Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with plotline for talking with a dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  23:40:00  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, one of my groups in the Forgotten Realms is returning a young Silver Dragon's heart to his parents. The party adventured with an NPC Elf Bard for a good long while, but on one of their adventures, he was killed. On his dying breath, he asked for his heart to be returned to his parents. -- The parents are http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020522a (Deszeldaryndun Silverwing) and http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a (Valamaradace, "the Dragon Queen)

I have a few questions I would like to get your opinions on.

1) I envision them living in a castle in the clouds. Any suggestions on a good map of a castle, as well as a photo. I was thinking perhaps one of the castles in the old Castle boxed sets. Any links to other ideas you may have would also be greatly appreciated.

2) Once they find this peak or whatever the castle sits upon, what would be a good way for them to get there? Should they face a series of tests to enter? Perhaps something along the Challenge of Champions series from Dungeon Magazines? Or, should they be able to just march right in and present themselves in the court of the 2 dragons?

3) What would the reaction of the parents be?

4) What would be an appropriate reward for the various PCs? Some were with the young silver dragon when he died and have seen it through for 4 months real-time, 6 months in game time. Other PCs just joined the group in the past 4-5 game sessions.

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  03:58:53  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To try to get some more thoughts, here are some of the ideas I came up with. Perhaps some good people here can help me expand upon them. I tried to keep in mind the beliefs of both gold and silver dragons since it is a gold and silver dragon couple's lair the party wishes to enter.

There are 3 levels, and once the PCs enter the foyer, they have to pass through these 3 levels before they can reach the final door that opens into the dragon's lair.

In the foyer, either a magic mouth, a servant/minion/butler type of creature, or some type of magic writing would greet the party (any suggestions what creature this could be?). It explains to them that in order for them to gain an audience and enter the receiving chamber of the Silver Dragon, they must pass 3 tests of virtue. He explains all good sentient beings are comprised of a balance of three basic traits that set them apart from animals and monsters -- Knowledge, Character and Wits.

The first floor is the Test of Wit. They answer some riddles, solve some puzzles, and the exit door opens, allowing them passage out of the first floor and passage to the 2nd level. What these riddles or puzzles are, I have no idea yet.

The second floor is the Test of Knowledge. I came up with 4-5 topics that the party would be "tested" with, hopefully being able to highlight a skill from each of the 5 PCs. (A human wizard; a human barbarian/ranger/fighter; a halfling ranger/rogue; a dwarf priest; and a human bard). The topics I came up with are Geography, History, Music, Magic, and Religion. Some sample questions I came up with are stuff like:
---For Geography, a riddle perhaps about the Dragon Wall that seperates Kara-Tur from the rest of the Forgotten Realms.
---For History, perhaps a prophecy of Alaundo the Sage from teh past.
I am hoping some people wiser than me that are here can help me come up with some tough, but fun, questions or riddles here. Once each of the 5 PCs passes their part, the exit is shown, and they are granted passage out and up to the 3rd level.

The third floor is the Test of Character. I came up with 4 characteristics I thought would make up a good test of character. These four are Loyalty, Respect, Honor, and Integrity. ----For Loyalty, I thought them bringing the young dragon's heart back may prove that. Or perhaps, a riddle that the answer is Team Unity or some such.
---For respect, I thought about each PC sacrificing something that another race other than their's holds dear (Halfings cherish family, food, drink and pipeweed; Dwarves cherish their beards, craftmanship and good brew; etc...)
---For Honor, I thought each PC would have to speak of his or her greatest fear. I am hoping this will also build closer unity among the party for the future.
---For Integrity, I haven't figured anythign else out.
Again, I am hoping folks here can help me nail down something a little more concrete and/or more rounded to make this a memorable game.

After the three floors (and tests) are passed, I envision the PCs entering the top of the mountain, where they come to a large chamber with a domed ceiling. This will be a programmed illusion of some sort that has the constellations of Faerun upon it. I was thinking perhaps giving the PCs a map of the stars of Faerun and let them find 3-4 constellations. Once they do this, the four names form some kind of clue to a another riddle or puzzle. Once the PCs figure this out, and spoke the answer, the final door would open to the audience/receiving chamber of Namaste's father -- an Ancient Silver Dragon.

They would enter, turn over the heart of Namaste to his father, and be justly rewarded.

Well, those are some of the thoughts I brainstormed whil watching X-Men 3 tonight with my wife.

Any suggestions to further expand upon these ideas would be greatly appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  04:01:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your ideas... But didn't the description of their home speak more of a giant floating hollow rock?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  04:10:44  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. The final door that opens will open into this giant, floating, hollow rock. The large majority of the hollow rock would be the receiving/audience hall, with 4 alcoves leading to small fissures in the rock -- a library, a treasury, an armory, and a music/art room.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000