Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 City of Sschindylryn, any information?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  05:33:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any information written about this city of the middle underdark under Cormyr. Its on both the maps of Drizzt Do'Urdens guide to the Underdark and the 3ed Underdark book, but I can find no information about the cite.

Mostly I wonder about which race inhabits the city.

Edited by - Jorkens on 21 Jul 2006 05:33:53

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  07:14:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's largely undetailed. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark contains lore on Sschindylryn's Gate... but that relates more to a location nine days out from Menzoberranzan.

Interestingly, in Eric's first draft of DDGttU, he intended Sschindylryn's Gate to lead to the drow city of Erelhei Cinlu on Oerth - creating an FR/GH crossover. This was in response to the fact that there was a listing of several Greyhawk drow cities and noble houses in Ed's Drow of the Underdark. This attempt to fix a Realmslore contradiction however didn't get through the editing process.

The 4th WotSQ book contains a little lore as well. The gate itself was originally mentioned in the Menzoberranzan boxed set, but the write-up in DDGttU is pretty much it. There's also a brief bit in the CotSQ web enhancement:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020907a

As well, look at the write-up of the Plungepool in Volo's Guide to Cormyr for why the city ended up under Cormyr.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2006 07:16:47
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  09:46:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, once again you live up to your name, that's just what I needed to know, at least I know for sure now that its a drow city. It could be useful in the long run to know the location to a somewhat inaccessible Greyhawk gate.
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  14:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Thanks Sage, once again you live up to your name, that's just what I needed to know, at least I know for sure now that its a drow city. It could be useful in the long run to know the location to a somewhat inaccessible Greyhawk gate.

If you're after a touch more detail (even if its degree of canonicity is open to question), I asked a similar question back in March (found at http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6454, if you care) and was directed to the link below, which offers a touch more flavour to the city:

http://orion.zztong.com/~zztong/ddsource/chapter01/sschindylryn.html

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  14:49:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links Trace. As the city has been given little detail, I think I will keep it in reserve to use if I was ever to do some drow lore. Maybe a small enclave of drow originally from Oerth could be an idea.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  22:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... the link contains nice lore, but I am always troubled when I read about other cities beside Menzoberranzan having 'Melee-Magtheres' and 'Arach-Tiniliths'. Somehow I have always thought that these are names for unique structures in Menzoberranzan, and NOT such terms as 'Warrior academy' or 'Lolth's high School for angry young priestesses'

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  03:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that this topic comes up so much Sage has the response memorized, as almost word-for-word his posts in all three of the threads are identical.
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hmmm... the link contains nice lore, but I am always troubled when I read about other cities beside Menzoberranzan having 'Melee-Magtheres' and 'Arach-Tiniliths'. Somehow I have always thought that these are names for unique structures in Menzoberranzan, and NOT such terms as 'Warrior academy' or 'Lolth's high School for angry young priestesses'

I agree. Kinda lame... but blegh, oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  03:55:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

It seems that this topic comes up so much Sage has the response memorized, as almost word-for-word his posts in all three of the threads are identical.

Or it could be that, like me, he keeps a file handy, with oft-referenced lore and such ready to cut and paste as needed.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:18:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Or it could be that, like me, he keeps a file handy, with oft-referenced lore and such ready to cut and paste as needed.

That's exactly it. As well, this Sschindylryn reply is part of my Candlekeep Guide to FR FAQ.

::Wait? What is that... I've heard of it? What is that Sage?::

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:21:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's exactly it. As well, this Sschindylryn reply is part of my Candlekeep Guide to FR FAQ.

::Wait? What is that... I've heard of it? What is that Sage?::

That's how my WOTC faq started but why would I keep updating it when most of it is going to be in Sage's Keep faq. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000