Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 On Cormyr (Caladnei and Alusair)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Holy Slayer of Lathander
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  10:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Holy Slayer of Lathander's Homepage Send Holy Slayer of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, Sages most learned.

I am searching for descriptions of the two marvelous women controlling the wonderful country of Cormyr, namely the Steel Regent and her trusted advisor.

I need references or the description of both their personalities and their looks.

If you would be so can and help me (or point me to the right direction), I would be most delighted.

May Lathander shine on your souls.

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  11:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd read the Cormyr series. The three books provide some insight on those two.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  11:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

El's Daughter is easily the best source on Caladnei besides the FRCS, including details on the relationship between the two; I don't recall if Caladnei even appeared in the Cormyr series.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  11:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picture of Alusair

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/AlusairObarskyr.jpg

Picture of Caladnei

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/Caladnei.jpg

Both pics are from the FRC where their respective write ups can be found

Further infomation can be found in the 04, 05 and 06 Ed files

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Holy Slayer of Lathander
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  11:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Holy Slayer of Lathander's Homepage Send Holy Slayer of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the Cormyr seveies, but found it somewhat dry on Caladnei.
I guess I will have a try with El's Daughter. (Though the first three Elminster books were very... hard to read. Part of me wanted to feed the fire with 'em. I wonder how I could finsih them alive.)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  12:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admittedly it takes some time getting used to Ed's style in the Elminster series. It took me two tries to get through both Cormyr: A Novel, and Elminster: Making of a mage.

Try reading when you are well rested, it helps ;-)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  15:53:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also look through my Ed files that can be found in my sig. He's discussed the two of them on and off in 2004 and 2005. Use the index and search for them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:54:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can get your hands on the Dragon Magazine Annual for 2000, it has an article of Cormyr "After the Dragon," the discusses Alusair somewhat. Furthermore, Alusair appears in one of the short stories of Best of the Realms II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood, and both Caladnei and Alusair appear in Ed's "When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne" in Realms of Shadow.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  18:02:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

El's Daughter is easily the best source on Caladnei besides the FRCS, including details on the relationship between the two; I don't recall if Caladnei even appeared in the Cormyr series.

She was there for bit
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  16:24:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best physical and character descriptions of Caladnei and Alusair are definitely in Ed's unpublished "character sketches" of them, done in preparation for his Realms of Shadows short story.
Being as you can't get to read that, the next best thing is reading that story and ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER. For one thing, it's the only place you'll find hair and eye colour, descriptions of how they move and their physical habits (poses, etc.), and speech between them in relaxed (as opposed to public, formal) moments.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  19:51:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Character Sketches from Ed.. sounds like a good WOTC website article series
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  11:45:02  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have read about alusair and caladnei's personalities and their past, now i wonder if the drawings in the frcs are accurate... they gave alusair a mithral armor but it's golden in the pic. also, you can't really see what color her eyes and hair are. i suppose she must be quite a strong woman physically, but i don't know how old is she, nor any other details. as for caladnei, i know she's half turmian and half cormyrean... but i still haven't understood how turmian people are supposed to look like. some people draw them black-skinned, but their names resemble italian or spanish names. considering i don't have access to the novels, can anyone give any detail?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  12:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assume the illustrations aren't accurate.

Alusair is born 1335 DR (1310 CR).

Folk of Turmish are mahogany-skinned; where does it say different? Vilhon names sound slightly Mediterranean, but that doesn't guarantee any other likeness.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  12:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Character Sketches from Ed.. sounds like a good WOTC website article series
With the villains, they'd be ideal for Dungeon's "Critical Threat" column.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:38:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Indeed. Especially with some of the earlier 3.x stuff. It seemed as if the artists weren't required to read descriptions of what they were supposed to illustrate. It was a big complaint, a few years ago.

I think they've done a lot better with that, of late, though I'm still not overly impressed with much of the artwork.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It still looks to me as if either they aren't given detailed art orders, or aren't made to follow them.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  18:11:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all fairness this started in late 2ed. For example Lockwoods boy-band version of Fzoul on the cover of Villains lorebook didnt exactly match the descriptions and illustrations already done.

The artwork has been getting a little better lately; power of Faerun actually had a couple of pieces I liked (a couple of Daarkens and Ron Lemens work. I still miss the classic 80's and 90's stuff.
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:07:59  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alusair is born 1335 DR (1310 CR).

Folk of Turmish are mahogany-skinned; where does it say different? Vilhon names sound slightly Mediterranean, but that doesn't guarantee any other likeness.

well, looking at old szass tam and matching his pic with the description i admit i had thought these pics aren't that accurate

so alusair was born in 1,335dr? that means she's 37 in 1,372. thank you! i still wonder if someone knows her hair and eye color...?

nowhere i've seen it is hinted about how the people of turmish look like (in frcs they only talk about their square beards, spicy food and good armors), but a picture of caladnei shows her with a complexion that while not fair can't certainly be described as mahogany... dusky at best. or tan. another inaccurate picture i guess? but how come turmians are so dark-skinned when they're so further north than chult, tashalar, and even calimshan? thanks again!

mmh, now that i think about it, if pics aren't to be trusted, then fzoul chembryl's pics with blond hair and moustaches and a gem on his forehead are not correct either? and manshoon in that helmet? where can i find some drawings of all these people where they appear a bit more like they are described?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:21:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted bt w2b
mmh, now that i think about it, if pics aren't to be trusted, then fzoul chembryl's pics with blond hair and moustaches and a gem on his forehead are not correct either? and manshoon in that helmet? where can i find some drawings of all these people where they appear a bit more like they are described?

I used this example as it is one of the most irritating ones for me personally. Fzoul has been described as red-headed and all earlier depictions of him showed him with the banites facial tattoos. And why give him a moustache that looked as if it was made out of horsehair? He was also made a decade or so younger in the Lockwood version.
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:33:00  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is as a matter of fact an example that i'm very interested in!

so fzoul is older, red-haired, with the banite facial tattoos (what do they look like?) and without moustache? well that makes more sense... it's a pity lockwood made him all wrong when he's such a good artist.

thank you jorkens! (i knew his hair had to be red, i read it in the tot trilogy! ^___^ ).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:40:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are derailing the thread here, but he has a moustache, I was complaining over Lockwoods drawing style on that subject. When It comes to the age thing, it is more in comparison with earlier pictures.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  20:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
w2b, see FRCS p. 221, right under 'Life and Society' -- and every other write-up of Turmish.

Manshoon's lucha libre mask ('battle gorget'), like Elminster's seanconnerization and sword, is a deliberate new look thought up by the FRCS design team.
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  21:52:06  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh dammit, yes it does say they have dark skin. sorry everybody, didn't want to derail the thread, and thanks for all the info about manshoon and chembryl and the two ladies of cormyr!

thank you!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:03:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Indeed. Especially with some of the earlier 3.x stuff. It seemed as if the artists weren't required to read descriptions of what they were supposed to illustrate. It was a big complaint, a few years ago.
Indeed.

Incorrect drow skin tones wasn't fun the first time around.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  18:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I bet Ed's prose is just hell for a non-native speaker of english, you really need to read it like you were speaking it, and then it shines right through, plus I think it has gotten alot better, I made it about half way through Elminster in Myth Drannor, but read Elminster's Daughter in like one night.

Anyways, I really dig the Moustache, I superimpose Fzoul's picture on Vorcingeterix and go from there! I better watch it or I'll start painting myself Blue again and running around the neighborhood. By the by boys and girls if you are going to do that make sure you do it when you are sober, trust me on this its pretty hard to explain otherwise to the local constabulary.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  16:13:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think they'd have an easier time accepting why you're doing it if you're not sober, me.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  16:20:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget thre is a mini of Alusair that is a must have.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  17:05:59  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure, in the aberrations set... (btw i wonder what's the rationale for putting poor lady obarskyr in a set called 'aberrations'!)...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000