Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone's Favorite Evil Organization
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
We all know there are evil organizations across Faerun, which begs the question, "Who do we love to hate the most?" I've listed the major players in the war on goodness, but there are certainly more than twelve, so someone's favorite may have been left out. For that I am truly sorry, but pick your second favorite . I've intentionally left out "Church of (enter evil god here)" since that would likely degenerate into an argument over whose favorite god is more powerful.

Choices:

Rundeen Consortium
Zhentarim
Twisted Rune
Cult of the Dragon
Night Masks
Iron Throne
Knights of the Shield
Kraken Society
Shadow Thieves
House Dlardrageth
Eldreth Veluuthra
Red Wizards

(Anonymous Vote)

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 17 Aug 2006 20:41:21

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  16:57:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You racist from the west <g>. Where's all the eastern power groups? Ahem, the red wizards of Thay? The cult of Tiamat? The Cult of Set? The shadowmasters of Telflamm? The shadow mages of chessenta? The nine golden swords? The demon cultists of Narfell? The Blightlords? The Durthans? The witches of Rashemen (still not convinced they're all good)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  17:37:17  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Red Wizards are definitely conspicuous by their absence, here.

I've got to say, I'm a sentimental old traditionalist. In my humble opinion, the Zhentarim are just so damn versatile - whether it's low level or high, no matter where you are in the Realms, whatever monkey business and dirty dealing you want done, you can always turn to those wacky, fun-loving Z-guys. I tend to use several different villains/organizations in any given campaign, but they're always in the mix, somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  18:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good old Zhents...

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  18:48:12  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for House Dlardrageth... I am unabashedly in love with Sarya.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  19:40:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, the Twisted Rune for me, nothing like a bunch of master-minding undead evil mages trying to run a whole region from behind the scenes.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents: they make sense to me, they seem realisic; they've gone through huge power struggles, 2 religious cullings, lost cities, gained cities, etc.
A close second is Dlardrageth. They look cool and - I got your back, Crennen - Sarya is HOT!!

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:25:10  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Nah, the Twisted Rune for me, nothing like a bunch of master-minding undead evil mages trying to run a whole region from behind the scenes.

"Trying"? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:35:46  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've chosen the Eldreth Veluuthra, as long as I find fascinating the idea of the racist faction of such a fancy race as the elves. A race that has always been represented as the perfection the human ones couldn't reach, endless life, perpetual youth such a perfect looking..., can fall too in the failures of them...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:39:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DestroyYouAlot

quote:

"Trying"? ;)

Well, they've not quite gotten Tethyr and Amn under their thumbs yet

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zhentarim! While I realize that they wouldn't be as powerful as they are if they were truly idiotic, I have to be honest. They've given me plenty of laughs over the years.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 24 Oct 2005 21:07:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  21:06:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the groups listed are after either money or power, be it political power or arcane might. That's kinda boring, for me. That's why I picked the Eldreth Veluuthra -- a bunch of xenophobic elves is more interesting than someone grubbing for money or magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  21:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally favor Thay. On one hand they are reprehensible and thoroughly corrupt on nearly all levels, but on the other hand they are an acknowledged sovereignty that you can't just write off as a splinter group or religious nuts.

I mean, c'mon, generation of wizards who don't have to worry about the constraints of law or conscience? Yup, evil at it's best. (worst?)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:43:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the Twisted Rune for me.

When it comes to matters of manipulation and the cunning use of magic... no other evil-aligned group has these aspects down to a fine art. And their interest in Calimshan is another reason for my choice, since it is a favorite region of the Realms for me.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Cult of the Dragon, I like how they run their organization and enjoyed watching those lunatics going round convincing wyrms to take up the mantle of undeath especially that Sammaster got some sort of charisma. Second it up will be the Eldreth Veluuthra, for they exhibit elven patriotism which is quite lacking in most elves.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:35:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents, they have a bit of everything.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Eldreth Veluuthra.

For some reason, I just inexplicably like the concept of a group of xenophobic, ultra-conservative elves.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You all realize, of course, the Twisted Rune will subliminally influence your votes to drive themselves back into the shadows, from whence they can manipulate all the above groups at their leisure.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

"Trying"? ;)

That's what they want you to think....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

[/quote]

I wonder if thats a confession?

George let the cat out of the bag saying that theres "Lands of Intrigue" update in the works

SO Steven been up to anything lately???

Wooly: Fetch the RACK!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 25 Oct 2005 03:28:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  04:23:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You all realize, of course, the Twisted Rune will subliminally influence your votes to drive themselves back into the shadows, from whence they can manipulate all the above groups at their leisure.....

You know, I had a funny feeling you were going to say something like that .

But they're not manipulating my choice. ::shakes head:: Nope. No way... they aren't .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  06:25:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

George let the cat out of the bag saying that theres "Lands of Intrigue" update in the works

[/quote]

I'll get the thumbscrews.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  06:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

quote:
quote:

*starts making Intimidate checks*
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  13:26:08  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

quote:
quote:

*starts making Intimidate checks*

"Packs up a box full of things that should not see daylight". Do you require my assistance?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  14:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sleyas, where is The Red Wizards of Thay?

Anyone ever think of the Flaming Hand as evil? My beliefs are they are D&D's Templars. Anyone else think so?

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  17:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Red Wizards are definitely conspicuous by their absence, here.

I tend to think of the Red Wizards on a grander scale, they rule an entire country, not just an organization, hence their absence. (I know, The Twisted Rune rules even more than that, but nobody knows it!) By popular demand, I have gone back and added them, since the general consensus seems to be that they should be on this list.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 25 Oct 2005 17:20:17
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Most of the groups listed are after either money or power, be it political power or arcane might. That's kinda boring, for me. That's why I picked the Eldreth Veluuthra -- a bunch of xenophobic elves is more interesting than someone grubbing for money or magic.

My personal favorite as well.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the zentharim. Their diversity is a great tool for me as a DM. But my heart beat for the Red Wizards, too

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  18:35:07  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for the Harpers due to their terrorist actions against the soveriegn nation of Thay, their thwarting of the Zhentariums efforts to quell anarchy, and not the least of which is their habit of killing whomever disagrees with their skewed worldview.. Included in this vote are the rogue nations of the Silver Marches, Cormyr, and Waterdeep that tacitly support this group of harp playing thugs and condone their heinous crimes..
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  19:14:21  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must agree with Shadovar. The Cult are a bunch of power/money/influence hungry morons willing to worship (or act like they do)mouldering, self-centered, undead Wyrms based on the fanatical writings and interpretations of a jealous, love-crazed mad man... Sounds a little too much like reality to me... Besides they always have cool, hidden lairs. I love how they are represented in Year of Rogue Dragons!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe so, but can they make us laugh?

No one beats dark-robed, evil, arrogant, and supposedly "intelligent" bad guys bumbling around.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000