Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:07:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I hope WotC realizes, however, that the Candlekeep Compendium is non-profit and is thus some form of free advertisement for their own products.

While that makes sense, not everything WotC has done of late makes sense... And I know of some non-WotC IPs that their owners are quite fierce on having no material other than their own out there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  16:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I hope WotC realizes, however, that the Candlekeep Compendium is non-profit and is thus some form of free advertisement for their own products.

While that makes sense, not everything WotC has done of late makes sense...

Good point there Wooly

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  06:00:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh,

I actually wanna work on my articles again. :( and I've been making mental notes about some NPC's for my Laborers article(s).

SIGH.

Wish Wizards could release their fan policy!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:06:37  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep writing! When fan policy comes, you should have 10 compendiuns to post! ;)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel Kuje (except in my case, I have written a rather large article that I wrote almost a year ago that I sent to Alaundo and he said it would make the next Compendium - although this was just when 4E was about to release and things got on hold)....but I do have some other ideas in mind, especially to expand on my yet to be released article. Hurry Wizards hurry with that fan policy darnit!!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Admin and/or Mods,

Does it exist a copyright about CK's compendium ?
What I'd like to know is "Do you mind if I translate few articles into a French website ?"

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  22:56:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Dear Admin and/or Mods,

Does it exist a copyright about CK's compendium ?
What I'd like to know is "Do you mind if I translate few articles into a French website ?"

The blurb on the back page of each issue reads:

quote:
Copyright Notice

The material contained in this document remains the property of the respective authors. This document and its content can not be reproduced or contained on any other web site or location without first obtaining permission from Candlekeep.

So I'm guessing that Big Al would need to give his okay, and then the individual authors would have to give theirs, too.

I once found a reference to one of my articles on a Chinese website. That was really cool.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Wooly.
Sorry for having missed to look for the info by my self.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:59:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Thanks a lot Wooly.
Sorry for having missed to look for the info by my self.

No worries. Sometimes things get overlooked.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  12:35:04  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope the Fan policy comes out soon. Maybe I can inquire with WotC while at Gen Con? I would really love to contribute to this project. I have a ton of material!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  13:33:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... Matt, I've been the one posting the fan-site policy 'bumps' over on the WotC boards. The updates we've been getting from Scott Rouse are pretty much it. It's been stuck in Legal for a while now.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  11:37:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bumping this scroll, it's gotten a little dusty ...

Is there any word on the status of Candlekeep Compendium? Is it abandoned?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  12:24:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original version is still in limbo. But Matt James' "Compendium" project is still moving forward, as far as I know.

Any new developments, Matt?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2010 :  14:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone willing to venture into Limbo to save it???

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  23:06:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, well, it's been more than a tenday now. I'm guessing this is a dead scroll and CK-X has been abandoned indefinitely. I offer my own services to assist in the project, as humble and outdated as my lore might be.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, last any of us have heard, WotC's fansite policy was (and is) not particularly high on their to-do list, and any official compendium will have to wait on said currently-not-extant policy.

It's a bummer, as most of us scribes might agree.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  00:44:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Aha, well, it's been more than a tenday now. I'm guessing this is a dead scroll and CK-X has been abandoned indefinitely.
Never abandoned. It's simply still in publishing limbo, as I said earlier.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  12:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arik, you will have to drive to Wizards HQ and demand in person that they release the policy. It is being held there in captivity by the Hasbro team.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  00:17:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha convince the wizards to release something that might - one day, perhaps - be used to generate power and wealth? I'd probably have better luck driving to Shadowdale to demand in person that Elminster gives me his pipe. It seems highly improbable I'd succeed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  19:05:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netbooks can still be published - we just can't involve CK.

Snowblood's been doing a fine job of it all by himself, and Dalor Darden's Ixinos supplement is also noteworthy. Also, lets not forget Lord Karsus' fine Elves of Faerun.

We just can't, unfortunately, use this site to host them anymore, which is sad because it lent them (and it's contributors) some credibility.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  18:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Netbooks can still be published - we just can't involve CK.

Snowblood's been doing a fine job of it all by himself, and Dalor Darden's Ixinos supplement is also noteworthy. Also, lets not forget Lord Karsus' fine Elves of Faerun.

We just can't, unfortunately, use this site to host them anymore, which is sad because it lent them (and it's contributors) some credibility.

Why not?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  11:16:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess it's because Wizbro aggressively protects the brand with NDAs that restrict what many of our foremost CK scribes can divulge.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  23:48:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because they are being very non-specific about fan-sites, allowing then to 'target them as needed'. Creating a very specific fansite policy allows people to find 'loopholes', so leaving everything vague leaves the ball entirely in their court.

CandleKeep no longer knows exactly what it is allowed to do at this point, which is even worse then knowing what it can't do. They've basically placed us in a state of suspended animation.

Its brilliant, really. They hold all the cards.

I applaud them for doing something right (from a purely business PoV).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  11:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! They like Candlekeep. If they hated us, they would have attacked the prior volumes of the Compendium. I'm going with what Matt said (which feels like forevor ago) and agree we should go ahead. Just put a fanlore notice or something on the cover, I dunno. Some kind of idea like that if anyone has one that is better.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  11:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and keep it crunch free (all fluffy fan made lore).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  12:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bah! They like Candlekeep. If they hated us, they would have attacked the prior volumes of the Compendium.

We know they tolerate us. I haven't seen enough info to say whether or not they like us.

But considering the sometimes strong anti-4E sentiment, I doubt we're their favorite fan site.

Prior volumes of the Compendium were released before 4E -- before the negativity, before the "fan site kit" that basically said you couldn't criticize them, and before WotC had some websites shut down. It's a different world, now.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  13:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We know they tolerate us. I haven't seen enough info to say whether or not they like us.down. It's a different world, now.

Well we are aknowledged in many of the novels (not just from the authors themselves).

quote:
But considering the sometimes strong anti-4E sentiment, I doubt we're their favorite fan site.down. It's a different world, now.

Yeah, but surely they must know that not all of us here are anti-4E??

quote:
Prior volumes of the Compendium were released before 4E -- before the negativity, before the "fan site kit" that basically said you couldn't criticize them, and before WotC had some websites shut down. It's a different world, now.

Couldn't they attack those now anyways (in a ret-con sort of way)?? there wouldn't be any criticism in the Compendium. The sites that were shut down were mostly ones that broke copyright laws (full access to powers) or had their own character builders. Basically, stuff that would cause Wizards to lose money, whereas the Compendium, if anything (with some printed FR books coming our way), would potentially help renew interest in the Realms and make them money. That's how I see it anyways

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  15:29:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlisttairWell we are aknowledged in many of the novels (not just from the authors themselves).

Actually, the only acknowledgments that Candlekeep (the site/forums) we have are from the authors. Candlekeep the place was around in the Realms and is the basis for the website, not vice versa.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  15:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Couldn't they attack those now anyways (in a ret-con sort of way)?? there wouldn't be any criticism in the Compendium. The sites that were shut down were mostly ones that broke copyright laws (full access to powers) or had their own character builders. Basically, stuff that would cause Wizards to lose money, whereas the Compendium, if anything (with some printed FR books coming our way), would potentially help renew interest in the Realms and make them money. That's how I see it anyways

If it was so, I don't understand the Compendium being put on a shelf. It does not violate copyright nor does it cause WotC to lose money.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  15:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by AlisttairWell we are aknowledged in many of the novels (not just from the authors themselves).

Actually, the only acknowledgments that Candlekeep (the site/forums) we have are from the authors. Candlekeep the place was around in the Realms and is the basis for the website, not vice versa.

I know that. I mean that some authors aknowledge candlekeep.com the site with thanks, while other novels have a quote from Alaundo with candlekeep.com written (the one from this website) on the back cover or inside somewhere(see Richard Lee Byers novels) where he speaks of Unholy or one of the Haunted Lands books. Correct me if I am wrong, but that addition to the book, wouldn't it be an executive or editorial move (which are WotC employees, not freelancers like the author himself)???

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000