Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR movies: What should be in it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  20:24:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Did I read somewhere that it was Khelben who resembles Sean Connery, or did I correctly intuit it, or am I just imagining this?

I thought someone recently mentioned the Elminster image in the FRCS was based on Sean.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  23:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I' faith. When I first saw the FRCS Elminster picture I thought 'But it's Khelben who's supposed to look like S.C.' -- but I can't remember where I got the idea from.
Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  00:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You do realize in just signing both those two stars, the hypothetical FR movie would have a budget that would match if not exceed the entire budget (reported at $45 million last time I checked) for the first D&D movie.

I'd love to see such stars as you have mentioned in an FR film. But, I don't see $$$$wise how it could happen.

Unfortunately I have to agree, but I can dream ;)...I think some of the first D&D movie's failings can be attributed to lack of funding. I wonder how much of that $45 million went to special effects and Jeremy Irons. I just don't think there was much left over to make it a truly polished film. But, if you think small...You know, the whole "you gotta spend money to make money" theory, which I think actually holds true pretty often in the film industry. Let's face it, there have been some movies that killed at the box office...Titanic, Chicago, anything with Oprah Winfrey, Glenn Close, or Meryl Streep in it, etc. that I would struggle just to sit through (let alone actually enjoy watching)...but they did appeal to their "target audience". So, if they spend the money to craft a top notch script, cast a competent, but not terribly expensive cast (find some of the lesser known talent), advertise well to their target audience which includes but is not limited to the same folks that watched (and loved) LOTR, read fantasy adventure novels, loved Pirates of the Caribbean, loved Gladiator, loved Braveheart, etc., and utilized a team of masterful, innovative special effects geniuses (like perhaps the folks that worked on LOTR)...I think it could be very successful AND we would actually like it too...

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>

Edited by - Lokahn Mandrake on 23 Apr 2005 00:10:01
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  01:46:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lokahn Mandrake
Unfortunately I have to agree, but I can dream ;)...

Nothing wrong with dreaming. But, who are you going to cast as your female lead if you are casting your FR movie?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  02:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I' faith. When I first saw the FRCS Elminster picture I thought 'But it's Khelben who's supposed to look like S.C.' -- but I can't remember where I got the idea from.

You would have gleaned that idea from me, as it's my standard answer (and Elaine's, as I recall) whenever asked for a visual template of what Khelben really looks like.

Go back and look at the City of Splendors cover, if you doubt me.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  03:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But, who are you going to cast as your female lead if you are casting your FR movie?

Hmm, interesting question...I am a fan of Kiera Knightley (sp?), I think she could do a fair job, and hopefully wouldn't ask for too much cheddar. Not sure what she'd play, maybe a "charming" rogue, bard, or arcane spellcaster. I'd tend to lean towards a younger female lead, primarily because they'd be less inclined to demand vast $$$s. Interestingly enough, if you had the female lead be say, an elf or another common non-human race, then the female lead wouldn't have to speak fluent English necessarily...Her speaking parts could be done either as voiceovers in "elvish", or if she was really good at mimicking the sort of Elvish they did in LOTR then she could do it herself with subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Other options that would hopefully not break the bank: Thandie Newton (Dame Vaako in Chronicles of Riddick), Alexa Davalos (Kyra in Chronicles of Riddick), Devon Aoki (Miho in Sin City), Alexis Bledel (Becky in Sin City), Jessica Biel (Abigail in Blade Trinity), or Kate Beckinsale (Selene in Underworld) just to name a few. I think any of them could do a pretty good job, but Kiera, Alexa Davalos, Jessica, or Kate would all be very good I think.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>
Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  03:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of Khelben as more of say a Powers Boothe. Now Mr. Boothe would need to grow a beard or at least "wear" one to look the part. And they'd have to put some of the salt & pepper back in his hair that he works so hard to dye out. But I think he could do it, he can be pretty intense and that is certainly a trait that I would think of when I think of Khelben...

I could see Sean Connery being transformed into the grand old sage Elminster though.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  03:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, female lead in the movie? Well, my recommendations are Kate Beckinsale and Liv Tyler, which I think are optimally suited for the movie. Then concerning the male lead, especially for the younger roles, I not refering to which actor for Elminister, but surely there is a role for a younger actor as a warrior or mage, for the younger lead, well let see....Orlando Bloom is good, John Travolta would be good but good to play Telamont Tanthul or some very cool role, Josh Harnet is another good one, Ben Affleck? I am not too sure. But well these are some recommendations for the younger male leads in the movie.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  04:15:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Hmm, female lead in the movie? Well, my recommendations are Kate Beckinsale and Liv Tyler, which I think are optimally suited for the movie.

Okay, no offense, but how can either of them be optimally suited for a movie, when said movie is barely a concept? We've not discussed plot or characters, so how can we be doing the casting?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  04:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well, my apologies to you, Wooly Rupert if I had missed a few facts.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  05:03:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Very well, my apologies to you, Wooly Rupert if I had missed a few facts.

No need to apologize... I just don't see how we can cast for roles that haven't even been created.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  05:05:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Okay, no offense, but how can either of them be optimally suited for a movie, when said movie is barely a concept? We've not discussed plot or characters, so how can we be doing the casting?

Spoken like a true producer. So, Producer Rupert....what do you envision as the plot?
Go to Top of Page

SomeDude
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  06:48:04  Show Profile  Visit SomeDude's Homepage Send SomeDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make the move canon. YOU would watch it, I know you would because you're reading this. Wasn't that the same concept behind 3.0/3.5?

This is the highest my post count has ever been.
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  12:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok
Cast
Vin Diesel as the Half-orc Barbarian
Natalie Portman as the rouge
Rosario Dawson as the Fighter/leader
Brad Pitt as the Cleric
Winona Ryder As the Half-elf Wizard

The CG should be as good as the dragons were in 'Reign Of Fire'.

I'd like the story to be done by either Frank Miller or Neil Gaimen.

Zero Camp!!!

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  18:08:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Spoken like a true producer. So, Producer Rupert....what do you envision as the plot?

Truly, I've no ideas for a plot... Trying to come up with movie plots isn't something I do.

But I do think that when we don't have a plot, it's kinda silly to worry about the characters. I'm of the opinion that plot comes first, and that characters should fit the plot.

Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  07:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize we are still short of a plot or any sort of storyline at all...(sorry Wooly ;))...but I thought of another good choice for the female lead, at least IMHO: Anna Paquin > Rogue in the X-Men movies.

quote:
Ok
Cast
Vin Diesel as the Half-orc Barbarian
Natalie Portman as the rouge
Rosario Dawson as the Fighter/leader
Brad Pitt as the Cleric
Winona Ryder As the Half-elf Wizard

The CG should be as good as the dragons were in 'Reign Of Fire'.

I really like your suggestions Weiser, I actually really liked Reign of Fire (I just recently watched it again)...What did I like best about it? It was actually serious, not a lot of campy, overly melodramatic, forced humor, PG-13'd nonsense. Plus the CG and special effects were very good, and it was cast well. I liked the mood, tone, and sense of constant danger and fear that were created or portrayed throughout the movie.

As far as a potential plotline, storyline, etc....In very broad strokes:

Main character good guys are members of the Harpers.
Main bad guys are members of the Zhentarim and the Cult of the Dragon.

Act one - One of the main characters is imprisoned, the audience is made to believe initially that this is a vile murderer and infamous villain. We later learn that this is a Harper assassin and the only people that he kills are in fact, villains themselves.
Act two - He escapes the noose or executioner's axe when a mysterious noblewoman intervenes and offers some substantial bribes for his release (we later learn she is secretly a member of the Cult of the Dragon whose mission is to infiltrate the Harpers and learn of the whereabouts of a powerful good dragon that they intend to turn to evil using a potent item and then persuade the newly turned dragon to become a dracolich). Meanwhile a nameless hooded man is executed in place of the Harper assassin and she safely transfers the Harper to an inn where they are able to speak to eachother.

Ok, this was all off the top of my head so feel free to say...that's a bunch of horse dung. Or, add to and refine it so that it starts to take on a bit of life...

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Go to Top of Page

Sholnfete
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Sholnfete's Homepage Send Sholnfete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's gonna have to be something world-threatning. Movies similar to the ideas of this one usually have this kind of situation to raise drama. A main character is going to die as well, crates drama/suspense and evokes watcher's emotions. But all of this would be a stereotypical fantasy movie or any movie really.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us from every corner.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:59:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sholnfete

Well, it's gonna have to be something world-threatning. Movies similar to the ideas of this one usually have this kind of situation to raise drama. A main character is going to die as well, crates drama/suspense and evokes watcher's emotions. But all of this would be a stereotypical fantasy movie or any movie really.

Why does it have to be world-threatening? It could just as readily be something that only affects a town or a country... We don't need yet another RSE.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  01:00:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why does it have to be world-threatening? It could just as readily be something that only affects a town or a country... We don't need yet another RSE.

Which begs a question....if it happens in an FR movie...is it canon?
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  01:54:27  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on... it must have the Red Wizards of Thay, and tons of flashy spells. That was what I hated about the original D&D movie (besides the terrible acting, abyssmal scripts...) too less magic!!! In the original D&D movie, there was only one instance where true magic was actually used (when the wizards cast fireballs at the dragons....the fireballs didn't even explode...). So this movie should have tons of magic (after all, FR is a high magic world).

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  01:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea...the spells were missing in the D&D movie. Maybe they should show the differences between a wizard and sorceror's spell casting? Instead of both just muttering something and a fireball poops out.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:15:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos
Maybe they should show the differences between a wizard and sorceror's spell casting?

I think that's getting too specific for any audience member that isn't familiar with the genre/setting.
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should have a fair amount of magical flash but it needs to be balanced against sword fighting, as that is a big part of FR as well. I'm tempted to say drittz should be in the film as he is very popular and would provide some very dynamic fighting bits.
If they can keep the explanation down to a minimum there'll be more room for story. I didn't mention stories in my last post because in the end I want the writer to make a coherent story that stands on it's own and not try to please everybody or end up with another 'aliens versus preadator'.
That's said I'd like to see (red/black)dragons, orc's(that look as they do on the cover of 'a thousand orcs'), elves and dark elves. The story should be a realms shaking event but not too big as to be silly or cheapen events(no army of spellfire weiding Lich's defeated at the last minute by Marlon Wayans as the wise-cracking 6th level rouge with a heart of gold).

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  05:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see how they make trolls with regards their regenerating capabilities. Come to think of it, if they can pull off making an illithid or two, I'd like to see how it ends up, especially if they can show how an illithid feeds on a victim's brain.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  11:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pardon, I am finding the recent replies very interesting. Hmm...what to be invloved in the movie? Why not recruit a few thornbacks into the scene, it would be nice to see them mind controlling a city or maybe some powerful beast. Maybe, the return of some dark immortal villains will be nice, or something that will make the movie the most realms shaking movie.*Just a suggestion*

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  20:47:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

We should have Pixar do it , since they are no longer under the Shadow of Disney, they should be able to have free reign to do what they want.

Pixar has been freed from the bateezu-controlled organisation also known as Disney! Everyone rejoice!
Ps. Those who want to hear one of disneys greatest screw-ups ever, raise your hands.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  20:50:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
Pixar has been freed from the bateezu-controlled organisation also known as Disney! Everyone rejoice!

I always knew Mickey was demonic.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  21:02:24  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I always knew Mickey was demonic.

Every single baatezu-fan on the board is going to rip you to shreds for calling the baatezu demons..............

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  21:03:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Every single baatezu-fan on the board is going to rip you to shreds for calling the baatezu demons..............

They aren't?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  21:20:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They aren't?

The Baatezu are devils, actually..........That`s a pretty big distinction for anyone who knows anthing at all about the blood war.......

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000