Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sea Battle and Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  03:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
between cormyrean and zhentish ships.
as i had recently played in such a battle and was thrown in the role of comander for our forces(the zhents), i asked myself some questions.
what kind of ships do these countries use and how big is the crew?
how many war wizards and bane priest would be on these ships?
what spells would each group have memorized or prayed for?
so lets say the zhents cast a planar ally spell and call a pit fiend (16hd), what would they offer him for his help?
(i offered him 200 souls;
would he be willing to have a dimensional anquor(sp?) casted
on him, so the others can not banish?
is there a way to sacrifice a someone so your god gets the
soul?)
will be continued ...

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  04:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the pit fiend, but for rules on ship combat and magic spells specifically designed for the sea, I recommend Pirates of the Fallen Stars (FR accessory) and Of Ships and the Sea (D&D accessory). Both are 2e, but have some good stuff. One that springs immidiately to mind is Mass Jump which (IIRC) is a 3rd level wizard spell that allows 1 person per caster level to jump as per the 1st level spell. Used for boarding.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  04:18:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

between cormyrean and zhentish ships.
as i had recently played in such a battle and was thrown in the role of comander for our forces(the zhents), i asked myself some questions.
what kind of ships do these countries use and how big is the crew?

In part it depends on where to battle occured. Inner sea galleys could be used, crews up to 300 or so. These also can be used for ocean coastal travel, they are not suited for trans-ocean travel or combat. Long boats are more suited to the later with crews of up to as much as 75. Of course there are also sailed ships with crews in the range of 10 to 20 that in RW can later in development however exisit at the same time in D&D. Of course magic also exists that could have a crew of one or none for magical enchanted ships.
quote:

how many war wizards and bane priest would be on these ships?

Depending on ship it would vary as to number of passengers carried. A long ship for example is almost total crew/marines. The other ships can carry passengers /troops in a far greater percentage. I would expext that no matter what ship was used that there would be at least two of each.
quote:

what spells would each group have memorized or prayed for?

War wizards might conentrate on fire, lightning and summoning spells. Certainly long range spells perfered.
Priests might look at weather spekks, wind to fill sais, lower water to cause another ship to founder (perhaps capsize), some might speak with animals to request aid from whales or other creatures of the waters
quote:

so lets say the zhents cast a planar ally spell and call a pit fiend (16hd), what would they offer him for his help?
(i offered him 200 souls;
would he be willing to have a dimensional anquor(sp?) casted
on him, so the others can not banish?
is there a way to sacrifice a someone so your god gets the
soul?)
will be continued ...

Not sure what a pit fiend wants as pay, however the general understanding I have is that a soul can not be directed to another deity. That a soul is collected by the person's deity or becomes lost collected by none.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  02:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here are some more infos on this "strange" battle.
the dm said the cormyreans had two frigates and a troop transporter for 300 soldiers, the zhents go with two treerems(sp?) and a large barge. both parties show their colour. it was said by the dm that the zhents are a trading coaster though an evil one. the two forces came closer and suddenly the cormyreans let fly a volley of ten fireballs per ship at 1800 feet distance. i go .
the dm said my ships were sinking because of hull breach!!
so i tried some countermeasures, normal and magical.
i would call that an unprovoked attack, right?
and from a "good" country!

and now for something completly different.
say, i torture someone and tell him i stop if he converts to my god and he does, wouldnt that give me souls to barter with?
or would there be some inter-deity conflict because the conversion was under duress?

Edited by - Songrimm on 17 Jun 2005 03:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  03:05:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and now for something completly different.
say, i torture someone and tell him i stop if he converts to my god and he does, wouldnt that give me souls to barter with?
or would there be some inter-deity conflict because the conversion was under duress?

I'd say that since it was under duress, his soul would still belong to the deity he worshipped before being tortured. Even swearing to serve another god wouldn't matter -- that other god doesn't have a true hold on the person's soul, so it's the same as if the vow was never made.

In other words, conversion by torture wouldn't count in the eyes of any deity.

Of course, the person's patron deity might have a problem with one of his/her followers being coerced into swearing to be faithful to another deity... This might lead to a bit of skirmishing here and there between the rival faiths, but I don't see too much more than that happening.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  04:56:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So here are some more infos on this "strange" battle.
the dm said the cormyreans had two frigates and a troop transporter for 300 soldiers, the zhents go with two treerems(sp?) and a large barge. both parties show their colour. it was said by the dm that the zhents are a trading coaster though an evil one. the two forces came closer and suddenly the cormyreans let fly a volley of ten fireballs per ship at 1800 feet distance. i go .

AD&D (i.e. 1st Edition) had higher ranges outdoors IIRC. Strange navies but as before tech gets rather mixed up. I do not see 10 mages on the frigates though it certainly posible, just very unlikely passeagers would number that high and 5 level (or better mages) would not tend to be crew or officers. A ship under flag of trade is only a valid traget if a state of war exists and it is believed the traders are carring war materials. [quote]
the dm said my ships were sinking because of hull breach!!
[/unquote]

Rather hard for fire to breach hull below water line, though is the hull point system that has been used in some war machines for D&D.[quote]
so i tried some countermeasures, normal and magical.
i would call that an unprovoked attack, right?
and from a "good" country!
[/unquote]
It appears that the attack was not justified based on information provided.
However certain a commercial vessel in foriegn waters can be subject to attack for just the reason of being in the wrong place. Without knowing treaties or not any what each nation considers their space, it becomes much harder to judge if the good nation acted lawfully in defense or not.

Off hand I suspect (based on what you report) the DM did go a little excessive in some assepects of this sea battle.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2005 :  01:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Off hand I suspect (based on what you report) the DM did go a little excessive in some assepects of this sea battle"
you might say that. though he said the good players should run the battle, after just five minutes it was more like a 1-on-1 between the dm and me. so much for player involvment.
must have gotten carried away with excitement or just wanted to see the good guys win and didnt trust the players.

this battle was supposed to be the climax of a tourney between good, neutral and evil groups. needless to say the neutrals won because of not involving themself in the sea battle. they stayed out of range and waited for the exhausted winner to come clear so they could pick up the pieces left. damn cowards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000