Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
Hello-

My game is on hiatus for the moment as I recover from the Holidays (I work retail) and people are busy with other commitments. :)

I have set my characters up as being from all over - but now adventuring in/around Hills Edge.

What I would like ot know is somewhat 'blanket'. Any interesting tidbits about Hills Edge that you could provide would be welcome. I have created a map myself - as there did not seem to be one published anywhere, and I like a lot of the lore that was introduced in Volo's Sword Coast - which is basically the Best source for Hills Edge that I could find.

I guess the question is somewhat open-ended. :)

Oh - and I guess - if you are taking suggestions on things - I would love to see more information in-print in some fashion. :)

(Did the Knights ever wander through Hills Edge - and would anyone remember their passing? :) )

Many thanks.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  12:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message
Wanted to ask Ed or anyone else who might have the answers to a couple of questions about Lone Rock in the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Did Ed put it there or was it added by someone else.

And, secondly, did Ed have anything specific in mind when/if he created it (i.e. what/who lives there, if anything? how big is it? is it habitable or is it just some huge craggy rock jutting up from the water? is it dangerous to approach by ship due to underwater rocks or freak storms/currents, etc?)

thanks,

Mythrainer
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  15:10:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Mythrainer, I can confirm that Ed put Lone Rock there, because it's on the original (photocopied) maps he gave me, that predate TSR publishing the Realms.
I've passed your request on to him, and . . . we'll all just have to wait for the lore.
He is busier than ever at the moment.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message
Another question for Ed or anyone else who might have the answer; but first a little (v. little) background:

Am running a campaign and the PC's are trying to impress a certain lord in a city on the east coast of the Dragon Reach (the Vast). Anyway as it happens they asked for the name and location of a famous artist of the Realms that they might commission for a portrait or work of art (painting) to gift to said lord to perhaps 'grease the wheels of politesse' as it were.

thus the question:

Are there any artists of worldwide/Realmswide fame that Ed has in mind? By this I mean: artists of the caliber of Michelangelo or Da Vinci (by caliber I mean artists of a certain amount of talent and renown so as to be sought after by kings/lords of nations of their time, as Michelangelo and Da Vinci were?)
Artists who command a high fee, and rightly so, as their works will most likely endure for centuries to come?

I am seeking for artists who are alive as opposed to dead (although i suppose undead will qualify, as long as they are able to produce new works, upon payment of a substantial fee, of course.

And, as an aside if its not too much trouble, have they produced anything as gifts or paid-projects to any other famous personages of the Realms (that we would know of or even if we wouldn't know of them)and are they flippant as most artists are construed to be or else 'down to earth' in nature?

Hmmm.... I could go on and on with this question but i'll stop now without inquiring as to their respective personal views concerning wars and politics and Machiavellian maneuvering....oh there i go again. my apologies.

-Mythrainer

p.s. many thanks to Lady The Hooded One to her swift reply to my previous post.

p.p.s. I would also like to say that Ed's most moving passages (to me) in his novels are the ones concerning the loss/sacrifice of dear friends. As someone who has some small knowledge of the loss and sacrifice of friends I would like to say: "For whatever its worth: Thank you, Ed."
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  21:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The Blue Dragons are members of Cormyr's Imperial Navy (a rather swollen name for such a small force)--Purple Dragons who staff the Forest Kingdom's ships of war and certain port/harbor locations. They are known as Blue Dragons both in recognition of their distinctive garb (the aforementioned blue sashes, bracers, and shoulder flash), and their specific role within the armed forces of Cormyr.

Ah, I see. Thanks Dargoth, Garen and Sage! Either my memory must be getting rusty, or perhaps I have simply missed all references to the Blue Dragons in those tomes! Must be my eyesight...

But Don't tell Alaundo - I still have a few good years left as a scribe! I don't want to be assigned to sweeping the cellars...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Hello again Ed!

My latest query comes as a result of browsing the forums related to the new Neverwinter Nights 2 CRPG. Basically, there is an argument going on that attracted my interest about whether or not Lord Nasher of Neverwinter (as depicted in the official campaign) is a bad person/ruler, and one subject that was brought up in that thread is the use of trial-by-combat as a last resort when the player character is accused in court of having burned a Luskan village and slaughtering it's inhabitants. Apparently, even if the player character successfully "wins" the trial, the prosecutor from Luskan will make a last ditch effort to appeal the case, and calls for Trial by Combat, which turns out to be mandatory. Also brought up was the subject of whether or not a good person in the Realms could believe that people are "guilty until proven innocent". This scenario, and the various arguments brought up by people in that thread, had me wondering about three things:

1) How prevalent (if at all) would trial by combat be in an official criminal court of a major city (like Neverwinter) presided over by the likes of Lord Nasher? I am wondering if the game gets its Realmslore right, here. Do many cities really have "obsure old laws" that allow someone to fight to prove someone's guilty or lack thereof?

2) There were arguments about the morality of trial by combat as is relevant to the social mores of a setting. I've known for a long time that social mores in the Realms are not identical to those of medieval Europe, but some put forth the argument that in such a setting trial by combat would be a common and/or legitimate way of determining if a person is guilty of commiting a crime. Is this the case? As I understand it, the whole idea is that the gods make sure the innocent person wins...but this seems strange to me, because as I understand it most cities in the Realms run by moral governments seem to have court systems much like our own which make use of actual evidence and facts to determine the outcome of a case, not fighting.

3) Is it really a common belief amongst moral people in the Realms--who are educated about the law, and very concerned about justice--that only a bad person would be accused of a crime and it's up to them to prove their innocence, and not vice versa (the modern notion that someone is innocent until proven guilty)? Again, some people were positing this idea, even though personally I find that very hard to believe, based on what I know of the Realms setting. For example, do followers of Tyr prefer to assume that a person is innocent until they are proven guilty, rather than risk doing harm to an innocent person "just in case" they really DID commit the crime? My gut feeling says yes, they would, but I'll defer to your thoughts on this.

I know this is a complex question and a bit of a tall order, but as someone who is both interested in the Realms and laws/justice in general (I work in the legal field), I am most interested in hearing your own thoughts and opinions.

Thank you,

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Dec 2006 00:41:28
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  14:49:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
GREAT question, Rinonalyrna! Off to Ed it goes, with all haste!
And I have received another Realmslore answer from Ed, this time to Malcolm’s question: “Are the people in Daerlun friendlier to Cormyr than their trade rivals in Selgaunt and other Sembian cities, or not?”
Ed replies:

Generalizations of course break down whenever one zeroes in on individuals, but with that in mind, YES, folk of Daerlun tend to feel closer to Cormyr (the fair and gallant green Forest Kingdom, where trade opportunities are greater) than the grasping, ambitious, my-coins-talk-so-bow-down folk in the other cities of Sembia (which tend to be wealthier than Daerlun and to get “the latest” luxury goods first, and sneer at daily staples offered by traders from Daerlun [and so pay “low coin” for them, e.g. “Mutton? I can get mutton anywhere, my man!”]).

So saith Ed. Short and sweet, indeed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi. Another Realmslore query for Ed (to get to whenever he can; no hurry at all on this one):
If I am a shopkeeper of middling wealth in Suzail, and I have to send a VERY precious but small and light item - - about the size and weight of my fist - - to a relative in Waterdeep, how would I do that? Who "in town" would I think of going to, to carry and deliver it, and what would I expect to pay? Oh, and how long would I expect it to take to get there?
Thanks!
Edit: Let us assume there is no Aurora's system or outlet, or my shopkeeper has an aversion to using magic to transport the item at all. Thanks again.

Edited by - Blueblade on 29 Dec 2006 23:45:14
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  17:07:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hello again Ed!

My latest query comes as a result of browsing the forums related to the new Neverwinter Nights 2 CRPG. Basically, there is an argument going on that attracted my interest about whether or not Lord Nasher of Neverwinter (as depicted in the official campaign) is a bad person/ruler, and one subject that was brought up in that thread is the use of trial-by-combat as a last resort when the player character is accused in court of having burned a Luskan village and slaughtering it's inhabitants. Apparently, even if the player character successfully "wins" the trial, the prosecutor from Luskan will make a last ditch effort to appeal the case, and calls for Trial by Combat, which turns out to be mandatory. Also brought up was the subject of whether or not a good person in the Realms could believe that people are "guilty until proven innocent". This scenario, and the various arguments brought up by people in that thread, had me wondering about three things:

1) How prevalent (if at all) would trial by combat be in an official criminal court of a major city (like Neverwinter) presided over by the likes of Lord Nasher? I am wondering if the game gets its Realmslore right, here. Do many cities really have "obsure old laws" that allow someone to fight to prove someone's guilty or lack thereof?

Thank you,

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I remembered something Ed said about trials by combat back in 2004 (I'm afraid my compilation doesn't always include the exact date) - and here it is:

quote:
[i]originally posted by The Hooded One

Trial by combat is rarely allowed in trade-reigns places, but may occur in rural rough justice or communities dominated by a faith that allows it (e.g. a hamlet around a temple), although in Sembia and other 'civilized' places, battle between hired champions (or even personal duelling) is often a public entertainment used in cases where no crime has been committed because there are no laws protecting personal reputations, but a noble feels slighted by another noble, or young woman of high birth who hasn't yet wed is accused of being less than virginal or of good character, and wants to refute the slur (most places in the Realms have nothing resembling our libel and slander laws).

Guess the question now is if Neverwinter qualifies as a faith-based community or a trade-reign place (my money is on the latter - but I've been wrong before, quite often actually).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:37:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes.
Ed just surprised me by sending a Realmslore reply to this question from createvmind, posted here back in June: “Greetings All, My question today has been on my mind for awhile and I've looked through my tomes, unless I've missed an ecology of Trolls in a past Dragon issue then ignore my post. I'm assuming that Faerun regeneration is now 3.5 and now limbs and parts wither and die if not reattached and not form whole new troll, might be confusing systems...sorry if so.
If a limb is removed from the body does the owner still have control of its movement regardless of distance to say " crawl to me." Kind of going by book depictions which has them crawling all over the place, after foe or back to main body. How long before this limb loses animation if left on its own?
Where is the energy coming from to regrow the bones/nerves, tissue, and organs, does this regenerative ability regrow a brain if removed say by Illithid brain suck? My mage is going with a natural minute siphoning of faerun magic theory of the troll and will test this theory by placing troll in dead magic area and seeing if it heals wounds. If it does then my mage is going to be consumed with how to create this in non-trolls and more importantly learn the significance of fire/ acid vul against standard troll. Where the first troll originated and its reproduction and can this regenerative ability to passed on to a creature -sadly, horribly- mated with a troll. Have you any opinion on the topic? Thanks and see you at Gen con hopefully.”
Ed replies:

I indeed (surprise!) have an opinion on the topic, but want to stress that what follows is exactly that: one DM’s opinion. You’re asking me a D&D rules question that an official Wizards designers’ reply would be far more definitive in answering. However, here I go. :}
If DMing in the Realms, I would argue the following: if a severed portion of a troll is within 60 feet of its “owning” body, the body can control it. In other words, the body can direct it to “come back” for reattachment, continue whatever it was doing before being severed (usually attacking a foe), or do something else, such as move to recover a less-mobile other severed body part; move to try to block a doorway, keyhole, or opening; move to recover a coin, gem, key, or other small item; or attack another foe/drag another creature or item. Exception: if the severed part is the troll’s head, it can control the torso/rest of the body. The controlling troll can “change its mind” (that is, tell a severed body part to stop doing one task and turn to another) as many times as it wants to, spending a round of the severed part’s time to do so, every time (but NOT spending an entire round of the controlling “sentient part” of the troll; in other words, a troll can send different mental commands to a dozen or more body parts as part of its normal functioning in a round [not impeding normal movement and activity, including combat], though the severed parts each take a round to “receive, digest, and start to act” on any new or changed commands).
Beyond 60 feet, this precise control is impossible; severed parts can do only two things: continue to fight a foe they are already engaged with [i.e. do not have to chase or find], or try to get back to their host body for reattachment. No changing of tasks; if they’re fighting and the foe departs or they slay it, they lie quiescent until the main body reaches them for reattachment.
If trying to rejoin their main body and foes appear, they will ignore foes (even foes that bash them) as they continue to doggedly move towards the main body. If that main body moves away from them, they will continue to doggedly follow.
If “left alone,” unable to rejoin the main body, such severed parts will slowly shrivel and lose mobility. They never “die” until their main host body does (crumbling swiftly to dust upon that death even if the main host body is continents or planes away), but they become like stone one lunar cycle (and yes, in the pre-TSR days, I established the lunar cycle of the Realms to be exactly 30 days, and still operate on that principle; so far as I know, although several designers have made errors, down the years, in alluding to the Realms being “the same as” the real-world lunar cycle, it has never officially been anything other than 30 days) after being severed. In other words, if the host body never comes within 60 feet of them again, they are completely harmless and inert. (If the host body DOES come back within 60 feet, they “awaken” and start moving towards it again, and the host body will “feel” the presence of such nearby former body parts and can choose to move and join with them, perhaps gaining extra limbs in the process [this is how many encountered trolls that have three or four arms or legs got them in the first place].
By “extra limbs” we of course have the situation where a troll that lost a limb and did not regain it at the time regrew the missing limb from its main body torso.
Which brings us to your question as to what powers the regeneration. My opinion is that all regeneration accomplished by means of a formal spell uses the Weave to harness the natural flows of energy (from wind and convection currents to lightning storm discharges and kinetic water flows) of Toril. All “spontaneous” or “natural-ability” or psionic regeneration uses other means than the Weave to call on those natural flows. In other words, the same FORCES as what intelligent beings call “magic,” but not the same formal systems of accessing them.
Fire and acid chemically change the regenerative living matter (in this case, troll flesh) so that it can no longer regenerate.
How specifically trolls can regenerate lost organs, et al: all cell types, and cells containing “master blueprint” DNA for all parts of a troll’s body, are scattered throughout the entire body of a troll, so it can lose its brain and grow a new one (any ‘nerve node’ can assume control as the main brain, if the functioning brain is lost; if some part of that brain remains in existence, within 60 feet, it retains control).
It follows that creatures that mate with creatures possessing “natural” regeneration, if the unions prove fertile at all, have a possibility (but by no means a certainty; in other words, the only way to find out is to try it) of producing crossbred offspring that have the regenerative trait.
Magic-dead areas should make magical (spell) regeneration impossible, and they may SLOW other sorts of regeneration (the key word here is “may,” in that we don’t know precisely how local inhibition of the Weave precisely affects energy flows that the Weave normally accesses - - and we also don’t know if the precise conditions are the same from magic-dead area to magic-dead area, or different every time, or different among a limited number of options).
So I’m afraid your mage is out of luck. He’s correct about the natural minute siphoning, but not about it necessarily being “magic.” Remember: magic is a name given to various systems intelligent beings have developed to harness natural energies; and specific discharges and effects ARE “magical effects,” but the natural energies themselves may not necessarily be “magic” (some spellcasters believe they are, but this is more a matter of semantics and philosophy than accurate labelling; some cultures don’t want to believe there’s any other way to achieve certain effects except through magic, and so on).

So saith Ed. Whew. Now THERE’S an opinion. Remember, Ed dislikes giving “hard game rules” answers not because he can’t (he’s more of a master designer than most of us), but because he doesn’t want to contradict “official” answers given later by Wizards staff designers who are privy to game rulings and not-yet-published design that Ed (as a non-staffer who’s never been on staff at TSR or WotC) doesn’t know the details of.
Please note, Beirnadri Magranth and MerrikCale, that in his reply Ed also touched on answering questions both of you posed about the lunar cycles of Faerûn. This doesn’t mean he won’t get around to proper answers for you both, of course.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 30 Dec 2006 00:01:31
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:44:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I think I had/have a lunar question still floating out there from.... 2004.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
GREAT question, Rinonalyrna! Off to Ed it goes, with all haste!

Thank you! Can't wait to hear the reply.

Kajehase: Yeah, I figure that "might makes right" might reign in places with less people, or where there is a culture (religious or otherwise) that believes in that, but you know how in a lot of stories involving the law, there is always some odd, obscure law in a dusty old book that's been forgotten about, and thus never repealed? And throws everything out of balance? That's part of where I was going with my question.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Dec 2006 23:54:25
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:04:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Kuje, I believe you do.
I'll root around in my files until I find it, and gently poke Ed, to see if he can answer all three at the same time (if they're sufficiently inter-related). He hates backlogs as much as I do. (And in that spirit, has promised another Realmslore reply in an hour or two.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:20:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

I'll root around in my files until I find it, and gently poke Ed, to see if he can answer all three at the same time (if they're sufficiently inter-related). He hates backlogs as much as I do. (And in that spirit, has promised another Realmslore reply in an hour or two.)
love,
THO

I dimly recall that I asked about the moon. So, I wasn't positive that I actually asked and if I recall right, it was for a game that has long since ended but I'd still love to have an answer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:39:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

love,
THO

I dimly recall that I asked about the moon. So, I wasn't positive that I actually asked and if I recall right, it was for a game that has long since ended but I'd still love to have an answer. :)

I think I had a planetary follow-up question, from something else Ed told me, floating around from the end of '04 or early '05. While it didn't specifically focus on the moon itself, the question pertained to ALL the planets of Realmspace in general.

I'll have to take a look through my own backlog.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Dec 2006 00:40:51
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:48:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed answers a recent pair of Blueblade “yes/no” questions: “Did Vangerdahast marry or at least have offspring before the events of ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER? Did any of his predecessors as Royal Magician/Court Wizard have offspring we don't know about yet, in published Realmslore?”
Ed replies:

Yes, and yes. Specifics? NDA.

So saith Ed. Well, two definite answers, folks, even if they’re frustratingly terse.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hmm. Yes/No Questions.. just so we can try to beat last years 84 pages of the scroll.

Does Alusair Obarskyr have a name for her own, personal sword?

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  04:20:11  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
My fellow scribes,

I throw this query out to whomever can answer it or point me in the right direction. As I've recently discovered this wonderful site, I've been voraciously devouring the 2004 and 2005 threads. Can someone tell me where I might find information about the obscure Chosen of Mystra that were mentioned other than the main players we
often disuses?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 30 Dec 2006 04:56:16
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:01:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
"Secrets of the Magister", "The Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook, and the last chapter of Ed's novel "The Temptation of Elminster" for some references to hitherto unmentioned Chosen.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:16:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And, as always... Cult of the Dragon is available as a free PDF at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:39:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Secrets of the Magister", "The Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook, and the last chapter of Ed's novel "The Temptation of Elminster" for some references to hitherto unmentioned Chosen.

-- George Krashos

And Lost Empires for Embrae. Cormanthyr and The Fall of Myth Drannor for Symmruster. The same elven books and Lost Empires for the Srinshee, plus Ed's Tears so White in the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 05:45:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:52:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

And Lost Empires for Embrae. Cormanthyr and The Fall of Myth Drannor for Symmruster. The same elven books and Lost Empires for the Srinshee, plus Ed's Tears so White in the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Essentially, they breakdown as follows:-

Alvaerele Tasundrym
Secrets of the Magister

Symrustar Auglamyr
Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves and Fall of Myth Drannor (available as free PDFs at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads)

The Srinshee
Elminster in Myth Drannor
Realms of the Elves in the "Tears so White" short story
Elminster in Hell (she has a slight appereance)
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Lost Empires of Faerun

Embrae of Ardeep
Lost Empires of Faerun

Nadrathen
The Temptation of Elminster

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:53:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and Steven Schend briefly discusses a few of them in his replies here at Candlekeep also.

Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  16:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Now Uzzy, that's hardly fair. If Ed or THO were trying to match last year's number of pages, they'd be handing us LONG replies, not yes/no answers that are "terse." We've been told repeatedly just how busy Ed is, and we can see the evidence for ourselves. I just hope he doesn't overwork himself to death for us.
So, of course, I'm adding to that overwork. Again.
Specifically, with another Realmslore question for Ed: Ed has told us that many wealthy and noble Waterdhavians "go south" for the winter, and I can guess that Amn and Tethyr are popular destinations for overwintering. Can Ed tell us anything more about where such folks go? Are there "newly fashionable" destinations, from time to time?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  16:14:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Hey, I just post 'em as Ed sends 'em.
Herewith, Ed’s response to Broken Helm, re. this: “Will Ed, by the end of Swords of Dragonfire, give us a clearer roster of the noble families of Cormyr?”
Ed replies:

A “roster” specifically, “clearer” or otherwise: no. A few names of individual nobles germane to the story: yes.
I don’t know when we’ll get the chance to “do the noble families properly,” I’m afraid; that Cormyr sourcebook idea seems to remain an elusive, ever-receding phantom. However, I (and scribes such as Garen Thal and Tom Costa) remain ever-hopeful. You’ll certainly learn a little more about a certain cabal of scheming nobles, but that’s about all I can promise, I’m afraid.

So saith Ed. Who has vividly brought to life scores of Cormyrean nobles in Realmsplay, over the years. We laughed our way through some incredible evenings of Ed portraying monacle-wearing, leering, braying old nobles at feasts as we Knights sought to learn this or that, or persuade, or impart manipulative gossip, from, to, or with them. He'd harrumph and tell old tales and have their monacles popping off into drinks and down the bosoms of females they were flirting with, and we'd be laughing too hard to catch all the lore hints and adventure hooks and leads he was feeding us . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  17:47:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's my yes/no question.

Back at the beginning of October Dargoth asked about Elaith and now that I read over the list that Dargoth provided, some of those activities don't strike me as illegal/criminal in Waterdeep.

So, my question is this: Is prostitution and gambling really illegal/criminal in Waterdeep?

Edit: Ah, forget that. I found the answer later in my file. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 18:03:27
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Greetings once more Ed and THO,

Any information you can share about what sports Realms folk might play? I can envision many such events dealing with martial skills, I am however wondering about other such sports and if they are played a la football, yard darts, cricket, etc.

A safe new year to all.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 30 Dec 2006 19:06:38
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:07:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Greetings once more Ed and THO,

Any information you can share about what sports Realms folk might play? I can envision many such events dealing with martial skills, I however am wondering about other such sports and if they are played a la football, yard darts, cricket, etc.

A safe new year to all.

Ed discussed this in March 29th, 2004. But maybe he'll give us some more. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 19:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

While he was polishing off Jamallo Kreen’s bombards questions, Ed shrugged, smiled, and penned a reply to his next question, that followed on its heels: “After decades of gaming with almost no one having a familiar, my current batch of players have ALL decided to have familiars. What, prithee, Master of the Green Wood, would be the Elven term for a normal (i.e., non-sidhe) riding dog which is a familiar for its rider? That, at least, is how the player would probably like the question phrased. Others might phrase it as, "What is the term for a big, stupid, vicious, paladin-biting, cannibalistic mongrel?"”
Ed replies:

The applicable elven words here are:
dog = taryaryah
large = raun
dangerous/vicious = gabreth, glaeth
(gabreth literally means “likely to turn on you, cruel in battle” whereas glaeth means “formidable in battle, well armed or having the capacity to do much damage”)
riding, hunting, trained = irbryn

However, as is often the case in matters linguistic, speakers found “raun-gabreth-ibryn-taryaryah” way too much of a mouthful to use as a term (an explanation, yes, but a term, no), and so coined a word for the hunting dogs they often encounter (such as the war dogs many humans use): the word “raegar.”
Note: this is never applied to wild dogs, just to trained dogs.
Pronounciations:
gabreth: “gah-BRETH”
glaeth: “GLAY-thh”
ibryn: “IB-rin”
raun: “RAW-nn”
raegar: “RAY-garr”
taryaryah: “tar-YAR-yah”

So saith Ed. Who’s not the linguist Tolkien was, but does his best (given the scant time he has to deal with all the Realmslore queries hurled at him, in the crazily crowded endless omnibus of a farrago he has of a “life”). Or as he once put it, “Why can’t * I * have the time to be an Oxford don, and go strolling out of an evening to drink and debate with friends? Nix on the smoking, but I’d stick an unlit pipe in my mouth all night if it was demanded of me!”
love to all,
THO

Much great thanks, Lord of the Green Wood and Your Ladyship!

I have reposted your reply for my players to read (thank you both and Saer Alaundo!); I am certain they will get a big kick out of it. Reading your answer, though, prompts (as usual), still other questions: Is there an Elven word for a (sorcerer's/wizard's) familiar, and if so, what, pray, is it? Apropos of Alaundo, what -- in the various languages of Faerun -- are the words for "Librarian," "Chief Librarian," (Deneirath) "Priest-Librarian," and related terms? If one is an adherant of Oghma or Deneir or Dugmarin Brightmantle, is there a special honorific one applies in conversation to the name of a Librarian (e.g., "O you of great lore preservation ...")?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  20:16:54  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
It's obvious that the realms word for Librarian is...

ED!

PS: Also known as an Ook!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000