Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Aspect of Orcus bait and switch . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:54:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright, opinion time . . .

I wrote the current adventure that the PCs in my campaign are on using the Aspect of Orcus presented in the miniatures handbook. Since then, I have looked at the one online in the Web Enhancement for the Fiendish Codex, and while its only a little different, I do like it better, but its a bit deadlier.

Both aspects are CR 9. The WE version has a slightly better damage reduction, but DR was either epic for the miniatures one or cold iron and good, and neither is going to work for the PCs, who are an evil/neutral party.

The group is 6 characters of 5th level each. The aspect online causes a necromantic death effect whenever it gets a critical with its lesser Wand of Orcus, while the Miniatures Handbook one can only use the Death Effect once per day, but gets to use it on a normal hit once it declares that it is using it.

So, would I be unfair switching aspects in the middle of the adventures. So far, all the PCs have done is talked to it (its bound in a summoning circle for now), and the necrophant has figured out its traits, which would be the same except the damage reduction.

Should I stick with the old, or update?

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say this is your call since you know the party's abilities and group's style of play. Lots of video games (even realms based ones) have 'Bosses' that somehow evolve or become more empowered in a fight (although I think that it has been done to ridiculous effect in many cases). So for PnP I don't think a minor change like this is too far fetched.

To have it 'make sense', maybe a sudden in-game ritual or invocation causes the nature of the Aspect to change slightly (becoming the version you want it to) or maybe because the party is in fact evil, the Aspect is able to feed off all their evil essence slightly to empower the alteration, despite the fact that it is bound...once you establish the change you might inform the necrophant that something seems different about the aspect...and allow the character a chance to try re-analyze the aspect.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  06:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The major difference Ive noticed is that the Hordes of the Abyss Aspects seem to be more like an Avatar ie the Aspect has their own agendas and goals the Aspects as described in Minis hand book tended to be more like Summoned monsters ie they'd come they'd serve who ever summoned them and then they would fade away they didnt issue orders they really didnt have any goal of there own other then to serve the summoner in the deities name.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000