Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  22:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.

Ah, appealing to his vanity. Well played, my friend. Well played, indeed.

Let's just hope it works!

You know Knight... he's a devious bast..mastermind if I ever saw one!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  23:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

quote:

Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Ack! If only I can find the time.

You know, I absolutely loved that Dragons of Faerūn and many other accessories have many "standard" or typical DMG magic items called by iconic/famous Realms-specific names (e.g. something like "The Royal Dragoncloak of Impiltur" [Cloak of Charisma +6] etc.) This way they become almost "artifact-like" and unique despite their "general" DMG powers.

Hopefully you'd have time to "Realmsify" some items, like Knight suggested... it'd be nice to also have more "general" and "non-iconic" Realmsian names for some standard magic items/item types (since we now already have many "unique"/iconic names for some famous items).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  19:28:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.

Ah, appealing to his vanity. Well played, my friend. Well played, indeed.

Let's just hope it works!

It certainly can't hurt. Writers have fragile, easily manipulated egos.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  19:29:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Ack! If only I can find the time.

You know, I absolutely loved that Dragons of Faerūn and many other accessories have many "standard" or typical DMG magic items called by iconic/famous Realms-specific names (e.g. something like "The Royal Dragoncloak of Impiltur" [Cloak of Charisma +6] etc.) This way they become almost "artifact-like" and unique despite their "general" DMG powers.

Hopefully you'd have time to "Realmsify" some items, like Knight suggested... it'd be nice to also have more "general" and "non-iconic" Realmsian names for some standard magic items/item types (since we now already have many "unique"/iconic names for some famous items).

We've been trying to do that more and more. I saw that George Krashos was doing it was an awesome upcoming project (and I can't say anything at all about it). I always try to make slightly altered versions, especially for creatures that can't usually wear circlets or cloaks.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  16:32:00  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are a large number of them. Bart Carroll gave me a lot of freedom with them. As for what they'll cover, well, all I'll say is that I am throwing a wide net when it comes to classes. It's not just the most popular, but also some of the weirder and harder to explain classes as well. The first article should explain a lot about how things will work. And the second is a collaborative effort with a special guest writer. I say no more.

Well - I'll try this again, cause the articles are "needed" for giving our charaters some fleshing out
Eytan, even if you won't comment with classes we will see within the next weeks, who many more are there? I would be waiting with more patience, if you could drop a hint, if there will be dwarven characters ... (I know that you are interessted in the elves - but who would do such a good job for the stocky ones! )
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The series is focused on class rather than race. As some have pointed out, elves do have a longer history of magic than dwarves, thus a lot of magic classes will be more geared towards them. That said, I have worked in dwarves in a fairly substantial number of upcoming classes, including gold dwarves and duergar and have attempted to give a lot of other races some time in the spotlight as well (halflings, gnomes, aasimar, tieflings, genasi, fae, duergar, and even some monstrous races).

As for my interests, I admit that I have slightly more elven characters than dwarven ones (mainly because I play a lot of magic users), but I am quite fond of all of the PHB races, dwarves included.

I plan to cover pretty much everything published in a core book. I don't know if that will include Oriental Adventures, though it will most likely include the eastern themed classes in other books such as ninjas, samurai, etc... I'm not allowed to say what's coming up next, though I will say that the following two classes are in the "dark" category like archivists and dread necromancers.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  16:43:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Eytan, in your articles concerning Warlocks, Hexblades, and all of that, you used a few Elven terms: Kel'min'hara, Nael'kerym, or H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé. You included the general translations for each term, but, what would the literal translations of each word be? If you don't already know, I have a large Faerūnian Elven dictionary, and I am interested in adding these words to it. While having the general translations is good, having the translations for each individual word makes the dictionary more exact, and allows me to create more word combinations, and therefore, more entries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  20:37:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Eytan, in your articles concerning Warlocks, Hexblades, and all of that, you used a few Elven terms: Kel'min'hara, Nael'kerym, or H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé. You included the general translations for each term, but, what would the literal translations of each word be? If you don't already know, I have a large Faerūnian Elven dictionary, and I am interested in adding these words to it. While having the general translations is good, having the translations for each individual word makes the dictionary more exact, and allows me to create more word combinations, and therefore, more entries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some of it I made up and some of it is based on other sources. I believe Nael'Kerym was picked up from the work of Steven Schend, though a lot of these pieces of terms have been referenced in different books (Bladesinger, the Last Mythal, Evermeet, etc...). I think I made up Kel'min'hara and H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé.

As for translations, I would say that Kel means defender, min means swift, and hara means blessed, so the translation is pretty literal. H'ei'Yal is a word for "flourishing blade dance" and Drathinmaleé means "metal artist." So literally, it would be something like "artist of the flourishing metal blade dance." Nael is dusk and kerym is blade, so it is literally dusk blade.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  17:01:50  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to say thank you for your wonderful articles. They were both flavorful and inspiring. It's nice to see WotC allowed you to write fluff material that was sorely needed in the Realms. That's the kind of material I like to see.

Too bad they won't do a "Races Chronicles", because I really would love to see articles on the new races like the Xeph, Maenads, Raptoran, Goliath, Snow Elves, Illumians, etc. make it officially into the Realms.

But with 4E on the rise, unfortunately, and the Realms being torn asunder into a whole new campaign setting with just the "Forgotten Realms" logo on the front, we'll never see anything like that again
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  00:27:29  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I would like to say thank you for your wonderful articles. They were both flavorful and inspiring. It's nice to see WotC allowed you to write fluff material that was sorely needed in the Realms. That's the kind of material I like to see.

Too bad they won't do a "Races Chronicles", because I really would love to see articles on the new races like the Xeph, Maenads, Raptoran, Goliath, Snow Elves, Illumians, etc. make it officially into the Realms.

But with 4E on the rise, unfortunately, and the Realms being torn asunder into a whole new campaign setting with just the "Forgotten Realms" logo on the front, we'll never see anything like that again

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm sure that there will be new column ideas once we have 4e Realms in place.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  01:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too was very impressed by your articles Eytan. And it was a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  21:39:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I too was very impressed by your articles Eytan. And it was a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con.

Thanks Brian! It was indeed a pleasure. I'm amazed at how you juggle family with everything else.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

Do you know yet if you will be working on any 4e Realms materials? And if you do know (and can tell us) when can you tell us what they are?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  08:05:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Eytan,

Do you know yet if you will be working on any 4e Realms materials? And if you do know (and can tell us) when can you tell us what they are?

Thanks,
Hawkins

I'm not currently working on any 4e Realms products. The 4E FRCS is nowhere near complete yet, so it may be a while before freelancers are involved in writing Realms products. It's certainly possible that some articles could come down the pike, though I'm not working on any right now. I can say that I'll soon be working on another non-FR project, but can't say what it will be.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  05:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may, Mr. Bernstein, I have another question for you:
In your article on the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords classes, your brief summary on the prestige classes mentions Jade Phoenix Mages as "relatively common", as opposed to the near-singularity of 13 eternally-reincarnating members as portrayed in the book. Would this mean, that in Faerūn, that it is just another style, as opposed to a unique group? Also, you mention the Jade Phoenix Mage as being Shou in origin; what would the most common name(s) for it be in Faerūn?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  18:31:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

If I may, Mr. Bernstein, I have another question for you:
In your article on the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords classes, your brief summary on the prestige classes mentions Jade Phoenix Mages as "relatively common", as opposed to the near-singularity of 13 eternally-reincarnating members as portrayed in the book. Would this mean, that in Faerūn, that it is just another style, as opposed to a unique group? Also, you mention the Jade Phoenix Mage as being Shou in origin; what would the most common name(s) for it be in Faerūn?

Relatviely common as opposed to in the West, but not necessarily in great numbers. I'm not a huge fan of limiting the number of any given prestige class in a setting-based publication. People can do that in their own games, but there isn't a need to do it in the setting itself. If you want there to be 13, you would certainly have precedent for it in your game. People don't tend to abide by these guidelines even when their put in place. Considering that this has the feel of a Kara-Turan class, I indicated relatively common as compared to the West.

For instance, there are far more Salubri characters in VtM than can be accounted for in the mythology; any PC playing a drow, unless in an evil game, is by far the rarest exception to the rule in the Realms; Chosen are extremely rare, but people continue to ask about templates for them; few people become liches, but the rules exist for them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe these sorts of restrictions to rarely work. If a DM wants something to be rare in his game, he makes it rare.

You might have 13 in the East and 2 or 3 in the West. I suspect that those Westerners who have been indoctrinated into Jade Phoenix Magic (or studied it in some other manner) may well identify themselves by their original allegiances. Thus, a Raumathari Battlemade who studied this art might still consider himself as part of his original order. So might a bladesinger. Or, the practitioner might create an entirely new name based on the fusion of styles. I think it's up to each Western PC (and that PCs DM) to create a name that suits the fusion of styles.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 31 Oct 2007 05:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  20:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I talked with the player interested in it, and decided on a middle ground for my version of the Realms:
It's a non-unique style, (rare in the West, semi-common in Kara-Tur), but that the masters of the style actively seek out would-be apprentices. Thanks again for the (quick) response.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

The answer I got on the WotC boards was that Osse is the continent to the SE of Kara-Tur. Just thought I would make sure someone told you too! BTW, I am hoping to see you working on 4e Realms products, I really like your work.

--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Eytan,

The answer I got on the WotC boards was that Osse is the continent to the SE of Kara-Tur. Just thought I would make sure someone told you too! BTW, I am hoping to see you working on 4e Realms products, I really like your work.

--Hawkins

Thanks. That was my impression of Osse as well, but lacking much in the way of source material, I didn't want to commit to an answer. I look forward to working on 4e Realms products as well, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  20:39:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

Any help would be appreciated!

PDK
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

PDK

Hmm. Xephs. I would be more likely to make them an inherently psionic race like Thri-Kreen or Loxo - a slightly monstrous looking, but basically humanoid race with psionic abilities. As with the others of these kinds of races, the Shining South would probably be the best place to have nomadic tribes of Xeph.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  22:15:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Eytan,

PDK

Hmm. Xephs. I would be more likely to make them an inherently psionic race like Thri-Kreen or Loxo - a slightly monstrous looking, but basically humanoid race with psionic abilities. As with the others of these kinds of races, the Shining South would probably be the best place to have nomadic tribes of Xeph.

Thank you Eytan!

The Shaar seems to tend perfectly to the Xeph gypsie-like nature. Their description in the XPH seems to align well with the principles of Shaundakul. I'll have fun with this! :)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  05:05:13  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Eytan,

PDK

Thank you Eytan!

The Shaar seems to tend perfectly to the Xeph gypsie-like nature. Their description in the XPH seems to align well with the principles of Shaundakul. I'll have fun with this! :)

I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2008 :  05:29:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  04:39:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?

I was leaving that purposefully ambiguous because I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) what was happening with that particular god or chosen in general. It was my intention that he be the chosen of the Baravar Cloakshadow, but I couldn't say for certain what's happening now.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:22:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 29 Nov 2008 23:23:07
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  03:33:08  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.

If you keep an eye out, I think you'll find some more information about fighting styles of bladesinger/duskblade/swordmages in 2009 that will help to answer some of your questions. Any more than that, however, and I would probably be violating 6 or 7 different NDAs.

If you're looking for purely 3.5 speculation, I'd suggest that the duskblades of the Realms are more militant than the bladesingers. Their style is more heavy, a little bit less finesse and grace, replaced by a lot more discipline and regimentation. A bladesinger is more carefree and unpredictable. A duskblade is more rigid and precise.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  03:36:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  02:21:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.

Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  05:21:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.

-Only if Colonel Blake wasn't their commanding officer. Couldn't instill a shred of discipline into some of those under his command, that one...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000