Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  19:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

In the mean time of waiting for a reply to a previous question, I came up with another.
I was reading a thread here about Selune. One poster was trying to say Selune can't be chaotic becuase "what is more orderly than the moon". I was thinking about this and how the poster said the moon followed the same 28 cyclical period as ours. Is this true? and is the moon of Toril tidally-locked like our moon?

That would be me. And I am wondering the same thing myself? The moon is one of the most orderly things in the universe. It phase changes occur exactly every 28 days here. Presumably, it is similar on Abeir-Toril. On a related topic, (and more for general D&D), but why are werewovles Chaotic? Name a more orderly animal (insects excluded). They have a strict heirarchy.

Lunar cycles on Earth are not precisely 28 days; they are closer to 28 1/4 days long, and the sidereal year is (or was until the Christmas Quake a couple of years ago) about 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds long.

In response to a question of mine, it was previously pointed out that Farun's months and years are precisely the given length, and the calendar information in FRCS should be enough to allow anyone to calculate the phase of the moon on any given day in any given year.

Who knows? Maybe the continent-rending magics which created Evermeet and destroyed Jhaamdath were actually an Elven plot to synchronize the calendar without having to resort to the Gregorian rule that, "Only century years evenly divisible by 400 are Leap Years".... Killing millions of Not-People just to economize on calendar-printing seems a terribly Elvish thing to do!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  20:13:32  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Elminster is one of the very few Realms characters I can describe in just a couple of sentences and be fairly certain that all of my players are visualizing the same person, because he has been so widely ilustrated. Blackstaff and his Lady Mage, too, because (1) Blackstaff has been illustrated several times, not least in the Conspectus of the Realms, and (2) because his lady wife is ... er ... well ... "distinctive"-looking.

I'd also like a book with all new illustrations of the famous and exotic locales of the Realms. Sort of like the coffee-table photo albums. The lovely thing about FR is that the lands can be just as fascinating as the characters, and a product like that can really draw players into the reality of the setting.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  20:32:58  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO

First let me thank Ed and THO for their diligent efforts here keeping all of us Realmslore junkies sated.
My question is also an answer to THO's post on 9/1/2006 asking what area has been touched upon and then not really had coverage. Loudwater and the surrounding lower Delimbiyr regions around Loudwater would be the area I would love to see detailed somewhat. I know there have been some snippets of info from Volo, however I would love to see more.
Secondly I need to ask Ed for some details on how he would handle a moon elven mage who has had a close relationship with Khelben (he is now a moonstar agent in the Delimbiyr and has known Blackstaff for some twenty years in our home campaign) who has a rather spotty past who now wants to study elven high magic? What would be the steps a elf would take to start down this path? I add the relationship with Blackstaff due to his friendship with the elves and that the high elven mage thought first to come to Blackstaff after the thumping by the Pherrim in the Return of the Archwizards series.

Any insight Ed might be able to share here would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks again for all you do Ed and THO.

Happy Holidays

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 25 Dec 2006 01:21:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  23:14:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

was Corymer added to the forgotten Realms after it was atken over from you.

Would Corymer have any special drinks or food that would be a Corymerian specaility also. Thanks in advance.

Cormyr has always been in the Realms since Ed's used it in his home game long before he sold FR to TSR.

As for the second question, there is the Suzail Ale in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog sourcebook from 2e.

Volo's Guide to Cormyr also references a number of specific Cormyrean foods and beverages.

Several are also mentioned in Stormlight.

George also compiled a convenient listing of most ales, spirits, and wines mentioned in the Realmslore... several of which are from VGtC:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/ales.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Dec 2006 23:17:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  04:15:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Volo's Guide to Cormyr also references a number of specific Cormyrean foods and beverages.

And it's available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  04:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

In response to a question of mine, it was previously pointed out that Farun's months and years are precisely the given length, and the calendar information in FRCS should be enough to allow anyone to calculate the phase of the moon on any given day in any given year.

Why bother calculating? Just use the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  15:08:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hail, fellow scribes of the Realms! This time, Ed responds to Kentinal, re. this: “The number of followers of Eilistraee was rather stunning. You said "I’d say a little more than 22% or so of all drow in Faerûn worship Eilistraee" and "Drow who ONLY worship Eilistraee are almost entirely her clergy, and are probably between 10 and 12 percent of all drow."
There was some discussion about this in some other threads and some were wondering if the percentages perhaps over stated?
It would also be interesting to know percentages of worshipers of other races if you have an estimate. Something along the lines Eilistraee worshipers are <foo> percent Drow, <foo? percent half-elf, <foo> percent fair elf (perhaps seperated into the sub surface races), and so on.
The overall percentages of Drow would appear to make Eilistraee Drow a powerful force in that they would not war amongst themselves and do have at least some surface allies. Is it your vision that in time that Eilistraee will become the primary Drow religion any time in the future?”
That last question prompted Zanan to post: “What a shocking thought. And pretty unlikely, as I doubt that numbers alone make a deity, even though you may get this notion relying solely on the info in F&P. Yet, we'll wait and see. The drow scrolls from further above have yet to caught the archmage's attention.”
Ed replies:

Please, everyone: ALWAYS remember that except for fanatics, clergy, or the oppressed (such as, in this case, many drow in cities dominated by Lolth-worship), all intelligent beings in the Realms worship - - if only in appeasement - - many deities. In other words, that 22 percent (or so) includes drow who also worship other gods (as is obvious from the second percentage I gave).
Now, if some were wondering if I overstated the percentages: Nope. Don’t think that because Lolth-worshipping drow are the “sexiest” to readers, and therefore almost the only sort of drow that feature in WotC fiction and game lore, that they are “the only” drow. They ARE the most aggressive, and ambitious, and successful, yes, and that’s why I think it’s more likely that Lolth will end up as the ‘last drow deity standing,’ not Eilistraee. (In the Underdark, of course, Lolth-worshippers are by far the most numerous and dominant drow.)
The percentages of Eilistraee are high because there are so many surface-dwelling, Eilistraee-worshipping drow. And why not? They don’t suffer the heavy daily losses due to constant warfare, the perils of the Underdark, and so on that the Lolth-worshippers do. Just because published Realmslore neglects them (and don’t forget, gnomes are very numerous but also VERY neglected in Realmslore, as are pixies, sprites, etc. etc.), it doesn’t mean they aren’t numerous and flourishing. I always try to think of the Realms in terms of ecosystems, life cycles, and constantly shifting population strengths. To someone who just reads fiction and sourcebooks, it might seem that “all drow worship Lolth except a few fringe crazies,” but that’s far from the case. If Lolth ever issued strict orders that her followers must never kill any fellow Lolth-worshippers, the numbers of Lolth-worshippers would soar, because right now, they slaughter each other so enthusiastically that they must breed like bunnies to have anyone left alive at all in cities like Menzoberranzan except members of just one surviving house. Think about it.
Yes, surface-dwelling Eilistraee-worshipping drow face attacks from other woodland creatures, Lolth-worshippers, Vhaeraun-worshipping drow, and humans, just to top the list of their foes - - but as you say, they’re not busily daily wiping out each other! So they are numerous, and rapidly growing more so.
However, Kentinal, it’s wrong to think of them as a “powerful force.” Eilistraee-worshiping drow dwell in small, scattered woodland bands all over the temperate Realms and well down into “warm forest” regions, they almost never work together or even communicate with each other all that often, and they have no interest in dominating, growing militarily or politically, and so on. Wargamers tend to think of “like” populations as large, closely-allied or even single-minded conglomerates, but that’s rarely the case.
I’d say Eilistraee’s worshippers are around 88 percent drow, 8 percent half-elf, 3 percent other-than-drow elf, and 1 percent human and other - - but that’s a VERY rough estimate, with the half-elf, elf, and human worshippers all rising in numbers.
So let me state it again: no, the percentages I gave earlier are NOT overstated.
Try to bear in mind that Lolth-worshipping drow daily do either dangerous drudge-work (males) or scheme and train (females), or go on armed patrols in the Underdark - - and often engage in all-out war. Eilistraee-worshipping drow daily go hunting in the woods, patrol woodlands in a stealthy avoid-the-foe manner, gather nuts and berries and other wild edibles, and - - dance. Now I’ve heard of deaths from heart attacks and falls during dancing, but in general it’s gotta be safer than engaging in pitched battle with either monsters or with other drow who have poisons, hand crossbows, spells, and extensive fighting training!

So saith Ed. Demonstrating once again the “long view” of the Realms he takes so effortlessly. For what it’s worth, I agree with him.
And you don’t want to rile me . . . do you?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  22:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Many thanks for taking your time to post the above info on the drow on Christmas Eve!

Long-lasting and cheerful Midwinter Celebrations to all,

Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  22:49:01  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Another quickie question for Ed, this one a yes/no: Are there any legitimate Obarskyr royals alive and waiting in the wings that the realm in general (and we Realms fans, too :} ) don’t know about?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:02:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed promises another Realmslore reply on (yes) Christmas Day!
A little swift housekeeping, first.
To AlorinDawn: 'tis a pleasure to provide you with Realmslore. Ed will answer both of your questions properly, but I can tell you the reason the Loudwater area has been somewhat neglected in published Realmslore thus far was the "Legacy of the Green Regent" RPGA campaign (now ended), and Ed's reluctance to hamper or introduce inconsistencies with the designers thereof.
Zanan, you're quite welcome.
Rolindin, Ed will reply to you as soon as he can get around to it, but yes, Cormyr was his creation and long predates the published Realms. It's not quite as real-world feudal as you seem to be envisioning it (re. land ownership), but I'll let Ed reply to you properly.
And to A Publishing Lackey and all fans of Cormyr, Ed just telephoned me with a shocking (well, not to me, but probably to many of you ) reply:

Yes.

So saith Ed. Ho ho! THERE'S a Jolly Santa gift from Ed to those who want to scheme and speculate about cormyr's unfolding future! Wheeee! (Ain't we got fun!)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Dec 2006 23:03:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:10:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Ho ho! THERE'S a Jolly Santa gift from Ed to those who want to scheme and speculate about cormyr's unfolding future! Wheeee! (Ain't we got fun!)
love to all,
THO
What a delightful tickle of potential Realmslore!

Thank you my Lady.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:11:17  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Merry Christmas, Lady THO, Ed, and everyone here !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:21:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And a Merry Christmas from both Ed and myself back to all scribes for whom that brings joy!
Also, Happy Yule, Hanukkah, Festivus, Kwanzaa, Holidays, and I'm afraid I've forgotten the proper spellings of the Zoroastrian and Muslim holy days, but please believe that I wish everyone to enjoy them, too!
In short, be happy and take some time to relax and think of family, even if you're not with them. Ed always makes time to be "Santa" for someone; today he was out shopping for last-minute food items (the family had run out of cider for mulling), and happened upon a worn-out mother with kids in tow, who hadn't enough money to buy the last frozen turkey in the store (because it was HUGE). So he bought it for her - - and a roasting pan to cook it in, too! He's SUCH a nice guy!
However, he's got no snow up his way, this year, so no happy nude dancing in the snow at midnight THIS year. I doubt dancing in a muddy field will have the same cachet.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message
Hey there I would just like to know how you came up with such a detailed world? How long did it take you etc?

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:45:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
While it is likely Ed will have more to say on that Tom, both he and the Lady Hooded One have discussed Ed's creation of the Realms previously.

I would suggest you search through the compiled '04, '05, and especially the '06 replies for more.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2006 :  23:46:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

And a Merry Christmas from both Ed and myself back to all scribes for whom that brings joy!
Also, Happy Yule, Hanukkah, Festivus, Kwanzaa, Holidays, and I'm afraid I've forgotten the proper spellings of the Zoroastrian and Muslim holy days, but please believe that I wish everyone to enjoy them, too!
Thank you my Lady, and you as well Ed.

Happy holidays to the both of you as well.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  00:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Here's another yes/no query for Ed.
I know from Ed's GenCon Realmslore sessions (wee? some of us DO remember all that's said there) that Waterdhavian nobles and Cormyrean nobles sometimes give each other gifts (and yes, I KNOW it's not for any Realms version of Christmas). My question is: if a gift is wrong, insulting, or ludicrous, is it considered a deadly insult to later give it to someone else? Who in turn gifts it to someone else? Or is it treated as a joke? (E.g. "Oh, YOU got the wine goblet too small to be a thimble. I had it six years back. Bet you'll never spot the spell on it.").
So, for the majority of nobles who aren't humorless or looking for an excuse to feud, would such a gift be fun? Or insulting?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  00:06:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all, and Merry Christmas "on the day," this time!
Ed has just sent me a response to Thauramarth, re. this: “Dear Ed and THO, Is it possible to divulge any lore on Sarhthor, the Harper infiltrator in the Zhentarim, who sacrificed his life to allow Shandril to create a Crown of Fire? Amongst other things - did he start out as a Harper and infiltrate the Zhentarim or was he a Zhentarim "turned" by the Harpers? So long and thanks for all the Realms...”
Ed replies:

You’re very welcome! Enjoy the place, I’m constantly expanding it. :}
I’d love to really delve into Sarhthor’s story some day, but all I can say right now is that you’ll see more of him “at work” in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE, the second Knights of Myth Drannor novel (which should see print next August). As to whether he started out as a Harper or was “turned,” that’s specifically under NDA because of some not-yet-related earlier events. I hope to get the chance to tell his tale some day!

So saith Ed. I know a lot more than he’s saying here (from Realmsplay going back more than twenty years), but I’m certainly not going to spoil it for all scribes; it’s better if we learn things like these more dramatically, at the right moments.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  00:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Merry Christmas THO and Ed! Thanks for the wonderful, and continuing gift of Realmslore and the wonderful world! (And for the rather lovely delivery girl. )
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  02:20:35  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again! I was just recently reading through a copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and read about The Raging Lion. I have looked things over and tried to find how much rooms and meals cost, but it doesn't seem to be listed. Can you help me out? Also, is there a list for room prices anywhere for The Halfway Inn (Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast) near Evereska? Thank you, and a Merry Christmas to both yourself Lady, Mr. Greenwood, and everyone here on the boards as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 26 Dec 2006 07:23:33
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  03:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Same to you both, as well! I've reading and very much enjoying all these bits of Realmslore.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  10:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Hooded one what I would like to find out about Corymer: is does the feudial type system code have any influance at all on the Corymer system, and how is their socity influanced by it and maybe a small write up of a typical corymerian village or small city. This would be to help better understand what kind of system Corymer has. Does the feudial system have any: even if in a postive way to Corymer, not some of the negative ways that the system had; in our history.

Just what kind of system does Corymer have since I have looked in some of the books and older moduals, it has some information on the subject, just I would like more information is all.

Edited by - Rolindin on 25 Dec 2006 10:36:57
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  19:20:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Hi, Ed. I was wondering if you have ever played one of the Baldurs Gate computer games, and if so, whether you enjoyed them or not. Personally, I absolutely love all installments of the saga(especially Shadows of Amn) and I've played through them all at least half a dozen times.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  20:33:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Rolindin,
Ed has added your Cormyr lore request to his long, long list, but to provide a “quick and dirty” (ahem; a specialty of mine) reply to you:
The only similarities between real-world feudal systems (and there were many) and Cormyr’s social organization is that in Cormyr, gentry (large-holding landowners) and nobles (titled persons, from knights up to dukes, usually also large-holding landowners) do owe military service to the Crown: they must send themselves, hired or on-staff armsmen (men-at-arms), or their sons or daughters for regular weapons- and battle-training (the latter is what we might call “military exercises” in the modern real world) and service (guard duty, serving on garrisons at High Horn and elsewhere, going on road patrols, missing-person-searches, and brigand-scouring expeditions out of such bases, upon order) and so on. These armed persons must be paid by them, and equipped by them (weapons, armor, and mounts, though they can send the Crown money to allow the Crown to do so). The Crown provides room/shelter (including firewood and cooking gear), board (spending money, food, and drink), and medical aid (including magic, via serving priests and War Wizards).
In Cormyr, everyone can be a landowner (and pay taxes). There are social classes, but they aren’t “hard status” (individuals can readily move from one class to another). There isn’t a single faith with standing as a state religion (some of the recent royals wanted Chauntea to have that status, but it was not achieved), and most of the other parallels with real-world feudalism are shaky at best.
Ed is of course busy with family right now, but should weigh in with a Realmslore reply before the end of the day. It probably won’t be about Cormyr yet, however. Please be patient; Ed has about eighty questions waiting, still to answer - - but he loves answering Cormyr questions, and will probably get to it soon.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  20:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Merry Christmas!
Another yes/no lore question for the Creator:
In your personal opinion, Ed (if you were DMing), would the Silver Marches collapse into warring factions or just independent, defiant cities if Alustriel disappeared from the scene?
Or has it become strong and well-knit enough to survive without her? (Assuming some troubles erupted, such as orc attacks, strong drow or other monster raids, and so on, as opposed to "serene times for all.")
Thanks!
Ed
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  21:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Zanan, you're quite welcome.

Well ... one actually wonders whether a drow* would be welcomed at Candlekeep (in-setting) and how long she would be allowed to linger. Obviously she'd come for lore gathering business only!

Speaking of which, while time flies and Ed is swamped with scrolls, books, letters (and not just from Candlekeep scibes) and I look back at 7 more pages ... I'll take the above quote as an invitation** to repost this scroll:

Vendui Hooded One and all readers!

While researching on the history of my home down there beneath the West Galena Mountains, I once again stumbled over topics shrouded in mystery or tainted by hearsay. One such topic was the number of drow cities of the Deep Realms and the number of their inhabitants. Recent events (i.e. the coming of the 3rd edition of D&D) saw a rapid decline in population numbers of some of the more prominent places, e.g. Menzoberranzan's population was cut to a third of previous knowledge, while Sshamath lost just as much in drow inhabitants. People were now asking about the approximate number of drow throughout the Underdark of Faerûn, cities, settlements and free-roaming bands alike - and how that number would rank among the other elven subraces. A lot of calculation has started, taking the number of drow cities given in The Drow of the Underdark (some 30 names) into account and going by an average population of 20,000 drow each (i.e., the middle of a "small" city like Menzoberranzan (10,000), a large city like Llurth Dreier (60,000), and just below Eryndlyn ("thrice as many drow as Menzoberanzan")). That would leave us with city-dwelling drow ranging from 600,000 to 800,000 in numbers. Would this be a reasonable estimation? Some sources also had a fair number of drow living in the Forest of Mir, venerating Bhaelros (an alias of Talos) or, as others claim, Vhaeraun. Is Ed able to confirm these guesses or has his own opinion on these numbers?
One other point - while we are speaking on these drow cities. Ed mentioned quite a number, but only very few made it onto the maps of the Underdark. This leaves us with the obvious question about the actual size of these places, for if they were as important or large as e.g. Guallidurth or Llurth Dreier, one would expect that they had made it onto the maps. On the other hand, it could also indicate that they are simply more removed from the surface than the cities above, lie beneath less explored locations in the Night Below or something along these lines. Does Ed has some more knowledge - or information - on this topic?

Bhaelros ... can we assume that some drow in the Forest of Mir still venerate the Stormlord in Disguise?

Natalis Solis Invicti ... that's what the Romans celebrated today, a celebration of the Undefeated Sun God.

Aluve, Zanan!

(PS: Bhaelros makes his appearance in Empires of the Sands, while his (IMHO not required "substitute" Vhaeraun is related to in Tethyr - Lands of Intrigue)

*That would be a Kiaransaleen.

** Cheeky me, I know ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 25 Dec 2006 21:28:19
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  09:26:32  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
You’re very welcome! Enjoy the place, I’m constantly expanding it. :}
I’d love to really delve into Sarhthor’s story some day, but all I can say right now is that you’ll see more of him “at work” in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE, the second Knights of Myth Drannor novel (which should see print next August). As to whether he started out as a Harper or was “turned,” that’s specifically under NDA because of some not-yet-related earlier events. I hope to get the chance to tell his tale some day!

So saith Ed. I know a lot more than he’s saying here (from Realmsplay going back more than twenty years), but I’m certainly not going to spoil it for all scribes; it’s better if we learn things like these more dramatically, at the right moments.
love to all,
THO

Whoa... Thanks for the reply. And my "lesson learned today" is that even death cannot cure NDA...
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  10:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Iam courious now about what area's of faerun Mr Greenwood had made before it was taken over by TSR origanally.
Can some one tell me what area's Mr Greenwood made origanally?
I know about Corymer, what are the other area's.

Yes Mr Greemwood I love your articles on the realms in the dragon magazine, they are very insiteful on the realms.
If you could could you write more articles on the Harper hide outs and Harper in general. I would like to see more on the organazation , I have used what you have written on realm articles; they are very good to use in campians.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  11:02:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Rolindin, Ed has covered some of this previously in his past replies here at Candlekeep. See both the compiled files for his '04 and '05 replies.

Ed's '06 replies also have some of his thoughts on this.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  15:16:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed answers Longtime Lurker, re. this: “Another lore question for the Master. A long time ago, at a GenCon (Parkside, I think), Ed said there was a "big, crucial-to-Realmslore" story involving two of the Seven Sisters. Are we ever going to see this story? Or hints about it, at least? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

Hints, yes, definitely ( watch for them :} ). I’m still hoping I’ll get the chance to tell that tale properly, some day, but the time seems to be slipping away.
And yes, it was back at Parkside, with Jim Ward frowning in the audience because the way I phrased it made him fear it was some sort of lesbian tryst or affair between the two Sisters.

So saith Ed. Say, Ed, does that last line of yours mean it wasn’t? An affair, I mean? Because that would explain so much . . . (just kidding, folks; I’m trying to goad Ed into revealing more, I really don’t have any inside information on this)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000