Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Promise of the Witch King - new Salvatore novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taliferno
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  12:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Taliferno's Homepage Send Taliferno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My apologies if this has been posted before, but I've only just noticed it on amazon.

Seems like this is Salvatores book for this year (its available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk, though no cover or info for it yet) coming out as a hardcover in October.

Since the only Witch King I know of is that Zhengi fellow, I'm guessing its about him, and correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Salvatore write the bloodstone modules?

If it is then I'll be interested in buying it, especially if it is set after the Damara incidents in The Rite.

Edited by - Alaundo on 18 Feb 2005 13:59:30

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  14:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye for the information, Taliferno. Indeed, this does sound very interesting. I'd certainly like to read of more of Damara, especially following that which was written in The Rite.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  18:59:16  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And thus the Drizzt novels fall further behind the rest of the Realms.

Anyways, Bob updated RASalvatore.Com 3 days ago with this info. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 18 Feb 2005 19:00:36
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  21:14:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... "Promise of the Witch-King"? First of all, isn't Zhengyi, the Witch-King that we all know of, was killed by Gareth Dragonsbane and his friends?

It would however, be nice to see RAS write some FR novels that don't necessarily involve Drizzt or constant swordplays.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  22:43:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

It would however, be nice to see RAS write some FR novels that don't necessarily involve Drizzt or constant swordplays.

I'll agree with that... But then, I've long been arguing that Drizzt has too much air-time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with DDH as well.If it does pertain to Zhengyi,then it most likely would be set before the events of The Rite.That's just my guess.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  01:06:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And with all due respect to R A Salvatore, I hope he:

a) Doesn't bring back Zhengyi

b) Attaches a date to his writings (which other writers in FR seem to need to do but he gets an exemption nearly every time)

c) Stays out of Impiltur

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  01:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not knowing anything for sure--but having heard quite a few things at GenCon when smuggled where I didn't truly belong --I'm fairly sure that Bob's novel:

a) will have a bit to do with the Cold Lands (Narfell, Vaasa and Damara), but not Impiltur (breathe, George, I beg you),

b) may feature some established characters, rather than introducing an entirely new cast, and

c) will bring Salvatore's novels closer to the current time, not farther away.

--Begin Speculation--
I am not convinced that the title Promise of the Witch-King has much to do with a "living," "breathing" Witch-King at all, but instead the legacy of chaos and ruin left behind in the wake of his fall some fifteen years ago, and the ability of certain opportunistic individuals to exploit the lack of leadership in his former realm...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  03:35:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
--Begin Speculation--
I am not convinced that the title Promise of the Witch-King has much to do with a "living," "breathing" Witch-King at all, but instead the legacy of chaos and ruin left behind in the wake of his fall some fifteen years ago, and the ability of certain opportunistic individuals to exploit the lack of leadership in his former realm...

I like the sound of all that. And it is interesting that one of R A's semi-recent short stories had Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle in Vaasa ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  04:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree that the novel will likely feature Artemis and Jarlaxle, since those two have been hanging out in Damara since after the events of Servant of the Shard. They are still there, and RAS's timeline is a bit behind: the most recent J&A story took place in 1368, and in Damara. Therefore, I don't think the book will take place after the Rage, unless RAS has the book jump ahead of his current timeline by 5 years.

And a book about Artemis and Jarlaxle is welcome. After all his Drizzt books, it will be refreshing to read about a couple of anti-heroes, and I'm a Jarlaxle fan.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  05:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

c) Stays out of Impiltur

Relax George RAS isnt writing anything in Impiltur......They gave that job to Troy Denning!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  05:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I heard about him being killed before, I sorta thought that this promise has to do with some sort of promise he made when he fell. Hopefully he isn't resurrected though.

Btw, what's up with Impiltur? Pardon my n00bishness but I'm kinda foreign to much Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  05:42:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

--Begin Speculation--

Knowing only what's in this thread, this was also my first line of reasoning.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  05:45:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

c) Stays out of Impiltur

Relax George RAS isnt writing anything in Impiltur......They gave that job to Troy Denning!

Oh, now that was just evil. I salute you for it!

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  22:34:55  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well kudos to Gareth,Imean Garen for figuring out that it would involve J&A.I totally forgot about them being in Vaasa/Damara region.That's awesome,and I can't wait for it.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  10:32:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

But a good joke, nonetheless. You were joking right ...?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Decomp
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  02:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Decomp's Homepage Send Decomp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would love to see RAS do some more novels with Luthien! Does anyone agree that he was one of the greatest characters RAS ever devised?

"so many humans...so few recipes"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000