Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Sean K Reynolds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Sean K Reynolds. Sean worked at TSR\WotC for many years on numerous roles, and has a vast array of products to his name. Some of which are: Cloak and Dagger, Unapproachable East, Lords of Darkness, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2005 06:30:23

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:27:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me first!

Can you say anything about what Magic Book of Faerūn we'll see next?

Also, I love the magic blades on your website... Is that going to be updated soon?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:54:22  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
{Can you say anything about what Magic Book of Faerūn we'll see next?}

It's a Setite book. As most of the relevant Mulhorandi spells are already converted to 3E or are redundant with other 3E spells, there's only one new spell in it. To make up for that, you get the Mulhorandi Divine Minion template, and the guardian is a corrupted hound archon who used to be of Anubis in service to Nephthys (yeah, I know Anubis didn't come to the Realms, just read the article when it's posted).

{Also, I love the magic blades on your website... Is that going to be updated soon?}

I have three left before I finish the "top 30" shown on the site. I would like to get to it soon (and finish out the series), but real-world circumstances mean I probably won't get the chance to do so until at least March.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  01:00:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

{Can you say anything about what Magic Book of Faerūn we'll see next?}

It's a Setite book. As most of the relevant Mulhorandi spells are already converted to 3E or are redundant with other 3E spells, there's only one new spell in it. To make up for that, you get the Mulhorandi Divine Minion template, and the guardian is a corrupted hound archon who used to be of Anubis in service to Nephthys (yeah, I know Anubis didn't come to the Realms, just read the article when it's posted).

Ooh, that sounds really interesting... The Magic Books series have been among my fave web supplements.

quote:
Originally posted by seankreynolds

{Also, I love the magic blades on your website... Is that going to be updated soon?}

I have three left before I finish the "top 30" shown on the site. I would like to get to it soon (and finish out the series), but real-world circumstances mean I probably won't get the chance to do so until at least March.

Ach, that draws vacuum...

After the top 30 is done, then what? More blades, or a new project?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  11:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a nice confusing mess for you Sean

Regarding the spell Bladebane in Unapproachable east

Can this spell be applied to Blunt weapons? (or is there another version that can be applied to blunt weapons?)

as I see it there are 3 options

1) Errata the Bladebane spell rename it Weapon Bane and the spell when its cast it can be applied to any one weapon regardles of type

2) Its still one spell but when the caster memorises it he has to choose which weapon type version of the spell he wants

3) Its 3 seperate spells each has to be recorded seperately ie Bladebane, BluntBane and Piercingbane now for divine spell casters this isnt much more of a problem than option 2 however it would be a pain for a Wizard (who would have to get all 3 versions in his spell book) and a colossal pain in the ass for Sorcerer (who would have to use up 3 of his valueable known spell slots)

Finally is the Bladebane spell even valid anymore?

In Unapproachable east its a third level spell which gives the caster a choice of what race they want the Bane ability to apply to

In Libris Mortis we have a 4th level cleric/3rd level Paladin spell called Undead Bane weapon and it differes from Bladebane in the following ways

Spell level

Bladebane: 3rd level cleric, 2nd level Paladin, 4th level Sorcerer/Wizard

Undead Bane weapon: 4th level Cleric, 3rd level Paladin

Duration

Bladebane: 1 round per level

Undead weapon Bane: 1 hour per level

How it works

Bladebane: Can only be applied to Slashing weapon but race the bane is against can be chosen at the time you cast the spell

Undead Bane weapon: Increases the enchantment bonus of the weapon by 2, it can be applied to any weapon regardless of type.\ and it only works on undead.

Regarding, Undead Bane weapon, are we going to see seperate spell version of each race of this spell?

ie

Aberration Bane Weapon
Animals Bane Weapon
Constructs Bane Weapon
Dragons Bane Weapon
Elementals Bane Weapon
Fey Bane Weapon
Giants Bane Weapon
etc.....

The Bane special weapon ability is broken down into 31 different races....31 different spells??

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  15:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On bladebane:

1) "Can this spell be applied to Blunt weapons? (or is there another version that can be applied to blunt weapons?)"

No. The spell is very clear about this.

2) "Finally is the Bladebane spell even valid anymore? In Libris Mortis we have a 4th level cleric/3rd level Paladin spell called Undead Bane weapon."

If you recall, or wish to check, undead bane weapon originated in Magic of Faerūn (and possibly Ghostwalk, but I've misplaced my copy), where it was a paladin 3 spell with a duration of 1 hour/level, and had additional effects. The Libris Mortis version is an update of that spell, but it doesn't invalidate the bladebane spell; they are different spells of different levels with different durations and effects.

3) "Regarding, Undead Bane weapon, are we going to see seperate spell version of each race of this spell? ... The Bane special weapon ability is broken down into 31 different races....31 different spells?"

No. That's the reason for spells like bladebane: to limit the number of specific-bane spells. It's feasible someone could research a bunch of spells, but each spell is extremely limited in versatility and usefulness.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  21:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So "Blunt Bane" and "Piercing Bane" would have to be researched as additional spells?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  21:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
So "Blunt Bane" and "Piercing Bane" would have to be researched as additional spells?
Theoretically speaking, yes.
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  22:16:02  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what I'm going to do after the 30th Blade. I have a lot going on right now. :)

As for the bladebane spell, think of it this way: a spell that can do 1d6 fire damage is less powerful than a spell that can do 1d6 damage in any type of energy of the caster's choice. The second spell would be a higher level than the first one. Versatility increases the overall spell level of the spell. Likewise, a bladebane spell only affects slashing weapons. A weaponbane spell that affected any kind of weapon would be more powerful, more versatile, and thus higher level.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  03:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Sean Id like to hear your take on this

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4044

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  03:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is currently a debate going on in the FR chat forum over whether Paladins can keep slaves and whether they can do mercy killings. One of the posters kept refering back to 1st edition Paladin's code to justify what they can and cant do

To me what a paladin can and cant do should depend on the Deity he serves, a one sizes fits all Paladins code just doesnt work, especially given the sheer number of Deities in the realms that have Paladin orders

So my question

Does Champions of Valor have a does and do donts for the various Paladin orders?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:48:53  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, mainly because CoV focuses on valorous behavior rather than just good behavior.

I believe we write a little bit (sometimes just a paragraph) on each of the paladin orders described in the F&P web enhancement, but we don't go into details on the tenets of each order. That sort of thing would make a good series of web articles (I had suggested something similar to the WotC web team, perhaps it's time for other people to get on board with that idea).
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  10:14:03  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Sean,

Will there be any Helm-themed material in CoV? Helm did not get a lot of love since 3rd Ed came out and I was wondering if we might hope for a guild or an order to be fleshed out (maybe a PrC?).

In advance, thanks for your reply.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  10:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Dear Sean,

Will there be any Helm-themed material in CoV? Helm did not get a lot of love since 3rd Ed came out and I was wondering if we might hope for a guild or an order to be fleshed out (maybe a PrC?).

In advance, thanks for your reply.

Bocklin

On the 10th April in CoV thread in th FR Products forum

I posted the following exract from Seans forums

"There is definitely some cool stuff for Helmites in the book. Every paladin order gets something, even if it's a generic "here's what a generic paladin order feat gives you." Many specific orders (such as the Vigilant Eyes of Helm) get stuff especially for them."

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  10:30:44  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dargoth. I hadn't seen that one.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  14:06:23  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There ya go. :)
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  18:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean- Not sure if your popping in here or not.

The three sub-groups of the Fangshields, the Wolfpack, centaur tribe, and Giant Eagles (I'm zoning on the group names), Where is each based out of in the realms???
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  19:33:51  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have this thread set to notify me on new posts. :)

I deliberately didn't include specific location for those three units of the Fangshields so Dms could place them anywhere convenient to their campaign without having to conflict with canon. I didn't even give them regional feats just in case someone decided to transplant them to a region that didn't have those feats. :p
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  22:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought that might be the case but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I'm fleshing out the Shining Plains inside my head right now. I don't like their current state as 'Just like the Shaar, only smaller'.

I'm going with:

Shining Plains: Centaurs
Shaar: Wemics

Shining Plains: Shifters (on my conception Mongrel beast men type creatures who have interbred with the intelligent animals around them. Reclusive, and Persecuted by the Chondathan humans of the Vilhon and Dragon Coast. Alignment N and CN mainly) I'm thinking of them using somekind of funky weapon, maybe Harpoon's and/or nets. I'll probably switch favored class to barbarian and let them shift/rage together.
Shaar: Mongol Horde/Tuigan type Nomad Stereotypes.

I might add some little people too, living in some kind of Symbiotic Relationship with the Centaurs, i.e. Centaurs with Warsling Snipers on their backs.

Or maybe a race of 'Plains' Gnomes, with +8 on their hide in the plains, using illusions to keep their villages hidden.
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  22:55:47  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool. :) Anything that gets centaurs out of the forests now and then is good in my book! (After all, horses prefer open land where they can see predators and not run into trees if they have to flee.)
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  11:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the changes made to Faerun's cosmology in 3rd Edition and the statement that the Forgotten Realms has always used the Tree Cosmology as opposed to the Great Wheel, a large amount of Lore from 2nd edition (and maybe some from 1st edition - Ive never seen any of that stuff), mainly that which deals with the Planes and Planar events is now not applicable to the current version of the Realms.

Are there any plans to detail lore about these now mysterious events/locales/beings for the new FR cosmology? Or is it going to be left deliberately vague for DM's/Novellists to invent with?

Edited by - Paj on 25 Apr 2006 13:44:50
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  17:04:49  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First, I'd disagree that there is a "large amount" of planar-related material that is "not applicable." Tyr's realm still looks like Tyr's realm, it's just not in the Great Wheel, and so on.

As to plans about detailing the Tree cosmology, I haven't been an employee at WotC in over four years so I really don't know what future plans they have for the FR line.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  19:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean- I gotta say champions of valor is becoming one of my favorite books, the changes in the main classes with the substitution levels are great and really add alot of flavor to the various paladin orders without being 'must have' munchkin type stuff.

My question is about exalted feats-

There are lots of FR feats which would seem to be pretty usefull as exalted feats, I was actually kind of surprised that 'Silver Blood' and 'Silver Fang' are not exalted feats. Anyways do you have a short list in your head of FR feats that might be used as 'Exalted Feats', To my mind the whole slew of Aasimar related feats from races of faerun would be good candidates, i.e. Celestial Bloodline and Outsider Wings.

So I guess I what I am really asking is did you compile a list of FR feats that are also exalted feats when making the book, maybe they got cut for room. Anyways, how strict do you think we should be on letting things count as 'Exalted Feats' ?

Anyways, I'm just trying to bring some reason to the character gerrymandering one has to do to use that BoED and the FR material, i.e. If I take one level of blah and one other level of blah, then I can take the Harper Paragon.

Also one more quick one, why doesn't the Harper Paragon on their skill list? If you were going to go into harper paragon using a psionic class (PsiWar) and got rid of 'Celestial Spellcasting' is it fair to add it back???

Anyways, let me know what you think if your get a chance.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  20:47:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

To my mind the whole slew of Aasimar related feats from races of faerun would be good candidates, i.e. Celestial Bloodline and Outsider Wings.
Funny you mentioned that: I have allowed those feats to qualify as Exalted feats in my campaign. The player was a monk/paladin of Horus-Re with the Vow of Poverty feat, and wanted to take the Celestial Bloodline/Eyes of Light/Outsider Wings with the Bonus Feats he got through the Vow of Poverty progression. I allowed these promptly, as there isn't anything more 'exalted', in my humble opinion, than a monk who suddenly burst wings at a critical point in a battle versus evil!
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  23:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah thats what I'm thinking too,

Ålthough, I'm thinking about a clawed, CG, PsyWarrior Aasimar flying in and doing the same thing.

By the way the term 'spot' should have been in the question about the harper paragon.
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  02:37:59  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just so you I got an email notification of these new questions, but I'm going to be really busy for the next two days and won't be able to answer it until then.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  14:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean, just figured I'd bug you to see what you think about some of those racial specific feats counting as exalted feats. :)
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello :)
I have one little question for Sean.
Can you say something about Gurz Grep - the most famous servant of Olidammara, slaad who was mentioned by You in Dragon #342.
I would be very grateful.

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:29:56  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, what would you like me to say? I invented him for the article, so anything additional I tell you now will be made up by me on the spot. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  12:56:08  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious, Sean. Has anybody over at Wizards ever drawn a map of the city of Eryndlyn? I noticed in one of the War of the Spider Queen books, I think it was Extinction, that the "Plaza that surrounds the five pillars", is mentioned. Were any notes on details and such ever made for the city by yous guys and just not put into print?
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  14:45:51  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In most cases we only do maps if we plan to use them in a product (cartography resources are scarce and expensive so we use them carefully). I don't know of any maps of that place that were done during my time at TSR or WotC.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000