Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archmage lv 3 versus a Wizard Lv 22 ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Walking in the Light
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Walking in the Light's Homepage Send Walking in the Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I must thank all of the esteemed CandleKeep faculty for taking time to read my inquiry
With your help I am sure the Light of truth shall shine in the hearts of darkness everywhere
Like many sages here we often come across writings that intrigue the mind
Recently I have stumbled across a well made tome called....

LOST EMPIRES FAERUN

This tome speaks of rumors of an ancient Wizard by the name of Neram a Mulhorand also known as the World-Walker a powerful Wizard at Lv 22

Neram has recently returned to our humble Realm and has found his tower looted
A spell book of his has some how ended up in the hands of the Half Drow Maeve of Starmantle
Wizard Lv 13/Archmage LV3

My many questions to the Wise body of CandleKeep is .....

1) A lv 13 wizard can become a lv 3 Archmage?

2) And if so why wouldent a lv 22 Wizard not take Archmage skills as well

3) Also would the LV 22 Wizard be an equal match to a Wizard lv 13 /Archmage Lv 3 in battle and skill?

Any Light that you can shine on this would be most helpful
I thank you

From the Book Halfling Sayings by Agudo

A Lion Tamer once said, if ya need an illusionist for thy circus then call a Gnome
But if thy circus needs a clown send in the Halflings

Chapter 5-The town of Gullykin on the Sword Coast
By Lady Silvin Lionheart, speaking to Agudo in the year of the Comical Halfling

Edited by - Walking in the Light on 02 Apr 2006 21:40:50

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  22:02:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) "Archmage
Hit Die

d4.
Requirements

To qualify to become an archmage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills

Knowledge (arcana) 15 ranks, Spellcraft 15 ranks.
Feats

Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus in two schools of magic.
Spells

Ability to cast 7th-level arcane spells, knowledge of 5th-level or higher spells from at least five schools. "

All the requirements can be meet by level 13.

Skill ranks can be 16 in all class skills.

The required feats cab be aquired by level 5 (or less depending on race).

Able to cast 7th level spells.

2) This is harder to answer, howver familar does not increase from being an Archmage (I do not see, with quick look any other cost).

3) The Wiz 22 des have greater access to spells able to cast, has a better BAB if spells get exhaysted. In combat the results are unknown, however I would expect the Wiz 22 would win most of them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  02:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont think its just about stats etc. any mage of 15lvl or higher is extremely dangerous and even if you are higher level than one you should remember that there are spells you have never even dreamed of adn traps and tactics that are unescabpable if played right so it would be wise for the higher level wizard to put alot of thought in how to go about retrieving the tome

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  04:29:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the information is fairly broad, but I would still feel that a 22nd level wizard would stil be more powerful than a level 13 wizard/3 archmage. I would assume that each has it's own advantages and disvantages of choosing a class, the overall level and spell access would probably determine the end result of a duel between 2 charcaters of this sort. However we do still have 6 levels of difference here, it could come down to luck of the draw as afar as an outcome for battle and overall skill. I think individual feats and such could make it close.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  07:07:43  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2) And if so why wouldent a lv 22 Wizard not take Archmage levels as well

Personal choice. You don't have to take any prestige class or do a bulid. Not every arcane spellcaster is an Archmage.

3) Also would the LV 22 Wizard be an equal match to a Wizard lv 13 /Archmage Lv 3 in battle and skill?

Hard to say. Depends a lot on the characters, you can't just go by the numbers. Not every character is a well rounded super combat bulid. Spell picks are also important, one or two bad picks and the spellcaster will go down in flames.

Bt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000