Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  19:45:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Yeah, it would have been fun to do one on monsters, but TSR didn't ask for it and, to be honest, I was fairly burned out on deity write-ups by that point.

Lately I've been really wishing there was a "Orcs and Goblinoids" supplement in 3.5e, focusing on their racial variant classes, magic items, culture, etc.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...) If you look at it in the context of the paragraph, I was basically saying that in Sshamath, there is much more freedom to worship, be it a surface god of magic or even an elven deity of magic. The latter they dress up as "obscure demipowers" rather than just admit they are worshiping elven gods.
(...)
--Eric

I always wanted to understand better this statement, it's good to have it clarified. And Mr. Boyd, thank you for your work in the "Faiths & Avatars" series, I think it is THE reference on gods and religion in the Realms (even more to a 2e DM). I only regret that there are no updates to many "Monster Mythology" deities that are mentioned, especially in Demihuman Deities. I've made myself one entry, and adapted some I found over the internet (at least one was the work of Thomas Costa, I liked it but found it a little overpowered).

An Orcs and Goblinoids supplement would be really cool. We've seen hints over the years that they aren't all just brutal savages. Granted, we have Obould's empire, but there's little snippets like how orcs of the Desertmouth Mountains have a crude imitation of Cormry's royal court. A Demihuman Deities type writeup for the faiths and maybe even details on various orc clans and holds. Maybe with 5E coming we'll see some of these classics revived and it can get squeezed in.

Thank you Eric for the info on the Spidersblood Pact, very cool. I never considered adding a magical component to it, because they were listed as only 12 when they did it. Makes sense to have the agreement have some "teeth" in it, otherwise it probably wouldn't work.

And speaking of the Monster Mythology book. I'm surprised we haven't seen more done with the Derro and their gods. There's so very little known about them and they're such an interesting, homicidal little race.

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Jun 2012 19:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  20:50:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

And speaking of the Monster Mythology book. I'm surprised we haven't seen more done with the Derro and their gods. There's so very little known about them and they're such an interesting, homicidal little race.

Pathfinder did a nice job re-imagining derro, in Classic Horrors Revisited. I never liked derro until I read that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  04:50:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Collars of Companionship
========================
Price (Item Level): 10,800 gp (13th)
Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) transmutation [air]
Activation: Swift (command)
Weight: —

This is an identical pair of silver torcs, each engraved with images of various animals (bears, boars, wolves, etc.)

This pair of magically linked collars are intended to be worn by a nature-oriented character (e.g. druid, ranger) and his animal companion, an arcane spellcaster (e.g. sorcerer, wizard) and his familiar, or a paladin and his mount. When two creatures are linked by such a bond, a pair of collars of companionship gives them the ability to communicate at will in messages of 25 words or less at a range of up to 3 miles. If the animal does not normally speak, the collars of companionship give the ability to speak in this fashion with his or her master.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, speak with animals, whispering wind.
Cost to Create: 5,400 gp, 432 XP, 11 days.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  15:57:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best line of the campaign yet (from my daughter).

Me: "What do you want for your birthday?"

Her: "Not much. I think I have enough already. But maybe I could get a really cool magic item for my character?"

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  19:27:06  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Best line of the campaign yet (from my daughter).

Me: "What do you want for your birthday?"

Her: "Not much. I think I have enough already. But maybe I could get a really cool magic item for my character?"

Heheheh! Cute!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  21:37:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hazards
Grave Moss (CR 1): Grave moss, dark green in hue, is a type of magical moss often found in dark, moist environments. It is believed to be the byproduct of repeated necromantic spells cast in shadowy graveyards, but it is not restricted to such environments.
Grave moss leaches lifeforce from living creatures that remain in contact with it for too long. Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail. The sound attracts nearby creatures that are disposed to investigate it. Some creatures that live near grave moss come to learn that the fungus’s noise means there is food nearby. Many necromancers have deliberately placed grave moss in their lairs to act as an early warning system. It can be induced to grow by placing it on stone or earth and immediately casting a necromancy spell (any will do) while in direct physical contact with it.
Grave moss is affected by any spell that affects plants (consider it to have 1 hp per 10-foot-square area). Direct, long-term (2d6 days) exposure to sunlight also kills grave moss.
Faint necromancy; CL 1st.

--
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  02:33:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you allow less than 5 uses per day, it's you multiply the price by X/5, where X<5 is the number of uses per day.
Oops. I misglanced "÷" as "+" because X/5/Y was rather unexpected. Had to be half asleep to not see it must be a direct proportion. Still, 4.5x overshot.
quote:

Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail.
Wait, if it starts screaming at a touch, how anyone not deaf or paralyzed would be drained more than 1 hp?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's unlikely they would. It's a "keep moving on" effect and a warning effect. The only reason you would stay in place is if you were searching for something (secret door) or opening something (locked door).

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

If you allow less than 5 uses per day, it's you multiply the price by X/5, where X<5 is the number of uses per day.
Oops. I misglanced "÷" as "+" because X/5/Y was rather unexpected. Had to be half asleep to not see it must be a direct proportion. Still, 4.5x overshot.
quote:

Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail.
Wait, if it starts screaming at a touch, how anyone not deaf or paralyzed would be drained more than 1 hp?

--
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  05:31:44  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,
I was wondering if you could tell us what the 'arcane power' thinga-ma-whatsit was that Halaster sacrificed himself (to/for/in order to stave off) in Expedition to Undermountain?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  08:08:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the Spellplague.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  21:30:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Eric!

I have a few questions about Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, specifically about the Curse of Irphong. Have either the dragon turtle or the kraken who took these titles been given "real" names, or (to your knowledge) been referenced in other books? Is the title older than the dragon turtle mentioned in the Guide? And lastly it mentions that the kraken took the dragon turtle's place seven years ago... am I assuming correctly that this means 1363/1364 DR? (Drizzt's letter to Alustriel in the intro is dated in the last days of 1370)

Thank you! and grats on 1000 posts.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  14:41:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glanderultok

I found that THO had mentioned previously that you "drew a blank" on this Underdark City...

However, I'm hoping you can tell me a snippet or two of information. Anything at all?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:03:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Glanderultok

I found that THO had mentioned previously that you "drew a blank" on this Underdark City...

However, I'm hoping you can tell me a snippet or two of information. Anything at all?

I found an old file that indicates it's a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Well met Eric!

I have a few questions about Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, specifically about the Curse of Irphong. Have either the dragon turtle or the kraken who took these titles been given "real" names, or (to your knowledge) been referenced in other books? Is the title older than the dragon turtle mentioned in the Guide? And lastly it mentions that the kraken took the dragon turtle's place seven years ago... am I assuming correctly that this means 1363/1364 DR? (Drizzt's letter to Alustriel in the intro is dated in the last days of 1370)

Thank you! and grats on 1000 posts.

As far as I can tell, at least through 3.5e, no one has updated the Curse of Irphong since the brief mention in DDGttU. I've always thought krakens took odd names that other races might consider titles, so "Curse of Irphong" probably *is* that kraken's name now.

I hadn't ever considered whether the "Curse of Irphong" title might be older than the dragon turtle. I would check Lands of Intrigue and FR3 - Empires of the Sands first to see what the write-ups look like and whether they allow for the possibility. If they do, that might be something to ask Ed, as I'm not sure what material FR3 was built off of that he had written.

And thanks on the post count! Hadn't noticed that.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  21:59:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would check Lands of Intrigue and FR3 - Empires of the Sands first to see what the write-ups look like and whether they allow for the possibility.

Thanks! I hadn't thought to look for it in earlier sources. Looks pretty open to me; I'll drop a query on Ed's evergrowing inbox.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  22:39:43  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have an glaring hole in my Myth Drannor lore, and it
appears that only you can fill it.

In the Last Dragon, where you and Ed write about Myth Drannor, there is a new map
(which I need a copy of, if you have any pull left in WOTC), and in the house
that used to belong to House Symbaern, there is now a House Orangyl. Can you PLEASE!!!
give us anything you have on this house. I've check over ever.ything I have and I
have never heard of this family before. Thank you so much
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  23:07:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Eric, I have an glaring hole in my Myth Drannor lore, and it
appears that only you can fill it.

In the Last Dragon, where you and Ed write about Myth Drannor, there is a new map
(which I need a copy of, if you have any pull left in WOTC), and in the house
that used to belong to House Symbaern, there is now a House Orangyl. Can you PLEASE!!!
give us anything you have on this house. I've check over ever.ything I have and I
have never heard of this family before. Thank you so much

It's a Sembian merchant house, one of three that have established a presence in the city after allying with the Crusade and supplying them with armaments. There's a section on the Sembians in the work I turned over. Not sure what made it into print.

The reason they were allowed to take over an elven house is presumably because that house is either extinct or no longer interested in the property.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  23:28:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, so much. Now I know what direction to go in
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  00:53:44  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you spare any other info about them?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  01:09:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Can you spare any other info about them?

I think that's all there was. I don't think any Sembian houses were named in Rich Baker's novels, but I supposed you could check there, just in case.

--
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  01:57:54  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There wasn't. I just make them a hidden evil kind of sembian house looking
to take Myth Drannor over. I'm just not as good as Ed making circle in circles
kinds of stories, but Ill think of something.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  23:21:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rewrote the "Voices of the Lost" Perilous Portal article to make it more consistent with existing Realmslore and to revert it back to 1357 DR (not 1372 DR or whenever it was presumably current in its original incarnation).

===

Voices of the Lost
==================
One of Illefarn's most famous song paths was called "Voices of the Lost" after the song that activated it, the song that the portal system was meant to showcase. Created in -1517 DR, it was not deactivated when the kingdom was abandoned circa -1100 DR. The Illefarni noble in charge of disenchanting this song path could not bear to carry out his orders, and instead he simply took with him all available copies of the poetic work that activated the portal system so that no one but the elves would make use of the portals. He further separated all copies of the poem into smaller parts, so no whole version of it remained in existence, then scattered them across various elven libraries. After his actions, the “Voices of the Lost” song path fell into disuse for centuries, all but forgotten.

Description

Written by a master bard late in Illefarn's history, "Voices of the Lost" is uncomfortably prophetic, a characteristic typical of this realm’s finest artistic efforts. In “Voices of the Lost,” a human wanderer finds a broad, weathered stone in a field on which elven runes can barely be seen. He reads of an elven kingdom in a primeval forest that once rose where the stone lay, a kingdom of such grandeur that the wanderer is staggered and awed by the story. That night, the wanderer falls asleep on the stone and has a magic dream in which he journeys into the distant past to speak with the elves of this kingdom and tell them of their fate. The wanderer hopes to prevent the fall of this realm, but the elves already know their fate and have elected not to stop it. The wanderer, amazed and frustrated, travels even further back in time, meeting coronals and mages all the way back to the realm’s founding, but all of the elves questioned have at least an inkling of what is to come, and they accept it without question.
By the song's end, the wanderer realizes that the elves, rather than attempting to prevent the death of their civilization, elected instead to manage the life of their kingdom so that it reflected the best of their ideals at all times, even at its end. The elves avoided the excesses in magic and temperament that doomed other cultures before and after them, adhering to their better nature to the end and rejecting hatred and bitterness at the natural cycles of growth and death. At the kingdom's end, its people scatter and plant the seeds for later kingdoms that will rise to even greater achievements, influencing history, civilization, and people on a gigantic scale. The wanderer awakens, a sad but wise man, and follows the example of the Fair Folk of Illefarn in living his life well while also ensuring the world will be a better place long after he dies and his name is forgotten.

Portal Network

The song path created to accompany “Voices of the Lost” follows the path of the River Delimbiyr by means of a chain of one-way portals. Each portal is tied to a large circular block of polished marble about 9 feet across and encircled with carved Hamarfae script. The fourth portal stone, which sits atop the Shining Falls, is unlike the others, dating back to a much earlier era.
Activating each portal requires an individual to stand upon a portal stone while singing a particular set of stanzas from “Voices of the Lost” in Seldruin, an ancient elven tongue long associated with elven high magic. Once the set of stanzas associated with the portal are completed, the singer and any other living creatures in contact with the stone are then sent to the next portal.

Locations

Currently, the “Voices of the Lost” song path links six locations in a one-way chain, although originally it included seven locations, forming a loop. The song path’s remaining portal stones span the length of the River Delimbiyr, which serves as a metaphor for the passage of time, starting with the kingdom late in its history, tracing its history back to its origins, before jumping ahead in time to the anticipated fall of the realm. The entire cycle using the portals took about six hours on the average, counting periods of silence for reflection and rest.

1. Aelinthaldaarnar
The portal system for "Voices of the Lost" originally began in Aelinthaldaar, capital of Illefarn. The first portal stone, known as Aelinthaldaarnar (literally “Stone of Aelinthaldaar”) originally lay in a broad meadow from which no trace of the buildings of the city could be seen.
Long after Aelinthaldaar had been abandoned, the broken remains of the first portal stone were built into the streets of Waterdeep’s Sea Ward. This portal stone no longer functions, although a few pieces might be recognizable thanks to the faint, fragmentary Hamarfae inscription.
The first set of stanzas of "Voices of the Lost" (taking about 15 minutes to recite) recounts the wanderer’s discovery of the stone at night. In addition to singing the initial stanzas, the wanderer needed to fall asleep atop the stone to trigger the portal. Now these stanzas serve as a nonessential introduction to the second set of stanzas.

2. Delimbiyr’ter’ael
When the song path was created, the second portal stone lay in the flood plain of the River Delimbiyr, covered each year by the spring floods, near a crossing known as Delimbiyr’ter’ael (literally: “Shining Whetstone”) to the Fair Folk (a term that has long since fallen out of use but refered to the image of the river as a shining dagger that was sharpened over the rocks of the ford).
The second portal stone of the “Voices of the Lost” song path is now the hearthstone of the Lady Luck tavern (#C1) in the town of Daggerford, once a two-story warehouse built on a flat stretch of exposed bedrock. The elven inscriptions are now worn and barely recognizable and simply considered part of the character of the place.
The second set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 15 minutes to recite) describes a realm in decline, late in the arc of Illefarn’s history, slowly marching to its inevitable end. The river is broad and shallow here, representing the dwindling numbers of the Fair Folk, scattered across territories far too large to hold.

3. Alukerymiilor
When the song path was created, the third “Voices of the Lost” portal stone lay atop a hill just east of the confluence of the River Delimbiyr and the Ulbanlur (now known as the Hark River or the Highmoorflow). Known to the Fair Folk as Alukerymiilor (literally, “Place of the Water Swords”), the stone overlooked the steep cascades of the Ulbanlur, whose waters poured down into the placid waters of the River Delimbiyr to create an ever-turbulent pool.
Alukerymiilor was later the site of a castle known as Floodmeet, built to defend the eastern reaches of Athalantar, Kingdom of the Stag. The castle has long since fallen into ruins, but the area is still known as Floodmeet, for the spring floods that inundate the northern bank of the River Delimbiyr. The third stone now lies, partially buried, amidst the broken, overgrown walls of the ruined castle, leading some to erroneously conclude that Floodmeet was once an elven fortification.
In the current era, Alukerymiilor is used from time to time by hunters seeking shelter from storms blowing off the High Moor and by druids from the South Wood celebrating the arrival of spring (usually held on the ides of Mirtul), but mostly it is ignored by the halfing and human farmers who farm the north bank of the River Delimbiyr. Nevertheless, human and Halfling farmers to the west on the north bank of the River Delimbiyr might well observe the unexpected arrival of travelers at the long-forgotten portal terminus across the river and react with some amount of alarm.
The third set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 30 minutes to recount) describes the chaos of the Crown Wars and the mingling with the various Lawkeeper races that came in their wake.

4. Delimbiyr’alushtas
When the song path was created, the fourth “Voices of the Lost” portal stone was set atop a flat-topped outcropping of bedrock that thrust up through the top of the Shining Falls, known to the Fair Folk as Delimbiyr’alushtas (literally “Shining Rain”). Although inscribed with the same Hamarfae script that adorns the other portal stones, the actual inscription is slightly different. The use of this rock as a portal stone predates the rest of the song path, as it had been established as the nexus of a portal network in the early days of Sharrven that crisscrosses the upper Delimbiyr Vale.
At the time of the song path’s creation, this portal stone actually lay within the boundaries of the dwarven realm of Ammarindar, not too far from the entrance to the Royal Caverns of Splendarrmornn. The portal stone here is actually on a small, rocky, shrub-covered island in the middle of the top of the horseshoe falls, near the drop-off. Anyone standing on the island is engulfed in perpetual spray but afforded an amazing few of the falls, the Graypeaks, and the High Forest. The Stout Folk permitted this portal stone’s inclusion in the Illefarni song path, given that its uses as an elven portal stone predated the establishment of their realm and because it provided a convenient means for exchanging emissaries on those rare occasions when Ammarindar’s arcrown and Illefarn’s coronal needed to communicate.
In the Year of the Curse (882 DR), lingering horrors unleashed by the Netherese of Ascalhorn overran Ammarindar, causing the dwarven realm to collapse. Although the Harpers managed to trap the leaders of the demonic horde within the newly renamed Hellgate Keep with powerful wards in the Year of the Fell Firebrake (886 DR), their lesser minions continued to terrorize the Delimbiyr Vale. In the Year of the Burning Tree (890 DR), the demons began digging tunnels to reach the mines of Ammarindar and (later) the Nameless Dungeon. The former effort proved successful in the Year of the Frozen Flower (1221 DR) and the latter effort reached its goal in the Year of the Worm (1356 DR).
For over a century, the Royal Caverns of Splendarrmornn have been the domain of a triumvirate of liches whose phylacteries remain in the possession of the demonic leaders of Hellgate Keep. The Circle of Splendarrmornn, as the fallen Ascalhi wizards call themselves, command a legion of ghouls, ghasts and other lesser undead as well as a tribe of tanarukka barbarians, on behalf of their demonic masters. These troops command the banks of the River Delimbiyr, from the edge of the High Forest to the western Graypeaks up to 100 miles north and south of the Royal Caverns of Splendarrmornn.
The Shining Falls lie at the heart of this territory, making the fourth portal stone quite dangerous to visit. The Circle of Splendarrmornn are well aware that the portal terminus exists and have left a skull watch* (CL 18th) in place to alert them to interlopers, an invisible ghoul glyph* (CL 18th) atop the center of the stone to temporarily detain such visitors, and prepared a teleportation circle (made permanent with a permancy spell) in the depths of the Royal Caverns to allow them to readily dispatch troops to the area. Five rounds after the PCs arrive, a warband consisting of a flameskullLEoF, 4 tanarrukMoF axeblades (CE male tanarruk barbarian 2) and 2 ghasts arrive via the teleportation circle, intent on killing the intruders and bringing their corpses back to the Royal Caverns for reanimation. The members of the warband have no means of leaving the island until the liches have them brought back, so, assuming the PCs prevail in battle, they should have enough time to escape before a more powerful undead spellcaster (a lesser lich or a spectral wizardMoF) comes to check on the warband’s success.
The fourth set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 60 minutes to recount) describes the grandeur of the ancient realms of the Fair Folk at their height and takes the form of an ongoing dialog between two great coronals (kings).

5. Aerendelnar
When the song path was created, the fifth “Voices of the Lost” portal stone lay on the west bank of the fast-moving River Delimbiyr, just north of the Eaerlanni port city of Aerendel, in a small glade known as Aerendelnar (literally “Stone of Rushing Waters”). The glade is cloaked in elven wards that muffle the ambient noise (giving a +10 circumstance bonus on Move Silently checks), allowing the sound of the rushing waters to echo through the glade.
As the most accessible Eaerlanni ruin, the remains of Aerendelnar have been picked over for centuries for adventurers, and what treasures that remain are well hidden. The ruins of Aerendel and its immediate environs (including Aerendelnar) are now home to various predatory monsters and incidental marauders (including wild griffons and tanarukka warbands). For a decade or more, the most dangerous inhabitants of Aerendel have been a pride of dirlagraun (displacer beastsMM), led by a monstrous displacer beast pack lordMM. It is not uncommon for two or more dirlagrauns to be found hunting in the glade of Aerendelnar, as many creatures of the forest come down to the river bank here to drink, unaware that the lingering enchantments make it harder to hear approaching predators.
The fifth set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 30 minutes to recount) recounts the energy and laughter of Illefarn in its early years, when the Fair Folk were still expanding their realms.

6. Aulannar
When the song path was created, the sixth “Voices of the Lost” portal stone lay near the headwaters of the River Aulantrar (also known as the Deepingstream) on a small island in the middle of the riverbed, known as Aulannar (literally “Deepingstone”), high up in the Nether Mountains.
The River Aulantrar has changed its course over the centuries, leaving the portal stone in a now-dry stone-strewn valley some six hundred feet from the river’s new course. This territory is now the domain of the demonic spawn of a fey guardian of the mountain and a demon from Hellegate Keep. A twisted mountain guardian known as the Demoread (LE female half-fiend oreadFF) now protects this mountain valley with cruel zeal. Although she is unaware that the stone with elven script is a portal terminus, she is quick to attack anyone who arrives in the heart of her domain.
The sixth set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 30 minutes to recount) recounts the founding of Illefarn and the feelings of hope and laughter that accompanied it.

7. Faedrannor
When the song path was created, the seventh “Voices of the Lost” portal stone lay at the mouth of the River Delimbiyr, atop a small outcropping of rock in what was then Delimbiyr estuary, a scattering of now-vanished bare islets. Later known as Mystra’s Dance, so named for the first altar of Mystra established by the Ruathyn settlers of Tavaray, the Fair Folk called this place of ancient magic Faedrannor (literally “One Song”).
After the rapid topographic changes in the Year of the Deep Bay (302 DR), this portal stone now lies some twenty-five feet below the waves and 150 feet offshore, buried beneath a thick layer of mud. Anyone arriving on the portal stone must be able to breathe underwater or quickly swim to shore. Once ashore, the singer and his compatriots find themselves in the heart of the seaside territory claimed by the Crashing Thunder tribe of lizardfolk (see Chapter 2), who are notoriously hostile to interlopers.
The last set of stanzas of “Voices of the Lost” (taking about 30 minutes to recount) recounts the foretold final days of Illefarn, when the ancient elven realm would finally fade away. Originally, reciting these verses would take the singer back to the first portal stone in Aelinthaldaar, but now they have no effect, leaving the singer stranded beneath the waters of the Sea of Swords.

===

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  02:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am staggered and awed by your story. Very, very nice work.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  03:38:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was just awesome. Had me breaking out maps and books to try and follow the path. Thank you Eric very much for sharing.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  04:24:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I am staggered and awed by your story. Very, very nice work.

Just to be clear, I built this off of Roger Moore's original write-up found here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20010131b

I mostly just tightened it up, fixed the Realmslore issues, added in relevant Realmslore, and moved it from 1372 DR (or so) back to 1357 DR.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  04:33:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to a chain of emails with Ed, I was able to expand a great deal on the Realmslore we know about the River Delimbiyr.

River Delimbiyr
===============
This clear, cool river forms the eastern and southern boundaries of the High Forest and the northern border of the High Moor and Misty Forest as it runs over a thousand miles from its headwaters in the Nether Mountains to the Sea of Swords. The River Delimbiyr, also known as the River Shining, is fast-flowing, with mint-sweet drinkable water and is home to many szorp: brown, trout-like fish with tasty white flesh that forms much of the daily diet of many communities along its banks.
The mouth of the Delimbiyr is "the Wash," so named because once-a-month higher tides send seawater up the river and into the Lizard Marsh. This region is the domain of lizardfolk and a handful of aquatic dinosaurs.
The lower part of the Delimbiyr above the highest point upriver the salty water ever reaches (that is, where "the Wash" ends) is the "Clearflow," which stretches east from the depths of the Lizard Marsh past the Forlorn Hills and the Misty Forest. West of the Forlorn Hills, the banks of the Clearflow, which flood every spring, are given over to farming. Despite its name, the Clearflow can be quite muddy for the two tendays after the spring floods, as they carry a large amount of sediment down to the Sea of Swords.
The Athwater (which most locals apply to where westernmost Athalantar once began, on upriver) begins very close to where the Coam Stream, joins the River Shining and continues east past the confluence with the Hark River (also known as Ulbanlur or the Highmoorflow). (The Coam Stream is a tiny stream that meanders down past Secomber, on the west of that settlement, to empty into the River Delimibyr. Its banks are made up of thick clay, once dug locally for the making of pots—and sometimes dug into by thieves and smugglers needing to hide valuables in a hurry.) This stretch of river was of old known as "the River Running," and these days more often just as "the Run."
The Crescentflow is the stretch of river that flows through the heart of the region known as the Delimbiyr Crescent, from the confluence with the Hark River past Dahaurock, a hook-shaped bare rock crag just upriver of present-day Loudwater, to the Shining Falls.
Above the Shining Falls, the River Delimbiyr is sometimes called the Bloodshine, named for the legendary River of Blood that flows through the lower planes and is said to burst forth from bowels of Hellgate Keep to merge with the Heartblood River.
The headwaters of the River Delimbiyr are three small rivers that run down the southern slopes of the Nether Mountains, known collectively as the Talons. From west to east, these fast and icy cold rivers include the River Aulantrar (or Deepingstream), the River Starsilver (or Starsilver Stream), and the Norlnryn.
The River Delimbiyr is navigable from its mouth to Loudwater, and from above the Shining Falls to its headwaters. The Wash and the Clearwater see regular passage by reedmarsh “runners”. The Clearwater, the Athwater, and the Crescentflow are heavily trafficked by river skiffs, barges, ferries, and temporary barges made of fresh-cut logs being floated/poled down to the coast, known as "whaerboats" or "lashlogs.” The Bloodshine has seen little boat traffic since the fall of Eaerlann, but a few daring explorers use wooden canoes made from fallen logs to make their way north to the ruined Eaerlanni port town of Aerendel.

--
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  05:06:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Song Paths of Illefarn have always been one of my favourite parts of the ancient Realms. The brief focus they received in Lost Empires of Faerûn remains one of the main highlights from that tome, for me.

And now, to see what you've built upon Roger's already awesome foundation, Eric, is to behold a newly restored vision that this long-known fan of Realms musically-related minutiae can absorb anew.

Many thanks for this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  05:46:39  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is all great stuff, Eric. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

The compiled notes look like a fantastic mini-campaign setting. I'm not alone in eagerly watching this thread for more.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  08:36:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Awesome Realmslore.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  15:20:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed - great lore Eric.

quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

This is all great stuff, Eric. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

The compiled notes look like a fantastic mini-campaign setting. I'm not alone in eagerly watching this thread for more.

This is PRECISELY the sort of treatment areas should get in new 5e Realms regional books. Use the lore to fix the lore, and iron-out the wrinkles (continuity glitches). WotC take note - see how this approach leaves us fans drooling for more.

Dare I say it - Eric is doing the 'soft reboot' approach, and no-one is even noticing (thus proving it CAN work, and work WELL). People never mind changes if they are logical and designed to fix problems (throwing RSE's at problems fixes nothing, and just creates more problems: the snowball effect).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2012 15:21:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000