Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Urban Druids: Gods, Names, and Places in Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  00:04:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Urban Druids (out of the Dragon Compendium, and by extention a Dragon Magazine article a few years back) are divine spellcasters that revere the ecology of a given city. They don't so much revere nature, or nature in cities, but the overall ecology of the city. They get spells that let them repair damage to buildings and the like, as well as being able to summon constructs (like animated objects) and speaking to old buildings that way a normal druid speaks to plants and animals.

I think a lot of cities of the Realms have a definate feel and ecology to them, so I like the idea of this class, but I have a few questions about how to fit them in, and I would appreciate my fellow scribes brainstorming on this topic.

All divine casters in the Realms have a divine patron. Who would be a good divine patron for an Urban druid (they are limited to LN, N, NE, and NG in their alignment)?

Furthermore, "urban druid" does make them sound like they have some connection to nature . . . I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what kind of name you would give to the class, that might make is sound more like a priest dedicated to the "feel" of their city.

Thanks all.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  00:12:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druid? :)

The bottom bar on page 24 of the FRCS says there are druids in some of the major cities. :)

I'd say all the druid deities would fit but Chauntea might have more of a stronger faithful with druids that live in the cities, however there are trees and pools etc in cities which would allow the other druids of the deities to connect to thier deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 May 2006 00:14:16
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  00:34:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking for urban druid info. I thought I read some thing like this about a week ago. Anyways, I did find Urban Ranger on page 55 of unearthed Arcana. It talks about urban tracking, animal companions, spell exclussions and such. Additionally, I recall lanseril (sp?) of the knights of myth drannor. he stated something to the effect of: all of the people of shadowdale are creatures to be cared for, same as the animals in the forest. No catchy titles found yet though.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  00:42:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone that doesn't have the Dragon Compendium Volume One, but might have some issues of Dragon Magazine, the class in the March 2004 issue, Dragon 317.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  04:30:15  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me like Gond would be a good patron for urban druids. His alignment, focus on invention, development and civilization all fit. Another good choice is Waukeen.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  04:32:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see those, definately, especially in cities where their temples are fairly prominent. I bet there are some Urban Druids of Gond in Tilver . . . no, wait . . .

Seriously though, those two definately seem like good choices. I thought of Siamorphe too, except that I'm not sure if a noble in Waterdeep would revere the "whole" city ecology of Waterdeep, for example.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000