Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Telamont's sons?.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverpriestess
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  13:10:26  Show Profile  Visit silverpriestess's Homepage Send silverpriestess a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone. Recently I had been doing some research on Lord Shadow sons and read part of the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. I found some stuff that confused me. According to my research, his sons are:

1) Prince Rivalen Tanthul
2) Prince Clariburnus Tanthul
3) Prince Brennus Tanthul
4 & 5) Prince Mattick and Vattick Tanthul (Both are twins.)
6) Prince Yder Tanthul
7) Prince Melegaunt Tanthul (youngest and yet very well versed in deception)
8) Prince Lamork Tanthul
9) Prince Dethud Tanthul (His father closest advisor)
10) Prince Aglarel Tanthul
11) Prince Escanor Tanthul
Then who is the 12th Prince? Also, there are some rumors that Hardrune the Chamberlain of the LordShadow is the 13th son of the LordShadow and an illegitimate son as well. Is it true? And who is the 12th Prince?

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  13:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes there are some rumors which says Hadrhune as the 13th son of the High Prince. Hardrune was said to be working to destroy any who presents a threat to his father, and "his father" here may mean Telamont himself. But why Telamont refuses to acknowledge that Hadrhune is also his son, probably has to do with Rivalen Tanthul and Yder Tanthul hatred against Hadrhune.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:10:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, could have sworn there was mention in the series that Hardrune was an Elf.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:16:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention it, I think you are right, becuase when Galeron first learned shadow magic, I thought it strange for an elf to use it when they are so tied to the Weave, then they mentioned that Hadrhune was an elf.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:20:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Now that you mention it, I think you are right, becuase when Galeron first learned shadow magic, I thought it strange for an elf to use it when they are so tied to the Weave, then they mentioned that Hadrhune was an elf.

Yeah, and his stats are all messed up in the FRCS, because at the time, Shades were a race instead of a template.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

silverpriestess
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  09:55:05  Show Profile  Visit silverpriestess's Homepage Send silverpriestess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, Hadrhune an elf? Hmm, how did an elf came to be among the shades and working so closely to the LordShadow himself. But in the FR Lords of Darkness, it was said that Hadrhune father is Telamont himself, as in the FR Lords of Darkness- "Hadrhune was said to be working to destroy any who pose a threat to his father plans."
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  09:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, silverpriestess is quite right. I also possess a copy of the FR Lords of Darkness and in the book, it did mention that "Hadrhune is working to destroy those pose a threat to his father's power". So this sentence in the book may have caused some confusion as to whether Hadrhune is an illegitimate son of LordShadow or he is simply working for someone else. But anyway, who is the 12th Prince and son of LordShadow? The book did not mention the 12th Prince identity.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  13:11:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Yes, silverpriestess is quite right. I also possess a copy of the FR Lords of Darkness and in the book, it did mention that "Hadrhune is working to destroy those pose a threat to his father's power". So this sentence in the book may have caused some confusion as to whether Hadrhune is an illegitimate son of LordShadow or he is simply working for someone else. But anyway, who is the 12th Prince and son of LordShadow? The book did not mention the 12th Prince identity.

Hadrhune is the twelfth (albeit illegitimate) son of Telamont.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  14:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverpriestess

Wait, Hadrhune an elf? Hmm, how did an elf came to be among the shades and working so closely to the LordShadow himself. But in the FR Lords of Darkness, it was said that Hadrhune father is Telamont himself, as in the FR Lords of Darkness- "Hadrhune was said to be working to destroy any who pose a threat to his father plans."

Hadrhune an elf?!
What elf-woman in her right mind would have bedded Telamont?
And more importantly, I can imagine Telamont's wife - Alashar Crywinds - letting it happen.

BTW Could Alashar return to life somehow?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  15:21:27  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hadrhune must be a half-elf then. Or was/is Telamont half-elven aswell?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  16:34:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by silverpriestess

Hadrhune an elf?!

Yes. I read it in LoD I think. Don't have the copy atm though.

quote:
What elf-woman in her right mind would have bedded Telamont?

Oh, he was a HUMAN before he became an outsider – a pure shadowstuff. And maybe a very handsome human.

quote:

And more importantly, I can imagine Telamont's wife - Alashar Crywinds - letting it happen.

My guess is that Hadhrune was conceived by an anonymous elf during Telamont's years as Karsus's apprentice – long before he met Alashar. I know that would make Hadhrune the eldest son. But that could explain why he never feared Rivalen (his rival) and the other princes.

quote:

BTW Could Alashar return to life somehow?

I don't think so. Her death, and most importantly its cause, is very important in the current development of Paul's novels – the clashes between Brennus and Rivalen, between Brennus and Telamont, and between Telamont and Rivalen would have ended if Alashar returns.

quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Hadrhune must be a half-elf then. Or was/is Telamont half-elven aswell?

Telamont was a human and now is an outsider made purely of shadowstuff.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  16:49:11  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of darkness doesn't say something about Hadrhune being an elf or Telamounts son neither does the FR Campaign setting.

Only a sidebar in LoD calls him Prince Hadrhune.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 29 Oct 2010 16:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  16:55:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most probably in Anauroch: The Empire of Shade and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. Unfortunately, I don't have them atm.

Go to Top of Page

Strife026
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  21:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Strife026's Homepage Send Strife026 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its mentioned in the RoTA trilogy that Hadrhune is a elf. It is revealed in a conversation between the Most High and Galeron, either book 2 or 3.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  05:48:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strife026

Its mentioned in the RoTA trilogy that Hadrhune is a elf. It is revealed in a conversation between the Most High and Galeron, either book 2 or 3.

Strange. I can't recall any.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  21:51:13  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malath Tanthul is the 12th prince. He appears in Return of the Archwizards series just long enough to be blasted apart into globules of shadowy liquid gore by the warding spells of Mystra's Chosen. He likely does not appear in Lords of Darkness for similar reasons.

There is also Faould Tanthul who is mentioned in the 4E campaign guide. I imagine he may have been an outcast or black sheep of the family tucked away to explain why he has only now emerged. Alternatively, he may have been thrown in when dilligent authors could not find the esoteric 12th name.
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  22:17:34  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faould appear briefly in Return of the Archiwizards but there isn't any hint that he is a Prince of Shade.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  02:52:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 4E at least, this is what the FRCG indicates, in part on page 260, with regards to the 12 princes of Shade.

Princes of Shade

Telamont Tanthul
Telamont is the Most High of the Princes of Shade and father of the others.

Prince Rivalen Tanthul
High priest of Shar in all of Netheril, Rivalen is the goddess’s most powerful devotee in the world, comparable to the exarchs of other gods. The Most High rules the Netherese, but Rivalen is their spiritual leader.

Other Princes
The other ten sons of Telamont oversee various aspects of the empire, working together to further the aims of their father. Prince Clariburnus is a general of the armies of Netheril, as is his brother Yder, who is also the chief templar of the Dome of Night. Aglarel is the leader of the Most High’s private legions and Telamont’s personal bodyguard. Brennus, Faould,Lamorak, Melegaunt, and the identical twins Mattick and Vattick manage various government functions. Dethud is head of Netheril’s intelligence forces. He has a reputation for quiet wisdom and regularly advises all the Princes of Shade.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000