Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  11:29:53  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And I think I would recommend the non-journaled original Icewind Dale books myself.

*blinks* They went back and added journals to them?

Well met

Wooly, KnightErrantJR refers to The Legend of Drizzt series (which covers all RAS novels except Servant of the Shard). I don't have the tomes myself but I have seen them. The cover art is very impressive (Todd Lockwood, I believe), and the books contain interviews with RAS, and forewords by Ed etc.) Certainly worth getting if you're a fan of the books

I think I`ll get them when they come out in soft-cover. My budget doesn`t allow me to buy hardcovers.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:16:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Wooly, KnightErrantJR refers to The Legend of Drizzt series (which covers all RAS novels except Servant of the Shard). I don't have the tomes myself but I have seen them. The cover art is very impressive (Todd Lockwood, I believe), and the books contain interviews with RAS, and forewords by Ed etc.) Certainly worth getting if you're a fan of the books

I think I`ll get them when they come out in soft-cover. My budget doesn`t allow me to buy hardcovers.

I'll pass on them altogether. I've got all the original paperbacks. I don't care enough about the books to buy them again to get a bit more material, and Todd Lockwood could never match Larry Elmore's work on the original cover for The Crystal Shard.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  05:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll pass on them altogether. I've got all the original paperbacks. I don't care enough about the books to buy them again to get a bit more material, and Todd Lockwood could never match Larry Elmore's work on the original cover for The Crystal Shard.
I'd have to say that goes for me as well. New cover artwork isn't enough for me to warrant purchasing these collections, since I've never been a great fan of Drizzt to begin with. In fact, when I started buying my own FR novels instead of borrowing them constantly from the Sage, I deliberately skipped over the collected editions and tried to find first edition printings of all the original RAS works.

I've had some success, although I'm still missing a copy of Homeland.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 16 Aug 2005 05:38:39
Go to Top of Page

marcsmart
Acolyte

Hong Kong
37 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  02:59:03  Show Profile  Visit marcsmart's Homepage Send marcsmart a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm a newbee here~I've read just started with FR novels like 3 months ago;
I started cuz I played the PC game Baldur's Gate, so yea, got all the three
books done. And started with another-Alabaster Staff. I don't know much about
the realms and history, I will try to catch up. Actually, I just wanted to know
the time lines, like which book is right after Baldur's Gate? or I shouldn't
bother cuz it will be complete a different thing;

Hope you understand my English, I am not too good at it.
By the way, I am Marc, from Hong Kong.

Hi!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  03:53:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcsmart

I'm a newbee here~I've read just started with FR novels like 3 months ago;
I started cuz I played the PC game Baldur's Gate, so yea, got all the three
books done. And started with another-Alabaster Staff. I don't know much about
the realms and history, I will try to catch up. Actually, I just wanted to know
the time lines, like which book is right after Baldur's Gate? or I shouldn't
bother cuz it will be complete a different thing;

Hope you understand my English, I am not too good at it.
By the way, I am Marc, from Hong Kong.

Hi!

Welcome to Candlekeep!

As for which novel follows Baldur's Gate... Going by the old and sadly out of date fiction timeline on the Wizards page (Presenting . . . Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction), The Mage in the Iron Mask is the next novel, chronologically.

But one of the great things about the Realms is that you can jump in at just about any point. So it's not necessary to read all the books in chronological order (I certainly haven't!)

In fact, if you scroll back thru this thread, you'll see plenty of suggestions for which Realms books are the best to read for a new person such as yourself.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2005 03:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  05:31:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also 2 other Baldur's Gate novels that go with the first one. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rivan
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  18:52:49  Show Profile Send Rivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I have played many of the FR CRPGs for quite some time and bought myself the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (still single best source for begginners IMO because one can branch out from there into the novels about things they find interesting), I just started reading the FR novels about a year ago. I've only finished the Moonshaes, Icewind Dale, and Avatar Trilogies/Series, so my experience with the novels is somewhat limited, but I would recommend the Icewind Dale Trilogy as a great intro to readers new to the FR novels.

With all due respect to the wise sages present, I couldn't help but think while reading the Avatar Series that, though it sets the background for much of present Faerun, it could be extremely overwhelming for someone not versed in the history, people, and places in the realms. Not that one can't still enjoy the books, but I think knowledge of the Dales, Zhents, Harpers, Elminster, Waterdeep, and the myriad of gods and goddesses that experienced readers take for granted can get really confusing for a new reader and in general detracts from one's understanding and appreciation of the events depicted therein. I know that probably sounds unusual given that the first three novels were written fairly early in the life of the FR, but I sense the authors drew from information that was far more detailed than could be gleaned just from reading novels alone.

The ID Trilogy is written in such a way that usually doesn't suppose any knowledge of the FR, even when people and places with more extensive histories pop into the picture. For the most part they are engaging fantasy novels that introduce the reader to the races, places, and culture of a particularly popular swath of land without getting heavily into the politics and wider conflicts that surround them. Plus, regardless of how one feels about the over-exposure of Drizzt and the quality of the author's later work, the ID Trilogy is legitimately good fantasy reading rather than a history book about the FR.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  02:02:01  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, some of my favorite novels Iam reading at the moment are The War of Spider Queen series. The drow have always facsinated me but I would like to read some novels about the drow that start outside of Menzoberanzan like Ched Nassad(before it got destroyed by druegar) or Eryndlyn. And this is my first post.Yay.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 20 Aug 2005 02:02:51
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  20:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, three new members just on this scroll alone! This was a good idea to introduce, Alaundo - welcome to you three.
I can't speak for other peoples' opinions, but I would think that the anthologies are some excellent places to start. You get a broad view of the Realms, as seen by many different authors so you can get your own favorites, and many related books can be suggested when considering which tales you liked.
That said, I would not reccomend the anthologies based around Realms Shaking Events (RSE's for you new members), such as Realms of the Elves/Shadow/Deep. As well, Realms of the Underdark is probably not the place to start for a wide view of Faerun.
Go with the old anthologies, which were still packed with 'flavor,' such as Realms of Mystery/Magic/Valor/Infamy. These are enough to let you see the Realms from a broad perspective and then to dive in.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  20:48:04  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any books on the Creator Race?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  02:55:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not specifically, no.

Most of the creator races have received their treatment in various source material -- The Savage Frontier and Serpent Kingdoms to name a few...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  01:12:42  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmmmm. How many books take place in the Underdark? I can't stop reading about the drow....

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  06:27:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apart from those by Salvatore and the War of the Spider Queen, I can, at the moment, only come up with Elaine Cunningham's Shadows & Starlight-trilogy (although most of the action in particularly book 2 and 3 takes place on the surface) about Liriel Baenre, and Realms of the Underdark. OF course, if Undermountain is considered part of the Underdark, then there are a varying degree of activity there in Escape From Undermountain by Mark Anthony, Silverfall by Ed Greenwood, Thornhold and Dream Spheres by Elaine Cunningham (again), and more recently the second book of the Erevis Cale-trilogy, Dawn of Night by Paul S Kemp.

So, which ones did I miss?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  18:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The books to start with really depend on the reader. Its a totally different case between people wanting a good read and those intrested in the realms. To me FR novels give both lore and entertainment, but I have been involved with the realms for quite some time now.

Anyway, in my opinion the first books to introduce someone to the realms should most importantly be very well written and not necessarily full of the realms. The reader should little by little be lured into the realms.
My first novel was Salvatore's Crystal Shard and that was just the perfect book to start my adventuring into the realms. As I was a lot younger then I now look back to that book as a good read, but at the same time I can't help thinking that it wouldn't have the same effect had I not read it until now.
It was full of action and magic, there was a dragon, barbarians and a well written dark elf killing machine. What more could you ask for? Now its not about action anymore. Its good to have Some action but I tend to like more story and character -driven novels.

Before my post gets totally out of hand: the books to start with should be categorized not just by how far into the realms the reader is, but also by the age/mindset of the reader.

I have to confess that I don't have access to many FR novels, only to the most popular ones. To that end I can't really give good recommendations aside from Cunnigham and Salvatore.

Oh, and, of course, everything with drow. Dunno why really. It just seems to work :)
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  01:56:46  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll write my own FR novels and start a whole series of books about the drow.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2005 02:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  18:15:08  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see this thread before... But I would suggest the Avatar's trilogy, (indeed it was like I started...), and after it Fider's Stone trilogy and the Songs and Swords series would be a very good choice, I would leave R.A.S. novels for a time later, they are a bit complex for a start, I think...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  02:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good bet would be to start with the hardbacks. They usually have good stories to start off with.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:04:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to that I would also add the short story anthologies... giving the reader a considerably wide tasting of what the Realms fiction has to offer.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:32:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friend and member of my gaming group was interested in starting to read Realms fiction. He had looked through the FRCS before, and his character was Cormyrean. He ended up reading the Best of the Realms first, and then on my suggestion, started the Cormyr saga. He was so impressed with those three books that he exclaimed that they kicked the Star Wars novels . . . well, you can imagine.

So while general strategies are wonderful to come up with, sometimes people have to come into the Realms from their own personal perspectives.
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  17:12:34  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met,

Personnaly, if i would like to introduce anew player to the realms, i'd probably start him on the Harpers serie.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Acolyte

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  13:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The anthologies are a great option as are all the novels from the harpers series. My personal choice would be anything written by Elaine Cunningham.
With all due respect to the other writers.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  18:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As said before, it really depends. If you´re interested in the "why is it,like it is" background for the world, then the Avatar Trilogy is the place for you. If you want to get a feel for adventuring in the realms first, then I would also recommend the Harper´s Series, followed by the Anthologies.
I have to say that I´ve been successful on "hooking" people to the Realms with both tactics...ahem.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  21:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire, unequivocally.

But the Songs and Swords books also convey a lot of nice "Realms flavor".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Acolyte

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  18:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which of the newest trilogies should I purchase? I've already planned to buy scions of arrabar and my latest reading has been the return of the archwizards and counselors and kings
what i want is to buy something to keep up with the events of the realms that's also a good reading, and to be honest i have a limited budget (marriage is not so good for the hobby)
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  19:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really depends what your flavour and interest is. Tgey´re all worth their money IMO. If you´re interested in Elves, go for the "Last Mythal" books by Richard Baker, if you´re more interested in a Rage of Dragons and the Cult of the Dragon, go for the "Year of the Rogue Dragons" by Richard Lee Byers. Both are going to have some hard impact on Faerun, methinks. Then again, if you´d like to follow up on some Shade-Stuff, Paul Kamp´s Erevis Cale Trilogy is for you.
"Scions of Arrabar" is a great read, but presented in a quite specific locale. Same goes for Lisa Smedman´s Yuan-Ti trilogy.
I´m sorry, I can´t really give you advice to "buy this one", as they all have a lot of class, but maybe you´ll know which direction will suit you most.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brom Greenstar

which of the newest trilogies should I purchase? I've already planned to buy scions of arrabar and my latest reading has been the return of the archwizards and counselors and kings
what i want is to buy something to keep up with the events of the realms that's also a good reading, and to be honest i have a limited budget (marriage is not so good for the hobby)

I definitely recommend the Last Mythal series.

Scions of Arrabar is just awesome. I have yet to delve into Emerald Scepter.

Year of Rogue Dragons is an entertaining series, especially considering the paired Realms of Dragons anthologies.

Erevis Cale's trilogy is also a good choice.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always have said that the best place to start would be The Avatar trilogy.The ToT was a major point in the Realms.It would get the new reader acquainted with some of the major gods.Especially Mystra,Cyric,and Bane..It takes the reader to three major areas of the realms.Also it's a great read.Add in the Trial of Cyric,and they are a real good read.No matter who the "Deathstar" killed off.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  02:29:34  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the Avatar series, is it good?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  02:40:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

I haven't read the Avatar series, is it good?

I wasn't a fan of the original trilogy, but I liked the two books that followed.

I consider the trilogy required reading, though, because so much else builds off of or refers to the Time of Troubles.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  03:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Avatar trilogy is a must. I didn't enjoy it that much either, but I was drawn into the two sequel novels.

Of course, the real treat that follows the Avatar trilogy is the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy, which is one of my favorites.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 19 Sep 2005 03:01:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000