Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 God of Tyranny??? (pre-Bane)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  05:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anybody knew if there was (and if so, who) a god of Tyranny before Bane??? I know the story of Jergal handing down his portfolios but I seem to remember him handing down Strife, Death, and the Dead. Strife is the only one Bane has (had) from that list so I would like to know who had his other portfolios previously. Specifically Tyranny but also Hatred and Fear.

In my Zhentarim campaign I want to have the PC's search for an artifact that the church of Bane covets and I would like it to be something devoted to Tyranny that pre-dates Bane himself (it just fits my story best this way).

If anybody knows of a deity that would work or have any other ideas to work this I would appreciate it.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  07:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Netheril Empire of Magic Jergals portfolios are

Death, the dead, order in death, funerals and tombs, undeath, the undead, wasting, old age, exhaustion, tyranny, dusk

So he was the pre Bane god of tyranny

You'll notice though that 2 of Banes other portfolios arent present

Hatred and Strife.

Now Bane could of got the Hatred portfolio from Borem the former god of Anger who Bane killed him (As Yoda will tell you Anger leads to Hate)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dargoth. Borem sounds like a plan. Do you happen to know where his main area of worship was (Old Empires, Imaskar, Netheril)?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Thanks Dargoth. Borem sounds like a plan. Do you happen to know where his main area of worship was (Old Empires, Imaskar, Netheril)?

Sembia

Borem had his realm there

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  23:18:50  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Tiamat and Gilgeam have tyranny as significant components of their dogma, though that would be more limited to Unther and surrounding areas.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  01:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Sembia

Where can I find out more about this Borem fellow??? Any sources would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  04:10:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  06:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

Sembia

Where can I find out more about this Borem fellow??? Any sources would be much appreciated.

Faithes and Pantheons under the Jathiman Dagger and Borems Quagheart on pages 169 and 170

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  08:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any other sources for Borem aside from F&A and F&P?

-- Actually, wasn't there also something covered in Lost Empires of Faerun?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  11:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm actually surprised I missed the info in Faiths and Pantheons since I've read the tome from cover to cover at least once. Faiths and Avatars I have not yet looked through, I'm a 3rd Edition convert to the realms and actually just recently picked up a copy of Faiths and Avatars from ebay but have not yet read it.

I have read through Lost Empires of Faerun but don't seem to remember anything in there, but then again, I didn't remember anything from Faiths and Pantheons anyway.

Thanks for all the info.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  17:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See Faiths & Avatars.

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying on this topic. But for the life of me I cannot seem to find any mention of Borem in Faiths and Avatars. A page number would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  21:01:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The part about Boren's Quagheart (previously mentioned) is pretty useful (Page 170 F&P).

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  21:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

The part about Boren's Quagheart (previously mentioned) is pretty useful (Page 170 F&P).

Yes, I have read that part now thanks. I was really looking for the references in Faiths and Avatars, the 2nd edition supplement.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  22:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont think Borems mentioned in F&A

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  01:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He is . . . in Bane's entry.

But there's more details in F&P - - what with the adventure in the back of the book as well.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:31:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

He is . . . in Bane's entry.

But there's more details in F&P - - what with the adventure in the back of the book as well.

Stick with F&P for Borem .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Borem (of the Lake of Boiling Mud) and several other "quasideities" (lost gods) were originally mentioned in the 'Pool of Radiance' computer game from SSI. There was a journal entry in the manual that referred to an old legend of Bane's ascension to godhood (if my memory serves me right).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it does.

Inside the manual, it talks about Borem and the nature of the Seven Lost Gods.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000