Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New covers: Final Gate, Blackstaff and Bloodwalk
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  14:33:02  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Randomhouse released the following images:

- "Final Gate": Third/Last of the Last Mythal trilogy
- "Blackstaff": First of the Wizards series
- "Bloodwalk": Second of the Wizards series

Thanks to Steffen, who found those pictures. And a to George, who beat me to "Blackstaff".

Forgotten Realms: The Library - News

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  18:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Ilsevele is on the cover, and she looks pretty nice. Too bad the picture of her is better than her actual characterization so far, and it's not quite as nice as the Sarya picture.

Bloodwalk's cover looks awesome, and even a bit sexy. Great frontal, in-your-face pose.

My comments on Blackstaff are in the other thread.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Nov 2005 18:19:44
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  19:11:27  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the picture on the Final Gate book - it looks almost to be done in a different vein, though - which is good. Maybe Ilsevele plays a much bigger role in this novel.

As for Blackstaff - I was unaware Khelben had long hair... I thought he kept it neatly trimmed. Ah well - the cover is cool, though!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

As for Blackstaff - I was unaware Khelben had long hair... I thought he kept it neatly trimmed.

C-Fb

Me too, actually.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  21:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Drool*
The Wizards covers are absolutely gorgeous, unlike some other series I could mention that just look like warped anime. Here's hoping (against all logic and reason) that there is an open call for the wizards. I'd enter just for a chance at a cover like that (well, amongst many other reasons like the honor).
Kudos to the as yet unknown artist!

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  22:19:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the covers for the Wizards are definately among the best since those for the Priests (which are the best since the Sembia-series, which are my favourites, period). I really like the almost romance-novel feel of Bloodwalk, and a guy shooting lightning from his hands (Blackstaff) is never wrong either, even if his hair is longer than normal and he don't look enough like Sean Connery.

As for Final Gate, well, it's an okay cover I guess - for one thing it's nice to see that Ilsevele hasn't been drawn as the typical elf-babe. Then again, long, flowing red hair...Whoa Molly!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6655 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  22:29:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by O Love

And a to George, who beat me to "Blackstaff".

I only beat you to it because a certain Mr Schend tipped me off. You know what they say, it's not what you know ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  01:22:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

As for Blackstaff - I was unaware Khelben had long hair... I thought he kept it neatly trimmed.

C-Fb

Me too, actually.

Of course, we are all familiar with another of the more recent (and by this I mean 5 years) images of the Blackstaff:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/KhelbenArunsun.jpg

Slightly umkempt I believe .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  07:14:33  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

*Drool*
The Wizards covers are absolutely gorgeous, unlike some other series I could mention that just look like warped anime. Here's hoping (against all logic and reason) that there is an open call for the wizards. I'd enter just for a chance at a cover like that (well, amongst many other reasons like the honor).
Kudos to the as yet unknown artist!

I agree, I'm very happy with the Bloodwalk cover. Blackstaff looks very cool as well. If anyone discovers who that artist is, I'd certainly like to thank him/her for a job well done. I'm anxious to see what the other two books in the series are and who's writing them also.

Those July release dates are a bit wonky. I was told I'd get bumped up a bit earlier, but haven't heard an official release date as of yet.
Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  15:03:09  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do like the fact that Khelben is obviously being a bad mambajamba on the cover - and who knows, he is a wizard, so if he wanted long hair, I doubt he would have to wait for it.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  22:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those look rather "classic Realms"-ish, which can be a good thing. Bloodwalk is my favorite of those three.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Of course, we are all familiar with another of the more recent (and by this I mean 5 years) images of the Blackstaff:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/KhelbenArunsun.jpg

Slightly umkempt I believe .

That image ended up in my Archmages test, and Steven said that was one of his least favorite -- Khelben looks emaciated in it. As he's described, he's a big guy -- could be a decent fighter if he wanted.

I'm personally a fan of the picture in the Epic Level Handbook: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery7/44268_CA1_KhelbenBlackstaff.jpg

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  22:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm personally a fan of the picture in the Epic Level Handbook: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery7/44268_CA1_KhelbenBlackstaff.jpg

Cheers

Really? Honestly, that's my least favorite picture of him. :/

I like the pic on the cover of Realms of Magic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000