Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  02:01:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can try online -- Ebay for example.

I recall both nobleknight.com and dragontrove.com had them listed as available a while back.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  04:34:44  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i just picked them up from amazon for about 1 dollar a book (not including shipping)
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  21:15:37  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok thanks guys thats great il try amazone and ebay.
Go to Top of Page

Nisstyre
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  04:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Nisstyre's Homepage Send Nisstyre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I'm looking for a good FR series to start I'm relatively new to the books I've read the following

The Dark Elf Trilogy
The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Legacy of The Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Cleric Quintet
The Hunter's Blades Trilogy
The Spellfire Series
Starlight And Shadows series
War of The Spider Queen
first two books in the Sellswords series

so recommend away

Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocom.php
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  06:30:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nisstyre

So, I'm looking for a good FR series to start I'm relatively new to the books I've read the following

The Dark Elf Trilogy
The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Legacy of The Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Cleric Quintet
The Spellfire Series
War of The Spider Queen

so recommend away

I would say you have already started my friend Check out a few of these. read them all is my vote, but here are a couple good ones to keep you going

counselors and kings trilogy
Sembia series
Erevis cale trilogy
finders stone trilogy
pools trilogy
The elminster series are great

Edited by - scererar on 26 Jun 2006 06:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  02:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Songs and Swords.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Jun 2006 02:39:32
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  14:48:58  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realy loved the elminster series but in Elminster in hell is there anything that tells us how he got there other than the beggining? And I found this pritty cool thing on this same site called the FR novel guide with a message at the end that sais :

essential timeline reading composite:

evermeet
elminster #1-3
cormyr series
- shadow of the avatar trilogy
- prince of lies
Return of the archwizard
- elminster in hell
- realms of shadow
The last mythal
the year of the dragons

should i respect this list ?
i was on ebay the other day and i finally found my finders stone trilogy and from the same seller there was the shadow of the avatar trilogy. Should i read the avatar trilogy first?

thank you

Edited by - lelorien on 29 Jun 2006 15:09:36
Go to Top of Page

Akukakk
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  15:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Akukakk's Homepage Send Akukakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:
Originally posted by Nisstyre

The Dark Elf Trilogy
The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Legacy of The Drow
Paths of Darkness
The Cleric Quintet
The Spellfire Series
War of The Spider Queen

so recommend away

I would say you have already started my friend Check out a few of these. read them all is my vote, but here are a couple good ones to keep you going

counselors and kings trilogy
Sembia series
Erevis cale trilogy
finders stone trilogy
pools trilogy
The elminster series are great

ya, i would also toss in

return of the archwizards
wisper of waves
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  17:22:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

I realy loved the elminster series but in Elminster in hell is there anything that tells us how he got there other than the beggining? And I found this pritty cool thing on this same site called the FR novel guide with a message at the end that sais :

evermeet
elminster #1-3
cormyr series
- prince of lies
Return of the archwizard
- elminster in hell
- realms of shadow
The last mythal
the year of the dragons

i was on ebay the other day and i finally found my finders stone trilogy and from the same seller there was the shadow of the avatar trilogy. Should i read the avatar trilogy first?

thank you

The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, in book 2, I think it was, explains how El got sent into Hell.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Jun 2006 17:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  17:45:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I realy loved the elminster series but in Elminster in hell is there anything that tells us how he got there other than the beggining?

It's in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy; the beginning of the second book, as I recall.

quote:

And I found this pritty cool thing on this same site called the FR novel guide with a message at the end that sais :

evermeet
elminster #1-3
cormyr series
- prince of lies
Return of the archwizard
- elminster in hell
- realms of shadow
The last mythal
the year of the dragons

In regards to reading to gain a more complete view of the timeline, yes. Ditto for those who wish to read every single Realms novel.

If, instead, you're reading books for pleasure, and aren't really interesting in going by chronological order, then some of those books have been hit-or-miss for a lot of people. In particular, there seems little middle ground with the Return of the Archwizards -- some people hate those books, some people love them. There seems to be few people who are in the middle. And while some people consider the Elminster books to be essential, I can't say I was a fan of them, myself, other than Elminster's Daughter.

quote:

thank you

Again, only if you're interested in completeness/chronology. The original Avatar trilogy wasn't that hot, though the books that followed it were good. Myself, I love the Finder's Stone trilogy, and I heartily recommend it at any opportunity.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  22:57:03  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after that list of books that i posted earlier what should i read?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  22:59:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet and Cormyr are the best history books any fictitious land ever had . . . I'd recommend either, but if you like elves, go with Evermeet first.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  23:35:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

after that list of books that i posted earlier what should i read?

Probably the Sembia and Erevis Cale books. I've not read them, but they come highly recommended by a lot of folks. The latter trilogy is available now; some books of the former series are difficult to find, but the whole series is going to be reprinted soon.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:07:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
evermeet
elminster #1-3
cormyr series
- prince of lies
Return of the archwizard
- elminster in hell
- realms of shadow
The last mythal
the year of the dragons

Very much so since I'm the one that compiled that. :P

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Probably the Sembia and Erevis Cale books. I've not read them, but they come highly recommended by a lot of folks. The latter trilogy is available now; some books of the former series are difficult to find, but the whole series is going to be reprinted soon.

What's funny is I've actually seen quite a lot of Sembia books in bookstores. :) I'd be lucky if I didn't already own them all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:24:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackwolf is extremely difficult to find.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  16:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember going into a bookstore as a young lad and picking up The Icewind Dale Trilogy. That was what got me into Forgotten Realms, and eventually into D&D. Which then led me into other worlds like Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

While I am growing tired of Drizzt, I'd recommend Icewind Dale to new readers. But I am slightly new to the novel scene anyway, despite having been in FR as a player for quite a while now. So I am just now exploring the other avenues as offered by Forgotten Realms novels. I just bought the following novels used on ebay based on a lot of the Sages advice herein.

Elfshadow
Azure Bonds
Spellfire

I hope I made the right choices.

Other than that, I really liked The Cleric Quintet. Though I do not own a copy of the series myself.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 01 Jul 2006 16:14:10
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:15:24  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crystal Shard, Elfshadow, and Spellfire are my starter recommendations too, more so with Crystal Shard and Elfshadow as I feel that Spellfire... well throws too many political groups out there for a new reader.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:58:37  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I remember going into a bookstore as a young lad and picking up The Icewind Dale Trilogy. That was what got me into Forgotten Realms, and eventually into D&D. Which then led me into other worlds like Dark Sun and Dragonlance.

While I am growing tired of Drizzt, I'd recommend Icewind Dale to new readers. But I am slightly new to the novel scene anyway, despite having been in FR as a player for quite a while now. So I am just now exploring the other avenues as offered by Forgotten Realms novels. I just bought the following novels used on ebay based on a lot of the Sages advice herein.

Elfshadow
Azure Bonds
Spellfire

I hope I made the right choices.

Other than that, I really liked The Cleric Quintet. Though I do not own a copy of the series myself.

I started also with the whole legend of drizzt and i must say i loved it. the cleric quintet is also really something i enjoyed greatly and it also may be used for an intruduction to the realms.

I just picked up evermeet and the first two books of the cormyr series so i'l start with those.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:32:37  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new.

I just got into FR but have already read a lot of novels.

I have already real ALL of the Drizzit books.

The War of The Sipder Queen books.

And I'm thinking about reading more Elminster novels.

Besides these, what do you folks recommend?

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords series.

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:58:27  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Songs and Swords series.

K, ty so much!

Can you plz also tell me what the series is about, like, a synopsis.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  05:06:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Utilise the SEARCH function here at Candlekeep.

There's been plenty of scrolls dedicated to the discussion of Elaine's Songs and Swords books. You should find them most enlightening.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:23:25  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what does DR stand for i know its some sort of callender thing but how does it work
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:29:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

what does DR stand for i know its some sort of callender thing but how does it work

Dale Reconing.

It was the roll of years that have been used ever since the Standing Stone was raised in the Dales.

But other nations have thier own roll of years. Cormyr does for example.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Jul 2006 03:29:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:47:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Dale Reconing.

It was the roll of years that have been used ever since the Standing Stone was raised in the Dales.

But other nations have thier own roll of years. Cormyr does for example.

Just to add a little to Kuje's reply...

All three editions of the FRCS elaborate on the various Dating Keeping methods used across the Realms. Check Ed's replies here as well, as he's discussed them a bit.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2006 03:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
The Ogre's Pact, Giant Among Us
Shadows of Doom
Cormyr, Beyond the High Road
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder
The Crimson Gold(Black Wolf problem), The Yellow Silk

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

Okay, that's it. Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  17:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone read the old Harpers book "Soldiers of Ice" (I think that's that title) I'd like to know what you think of it before I start reading it.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  17:52:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soldiers of Ice is among my personal favorites, but I am in minority there I think. If you like gnomes and gnolls its great. I will not say to much so as to not give you any spoilers.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  18:14:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
The Ogre's Pact, Giant Among Us
Shadows of Doom
Cormyr, Beyond the High Road
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder
The Crimson Gold(Black Wolf problem), The Yellow Silk

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

Okay, that's it. Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions!

I'd read Darkwalker first, because it was the first ever published FR novel. :) However, a lot of those that are on your list seem to be books that are part of trilogies.... if you don't have the other books of the trilogy, I'd hold off on reading them.

Many of the class books are stand alone, so you could read them....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000