Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Music playing on the site
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Candlekeep Webmaster
Webmaster

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2002 :  09:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Candlekeep Webmaster's Homepage Send Candlekeep Webmaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks

As you are no doubt aware, a MIDI tune called "Yewtree" begins to play when you first enter the Candlekeep site. This has been in place since the site was launched and used to loop continuously. We since changed that to only play once.

We have had a LOT of feedback on this tune, many people have emailed to ask about it and where it can be obtained. Our question now is, would you prefer to have the music removed from the site or to leave it on a single play?

So, shall we send the bard on his way or let him stay a while?

Jay
Candlekeep Webmaster

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2002 :  17:22:43  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leave it there. A lot of people have said that they like it in the guest book. Personally I'm not too keen but my PC's got a volume control - when I come to the site I turn the sound down

If people come back to the site because of the music that's gotta be a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  11:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the music, so I think you should keep it.

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  14:19:59  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea i vote for keep it, when i first found the site, it kept me coming back to hear it, until i explored and found many other things to keep me coming back!!!!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  21:07:58  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point exactly. All it needs is for others to be like ArcticKnight and keep coming back for the music and we've suddenly got a very active forum.

Incidentally, in my earlier post saying "my PC's got a volume control" meant my computer, not my player character
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  14:17:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been a wandering visitor of the Candlekeep site, and only today decided to join the forum as most of my D&D activities are on-line based (PbeM). (Moving around the world doesn’t make it easy to establish or join gaming groups)

I like the sound effect to the site, it definitely gives it an atmosphere of its own, yet I wonder if our good bard has other songs in his/her repertoire. The looping effect did become a bit annoying after a while… (yes I know, there’s a volume control on the computer, but still )
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  19:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you've set it to single play, I'm back to liking the music. It got real old real quick on the infinat play loop, but it is a nice piece of music and one play is fine. I'd also like to see it available for download as an MP3 file.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  12:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe you could put an off-button on the page?

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  04:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the music. I was actually disappointed when I realized it only plays through once.
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  22:08:17  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must agree with drummerboy, the music is quite enjoyable.

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2002 :  17:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... hmmm... well I guess then that I disagree. Or maybe it was just because I was listening to my favorite music when I went to the site and the music I was playing was softer than the tune of the site. In any case, I would like to have the choice to hear it... and not have it forced upon me, I guess. I like Ghost's idea of an off-button.

Did I piss anybody off now?¿?
I hope not, for it was not my intension.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter

Edited by - Ditalidas on 26 Oct 2002 18:09:55
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  03:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree with you. I personally like the music, but I think that it should play continuously for the people who like it and have an off button on the screen for the people who don't like it. And as for your question, I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't pissed off. BTW, Webmaster, do you by chance have the written music for the "Yewtree" song or know where it can be obtained? I'm somewhat of a musical person (obviously) and I thought it would be kinda fun to play it.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2002 :  12:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those of you who would like to download it only need type http://www.candlekeep.com/sound/yewtree.mid in the adress field to download it. If Explorer ask you whether you want to play it, answer no, and you will be able to save it.

Converting it to would not do anything than make it bigger.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 30 Nov 2002 12:57:12
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2003 :  23:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I have no objection to it - its easy enough to stop (by moving to another part of the website) if (like myself) you often have other music playing while surfing the net.

Alex

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000