Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  09:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. This time Ed tackles a question from October 1th, 2005, posed by Lord of Bones: “Hello there! I have a question regarding the Simbul and her animosity towards the Red Wizards.
We all know that the Simbul is something of a loose cannon, and a bit of a crazy lady, but do you think she would attack (with intent to kill) a wizard she knew to be Thayan upon sight, or would it be more likely that she'd send him or her back to Thay via a handy spell, or alternatively capture the wandering Red Wizard?
Obviously this is going on the basis that a Red Wizard would be strolling through Aglarond, but I don't think they're fools enough to wear the ceremonial robes and reveal their complex tattoos at all times.
In addition, are we to presume that there has been any sort of relationship between the Simbul and Lauzoril since the book 'The Simbul's Gift'? It would seem that his personality has changed somewhat from "I believe Thay is destined to rule Faerun, but not a Faerun drenched in blood" to "let's march our armies upon our enemies" (at least according to the new FRCS.) The relationship between the two archmages was interesting to say the least. It's a pity it's never really been picked up on in any other book than that novel.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
LoB”
Ed replies:

Sorry I’ve taken so long (and I’m even sorrier to the scribes who’ve been waiting since 2004!) to get to your post. As for a known Red Wizard strolling through Aglarond in disguise: unless the Simbul was already very angry (due to events befalling in, say, the previous twenty minutes or so, or a day or so after a death of someone she loved), she would very much want to know WHY the Thayan was in Aglarond, and what they were up to, before she cut loose and destroy them. So use of a magical disguise (remember, the Simbul spends more time flitting around the Realms as a bird or otherwise shapechanged into “nondescript fauna” form than she does in her own shape, something recent Realms chroniclers often seem to forget) to shadow the Thayan, and then a magical invasion of his mind when he’s asleep if he doesn’t do or say anything enlightening before taking slumber, may be what she does if she doesn’t have pressing emergencies elsewhere.
If she’s enraged or in a hurry, she just might cast a delayed-blast chain meteor swarm or similar “Simbul special” battle spell into the unfortunate Thayan’s innards, and use another spell to fling him back to Thay charged to cry out that he has to get an important warning to the nearest zulkir . . .
Yet she CAN love Red Wizards, as her relationship with Lauzoril proves. A relationship that continues, sporadically, though not as “close” in nature as it was in THE SIMBUL’S GIFT. I agree that it’s a pity we haven’t seen more coverage of them, after that lone novel (and a greater pity that Lynn Abbey, whom I consider a great writer and a good friend, hasn’t written a lot more Realms books!) Lauzoril’s character continues to change, but it’s important for everyone to distinguish between the “public act” every Red Wizard puts on, to further their own standing (and survival!) within the Brotherhood and in Thayan society, and what they truly (and very privately) feel. Even Szass Tam has his soft side, and they all have their own little secret plans, diversions, and activities, from growing flowers to innocently burping little lasses and singing songs to them. (Trust me about this; I created almost every one of them, old Szass included.)

So saith Ed. Yes, I recall a certain dalliance between several Knights of Myth Drannor and powerful Red Wizards, circa 1982 or so . . . Szass wasn’t part of it, but I have always strongly suspected he was manipulating several of the Red Wizards involved, and spying on them and us through the eyes and minds of his puppets . . .
[delicious shiver]
love to all,
THO

Thanks very much for the response. Despite the wait, it has been well worth it! Thank you for treating your fans with such kindness Mr Greenwood and Lady Hooded.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  01:00:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith makes reply to MaskedOne’s recent “semi-related questions,” to whit: “What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?
What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”
Dagnirion posted a suggestion, but Ed’s reply differs:

Ascension to godhood under those circumstances would have stolen power from all of the gods (to achieve the ascension and make Karsus a god, and to give him divine power), in a surge that Mystril was very much afraid (and probably rightly) that Karsus would have been unable to handle, mentally and physically, so he’d have promptly been ruined and the magic would have “surged” back and forth around Toril, doing great damage and spawning many wild magic “storms.”
She was also afraid that if Karsus succeeded in any way (survived, no matter how damaged), all of the other Netherese archwizards would have tried it too - - and collectively torn the fabric of the Prime Material asunder, destroying Realmspace and everything in it, or at least twisting it beyond all recognition and smashing all life cycles and ecosystems, dooming uncounted millions of living things to slow extinction. And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

So saith Ed. Who after all, knows more about all of this than anyone else.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  00:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
A question for Ed:
Are there still any BIG plot secrets of the Realms you haven't revealed yet?
No need to even hint at what they are (if there are).
I'm just curious if, after all these years of TSR/WotC products, all of your main ideas and planned events have seen print yet.
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  01:00:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time Ed tackles RevJest’s recent followup query to Ed’s Eilistraee lore-replies: “I am aware that the Realms are polytheistic. I just don't know what other gods a drow elf who worships Eilistraee would pray to? While I can understand humans trying to appease evil nature deities such as Umberlee and Talos, I don't understand why a drow who worships Eilistraee would pray to any other drow god given their dispositions. I can understand a drow elven wizard praying to Mystra, or even Azuth. Assuming they were familiar enough with their faiths. But who else? Would goodly drow worship the Seldarine? Would the members of the Seldarine ever respond to a drow?
That's where I'm confused. The polytheism in general in the Realms isn't confusing to me. It's the idea of polytheism in this unique circumstance. ie. What other gods can/do good drow elves turn to?”
Sian weighed in with: “hmm ... as far i'm aware then, if the drow proves themself the seldarine would respond”
and Faraer added: “RevJest, Checking Demihuman Deities, we see that most of the drow pantheon are Eilistraee's foes, so they aren't likely candidates for worship. Her listed allies are: Callarduaran Smoothhands, Haela Brightaxe, Lurue, Mystra, the Seldarine, Selûne. Elven and Faerûn gods that they come across on the surface. But I imagine, given her mythology of rescue, Eilistraee is a larger presence than usual in her worshippers' religious consciousness.”
Ed replies:

RevJest, Sian’s right, and Faraer nailed it. Eilistraee does loom foremost in the minds of most of her faithful (and of the drow gods, sometimes they “appease worship” Vhaeraun if they dwell in settled areas and are trying to find a secluded moonlit place [rooftop, interior courtyard, walled garden] to worship Eilistraee). In general, the most popular other deities for Eilistraee’s faithful to worship (listed in order of diminishing ppopularity, most to least) are Selûne, Lurue, Mystra, Milil, the Seldarine, Lliira, Eldath, and even Sharess. Followed by Callarduaran Smoothhands, Haela Brightaxe, and other human deities as individual preferences and situations suggest.

So saith Ed. Who’s done his share of naked dancing in the moonlight, down the years (though when I teased him about it, he said, “These days, if we danced together under the moon, it’d be more like you dancing around this shuffling, hairy, moonlit blimp”). Ahem.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  02:51:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
Gosh, I hope he's not doing naked dancing this time of year. It's pretty chilly in Ontario.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  03:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Gosh, I hope he's not doing naked dancing this time of year. It's pretty chilly in Ontario.

Sounds like weve just found out where the Auril's Blesstide celebration came from

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  04:51:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I've been pondering over the connections between Earth and Realmspace and was wondering some things. I know that some of the Chosen, and THO mentioned that the Knights, have visited Earth before, so I was curious about some things.

What was it like for them to first see our world? I mean, FR is a lot different then modern earth, so it must have felt a bit jarring for them to experience modern Earth. Yeah, FR has some tech but nothing really like cars, air planes, etc. Electricity and the appliances that we use with it, etc, would seem strange to someone not used to them. Even most of our religion is different. I'm even wondering what those NPC's, if they learned about Earth religions, thought about the handful of deities that are worshiped on Earth from the pagan pantheons and in Realmspace. What other places, besides the places that are detailed in the Realmspace sourcebook in El's Holdout and the Wizard Three articles, have any of the NPC's been to when on Earth? And does some form of magic in D&D Earth exist? I dimly recall El saying so in one of the Wizard's Three articles, but I might be mistaken.

Wow, I guess this might be a hornets nest question, but I hope you understand the general idea of what I'm asking. :) In the next coming weeks or so, I've got some Realmspace questions about the planets other then Toril. Just a warning. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Nov 2006 04:56:03
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
Greetings sages.
I know this probably isn't the right place to ask but what is the castlemourn setting ? I just have to know ...

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  15:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Castlemourn is a new setting created by Ed.

Specifically...
quote:
Its people are unaware of their origins, the greatness of their history, or what disaster brought about the dark age that engulfed the land. Some three hundred years before the present, there existed a magical place of shining towers and marvelous wonders called the Realm of Castles. Legends tell of a great war against fell creatures that destroyed the realm, leaving scorched ruins and crumbling citadels. Whatever befell the realm was so terrible that the gods have isolated it from other lands.

No one is permitted to leave Castlemourn, and those who enter do so at their own peril, as adventurers, treasure hunters, and questors scour the land searching for relics, artifacts, and clues to the past.

Castlemourn is a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting where kingdoms fight for power through political intrigue and outright warfare; where the brave seek their fortunes in dangerous ruins, and where everyone fears the unspeakable evil that shadows the land.
You can download a free PDF of the Player's Guide to Castlemourn here:- http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12630

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Nov 2006 15:57:17
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  18:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
Thank you kindly. It's just a friend of mine just said he bought the campaign book today .

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  01:53:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hail once again, fellow scribes of the Realms. Ed this time tackles RodOdom’s recent questions: “Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I must apologize for not thanking you both for the last few answers. I never take for granted what a privilege it is to be able to ask the creator of the Realms any question at all, and receive such generous, informative replies!
Have the sages and bards of the Realms heard of any romantic relationships between the civilized races and full-blooded orc or goblinkind? Of the perhaps thousands of such individuals out there, could a few of them come from, er, voluntary unions?”
I replied in the simple, unvarnished affirmative, and promised a more extensive reply from Ed. And here it is:

RodOdom, I echo dearest THO: you’re very welcome. I owe the life of the Realms (and certainly its continued existence as a published setting) to the love and attention of its fans, and intend to continue spinning lore for all of you as long as you want it. Now, I do have to eat, and the workload of paying writing jobs often forces me into short- (or even longer-) term hiatuses from lore-replying, but rest assured I’m not going to abandon the helm for good. Until death or mental incapacity stills my hands at the keyboard forever, that is.
And let me echo THO again when I say: yes, indeed, there are many romances between goblinkin and other races, and, ahem, “voluntary unions” (I wish you’d provided that handy term when I was a randy high school-aged lad) aplenty, too.
That’s not to say that “everybody’s doing it,” it’s just that orcs will mate with anyone and anything, and there are thousands upon thousands of orcs (they DO breed like the proverbial rabbits), so it doesn’t take many “unusual” unions to add up to many, many cross-species relationships and births (hence all the half-orcs). In some cases, willing human females “pass off” half-orc offspring as the result of being forced by orc raiders, but in many backlands where orcs are NOT a strong raiding threat, but merely scattered local dwellers, local tolerance of them is high unless they indulge in eating humans or demi-humans (and favored mounts, pets, et al). Orcs are strong and instinctively tribal; male orcs fight other males (of all races) to establish a pecking order, but hunger for someone to tell them what to do AND a family grouping to “belong to.” More than a few widowed women living through hard winters with their adult-age daughters have “taken up with” an orc male who hunts for, gathers firewood for, and defends all of the females - - and makes love to them all, too. [And before I hear those outraged moral cries, please remember that this is a fantasy world we’re talking about here, of my creation, and with quite different morals than “modern real-world Western” societies.]
There have also been instances of lone orcs encountering lone human or half-elven females (or males) and falling in love with them. Usually these relationships end badly, but some result in stable partnerships that last for decades. Most orcs tend to be dominant lovers, but some partners enjoy a submissive sexual role, while at the same time enjoying a dominant “you may bluster and do as you please in the small everyday things, but * I * have the real vetoes and underlying ‘first and last say’ in important matters” role in the relationship. And finally, there are masochistic and submissive orcs who can enjoy relationships with non-orcs without the merciless baiting and bullying their fellow orcs would give them (some orc warrens are like some real-world penitentiaries, wherein dominant males or females sexually enslaving weaker members of their own gender), and even a few orcs who hunger for the gentleness and sophistication of “civilized” races, and who sneak up on dancers venerating Eilistraee or elves dancing in forest glades just to watch, and weep at the beauty they cannot join. A VERY rare few have managed to join it.
I’ll give just two examples of such unions, one tragic and one not.
Amaundra Faeroethyr, a CG female moon elf Rgr7 of the High Forest, orphaned in childhood, was sorely wounded in a battle with orcs. A lone, outcast orc of a rival tribe found her, nursed her back to health, and they fell deeply in love and became companions, Amaundra eventually dying (willingly) of the revages of childbirth (they both knew birthing half-orc after half-orc child was harming her internally, but she refused to stop making love with her beloved Urthorkh, and neither of them dared to try to seek out anyone with magic - - who might well try to slay them out of disgust - - to try to “put things to rights” in her innards.
Dathanae Oumrau, a CG female human Wiz16 of Everlund (formerly of Neverwinter) was an adventuring wizardess who mastered shapechanging spells, and used them both to experience things she couldn’t as a human, and ultimately to escape being killed when her adventuring band got slaughtered in a winter battle with orcs (she took orc shape to “hide”). The orcs captured her, assumed she was an orc of another tribe, “enjoyed” her - - and one of them, Aeriskul by name, took a shine to her, took her as “his,” and defended her against the others. Eventually Aeriskul (who hungered to learn more of “civilized” life and ways, seeing nothing he liked in raiding every winter out of cold caves when he could live peacefully [he hoped] down in the farms year-round) parted ways with the others, but kept the shapechanged Dathanae - - and deliberately changed his behaviour from “you are mine” to wooing her. Whereupon Dathanae revealed her true nature to him. Aeriskul was scared of her at first, and tried to flee and hide, but Dathanae followed him, and a tentative courtship began that ended with the two of them happily in love, and using the shapechanging to both enhance their lovemaking and to enable them to accomplish many things (from reaching down high-in-trees fruit to changing shape so as to pass among humans without trouble) as they try to make a life together. Dathanae and Aeriskul are still together, after some twelve winters, and are very happy (they do not have any children, but Aeriskul doesn’t particularly want any, and so has never even asked Dathanae if she might be barren, or if she’s using magic to prevent conception).
None of this makes orc/other species relationships tolerated everywhere, let alone welcomed. Most elves (who dwell only with other elves, not in cities with humans) react with revulsion and hostility to an orc trying to woo them, or an elf/orc couple. Most dwarves find it hard to overcome their instinctive suspicions of orcs. And so on.
Yet as I said earlier, such voluntary unions can be rare indeed, and still add up to an impressive total when one counts them, across the Realms.
Traveling traders are tolerant by nature (or they don’t last long), and most other commoners only know local conditions: EVERYTHING may seem strange to them if they travel too far afield. So if an orc/human or orc/half-elf couple dwelling together in a cottage seems locally accepted, then . . . they’d guess it was all right. In this locale. They’d keep their mouths shut, in public at least (and might avoid the couple), but they wouldn’t run around crying, “That’s NOT right! Aren’t you going to DO something about those filthy crossbreeders, before I do?” (There’s no one-deity underlying moral system to back up that sort of reaction, for one thing, and all folk in the Realms grow up knowing about, and in many cases working and living close to, or actually with, individuals of other races. There is racism, but it’s based on specific grievances, sometimes “family-history” slights or complaints, not on fear born of ignorance.)

So saith Ed. In a VERY interesting and extensive answer. That for obvious reasons, would probably never appear in an official WotC Realms publication. As always: ask for Realmslore, and ye shall receive.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  01:59:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Besshalar, I'm AMAZED if the campaign book (the big fat hardcover setting book, not the Players Guide slim softbound) is out already, because I have a fair idea of when the "final final final" text was done. That would be one lightning-fast printer's turnaround.
Picture Castlemourn as a section of mountain-ringed seacoast crowded with more than a dozen lands (all sorts of governments and racial makeups), facing an arc of ore-rich islands enclosing a bay. It's three centuries after a hellish magical war that brought down civilization, so magic is still feared and mistrusted (except that every ruler wants to have some, up his/her/its sleeve). There are monster-roamed, "haunted" ruins everywhere, and questors who seek the lore of the past. Enter your PC adventurers . . .
For those used to Ed's detailed histories and colorful NPCs: check. For the feeling of realism and lots of play opportunities: check.
I can't wait!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  02:18:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

For those used to Ed's detailed histories and colorful NPCs: check.
Not that I needed much more convincing about how much I'm going to love Castlemourn, but I certainly didn't mind hearing this!

Thanks THO.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  07:15:25  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Wow. My brother who came up with the question in a conversation about the Realms will surely be astonished by Ed's reply. Actually, it's an article, isn't it? Thank you! And ... wow.

Edited by - RodOdom on 14 Nov 2006 07:17:41
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  15:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
quote:

Besshalar, I'm AMAZED if the campaign book (the big fat hardcover setting book, not the Players Guide slim softbound) is out already, because I have a fair idea of when the "final final final" text was done. That would be one lightning-fast printer's turnaround.
Picture Castlemourn as a section of mountain-ringed seacoast crowded with more than a dozen lands (all sorts of governments and racial makeups), facing an arc of ore-rich islands enclosing a bay. It's three centuries after a hellish magical war that brought down civilization, so magic is still feared and mistrusted (except that every ruler wants to have some, up his/her/its sleeve). There are monster-roamed, "haunted" ruins everywhere, and questors who seek the lore of the past. Enter your PC adventurers . . .
For those used to Ed's detailed histories and colorful NPCs: check. For the feeling of realism and lots of play opportunities: check.
I can't wait!
love to all,
THO

Okay it must have been the softcover thing then I might have misunderstood. But it does seem like an interesting setting and it doesn't look like it will be too expensive either . ( But then what is when it comes to hobbies? )

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  15:31:18  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith makes reply to MaskedOne’s recent “semi-related questions,” to whit: “What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?
What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”

Ascension to godhood under those circumstances would have stolen power from all of the gods (to achieve the ascension and make Karsus a god, and to give him divine power), in a surge that Mystril was very much afraid (and probably rightly) that Karsus would have been unable to handle, mentally and physically, so he’d have promptly been ruined and the magic would have “surged” back and forth around Toril, doing great damage and spawning many wild magic “storms.”
She was also afraid that if Karsus succeeded in any way (survived, no matter how damaged), all of the other Netherese archwizards would have tried it too - - and collectively torn the fabric of the Prime Material asunder, destroying Realmspace and everything in it, or at least twisting it beyond all recognition and smashing all life cycles and ecosystems, dooming uncounted millions of living things to slow extinction. And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

So saith Ed. Who after all, knows more about all of this than anyone else.
love to all,
THO

Thanks, its good to have a clear idea why she'd pull what she expected to be a permanent suicide as a response to that spell. Guesswork was beginning to get a little interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  04:44:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

-I'm just very pro-Karsus, that's all.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  05:37:41  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Amazon has the hardcover up for pre-order. It doesn't list a release date. However, under the publisher information :

"Publisher: Margaret Weis Productions (November 2006)"
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  14:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
Dear Ed ,

I was wondering about the availability of printing presses and exactly how advanced they are in the realms ? Also any price guidelines would be nice. I am thinking of starting a realmsian "proper" newspaper. Something to deliver to the breakfast tables of the public.

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Greetings to Ed and THO from the soggy PNW.

Another food related question from me. How common are pasta/pasta-like dishes in the Realms? I haven't come across any references to it in my researches, so thought I would ask here. If there are, how are they served? With sauces, in soups, casseroles, etc.? Any lore that you wish to impart on this subject would be wonderful!

Thanks,
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:30:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Dear Ed ,

I was wondering about the availability of printing presses and exactly how advanced they are in the realms ? Also any price guidelines would be nice. I am thinking of starting a realmsian "proper" newspaper. Something to deliver to the breakfast tables of the public.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

Specifically the Broadcryers of Waterdeep articles and the Small Presses articles.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message
Thanks Kuje . Should have known that a man with over 50,000 books would have tackled this issue already

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:19:12  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I Was wondering how with all the trade and magic freeways and such what creatures have gone extinct winthin the past hundred years in Faerun. I assume that various lifeforms are displaced or discarded about the land/underdark and surely must have an impact by displacing other lifeforms. Is it the duty of Druids and Rangers to keep such things in check?

For instance the Ka'ursa (bestairy of the Realms, Volume 2, pg100) litter is taken to be sold and domesticated, plan goes kaput and the young Ka'ursa are released into nearby plains, or worse a little traveled area. These predators would wreak havoc or would they be absorbed into that ecosystem as the prey and lower predators learned to adjust and avoid them. Basically has what occured in America with these land-hopping killer fish occured in Faerun say within past hundred years?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  21:17:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed answers GoCeraf, re. this: “Hello Mr. Greenwood. I've been toying around with writing as of late, and I've been wondering what sort of process one has to go through to have FR related novels published. Although I don't consider myself to be anything of an expert in this area, I think it would be very fulfilling to have work done in such a well-traveled area of literature. Thanks, GoCeraf”
Ed replies:

Wooly Rupert put it very well. I’m afraid Wizards doesn’t accept unsolicited Realms novels. I echo what Wooly said: write fantasy short stories for DRAGON, REALMS OF FANTASY, and BLACK GATE, contact Phil Athans (of the Wizards Book Department; see the WotC website) and tell him you’re interested in writing Realms short stories for the next Realms anthology that comes along, have prose samples e-ready to send him (IF he asks for them; don’t start hurling files at him without his invitation), and keep on reminding him of your interest, every 6 or 8 months or so. In a polite, friendly, non-pushy way. Prepare a short list of plot concepts you think would make good Realms novels AND fit the direction of the current novels series; each concept should be a maximum of three sentences long, and don’t build any of them around well-established Realms characters being the lead characters.
Here’s an example that you should NOT use, just to show you how brief I mean: “One-shot novel: Sembia invades Cormyr with mercenaries, Sembian envoys deny it’s anything to do with Sembia as a country waging war on anyone and say they’re as surprised by the attacks as anyone else, and as skirmishes in the Hullack and Thunder Peaks drag on, the book centers on a trio of new-character Highknights, sent undercover into Sembia to find out who hired the mercenaries, why, and how they can be persuaded to stop.”
Please remember, that’s very much Step Four. Step One is write some fantasy short stories, Step Two is get them published, and Step Three is contact the Books Department, wave your published fantasy fiction as samples of your writing, and express your interest in writing in the Realms. Good luck. I always want to see new faces at the ongoing revelry that is Realmslore talespinning.

So saith Ed. Go for it, GoCeraf and all interested Realms scribes - - and DON’T be discouraged. Ed’s been chatting privately with at two fans I know of for years, encouraging them to try to get their Realms tales into print.
P.S. Good questions, scribes! Keep them coming!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  23:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Another question for Ed's ever-expanding sack of Questions About Realmslore Candlekeep Scribes Just Gotta Know:

Can you give us any hint of the current doings and whereabouts of Narm (from SHANDRIL'S SAGA) and of Narnra (ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER)? Or are these NDA?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:12:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds swiftly to The Sage: “Now, recalling what few tidbits we've been told about "specific" chapbooks previously in the Realmslore, and through some of your earlier replies here at Candlekeep -- like the chapbooks dealing with social and court life in Suzail... I was wondering whether you could provide me with a brief synopsis of two-or-three other "city-specific" chapbooks that may be in circulation in two-or-three other well-populated cities throughout the Realms. In other words... chapbooks other than those that have already been mentioned both here and in existing Realmslore.”
Ed replies:

With pleasure! I can’t remember which of the many “city newspaper” -equivalent chapbooks (as opposed to broadsheets) I’ve mentioned in print, so I may occasionally duplicate something you’ve read elsewhere.
NEVERWINTER NIGHTS is a perfect example of the sort of chapbook I was specifically describing: something published regularly covering local culture and high society. NIGHTS is published every six days to a tenday (with rare “special issues” to cover really exciting news or sudden events), and is a short magazine full of gossip, reviews of local musical, theatrical, and oratical performances, and news of forthcoming events (such as tours by visiting musicians, eateries about to open, books soon to be published) and events of cultural interest (e.g. a ruler bans something, artists feud or marry or announce a collaboration, or something interesting happens to an artist [from a murder or pregnancy to a drinking bout or the utterance of a bon mot]). Some such chapbooks last for decades, but many rise and fall abruptly with changing public mood or moves to silence them by harrassing the writers or threatening the printers.

Here are a few such publications, by city:

ALAGHÔN: Hambra’s Horncall (a dignified, neutral publication that is less a critical review and more of a series of what we would call press releases and culturally-relevant public service announcements; [correctly] suspected locally of being used by several shady groups to send out coded messages to their members through mock announcements)
ATHKATLA: Gaela’s Glittersar
BERDUSK: The Twilight Tome (long-established; famous for sly satiric poetry, often features lyrics and short fiction)
ELTUREL: Stars Seen, Tales Told (usually short, with more glowing praise than hard news or nastiness, but prints letters from locals that occasionally erupt into nasty in-print fights)
EVERLUND: Hawkblade’s Evenhorn (lighthearted, no-holds-barred, and witty commentary on local events and luminaries, with occasional reviews of what’s new or current gossip in nearby Silverymoon; Hawkblade is a onetime lover of Alustriel who pines for her, but prints everything he gets concerning her beauty, what she wore or said at every occasion, and even detailed accounts of her current lovemaking [some of which MUST be fictional, and are probably his own wishful-writing])
HILLSFAR: Beldrouk’s Bright Banners (very new, but rapidly gaining a strong local following because of its frank commentary - - which has made its anonymous authors folk hunted by the authorities; no one quite knows who prints it, but bundles of it get substituted for legitimate supplies bought at the docks, so merchants pay for it in bulk and then usually sell it to brothel- and tavern-keepers, to resell to clients)
IRIAEBOR: Malanxer’s Tongue (known locally as “the Black Tongue” or just “the Black,” as in: “He’s in the Black, this time around;” known for rants against local public figures, corrupt officials, and less than scrupulous merchants)
RIATAVIN: Dansarra’s Delights (Dansarra was a local dancer and prostitute who died, rose as undead without any intent or preparation of her own part, and went on dancing despite her body being less than appealing; though she long since fell to dust, the writers of this vicious chapbook adopt her voice and purport to be Dansarra as they gleefully skewer local eateries, plays, and public figures)
SCORNUBEL: Sarander’s Tellings (famous for gossip, and lovingly-detailed salacious accounts of dalliances and pratfalls of locally prominent folk, that often approach “you are there” porn)
SECOMBER: The Dancing Dwarf (whimsical, features witty gossip and biting satirical pieces, includes lots of mocking commentary on Waterdeep that goes farther than Waterdhavians would dare to, when ridiculing guildmasters and nobles - - and so is steadily gaining popularity in Waterdeep, where it’s bought and sold surreptitiously in Dock Ward festhalls and taverns)
WESTGATE: Ambritur’s Whip (anonymously-authored “hatchet job” reviews and gossip avidly read locally for the eloquently nasty writing more than as any sort of serious guide to anything)

So saith Ed, presenting another bright platter of Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:18:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
As you may have heard, Ed's off to Ann Arbor for U-Con, which sounds like it's shaping up to be a dynamite "small local" convention. As a result, he'll be falling e-silent until Tuesday, so I will also take a short vacation (no, I'm not going with Ed, or Stateside at all).
However, PLEASE keep posting questions, and I'll replay them to him the moment he's back.
Mindful of this imminent drearth of Realmslore, Ed surprised me by sending ANOTHER lore reply, hot on the heels of the one I just posted. So here, without further ado . . .

Ed says he was delighted to receive this recent post from Chosen of Moradin: “Hello Ed and dear THO, Three of my female players want to know a little more about dresses, clothes, and how much a rich adventurer will have to pay to stay attuned with the latest "noble fashion" in Waterdeep or Silverymoon. The PHB says that a royal vestment will cost 200 gp, but I think that some rich adventurers can spare something more to stay "at the best!" We already know that in Hethmeir´s Highboots, in Everlund, they can pay 1,000 gp on a pair of boots (Volo´s Guide to the North). To complement, we are talking about a New Olamm bard, a Shadow Thieves rogue, and an Everlundian sorceress, all in the Silver Marches.”
Ed now replies:

GREAT question! To begin, let me say that fashion in Silverymoon is far more a “do your own thing, care nothing for others” affair than in Waterdeep. Both cities see constant new styles and reintroduction of older styles, and have a tolerant, cosmopolitan, sophisticated local population that sees almost constant visiting outlanders except in the harshest winter months. Both places are wealthy. All of which means both have healthy, everchanging local “fashion scenes,” far more so than in most other places in the Realms (large trading centers will always be the most “fashion-lively,” but in some places, such as Athkatla, that’s tempered by a strong local preference for something; in the case of Athkatla, demonstrating one’s wealth is paramount).
In Silverymoon, newcomers wanting to be noticed in society and individuals desiring to raise their social profile and influence in politics are usually the most fashion-conscious.
In Waterdeep, many nobles use fashion to divide themselves from commoners (and younger or ‘black sheep’ nobles use fashion to rebel or make a statement), whereas the wealthiest wannabe-noble merchants try to dress like the nobles, and most guildmasters and wealthy DON’T-wannabe-noble merchants adopt expensive but clearly different fashions, to show they’re “as good as, or better than nobles, and certainly don’t want to be nobles or mistaken for nobles.”
Right. Stage set. Now, on to specifics for females. The impression one is trying to impart is of course paramount (REALLY rich, or beyond-caring-about-coin rich, or conservative, or I’m an adventurer above all this “society” nonsense, or I’m the special guest wanting to stand out or surpass everyone, or I belong here) is usually the dominant factor in deciding what to wear.
The cheapest way to dress is the conservative look: basic black gown with high collar and/or plunge front, matching sash and boots, and a few pieces of small, tasteful jewelry (moonstone or pearl earrings and perhaps a pendant and/or finger ring). Some adventurers have, or can borrow, or can buy secondhand, all of these very cheaply. (This is the Realms equivalent of the “little black dress.”) Truly wealthy nobles have their own seamstresses, and go to the best designers, to achieve the same look for as much as 4,000 gp (plus the cost of the jewels). Most women wealthy enough to “buy new, in a hurry” can put together the same look, jewelry included, for 150 gp (50 gp/boots, 80 or so for an off-the-peg gown and sash, and the rest for jewels), IF they’re a fairly standard size (if your hips are literally four feet across, NOTHING off the peg is ever going to fit you). Almost all “new” clothiers in either city are used to doing small on-the-spot alterations to make a sale.
Someone shopping a secondhand shop, who gets lucky on finding something unsoiled, untorn, and more or less their size, who can touch up scuffed boots and wash everything, could put together the same ensemble for about 65 gp (25 gp/boots, 20 or less for the gown, and 20 gp for earrings).
The conservative look is never “out of fashion” except among a wild revelry gathering of the rebellious young, and even there it can be “dressed down” by exchanging the black sash for a flame-orange one, pinning the gown (to the inside of the sash) half-open to expose skin or a racy chemise (lace-trimmed white silk for classy look, almost anything to present other images) and jewelry (such as nipple clamps with tassels, and a gem set in the navel).
MOST well-to-do shopkeeper’s wives in both cities have the following:
* The “black look” discussed above, plus a matching cape and cap (for funerals, solemn ceremonies, and “not sure what to wear but sure don’t want to offend” feasts and meetings with nobles or social superiors).
* At least three evening gowns (ankle length), of varying degrees of daring (plunge front and/or back, cutouts, or none) and various hues, usually at least one bright red. These are for guild dinners, meals and moots with social equals (and the more of these latter they attend, the more often they’ll buy new gowns to add into the mix, so those who see them often will know they’re wealthy enough to buy a gown whenever the mood strikes them). Endless accessories (hats, purses, belts, baldrics, garters, chemises, chathra [ = petticoats; the Realms term implies trimmed so as to be partially seen], furs [usually “wraps” that are draped artistically], underthings [see Page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep] and jewels) are mixed and swapped with these to create different looks.
* A wild costume, or two, for costume balls and really daring revelry (masks are ALWAYS a feature of these, but they range from piratical garb to strap-on gossamer silk “fairy wings” to strap-on furry or scaled serpentine tails, and so on; by daring revelry I mean feasts and other gatherings where sexual activity or at least physical flirtation is expected; Waterdhavian matrons of a certain age often refer to these as “one of my plough-me-please outfits”).
* At least one VERY expensive and dramatic gown by a famous local designer, that will pass for being “in fashion” with the latest tastes. These can be almost anything, will come with full matching accessories (e.g. face-veils and/or half-cloaks), and tend to get “put away” in a wardrobe for a decade until they’re in fashion again. “Dramatic” is the key word here: many of these gowns have shoulder fins, daring cutouts, and impractical trimmings.
The northernmost four wards of Waterdeep bristle with shops selling overpriced clothing and footwear; personally-designed gowns (involving a “name” designer and usually many “fittings” [fitting sessions where the wearer is measured, muslin mockups and later the gowns themselves are pinned on to them, cut, and re-pinned]) can easily cost 6,000 gp each for a really rich noble and 2,000 for someone wealthy (many designers set their prices according to a client’s ability to pay, but are utterly uninterested in taking on poor clients unless they fall in love with them or are discharging a debt). Most “good” shops sell and alter close copies of the less outrageous designer gowns, and “classic” garments, for 400 gp up to 1,200 gp. Off-the-peg garments at the “less glittering shops” can often serve very well, and can be had for 80 gp up to 600 gp at most, with the majority of gowns running around 100 gp.
One recurring “fashion fallback” is to wear a simple, cheap gown, and a very “showy” trimmed slip or chemise (made for someone larger) OVER it, with a sash or belt of contrasting hue to “bind the whole look together.” Such showy undergarments cost a maximum of about 80 gp (unless custom-made), and even the classiest sash or belt is seldom more than 40 gp.
A bard may well want clothing she can most elegantly perform in; a rogue (or for that matter, all three characters, depending on what adventures they intend to get up to) often wants a dark gown that can be shed swiftly and easily, and wadded up and stuffed somewhere without being lastingly wrinkled or harmed; and a sorceress may (or may not!) want an outfit that looks mystical and darkly impressive.
I hope this reply is of some help; even without mentioning scents and cosmetics, this is a vast topic that sourcebooks often neglect, and players can have hours of fun with.

So saith Ed, who once solemnly painted my nipples with cherry chocolate for a post-Realmsplay-session party. Two other someones got there faster to lick them clean, however.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:26:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Dear Ed ,

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

Specifically the Broadcryers of Waterdeep articles and the Small Presses articles.

Ed also (briefly) touches on printing presses in Lantan (and elsewhere in the Realms) in his '04 replies.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
You know Lady THO, I truly wonder sometimes if these are accurate events, or just wishes for a white bearded man ;)

Fantasy or Reality...

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  02:10:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds swiftly to The Sage:
Ed... That's awesome. Seriously.

As always, you and THO have my thanks.

quote:
So saith Ed, presenting another bright platter of Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Indeed.

I'm sure I'll be "sampling" from this particular selection for the next several months.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Nov 2006 02:11:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000