Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Visiting the USA
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From the 13th of september i am going to spend 10 weeks in the USA. Can any of you tell me where to go if i want to find a big well-assorted store, selling AD&D books and novels? I land in New York and the take a Road Trip down the East coast followed by a long cruise through the south to L.A. and the general West Coast. Have any of you any ideas of where to go if i want to find stores, events or so?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barnes and Noble is a good store to check, also Waldenbooks seems to keep a wide selection of D&D stuff on hand. However, if you want to find a good source of gaming books look up Hobby stores or comic book shops in whatever city you are in. They usually have a better selection.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool... Thanks. I look forward to empty the shelves of books. What are the price level for the different books? Novels?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:33:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

cool... Thanks. I look forward to empty the shelves of books. What are the price level for the different books? Novels?

Go to Barnes and Noble online and you can see some prices for various items. Be aware, at least the store I buy from locally, does not offer the discounts for online shoppers. They simply sell at suggested retail price for gaming products.
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novels go for about 7-10 dollars a piece US, D&D 3.x books go for around $35 US. Some hobby shops may discount some, but that's what to expect standard.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  17:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool... I will look at the prices online. Good to have something to expect when i arrive. It sounds like its not all that cheaper than in Denmark, but the number of books on sale are probably greater...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  17:06:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, in case you need to know the currency conversion rate, I recommend this site:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt you'll find any AD&D books at Barnes and Noble or Walden, they carry novels and 3ed only. Go for the gaming, comic, and hobby shops.

Wizards has a retail locator:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=company/locator

Green Ronin also has a retail locator:

http://www.greenronin.com/retailer_locator.php?country=US&state_prov=NY

Check out Forbidden Planet if you get a chance, I can't remember if they have any gaming stuff, but it is an inredibly cool store.
Address & Phone:
840 Broadway @ 13th Street
473-1576
475-6161 (Mail Order)

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, and if you look for Half Price Books, or other 2d hand stores, they will have a wealth of books available as well.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if your cruise through the south brings you into Memphis, TN, check out Comics and Collectibles on Poplar Ave, they have the best gaming selection in town.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  22:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sci-Fi City in Orlando is pretty good.

The Wizard's Wall in Melbourne, Florida (the Space Coast) is pretty good, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  19:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for the older stuff, then I am sure there HAS TO BE a good 2nd hand store in NYC. I don't live there, but I am sure there is one.

You might be able to order the books online from a book store and then have them shipped to a local store in the US. You can then go and pick up these books when you visit.
Go to Top of Page

Patman21967
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  05:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Patman21967's Homepage Send Patman21967 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey,
As you come down the East Coast corridor, on Interstate 95, you will pass through a small state named Delaware. In the city of Newark Delaware, there is an incredible game store called the "Days of Knights". You can visit their website at www.daysofknights.com

The store is owned by good friend and fellow gamer friend of mine. Perhaps if you stop, we could meet for lunch and a beer or 2.

My email is patman21967@comcast.net

Let me know!!!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  14:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but we havent got any certain route to take. That is the beauty of our trip. We improvise as we see what the day brings... But thanks for the offer.

Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  14:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are much better stores than the local chain bookstore for role playing games. If you are really interested I can ask my sister in NYC what game stores are good.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  00:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be awsome. I would be very grateful if you would do that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000