Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What classes are now officially present in the FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  00:36:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well then, here's my two cents (and frankly, I'm overrating my opinion), but from what I've seen, I like the Knight, Scout, Warlock, and Favored Soul. Maybe.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  02:31:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

But none of the new classes are in, correct? Except maybe the warlock.

Well the favoured Souls now in, its appeared in an FR product

Which FR product was that?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  02:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dragons of Faerun theres a favoured Soul in the Church of Tiamat adventure

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  13:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it worked culturally, like a Knight in Cormyr, it would be ok, but to have wu-jen or a ninja school appear in Waterdeep I'd be seriously upset.

Personally, I have no use for the new core classes since the basic classes and the hundreds of PrCs are more than enough...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  02:32:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dragons of Faerun theres a favoured Soul in the Church of Tiamat adventure

well, there ya go. they slipped one by me.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  14:10:21  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I really can't say much, but I can say that these issues are being talked about and your opinions are being listened to regarding this issue.

Can you tell me about the decision to include the Favored Soul in Dragons of Faerun which I know you wrote with Mr. Boyd. Why then? Why the Favored Soul? Just curious.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  16:50:49  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That particular adventure was written entirely by me, though Eric is always extremely helpful with ideas and continuity.

At the time, I was looking for something that would put the loyalty of the character in question (to her goddess)at odds with her loyalty to her church. The favored soul's father is the high priest of the church, but in many ways, he is straying from what it seems Tiamat wants at the moment. He disobeys her anti-healing dogma and his church is far too insular. Braeden, the favored soul, has loyalty to Tiamat alone. She is nearly powerful enough to overthrow her father, but would need a substantial reason to do so.

There were undoubtedly other ways to do this, but it seemed to me that the favored soul was one of the base classes that could most seemlessly be introduced into FR.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 21 Oct 2006 16:52:45
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  17:44:17  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That particular adventure was written entirely by me, though Eric is always extremely helpful with ideas and continuity.

At the time, I was looking for something that would put the loyalty of the character in question (to her goddess)at odds with her loyalty to her church. The favored soul's father is the high priest of the church, but in many ways, he is straying from what it seems Tiamat wants at the moment. He disobeys her anti-healing dogma and his church is far too insular. Braeden, the favored soul, has loyalty to Tiamat alone. She is nearly powerful enough to overthrow her father, but would need a substantial reason to do so.

There were undoubtedly other ways to do this, but it seemed to me that the favored soul was one of the base classes that could most seemlessly be introduced into FR.

As a designer, is there any restriction on you w/ regards to the use of "optional" base class?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  16:48:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As a designer, is there any restriction on you w/ regards to the use of "optional" base class?

Absolutely. FR has a long history of traditional archetypes. People have grown accustomed to this and it wouldn't accomplish anything to suddenly add 50 new core classes to the world. That said, FR has always changed with the game. In order to remain a vibrant setting for players, it must adapt to what is happening in the rest of D&D's development. Most of the groups are using some of these new classes and many are requesting information about how to adapt them to the world. We are looking at both the most popular classes and those that fit the world the best.

Some people complain that the themes of the new classes can be accomplished by tailoring your character with the options available to older classes. This is true and it's probably good thing. It means that if we introduce the swashbuckler, knight, or scout to the Realms, nothing significant is going to change, but players and DMs get a few more options. There are other classes, the favored soul, for example, that fit into FR just fine, though they do introduce a slightly new mechanic.

Beyond those classes that change relatively few things, I think it's necessary to occasionally introduce something completely new. The warlock is an excellent example of this. The responses to this class have been overwhelmingly positive, even if some people feel threatened by the class's unlimited use of invocations. This is the type of class that many, if not a large number of players want to see in the Realms. It may be different from what already exists, but I think it's different in a positive way.

This has become a very long explanation, but I think we can assure people that we aren't suddenly going to introduce all of the new classes. That said, some will probably be introduced and we may provide information for how others could be introduced, but without forcing their introduction into your game. And remember, even if we do introduce some of them, you don't have to use them. I don't use all of the new classes in my games, even some that I really like.

In other words, we have a lot of creative freedom, but we won't just go changing everything for the sake of something new.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 22 Oct 2006 16:49:30
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  18:07:40  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan

You have pretty much hit on all the classes that I personally like thatb have beeb introduced. The scout, knight, favored soul, and warlock are nice new base classes that are simliar to the classic types (except for the Warlock). The knight is the old cavalier. The scout is the ranger/rogue (I was always think of Ren from the Pool series). The swashbuckler is Errol Flynn. And I love the Warlock system as a new prototype. I agree its different in a very positive way.

As for many of the other new classes, I could leave them. Things like the duskblade, hexblade, etc I don't like and would not use. But that of course is my humble opinion. Do you guys at WoTC keep tabs somehow on who is using what? Do you note what classes are being well received and which ones have not?

And how does this affect future FR products? Do you see the Warlock being very well received and subsequently feel free to use it in a module and/or sourcebook?

Is there a chance that we may get a new Player's Sourcebook for FR wherein the classes "chosen" become official in the FR?

Sorry about the questions but they are all sort of inter-related

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  00:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with KEJR and Archwizard, but admit I tend towards the conservative side on letting new classes in. That said, I've done my best to accommodate people in my games when they've wanted to play new classes, even recommending one to a player after the concept he put to me.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  02:37:38  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer Merrik, I do keep tabs on what people say on message boards, what I experience in games I run and games I play in, and what my gut and other designers tell me.

It's important to note here that I'm a freelancer, so while I have influence over what I write, and can give input and feedback to the staff, I am not part of the decision making process for everything.

I can't really say what will happen with the classes and future products. I can say that there is an interest in providing optional information - what I mean by this is lore that can be used to develop the new classes, but can just as easily be used for existing core classes (when DMs don't wish to introduce a new class to their game).

As for an official or not official process, that's hard to say. There are a lot of different designers and staff members working on numerous articles for the website and dragon, supplements, adventures, and Web Enhancements. Odds are that some NPCs will pop up with levels in these classes. The same can be said for novels. I've heard novelists talking about a few of the new classes. It's hard to call anything official. It just happens when the time is right.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 23 Oct 2006 20:50:46
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  02:39:31  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eytan

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  20:51:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to discuss thought processes, as long as it's not about something NDA.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  02:11:29  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to discuss thought processes, as long as it's not about something NDA.

Do you think they will ever consider a best "Best Of Complete" when they are finally done with them. After Complete Champion, we'll be up to 6 complete books all with three base classes and add'l PrCs and feats. Do you think they would consider putting the most poplular into 1 super volume?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  20:33:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do you think they will ever consider a best "Best Of Complete" when they are finally done with them. After Complete Champion, we'll be up to 6 complete books all with three base classes and add'l PrCs and feats. Do you think they would consider putting the most poplular into 1 super volume?

I'm more than happy to answer, though it's probably best to ask questions like this in my thread (if they don't pertain to classes in FR. I haven't heard anything about a book like that and I generally know at least the basic idea of most books quite a while in advance. WotC hasn't shown a lot of interest in compendiums of material from specific collections. They did the Spell and Magic Item Compendium because those are really useful and saleable concepts. The Complete Series already sells really well, so I doubt people would really want a compilation.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That i can understand i do say miss the old Encylopidea of Magical items that was a great idea!

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000