e material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31744 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2006 :  23:23:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Some of that lore is wrong now since WOTC, in the current books that came out after Monsters of Faerun, decided that lythari also have a hybrid form even though they didn't in 2e or in the early 3e material.

I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  00:38:06  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.

They probably did them as true lycantrope for simplicity purpose. It's just sad that they weren't included in one of the two Bestiary of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  00:42:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As do I. I never liked that change. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  13:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostfell novel has an interesting take on the lythari it seems ...

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  15:41:03  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do tell... I haven't read Frostfell yet, but I'm interested in Lythari lore.

I also disapprove of the hybrid lythari form, and didn't really think that the write up in Races was very adequate, though I haven't looked in monsters of faerun yet.

I made them wild elves with a limited wild shape ability

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  16:25:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Frostfell novel has an interesting take on the lythari it seems ...

I repeat Walker, do tell. :) I dunno if I'll even be able to find that novel this week, let alone read it.

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  20:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't finished the book but haven't seen a hybrid form thus far. :)
They seem to be a sort of barbarian elf tribe. Ofcourse they seem to be cut of from other Lythari and that explains the rather severe differences. Atleast I've never imagined realms elves of anykind being tattooed from head to toe. Thus far it seems like a book that can be recommended and no RSE for a change.

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  21:25:38  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In races it is very clearly stated that wild elves have a penchant for tattooing, which is echoed in the Elves of Evermeet. It also states that Lythari exist within tribes of Wild Elves transparently (the casual observer is unable to differentiate between the two). Thus the tattooing

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  22:38:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When my step son ran a Lythari sorcerer in the game I was DMing, I didn't allow him to use the hybrid form, since it was never mentioned in any of the novels, and it was expressly mentioned to not exist in the original lore. If eventually someone comes along and tries to explain all of this, its a lot easier to add the ability than to explain why they had a hybrid form all along. Personally it feels like a better fit for the race to only allow them to turn into full wolves. Its about running in the wind and knowing what it is like to have the unfettered soul of the hunter, which just makes more sense if you only have the elf/wolf thing going on.

The place that the lythari accessed with their "portals" and the place in between sounded a lot like the Crossroads and Backroads mentioned in Magic of Faerun, and the plane of Faerie. This is by no means an official fact, just what I ran with in my game because of the similarities in the descriptions.

A little more wild speculation about Faerie and how it works in this capacity can be found in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8069&SearchTerms=Faerie,Toril
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31744 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  23:51:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Haven't finished the book but haven't seen a hybrid form thus far. :)
They seem to be a sort of barbarian elf tribe. Ofcourse they seem to be cut of from other Lythari and that explains the rather severe differences. Atleast I've never imagined realms elves of anykind being tattooed from head to toe. Thus far it seems like a book that can be recommended and no RSE for a change.

Well, considering that "primeval" nature of most lythari dwellings, the barbarian-aspects attached to this elven race are to be expected.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  16:53:24  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am almost done reading Frostfell. I think they are a very good race, one that I would not hesitate to allow in a campaign. Yes, they are more powerful than humans, elves, etc., however they are a great 'role' playing opportunity.
Mark S. gives a very good description of them. Two of the characters in the novel are outcasts, and the traditions and beliefs of the Lythari are fully explored. The novel is very good because of it. Pick it up and join the book club on it here at Candlekeep!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I echo hammer of Moradins words ! Read Frostfell it really gives them some meat. Although as I understand it they are perhaps a bit more nomadic than their western cousins. And use them the old way .

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  17:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the idea that if I want to learn more about the lythari I should read Frostfell ASAP.

Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  12:41:08  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to echo the sentiments here. Read Frostfell, its a good book

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  20:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I wrong if I call them "silver shadows" ?
It's the other name of the race.
Right ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  21:00:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Am I wrong if I call them "silver shadows" ?
It's the other name of the race.
Right ?

I don't think it's a name that is widely-used, outside of wood elf communities.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:23:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver shadow? Where does this term come from? Any source?

I just ordered Frostfell. Got intrigued amongst others by the discussion on these boards here at candlekeep........ I am ery much interested what this book will tell me about the lythari.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:08:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

It was in the novel by Elaine Cunningham, Silver Shadows.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:13:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Alright! Thanks Wooly. Is that another novel heavy with lythari lore or rather not?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:35:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Alright! Thanks Wooly. Is that another novel heavy with lythari lore or rather not?

Not really... It was more about Arilyn, her moonblade, and the wood elves of Tethyr. There was a supporting character who was lythari, and some lythari lore, but not a huge amount.

But you should read the book, anyway. It's Elaine. What have you got to lose?

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  08:28:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not really... It was more about Arilyn, her moonblade, and the wood elves of Tethyr. There was a supporting character who was lythari, and some lythari lore, but not a huge amount.

But you should read the book, anyway. It's Elaine. What have you got to lose?

Well, if you put it that way - not much I believe. However, First things first, meaning, as Frostfell should be delivered daily I will begin reading that one. However, I will come to Silver Shadows eventually. Had it on my to-read-list already (amongst most other FR novels ).

Thanks for your clarifications, Wooly.

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  20:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I'm now reading this novel and lythari are often called silver shadows.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  16:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.

I've been off the radar for a while. Sorry.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has made an attempt a 4E adaptation of the Lythari. Any help would be appreciated.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  17:05:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wow, talk about thread necromancy.

-Anyway, here's a 4e write-up for the Lythari: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19846862/Rules_for_Lythari,_balance_issues

-My own criticisms and likes of it, you can see in the ensuing discussion in that thread.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  02:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Wow, talk about thread necromancy.

-Anyway, here's a 4e write-up for the Lythari: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19846862/Rules_for_Lythari,_balance_issues

-My own criticisms and likes of it, you can see in the ensuing discussion in that thread.

Thankyou milord ;)

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000