Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Lies of Light: Chapters 1 - 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Lies of Light, book 2 of The Watercourse Trilogy, by Philip Athans. Please discuss chapters 1-11 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  15:26:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is definately a different sort of Forgotten Realms trilogy. The main "plot" isn't a plot by the villains that has to be foiled for the good of all, but is a plot by the protagonist to accomplish something major, and despite the fact that it takes place over a long number of years (at least going back to the first book in the trilogy), it is really a much more deliberate pace.

The writing, especially when it comes to Phyrea and her voices, and her encounter with the ghast, is downright creepy, and it feels as much like horror as it does a fantasy novel.

It has been fun to read about Rymut. His hanging back and plotting and gathering information gives to time to appreciate the political side of Red Wizards (though I'm surprised that this far there has only been a few veiled references to his "big project"). I particularly liked his comment to Pyrea when talking about the sword . . . when she said that it kills people and he basically said that the sword did was it was suppose to do . . . very dry, I liked it. I also liked his eavesdropping spell. I enjoy reading about more "mundane" but useful magics that a wizard has access to, as well as his thoughts about sealing the one senator's wife's mouth shut with a spell, and potentially making it permanent.

Ivar is interesting, but I'm not sure that I actually like him. I like some of his actions, and I like the characters that he often has around him (Hrothgar is a good supporting character). While I like the concept of him (think about it . . . in D&D terms this is an EXPERT that is the main focus of a trilogy), he does come across as a bit too talented at times, such as when he manages to badly hurt a naga with a club when his dwarven friend fails to do so.

Willem Korvan seems to be more and more shallow the more this story goes on. It almost seems like the more power he accumulates, the less of a person he becomes. He put on a really pathetic display with Phyrea, though I have to say her ego devastation of him was great.

Oh, given the traits and obsessiveness that many of the characters in this series have, I would say that Athans may have had one more source: the DSM IV.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  22:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I'm finally digging into this trilogy again. Except for a couple of characters and some intermitant preachiness, I like this story overall, and echo KEJR's statements about this series being different in a good way. The style of the novel is more episodic than is typical for an FR novel, and I enjoy the "normal guy" characters.

I still think Ivar Devorast is a tool. How ironic that the "promo" page just inside the front cover has "Embodiments of the Ideal" splayed across it--I think Ivar is Athans's personal "embodiment of the ideal", but worst of all it's so obvious in the writing. And I wish certain characters in the novel would realize that not all tools have a mysterious depth to them, sometimes they are indeed simply tools. Also, am I the only one who thinks the "romance" between Devorass and Phyrea is completely unconvincing. Geez, is it really true that two utterly self-absorbed "people" could be made for each other? Even when there seems to be zero buildup? Well, perhaps--I learn new things everyday.

Speaking of Phyrea, I'm starting to wonder if I actually hate her more than Ivar. It doesn't help that the promo page I mentioned before describes this twit as being "the most beautiful woman in all of Faerun". Oh please, give me a BREAK and chocolates too. Just because Willem thinks that doesn't mean it should be stated like a fact. With Phyrea, beauty (and any other admirable quality) is obviously only skin-deep anyway, but never mind that. Then we have the fact that she is pretty much a walking cliche--a wealthy, "proper lady" by day, but a sexy, leather-clad thief by night! Oh, goodness! That's so impressive. And it reminds me of that very important moral--little girls who seem to have everything really don't have enough, and we should feel sorry for them (my heart is breaking as a write this!) When the little snot gave Willem a verbal beating, I too was disappointed in Willem. Not because he upset this person, but because he continued to give her attention she didn't deserve.

Am I a bad person because I like it when the ghosts taunt her?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Jan 2007 23:00:47
Go to Top of Page

Starchaserva
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  22:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Starchaserva's Homepage Send Starchaserva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it bad that I can't wait to see at least half the characters die? And not the "Ooooooh, that villain is such a jerk, I can't wait for him to get his" style. More of the "Good lord, I wish I could reach into the book and slap you" way. Phyrea is,as Rinonalyrna stated, one of the worst cliches I've ever come across in a Realms novel. During the day, on the outside, she's most perfect little rich girl ever, but at night...she turns into "Cuts Herself Catwoman" The "romance" is almost incoherent. Willem goes crazy for her, she totally stiffs him. She goes simpering crazy for Ivar, and he just wants to bone once in a while. Not to mention that apparently Ran Ai Yu has the hots for him, and so does that Naga from book one. Remember....when she looked at him...she remembered that she was a female. Throughout the first book, he can't be made to care about anything, content to live in filth, and then all of a sudden he gets the balls to break into her house and have his way with her? He should go back to left field where he came from.

An author using a novel and its characters to further some personal ideal is not unusual, but please, learn to do it in a way thats not so obvious. I want to read a good story, not your thinly veiled treatise on what you beleive. Someone mentioned about the first book is that he's basically an athiest...but in the realms...that doesn' usually work out so well
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000