Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for NPC Cleric suggestions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  17:40:28  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello-

I am in the planning stages of a new campaign, and am looking for some suggestions, with reasons.

I would like to have an NPC cleric with the group (as there are only 3 players ATM).

I have an elven Ranger
I have a human Warrior
I have a halfling Rogue

The Rogue player has stated intentions of taking some Sorcerer levels at some point. The Warrior player is a Calishite, and worships (as non-clerics worship) Tyr. The elven Ranger is planning on going the bow route as opposed to 2-weapon style.

What I am looking for is a suggestion of a deity for an NPC cleric so that the NPC would be helpful (they won't have much healing without the NPC) and useful. I dont want someone who the campaign would center around - as its just an NPC, however - a deity choice that offers possibilities for adventure would be fine.

I also would not like an evil deity, nor one that would be set up against any of the PCs for any raeson (someone who dislikes Tyr for example, would be out.)

I have gone through FR3E, as well as PGtFR - and have come up with some ideas - but am soliciting other thoughts - especially in the vein of why/why not certain choices would/would not be good.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  17:50:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tymora is one of the most popular deities among adventurers. I can readily see one of her clerics as an adventurer.

But clerics of most deities would come in handy -- it's just that in some campaigns, some may be handier than others (like, a cleric of Lathander if there's a lot of undead).

What do you intend to do with the cleric, other than use them as a healer?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  19:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Wooly mentioned, most adventurers worship Tymora so that can always work.

You can have a cleric of Tyr as a built in companion of the warrior.

If you are planning to have a lot of Undead in your campaign a cleric of Lathander would be perfect, and they are fairly common in most parts of the realms.

Another good one, and actually the one I recommend is Ilmater. Ilmater is part of the Triad, thus is allied with Tyr, no problems there. Ilmater has the Healing Domain, so he'll have access to the most possible amount of healing which your party needs. And lastly and possibly most important is Ilmater is a god who promotes helping people. Thus the cleric can help out the party and not be the type of crusader who steals the spotlight.
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  19:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought it would be fun to make a Cleric of Siamorphe NPC that was charged with the protection of one of the PCs becuase - of course - he is nobility.
Shaundakul is an option, depending on how much traveling the party is planning on doing.
Mystra is an option, but one I would'nt use if your rogue is serious about his Sorcerer levels, you wouldn't want the NPC to step on his feet at all. Of course you may not need an NPC cleric when the rogue starts taking his sorcerer levels...
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  21:12:10  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Thanks for some of the fast responces! :)

Other than healing - I would like to use the cleric as a 'sometimes' plot device.

I was not aware that the sorcer would be akin to a healer - I guess I forgot to mention that I'm trying to learn 3.5 directly from 2.0 - and am not as familiar with some of the ins and outs.

Lathander would be a good option to be sure - but I guess if I was going the route of lots of Undead - I might opt for Kelemvor. I actually have a soft spot for both Kelemvor and Shaundakul - as I played clerics of both (at separate times) in a long-running 2.0 game.

Siamorphe is indeed an interesting idea - and the elf does have some noble blood in him, though its not known to the player so that probably would not work!

Tyr also was an obvious choice - but I kinda wanted to separate the NPC from the players - so that the other players dont wish they had their own NPC!

Ilmater is interesting. I had somewhat dismissed the idea - but I'll look into it again.

I had thought Mystra and Tymora also, for various reasons. I was thinking against them both as 1) Mystra / My little Sorcerer's feet :) and 2) Tymora / Isnt that old hat? :)

I am of course open to compelling suggestions. There were even other Deities that I thought might be interesting too.

As an ancilliary question - should I start the NPC out at 1st with the rets of them - or maybe have the NPC be 2nd already?

As far as other aspects of the game - all three players have reasons to be 'out and about' in the world - and I could very easilly start the campaign pretty much anywhere - which is actually quite a rare thing for me - not having at least 1-2 players somewhat rooted in one area. So as far as starting locations - I'm open, which means NPC selection could be based somewhat on geography.

Anyhoo - I'm rambling a bit!

Thanks again!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  22:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

So as far as starting locations - I'm open, which means NPC selection could be based somewhat on geography.

If that's true where do you have them starting at, what kind of adventure are you throwing at them? I think that these factors may help in your decision making and our advice.
As for whether or not to start the NPC at 1st level: I say yes, as a matter of fact I would say that you should keep the NPC a level under the party, if at all possible. If the NPC is wimpy then you have little worry that it will stand out in gameplay.
Thysl in Silver

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  22:55:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

I was not aware that the sorcer would be akin to a healer - I guess I forgot to mention that I'm trying to learn 3.5 directly from 2.0 - and am not as familiar with some of the ins and outs.

That's not what Thysl meant. What he meant was that having a cleric of Mystra, and a worshipper of Mystra (as one would expect a sorcerer to be) gives a kind of deific overlap. If you have no problems with two people in one party following the same deity, than it's not an issue. If you'd prefer divine diversity, then Mystra wouldn't be the best choice.

I also like Shaundakul. I think he'd be a good choice for an adventuring cleric.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:09:07  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Thoughts on cleric staying at, or Below character level noted - not a bad idea either.

As for where my PCs will be starting - and what I'll be throwing at them..... Good Question! Heh!

I would like to have some of their histories come into play during the course of the game - but I have not as yet decided on what I would like to focus on. There have been a series of very informative articles in Dungeon on how to set up a campaign - what questions to ask etc. that I truly enjoyed (even if on a couple of counts I did not whole-heartedly agree!).

So - I have not decided on a starting location, nor any sort of story arc that I would like to present them with. Knowing my players - it might do some good to have a couple of options available - and see which one they take the bait on.

Some of the other Deities I thought might be interesting form my scan of FR3E and F&P:

Kelemvor (personal favorite - and would work as well vs. Undead as Lathander)
Lurue (Just finished reading Lady of Poison - and enjoyed it! :) )
Mielikki (would fit well with the ranger - even though he is an elf, and will likely worship an elven deity)
Nobanion (Kinda liked this one for a while - no other reason, really - but it would be different!)
Oghma (Would actually fit in somewhat with the Ranger - as he is involved with searching out ideas for crafting bows)
Selune (with prophecy listed as a domain - how could I go wrong! LOL)
Shaundakul (another personal favorite. (*As an aside - I had a great time playing one - until we happened close to Myth Drannor - and he decided it would be a good idea to try and make it to the temple there...*) )
Shiallia (Would be good if I decided to base them in the Silver Marches or Waterdeep areas - and would tie into the Ranger well)

Again - Ilmater, Tyr, Mystra, Tymora are all good choices - I was just trying to do things a bit differently I suppose, or as in the case of Ilmater - did not come to mind!

Thanks for all teh feedback thus far!

Dhomal

Edited by - Dhomal on 21 Oct 2005 03:14:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:26:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another curious choice is Deneir -- for useful is the cleric who can discuss literature and also appreciate artworks of various types. A great deal of information can be gleaned about a place or people from the types of art they either create or use to decorate their places of residence -- whether it be the traditional tribal scrawls of the Red Tiger Tribe in the North... or the latest works by such and such an artist from Arabel. Of course, this depends largely upon where you intend to set your adventure.

In addition, an adventuring cleric of Deneir's knowledge of glyphs, sigils, and other forms of symbology could come in handy when the PCs are confronted with runes or symbols during the course of their adventure.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Oct 2005 03:30:06
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  20:37:16  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Another curious choice is Deneir -- for useful is the cleric who can discuss literature and also appreciate artworks of various types. A great deal of information can be gleaned about a place or people from the types of art they either create or use to decorate their places of residence -- whether it be the traditional tribal scrawls of the Red Tiger Tribe in the North... or the latest works by such and such an artist from Arabel

This is right along the lines of the current NPC in my campaign: Elander is a scholar cleric of Deneir, who's in Cormyr from Berdusk studying the architecture and history of the Forest Kingdom. He's actually higher level than the party, but those levels are in the Expert class - knowledge skills and some hit points, not much else. He's not much use in a fight, but he keeps plenty of sanctuary scrolls handy (for when he's eploring on his own), so he can concentrate on healing and backing up the PCs. He's also a bit absent-minded, likely to wander off at a critical moment because he saw a fascinating mural or piece of scrollwork down that passage there... ;) He's a source of information, a catalyst for exploration, and - most inportantly - an interesting, memorable character whose worth is more than the sum total of his ability bonuses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000