Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Strange... A bit of help please :)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  23:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A friend of mine was banned from a nwn pw due to a missunderstanding. He has tried making a bew account but it still says he is banned. What can he do? How does it know its still him?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  23:42:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He could have been IP banned.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  00:02:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is better to try to resolve misunderstanding, then making a new accout.

IP banning is best answer, though unfair to anybody else that uses the same IP.

I have in other places banned to even prevent a post when was was seeking to disruptive based of IP, it got so bad during the attack I banned a large number of AOL users, though to the end of the attack it was anon poxies. I knew the attacker based on handles and near RT ability to react.

Your friend should try to clear up misunderstanding instead of trying to bypass a ban. Moderators have many ways to detect a person trying to bypass a ban, it is not one single tool.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  00:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you see... It was really bad... Someone got on his computer (Most likely his brother) And walked around yelling racial slurs ooc forever. They wont even talk to him.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  00:26:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

Well you see... It was really bad... Someone got on his computer (Most likely his brother) And walked around yelling racial slurs ooc forever. They wont even talk to him.

Well fixing this becomes hard. One option would be asking another that you know and can contract, that is respected to request intervention. To have ban removed your friend will need to make sure computer is secure from other users using their ID. The admin of course needs to be assured security is in place to prevent imping or Identity Thieft. If this can not be worked out your friend needs to find another server.

This is nothing we can fix from here.

Only posible idea I can offer is using a far different identity, character profile and of course user name. It is posible IP was not blocked, but the simalarity and/or quickness of a new regerstration all might have been a factor.

At best take a few days to let things cool down, then contact admin. Your friend will need to secure computer. I woud advise not using feature of save password, I would advise against auto login if your computer is not password secured against change of users, of course I would adivise as well to log out anytime away from computer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 Aug 2006 01:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  00:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

At best take a few days to let things cool down, then contact admin. Yout friend will need to secure computer. I woud advise not using feature of save password, I would advise against auto login if your computer is not password secured against change of users, of course I would adivise as well to log out anytime away from computer.

Even at home, I have my computer set to lock when the screensaver comes on, and I have a batch file to automatically lock it at 8 a.m., when I leave for work. These are simple methods for having some security.

And in XP, you can lock the machine simply by hitting the Windows key and the letter L.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its alredy too late for that.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:28:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

Its alredy too late for that.

It is never too late to secure computer, it might be too late to get your friend in good standing with admin/modertors of the nwn pw. For the later you can only try to achieve peace and access for your friend. Very few moderators block emial from a banned user, so contract to resolve should be posible (if not for the user, friends of the user).

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  10:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, nobody will believe the "My brother logged on my computer and did this!" story. Nobody. Ever. It's just one step away from "my evil twin did it!" I suggest telling your friend to start looking for a new PC to play on.

Maybe he could have, y'know, not ticked the box in NWN that makes the game remember his password as well as user name when he knows that his PC's not secured.
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  13:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May not be believed but it does happen. Brothers seem to take great fun in ruining the rep of their sibling.

Most likely be no way they will take him back, far easiler to just to do it the way they did.
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  18:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am off to sign him (And myself!) up for alfa
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  19:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good choice.
If you have any questions about ALFA, feel free to buzz me here or on our boards.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000