Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A curst character
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
An exotic character idea struck me, which of course means that I must find out how it'll work out.
Simply put, I wish to play a curst, which has no memories of his past due to the transformation - or perhaps something else?
What I had in mind was that he was actually cursed by a deity or possibly an abyssal power for reasons unknown so far. I have tossed around ideas about a treacherous priest of Velsharoon, who is then punished and "blessed" in a cruel way, and of others such.
Currently all I have is:
The characters name is simply Cur, short of Curst, he is lost and alone, has lost all his hope, is of Chaotic Neutral- alingment, and used to pray for Kelemvor - after he happened to hear of the said god - but lost his faith since his undeath continued on and on. He fears that he is going mad, for he hears bizarre whispers from time to time. The voice of Velsharoon, who urges Cur to toss away his futile search for petty death, and understand the great gift he has been bestowed with.

The major driving point(s) with this character would be angst and search for salvation. Though rather hard for the DM, this type of a character would be succesful only with heavy roleplaying instead of mere adventuring and fighting. "Not gold. Death!"
Needless to say, I find the whole idea extremely intriguing!

Currently, I am running short with major background info, not to mention that curst's aren't your every day characters - those who look out for gamebalance would smite this idea immediately.
Now, though the amnesia does allow me to invent things while running, I would still appreciate it if any of you fine, wise sages would hear aid me in scribing this dark saga to a sad, tragic end.

And that be the end of that story.

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:48:59  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's a huge problem with your PC.

As cool as the search for redemption is, that five percent chance of attacking anything in sight, including your fellow PC's, leads to a swift death.

Always consider the effects on your fellow players before choosing what character you want to play.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  09:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is a alter mind spell, this spell could have been used on cur and he does not remember the spell being used on him.
thats how I would play the character, with a mind altering spell used on him. The voice of the god calling him is a reminder of who he used to be. may be cru could go with a group and then find some one who know him before his memory was taken from him. this could lead to some interesting role playing. the curse could have been the form of a mind altering spell. because cru stumbled on to something and had his mind altered. Play him with a memory loss aligment and let him find clues to his past. Cur might have stumbled on to a invasion from one of the nine hells or worse.

Leave him bread crums to follow and then let cur have to go to his ex high priest and have his memory brought back after a long journy with others.

this could be played in alot of ways and I can see many ways to play this character.
alter memory spell, a cruse by a god or priest of an evil god. it would have to be something important to wipe his memory.
just something that came to my mind
Go to Top of Page

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  14:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

As cool as the search for redemption is, that five percent chance of attacking anything in sight, including your fellow PC's, leads to a swift death.

Always consider the effects on your fellow players before choosing what character you want to play.

I might be wrong here, but doesn't that chance come from curst's Madness extraordinary ability, which starts to take effect only if your Wisdom drops below 5? If it is, then in that case no problem from that department.

And several warm compliments to Rolindin, for those are excatly my lines of thought. Ofcourse I do not want to make it too easy for him, since when he finds out a way to end his sufferings, well, that's it then. Game's over. Would have to be one heck of a romance (and a bit necrophilic if you think about it that way) to keep him around even a second longer than it's absolutely necessary.

And that be the end of that story.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unski

quote:
Originally posted by msatran

I might be wrong here, but doesn't that chance come from curst's Madness extraordinary ability, which starts to take effect only if your Wisdom drops below 5? If it is, then in that case no problem from that department.

Actually, the current curst writeup(the one in LEoF) has Madness take effect at Wisdom 1-2, and it just means you stand still. Even the entry in Monsters of Faerun (where it's not entered as a special quality), doesn't say anything about randomly attacking others-I've no clue where he's getting that concept from. That said, I do agree with him that it's unplayable in a party, but because it's unkillable, to say nothing of its other qualities. It's too powerful defensively to be balanced at a playable level as a PC. Simple as that.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  20:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the alter memorie spell is a 2e spell from one of the old fr boosk and I have encountered it before.
It would seem that cur needs help more that he realizes, the alter memorie spell is a form of brain washing and can change a character alot. think of patty hurst and what she went through.
the same thing, it would seem that some one or a group spent a lot of time to change his memories, this could lead to some interesting role playing.
after cur finds him self again, have him make amends fro things he's done since the mind altering. this could lead to some more after role playing, cur might have offended a lot of people after the spell was used on him.

alter memorie is a nasty spell to use on a character and effects them for a long time, maybe the rest of their life.
I would keep the character but make sure he made admends for any injustice he did while under the spell. since he was a good character and had his mind played with.
the alter mind is a red wizard spell if i remember right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000