Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Faces of Deception
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  17:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok I just finished reading Faces of Deception.
The ending leaves too many questions hanging in the air.
SPOILER
Ok, so Atreus didn't get to wave goodbye to Seema and also what's gonna happen between him and Rishi now??? Do these characters appear in another novel or are mentioned elsewhere? Give me your thoughts/opinions as well, and if they appear elsewhere, the source.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  18:41:51  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the bes to my knowledge, the only other place they appeared was in a 2E Dragon article that statted them up....
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  18:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Ok I just finished reading Faces of Deception.
The ending leaves too many questions hanging in the air.
SPOILER
Ok, so Atreus didn't get to wave goodbye to Seema and also what's gonna happen between him and Rishi now??? Do these characters appear in another novel or are mentioned elsewhere? Give me your thoughts/opinions as well, and if they appear elsewhere, the source.

I feel your pain, I loved that book right up until it ended. What a disappointment! It's almost as if it was the first part of a series that got cancelled. There is no continuation of the story as far as I know.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

To the bes to my knowledge, the only other place they appeared was in a 2E Dragon article that statted them up....

I would love to take a look at that, would you happen to know what issue?

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2005 :  22:42:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was another book I didn't like... The ending made it feel like the entire thing had been a waste of time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  00:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a great cliffhanger. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a sequel.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  05:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah it was a great book up until that end.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  00:09:18  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atreus (NG hm ftr10), Yago (LN ogre m 8 HD), Rishi (CE hm rog8, Seema (LG hf clr9 of Serene Abhirati -- who I might make an alias of Eldath), Tarch (LE m barbasu), and Sannyasi (LG m movanic deva)were given full 2E stats by the author, Troy Denning, in the 1998 Dragon Annual (so not on the Dragon CD-ROM).
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  07:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Atreus (NG hm ftr10), Yago (LN ogre m 8 HD), Rishi (CE hm rog8, Seema (LG hf clr9 of Serene Abhirati -- who I might make an alias of Eldath), Tarch (LE m barbasu), and Sannyasi (LG m movanic deva)were given full 2E stats by the author, Troy Denning, in the 1998 Dragon Annual (so not on the Dragon CD-ROM).

Thanks!

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:13:18  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want a sequel, too.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  18:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

I want a sequel, too.

I'd be happy with just five more pages telling us what happened. Even if they all die horrible deaths, it would be better than the ending as it is.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  11:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

I want a sequel, too.

I'd be happy with just five more pages telling us what happened. Even if they all die horrible deaths, it would be better than the ending as it is.

Aye, same here, I wonder when will the sequel be coming.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  21:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate knocking on a writer's books but Faces of Deception left me feeling... icky inside. The ending obviously left me thinking that this was an incomplete book but overall, I didn't like the fact that we were introduced to a whole new region of the Realms, (the Utter East), but 95% of the book takes place on a glacier that could be anywhere. Ah well, bad books happen.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! Where the hell is all of it taking place in the east? Where is this place (other than Duhlnarim and Erlkazar, which I have dedicated a NWN server to) :P

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  17:47:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's in the Utter East. Just off the map to the east (well, duh) of Var the Golden. I believe the only sourcebook that contain more than a paragraph about the area is the old Shining South.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  20:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find the map here on Candlekeep's website in the Map Room. It's called the Utter East, not to be confused with the Udder East, which we all know is filled with Bovine. Woolpert can fill you in more on that area.

As for other sources, maps (albeit with nothing more than country names) can be found in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas and Ulgarth, technically part of the Utter East, has a page blurb in the Shining South 3.5 Edition sourcebook. Other than that, not a whole lot, unless you want to consider the non-canon Double Diamond sagas, which I haven't heard much good about.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  23:11:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

You can find the map here on Candlekeep's website in the Map Room. It's called the Utter East, not to be confused with the Udder East, which we all know is filled with Bovine. Woolpert can fill you in more on that area.

That is horrible! I salute you!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to take credit for the horrible land of the cowgod known as the Udder East, but someone else came up with that name and I don't remember who. So, whoever did, the credit merely belongs to them.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  02:30:26  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book was only one of two (out of 79) FR novels that I actually HATED. The other was Council of the Blades, (although the 2nd half wasn't bad...). The ending sucked and actually made me angry that I wasted 3 days worth of reading to finish this book. I'm a Troy Denning fan, but I could not have been anymore disappointed. This is one of those books that I can't imagine an editor for WotC saying, "Sure. Let's publish this."
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  05:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the book was a decent book, I just didn't like the ending either.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000