Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Islands, islands everywhere
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  07:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been looking at A Scholar's View of Abeir-Toril (FRCS 3e page 231) again. A very large island sits in the Great Sea between Zakhara and the Unknown continent south of Maztica. At first I wrote it off as another Unknown, but a similarly sized island to the south of it is specifically marked Unknown and yet this island is not. It seems like it could potentially be part of Zakhara, but I never followed that setting. Anyone know what the island is called or what's on it?

I'm not sure what it is with islands. Perhaps because I technically live on one that I'm fascinated with them.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  07:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going off my FR CDROM atlas the island chain that leads from Zakhara to "Southern Maztica" has never been detailed none of the islands are even named in the Atlas even the ones that arent far off Zkharas west coast

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  07:41:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think its part of Zakhara, I had a quick look at the books and the area covered by the land of fate products don't go that far west. Mind you my collection of Zakhara products is not complete in spite of me being a fan of the setting, so there could be something I missed.

As to why the island is not named "unknown", the reason could be that it is seen geographically as part of the large landmass directly to the west of it, which does bare the tag "unknown".
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  14:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is an unknown land...in the continental map of Zakhara it is just off the western edge of the map...and has no description, hints or rumors taht I know of

and the "unknown" descriptors on the undeveloped continents is more for Faerunians than the actual planet at large (IMO)

In the core Zakhara box set and some of the lesser modules/box sets (the modules of Zakhara cam in small boxes) it is repeated that in the great marketplaces in Zakhara there are items for sale from Faerun, Kara0Tur and Maztica...liek the Sinbad tales the sailors of Zakhara have practically sailed around the world (Toril) in search of adventure and profit

this means 2 things:

1) That "unknown" land isn't really unknown..as it is just off the western coast of Zakhara

2) They probably knew of Maztica long before mainstream Faerun did

and if you really want to get confused about the "unknown" lands..think about spelljamming/space travel...in major metropolises that welcome spelljamming (like Waterdeep, Huzuz, Wa, etc.) there should be global maps describing every continent, land and kingdom in all of Aber-Toril so in an "in-game" standpoint, unless the land is cloaked (a' la the Irda in Dragonlance) there locically shouldn't be any more "unknown lands" if spelljamming is still canon (and it is)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  15:19:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

I've been looking at A Scholar's View of Abeir-Toril (FRCS 3e page 231) again. A very large island sits in the Great Sea between Zakhara and the Unknown continent south of Maztica. At first I wrote it off as another Unknown, but a similarly sized island to the south of it is specifically marked Unknown and yet this island is not. It seems like it could potentially be part of Zakhara, but I never followed that setting. Anyone know what the island is called or what's on it?
It's largely another "unknown land" and yet another land we know next to nothing about. Whether it has or hasn't any connections with any neighbouring larger landmasses is also largely unknown.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000