Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowbred: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  11:05:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dart,

Thank you kindly. I hope the rest of the novel works for you, too. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  19:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with the posters so far. This has been an excellent book. This is also my first intro to Paul Kemp's writing, as I have yet to read Resurrection (that series has really lost interest in me after the fourth book, I think because there are different styles of writing in each book). In fact, your methodology and style of writing has me hooked, so I think I will need to go get the Cale series and read those when I can.

I can only stress that I also really like what you have done with the villains in making them more real, with real quirks and emotions. Seeing Cale in the prologue was a great intro for someone who has not read about him before.

I don't have a problem with the first person writing. I think that is a goofy rule by WotC, but I am also only one reader. I am a big fan of Roger Zelazny's writings, and he experimented (as well as wrote a lot of first person narrative) on many, many books, doing many strange things.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  20:22:12  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

I can only stress that I also really like what you have done with the villains in making them more real, with real quirks and emotions. Seeing Cale in the prologue was a great intro for someone who has not read about him before.

I don't have a problem with the first person writing. I think that is a goofy rule by WotC, but I am also only one reader. I am a big fan of Roger Zelazny's writings, and he experimented (as well as wrote a lot of first person narrative) on many, many books, doing many strange things.

Thanks, Mkhaiwati. I appreciate that a great deal. And I'm pleased the first person works for you. And Zelazny is excellent, btw!

I am, of course, delighted that reading Shadowbred makes you want to pick up the Erevis Cale Trilogy. I am intrigued to hear your thoughts about Shadowbred because I'm quite curious about how those who have not previously read of Cale and crew will respond to the novel. Please be sure to share (nudge, nudge).

Also, as a heads-up, there are some spoilers about the Cale trilogy in Shadowbred. I tried to be vague where possible, but some were just inevitable, since they go to issues of motivation. Notwithstanding that, I think and hope that the Cale trilogy will still be a good read for you when you turn to it. You'll just know more going into it than long time Cale readers did.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 20 Nov 2006 20:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, the prologue does a great job of introducing Erevis. As far as my thoughts on him, he is a complicated fellow. Not talking to Mask, while being his Chosen, is interesting. Needing the (dead) halfling to help with his humanity is a nice touch. Just making someone who is a Chosen of an evil deity being concerned with friends and pursuing acts of good such as saving the halfling village is really great.

I don't mind spoilers. I re-read books a lot, like Lord of the Rings or Quo Vadis, so I know what is going to happen. In this case, all these people were enjoying Shadowbred so much, I just had to see it for myself. It isn't the destination that is enjoyable, but how you get there. So I am not worried what I may learn about the earlier series.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read any of the Everis Cale books and boy am I going to have to now. I though Rivalen's thoughts on contacting the Shar worshipper in Sembia was awesome. You know about the minddust. The crazy people never think they are crazy. Gotta love it. Who else is rooting for Everis Cale's side? Oh, Everis Cale is a Mask worshipper right? I hope he is.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  13:44:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I haven't read any of the Everis Cale books and boy am I going to have to now.

That's nice to hear, WM. Since you seem to be enjoying Shadowbred, I suspect you'll also enjoy the Cale Trilogy. As I mentioned to Mkai above, there are some implicit spoilers for the Cale Trilogy in Shadowbred, but nothing (I think) that would lessen your enjoyment of the trilogy overall.

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage
Oh, Everis Cale is a Mask worshipper right? I hope he is.

He is, indeed, though his relationship with his god is...complicated. You'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  21:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Everis Cale's complicated status with Mask is awesome. Nothing beats shaking up the normal. The more I read about Shar the more I dislike this secret keeping witch of a goddess. So you definitely have me rooting for Everis Cale.

On a seperate note I was surprised that Rivalen is the highest ranked cleric of Shar (I think I got that right). And more accurately stated, the highest ranked Shadovar cleric of Shar. From the RotA I kinda assumed Yder was Shar's favored among the Shadovar. Then again that was never stated and Rivalen was left very mysterious during the series. We only knew him to be a shadow weave wielding baddie with a taste for kickin' butt. This book is clearing up a lot of the mystery from RotA and adding some great lore!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  07:42:45  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am just wondering if Galaeron or any other elven co-stars or main characters are in these books.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  23:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this book. I'm savoring it currently, just past page 100. The Shades are icy cold. I love it. I'm really enjoying Elyril and her obsession with Shar. Never before have I seen Shar and her faithful portrayed so, as if their acts are justified in some sick way. The Shadowman prologue was a great surprise. Cale's incredible. Magadon always seemed like an NPC. Not in this novel. I'm very interested in his plot arc.

I'm looking forward to the culmination of this trilogy.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2007 :  01:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this book so far. Love it, love it, love it. It's just so...complex and intricate, not because of the politics involved, but because of the characters. Varra is a "Seeker of the Sun", whereas her supposed boyfriend (and I use that term loosely) is a seeker of shadows. Their relationship feels real to me, but in a sad way. They are basically "two ships passing in the night"--they don't seem to talk or share much of themselves, and therefore they aren't truly a couple yet.

The villains are great too, just as they were in the Erevis Cale series. Who would have thought that Rivalen has a coin collection? Again I wonder why I waiting so long to read these books (I finished the Erevis Cale trilogy only recently). Cale seems like a real person.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Jun 2007 01:48:45
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:48:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always, I am years behind the reading material. However, I finally got my hands on this book. I avoided it a long time because I have not read a single Cale book and did not what to spoil the fun by reading his latest adventure. However I somehow could not seem to get around it any longer and have found out that it is not neccissary to have read them to understand the events in Shadowbred. Most of Cales historic tie -ins are explained in a very nice way as the story developes.

First off: the start into the book is one of the most intriguing and tense parts of written material I have experienced so far. The trolls, the dark, the shadowman - I loved it! My thanks for these lines already, Mr. Kemp.

The praise contuniues: I also like the intriguing part of the shades and the far reaching plot Shar has in mind. I love Elyrin (or whats her name again?), well, the drug sniffing niece, where I still have not figured out if she is halucinating or outright mad or actually touched by the divine. Nicly done!

Also, how the realms shaking events of the near past are summed up and mentioned again and again adds to the flavor, IMHO.

Great work so far, Paul!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jan 2008 10:04:47
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:53:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

As always, I am years behind the reading material. However, I finally got my hands on this book. I avoided it a long time because I have not read a single Cale book and did not what to spoil the fun by reading his latest adventure. However I somehow could not seem to get around it any longer and have found out that it is not neccissary to have read them to understand the events in Shadowbred. Most of Cales historic tie -ins are explained in a very nice way as the story developes.

First off: the start into the book is one of the most intriguing and tense parts of written material I have experienced so far. The trolls, the dark, the shadowman - I loved it! My thanks for these lines already, Mr. Kemp.

The praise contuniues: I also like the intriguing part of the shades and the far reaching plot Shar has in mind. I love Elyrin (or whats her name again?), well, the drug sniffing niece, where I still have not figured out if she is halucinating or outright mad or actually touched by the divine. Nicly done!

Also, how the realms shaking events of the near past are summed up and mentioned again and again adds to the flavor, IMHO.

Great work so far, Paul!

Hey, a Shadowbred discussion. Sweet.

Anyway, thanks, Erg. I hope you enjoy the rest of the novel, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  09:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I try to be cognizant of other books/series, and to weave things together as best I can, but in truth I had a lot of help with that on Shadowbred -- from my editor (Phil Athans), Eric Boyd (who read an early draft), George Krashos (who didn't read the novel but who made a few key suggestions that I worked in), and Don Bassingthwaite (who gave me some insight on some tie-in issues from Mistress of the Night).

Since I only now got this trilogy (yeah, I'm a late bloomer to Cale) this was one of the things I've already enjoyed about it. I read—and enjoyed—Mistress of the Night and to see that The Leaves of One Night is possibly making a comeback warmed my heart. I'm only on page 50 or so as of this writing, so cannot comment on too much apart from echoing what others have already praised. Perhaps not having read RotA will be to my advantage, as it won't cloud my judgement of the Shades.

I do have a question on Ssessimyth though. Didn't the Source tear away from it in the last book? I seem to recall that Ssessimyth vowed to find and destroy those responsible (for the Source's silence) and was last seen leaving the area of Sakkors on its revenge mission.

What was your wordcount for this RSE, Paul, and how does it compare to a normal Realms novel's wordcount? I find that the typeset for this novel is a lot smaller that I am used to and its still 341 pages (RSE length). Not that I'm complaining.

Oh and how did you get the sexual stuff passed? Elyril was clearly orgasming during her dream, but I thought that kind of stuff would not pass WotC censure or writing guidelines. You know that I have praised you before for your more real and gritty writing style, so its not that I don't like it—quite the contrary—I'm just curious.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:41:58  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh and how did you get the sexual stuff passed? Elyril was clearly orgasming during her dream, but I thought that kind of stuff would not pass WotC censure or writing guidelines. You know that I have praised you before for your more real and gritty writing style, so its not that I don't like it—quite the contrary—I'm just curious.

I entered here to ask the same thing.. LoL..
Let's see if someday Paul Kemp comes here to answer our doubt.. ;) We could ask it on his forum too... Hm.. Another day I will do it and post it here.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:57:16  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyrene and Ed,

I'm glad you're both enjoying Shadowbred. Sorry to have missed the questions. The first page of the book club forum is full of "sticky" threads, so I didn't see these right away.

Anyway: As for typeface and whatnot -- Shadowbred ran a little long. If memory serves, it clocked in around 116,000 words. Rather than cut out a bunch, WotC seems to have stuffed a few more words on each page, hence the smaller typeface. Later books in the series should look more like what you're used to -- both of those came in around 95K to 105K.

As for content -- I haven't had a lot of pushback from WotC on content. I try to keep things reasonable, but I think the editors are willing to allow us to push the envelope a little here and there (as with the Elyril scenes).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000