Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  21:54:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Conan and Sonja?

Yeah, my not favorite either. N5 - Under Illefarn, page 16.

Pwyll, Bronwyn, Gwydion, Llewellyn, Mab ... it's like I'm reading about a town set in Prydain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Prydain).

The North: Daggerford is worse, names-wise.

--Eric

Did not realize it came from that module... I've got that one, but I've never gotten around to reading it...

Other than that, though, I love what you're giving us, here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  23:55:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an admittedly low bar, but N5 - Under Illefarn is one of the better 1e, 2e, or 3e modules.

However, there are tons of problems with it, which is why I'm in the middle of rewriting it. ;-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  01:50:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's an admittedly low bar, but N5 - Under Illefarn is one of the better 1e, 2e, or 3e modules.

However, there are tons of problems with it, which is why I'm in the middle of rewriting it. ;-)

Which is also why I'm seriously reconsidering using what you've presented here, to revisit the N5 module with my gaming group at the end of the year.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  04:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your work is fantastic Eric. A treasure trove of Realmslore. Thankyou.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  19:37:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed - all of this should go into a Retrun to Illefarn 5e module.

Or better yet - since the plan is to separate the lore from the rules - just release it sooner then 5e (not sure if modules are possible under that paradigm). It can always become part of a Swordcoast regional splat (using Daggerford as the 'start area', which I'd like to see turned into a 'base camp' type of approach for each and every future regional source).

EDIT: such a product should also include the 'lost' information about Wormford, provided by THO in this thread, since it appeared on the inside cover of the original Under Illefarn.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 May 2012 19:46:49
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  02:15:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hendar the Scarred
==================
Hendar the Scarred (NE male Illuskan human rogue 1) is a thin, dark-haired man with a deep furrow in his left cheek and a hint of a limp who looks a decade older than his years. He wears dark, mended clothing, usually stolen from a dustbin or off a laundry line, reflecting his low station in life.
Born in Waterdeep’s Dock Ward in the Year of the Wanderer (1338 DR), Hendar is the son of a serving wench who later died of consumption and an unknown sailor. Hendar grew up on the streets of Dock Ward, surviving as a runner, delivering messages throughout the city.
In the Year of the Dragon (1352 DR), Hendar was seen witnessing a young scion of the Roaringhorn clan stab a fellow noble in the back in a dark Dock Ward alley. Fearing he would be silenced, Hendar fled south, where he fell in with the Dragon Cult cell based in the Rat Hills outside of Waterdeep. When Jalanvaloss, the “Wyrm of Many Spells,” attacked, killing Nabalnyth and most of the Dragon Cultists, Hendar escaped with only his life and the scar that now marks his cheek. He fled south to Daggerford, where he found employ as a water carrier, but had to tithe the bulk of his earnings in his first year in Daggerford to the Water Carrier’s guild.
While he initially thought his position as water carrier would give him access to Daggerford’s wealthier homes, and thus the opportunity to steal, Hendar quickly learned that water carriers were distrusted for exactly that reason and that Daggerford was too small to remain anonymous for long.
To supplement his meager income, Hendar began to make a few coins as a “wheelsqueal.” One of a dozen or so individuals in Daggerford to play this role, Hendar keeps a close eye on every caravan that crosses the River Delimbiyr, counting wagons, noting cargo, and remembering faces. Hendar sells this information to anyone willing to pay him coin, usually rival merchant houses and trading costers seeking a leg up on the competition, but also to bandit gangs seeking information about which caravans to hit.
While he does not stay “bought,” Hendar is honest in his reports, as his reputation for solid information is his only asset. During the day he can usually be found skulking around the caravan grounds outside of Daggerford, plying his coins. At night, he can usually be found drinking at the “Inn the Drink.” If he has sufficient coins, he rents a room in the apartments above. If not, he finds a relatively dry crawlspace beneath one of the homes in the River Quarter and beds down with the rats.
Hendar’s one real secret is that he remains a devout Follower of the Scaly Way. Kelthas the Dread, leader of the Dragon Cult cell under Mount Illefarn, recognized Hendar a few years back when he passed through Daggerford and now supplements the wheelsqueal’s meager income with coins and the occasional gift, such as the prized dragonfang daggerDra he now bears.
Hendar serves as Kelthas’s eyes and ears in Daggerford, letting the necromancer know of any rumors he picks up from passing caravans or in the city’s taverns. Hendar sends such reports to Kelthas by way of a riverman with whom he has an arrangement. The riverman drops Hendar’s packages off on his way upriver to Secomber at a prearranged hollow beneath a prominent rock overlooking the River Delimbiyr near the eastern end of the Laughing Hollow. Kelthas then creates a zombie bird of prey (usually an owl) which he sends out to retrieve the package and bring it back to his lair. It usually takes three or four days for Hendar's reports to make it to Kelthas's hands, but it does keep the Dragon Cult well informed of goings-on in Daggerford.
On occasion, when his spying draws unwanted attention, Hendar attempts to lead any pursuer into his favorite watering hole, where he can count on his fellow guildsmen to unceremoniously dump the tail into the River Delimbiyr, as is the local custom, while he escapes out a back door.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  12:00:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheldor “the Stiff” Nondar,
Sensechal of House Hothemer
===========================
Wheldor “the Stiff” Nondar (LN male middle-aged Illuskan human expert 3), is the seneschal of House Hothemer, a noble family of Waterdeep whose wealth has been built by owning fleets of caravan wagons and sponsoring merchant caravans. Born in the Year of Chains (1321 DR) in Waterdeep to servants in the employ of House Hothemer, Wheldor has served the Hothemer family all of his life. He acquired his nickname as a young man, for his habit of excessively formal posture and speech, even in lowbrow situations.
Five years ago, Wheldor was promoted to the position of Seneschal of Hothemer House in Daggerford. While Daggerford is a far cry from the hustle and bustle of the City of Splendors, Wheldor has found his relative freedom from the daily demands of the Hothemer scions quite liberating. As seneschal, Wheldor is nominally responsible for maintaining the Hothemer family’s residence in Daggerford, making sure it is ever prepared for their infrequent visits. In practice, his formal position requires almost no work at all, leaving him free to perform his real job.
Wheldor’s primary role is that of “hogfattner,” a term that refers both to the hog fat most drovers use in the Sword Coast North to keep their wagon wheels moving and to the role of fattening the coffers of the caravan masters that employ them. In addition to keeping his employers informed of all passing caravans, including who owns them, where they are going, what they are carrying, and when they expect to arrive, Wheldor is expected to create favorable conditions for caravans sponsored by the Hothemer family. What this means on a daily basis is that Wheldor is constantly slipping coins to caravan guards, drovers, militia members, rumormongers, stableboys, wainwrights, and even the occasional bandit, in order to create unfavorable conditions for the occasional rival caravan, be it in the form of an animal that comes up lame, a wheel that breaks at just the wrong time, or the occasional crossbow bolt from the treeline that forces a caravan to draw in its defenses and move more slowly.
Despite his almost comical bearing, Wheldor and his coin purse have cultivated a web of informants and sabateurs who keep the Hothemer family fortunes ever growing, in both good times and bad. Only the recent Dragonspear War really compromised Wheldor’s effectiveness, and he has worked hard over the past year to prove himself once again to his longstanding employers.
During the winter months, when trade slows to a trickle along the Trade Way, Wheldor’s seneschal purse is sharply clipped, leaving him barely enough to live on, but not enough to enjoy the many libations that Daggerford’s taverns have to offer and to which he grows accustomed in the summer months. As such, Wheldor is prone to use his many contacts to personal gain once the winter snows set in. He has found on more than one occasion that offering to act as the eyes and ears of a band of adventurers based in Daggerford can be a lucrative and relatively safe means of acquiring additional income, and he may well approach the PCs to serve them in that regard. He normally charges a standing fee of 10 gp per tenday, with an expected bonus when he provides an especially juicy bit of information.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  12:48:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jardak “Sevenmouths” Herringdar
===============================
Born in Daggerford in the Year of the Shattered Oak (1313 DR), Jardak Herringdar (CN male middle-aged Illuskan human warrior 2, see Appendix 2, page __), is a longstanding, senior member of the Rivermen’s Guild and a veteran of the Daggerford to Secomber route, making regular trips ferrying people and goods up and down the River Delimibiyr on a Shining skiff, along with his eldest son, Jardak the Younger (CN male Illuskan human warrior 1). A tall, dark-haired, heavily muscled riverman, Jardak the Elder is known as “Sevenmouths” for his endless complaints about having to feed seven mouths on his meager income. He knows ever bend in the river, every sandbar, and every overlook where wild elves or orcs or bandits might shoot at travelers below from a thick screen of woods.
Despite his endless bellyaching, Jardak has long profited from his position, using it to facilitate all manner of illicit activities up and down the river. For example, Hendar the Scarred (see above), a spy for the Cult of the Dragon, pays him to drop regular reports at a a prearranged hollow beneath a prominent rock overlooking the River Delimbiyr near the eastern end of the Laughing Hollow. Baron Agwain Delantar (see Chapter 4) pays him to deliver regular reports passed to his son at the Lucky Lady tavern (#91) and then to him by a network of informants throughout the city. From time to time, Jardak allows the baron’s agents to slip unnoticed into the city dressed as his son, relying on his influence within the guild to maintain the discretion of his fellow rivermen.
In the evenings, when in town, Jardak can be found at the “Inn the Drink” (#16), holding court in a back corner of the tavern with his fellow guildmembers. While he draws the line at murder, Jardak can also be hired to arrange for a “beatdown” by a gang of younger rivermen. Caravan masters hoping to settle a score are not above arranging for a rival merchant to stumble into a “chance” dustup with a group of rivermen on his way home from a night of drinking.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  16:07:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Agreed - all of this should go into a Retrun to Illefarn 5e module.

Or better yet - since the plan is to separate the lore from the rules - just release it sooner then 5e (not sure if modules are possible under that paradigm). It can always become part of a Swordcoast regional splat (using Daggerford as the 'start area', which I'd like to see turned into a 'base camp' type of approach for each and every future regional source).

EDIT: such a product should also include the 'lost' information about Wormford, provided by THO in this thread, since it appeared on the inside cover of the original Under Illefarn.

Thanks for the reference to Wormford and that thread. I have that book somewhere, but I haven't read it in decades.

Wormford is probably farther afield then I want to cover though. I'm trying to stick to the Lower Delimbiyr Vale. That leaves the Dessarin valley and the Secomber region largely out (with the exception of ties to Baron Agwain). I've worked on detailing Daggerford, the Lizard Marsh (a bit), the Laughing Hollow, and the Open Marches.

--
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  17:09:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured that, but I also realize you are probably one of the few people (aside from Ed) that knows about more 'little-known' (canon) locales in the Realms then I do, and I assume you'd want to add that to your database.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  17:51:37  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alicorn Tower of Mab
====================
The Alicorn Tower of Mab sits astride a granite plug, north of the Way Inn, some ten miles east of the Trade Way. This slender, curving spire resembles the spiral horn of a unicorn and flickers with blue faerie fire when bathed in moonlight. The tower has no windows or battlements, and the only apparent means of entry is a rune-carved door built into the rockface directly below the tower.
Mab (NG male Tethyrian wizard 3 / druid 3 / arcane hierophantRoW 12) was born in the kingdom of Callidyrr on the island of Alaron in the Moonshae Isles in the Year of the Black Wind (1262 DR). He rose to a senior position on the High King’s Council of Mages, only to be accused of treason, stripped of his spellbooks, and banished in the Year of the Broken Helm (1302 DR). After making his way to Waterdeep aboard a caravel, accompanied only by his ward, Gwydion pen Dafwyd, Mab was given an audience at Blackstaff Tower with Khelben Arunsun, who had been warned of his impending arrival by the reclusive archmage, Flamsterd. (Flamsterd, who hailed from the City of Splendors, could not disobey the order of the High King, but felt Mab did not deserve his banishment and reached to the Blackstaff on his behalf.) Khelben then recommended Mab for the then vacant position of Court Wizard of Daggerford, and provided him with a set of spelltomes and other items of magic necessary to serve in that position.
Mab served as Court Wizard of Daggerford until his retirement in the Year of the Blue Flame (1327 DR), serving as the Blackstaff’s eyes and ears in Daggerford. After fashioning the Alicorn Tower, Mab withdrew to pursue his studies, the nature of which is mysterious even to Gwydion. No one, including the current ducal court wizard, has spoken to Mab in over a decade, leading many to believe he has died or vanished. Curiously, the Alicorn Tower of Mab was undisturbed during the recent Dragonspear War, leading some to speculate that Mab’s wards remain in place, masking whatever dark secrets lurk within. Gwydion refuses to speak of his former master, suggesting some sort of breach (or at least a sense of pique on Gwydion’s part) between Mab and his former ward.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 27 May 2012 21:40:09
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2012 :  22:26:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While N5 spent a lot of time on the militia, it was a little unclear whether or not there was a constabulary or a ducal soldiers separate from the militia. Here's how I redid it.

Daggerford Armed Forces
=======================
The Duchy of Daggerford is a relatively small realm and its armed forces are not large in number. All members of the lawkeeper races must be ready to defend their homes and lives.
The defense of the duchy is ultimately the job of the duke of Daggerford, Duke Pwyll Daggerford, although that duty is traditionally delegated to the duke’s master-at-arms, Lord Llewellyn Longhand. The duke’s master-at-arms directly controls the duke’s soldiers (see Appendix 2, page __), who are primarily based at Castle Daggerford, but also posted in hamlets throughout the duchy.
By agreement with the duke, the town of Daggerord maintains its own militia, trained by Duke Pwyll’s soldiers. Commander Sherlen Spearslayer (see below) leads the Daggerford Militia. The commander reports to the duke’s master-at-arms and is served by three captains, each of whom commands one of three 8-hour shifts: the morning shift, the evening shift, or the night shift.
Law-and-order within the town is the purview of the duke’s lawsword, who, despite the traditional title, reports to the Council of Guilds. Duke’s Lawsword Rauthgar Thundersworn (see Appendix 2, page __) is served by a half dozen lesser lawswords (see Appendix 2, page __), who split their time between patrolling the town streets, visiting the town’s taverns, and patrolling the caravan grounds outside the walls. Any one of the lawswords can call on active militia members to back them up in a dangerous situation.
While the City of Splendors does not formally base troops in Daggerford, the Lords of Waterdeep do dispatch regular patrols of Waterdeep’s soldiers down to Daggerford and back. Such patrols are usually timed so that there is always a patrol of Waterdhavian soldiers spending the night at the town’s barracks (#29).

Daggerford Militia
==================
All able-bodied, adult residents of Daggerford are required to be members of the militia. Even transients of the right age find themselves either training with the militia or asked to leave the town. If a person stays longer than two weeks, a militia soldier shows up at his residence to induct him. Of course, the person can try to evade this duty, but in a town the size of Daggerford, this is difficult. Anyone can avoid the duty by paying the expenses of another militiaman, but most residents would rather spend the time than the money. Those living in outlying areas are also expected to have militia training and duty. This is mainly accomplished by local musters, usually at the estate of a local baron or the common of a hamlet under the training of the duke’s soldiers.
In a practical sense, this means that most inhabitants of the duchy are 1st level warriors, not 1st level commoners, although all classes and skills are welcome. New militia recruits are taught to ride and to use a spear. Each militiaman is given one spear and one suit of studded leather armor. If the armor is ruined in any way, the militiaman must replace it. Spears are replaced free. All militia equipment, aside from spears and armor, must be supplied by the militia member. The militia has the use of light warhorses owned by the town and kept in the town stables (#8). The town must be repaid for the loss of a horse, either with money or with extra militia service. Any militia member who can afford such weapons as maces and swords is trained in their use by the duke’s master-at-arms, Lord Llewellyn Longhand. The duke’s master-at-arms also provides advanced training in swords and riding to the minor nobility. The duke’s huntmaster, Kelson Darktreader, gives instruction in bows and other hunting weapons to those with talent.
Militia duty is actually quite light, except in times of trouble. Militia members must show up for training at least one day per month. The militia is split up into various troops, and these troops meet on different days. Militia troops must serve three days out of the month, serving as in-town street patrol, wall guard, or road patrol (along the Delimbiyr Route or the Trade Way). Usually, at least two veteran militia members are on duty on any given day, while the new militia members train and help the veterans.
Militia members who participate in combat or other hazardous missions are entitled to split any loot they obtain among them. The town is entitled to buy any magic items deemed necessary for the well-being of the town.
Militia members who die in the line of duty will be raised if possible, but there is only one priest in Daggerford with this ability. Veteran militia members have priority for being raised.
The main problem the militia has is hanging on to its veteran members. If they gain any significant expertise, the militia’s best swords are hired away by caravan masters, go off to the mercenary hiring fairs in Waterdeep, or try their hands at adventuring.

--
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  22:37:52  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome lore, Mr. Boyd. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  00:51:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vallon

Awesome lore, Mr. Boyd. Thank you!

Glad you like it!

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  00:55:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delfargo the Baitseller
=======================
Delfargo the Baitseller (CN male sprigganFF rogue 1, see Appendix 2, page __), appears to be an ugly forest gnome with greasy, reddish-brown hair, pulled back in a loose ponytail, thick sideburns, and dull, yellow skin. In truth, he is a gnome-like fey creature known as a spriggan and capable of changing into an ogre-sized creature at will. Although the majority of his kin are cruel, evil beings, Delfargo is simply cantankerous, with a dark sense of humor. He is well known in Daggerford’s River Quarter, thanks to his appearance, odor, and profession, but has few, if any, friends who know him well.
For many years, Delfargo wandered through the Misty Forest, as part of a larger pack of spriggans preying on forest gnome villages. During the Dragonspear War, Delfargo’s pack disbanded, as spriggan bands often do during particularly desperate times. Masquerading as forest gnome, Delfargo sought shelter in Daggerford, where he was quickly forgotten amongst the torrent of refugees that sought temporary sanctuary behind the town walls.
After a brief, but largely unsuccessful career as a cutpurse, Delfargo established himself as a baitseller, gathering up fishheads and fish guts discarded by Daggerford’s fishmongers and then reselling them on the Shining Shore to fishermen needing fresh bait. “As sweet-smelling as the Baitseller on a summer’s day” is a common expression in Daggerford for anything that stinks to high heaven. Delfargo’s vocation provides him a convenient explanation for the rancid stink common to spriggans that clings to him at all times.
Now that the Dragonspear War has ended, Delfargo has started to entertain the thought of returning to the Misty Forest and seeking out his kin, but he has also grown fond of Daggerford, having developed a taste for raw fish and ale.
Delfargo can most commonly be encountered wandering the River Quarter in search of discarded fishheads or down on the Shining Shore (#149), selling bait to local fishermen. He maintains a small shop and residence known as the Bait Cellar (#148). Whenever he has a few coins to spend in the evening, Delfargo can be found drinking ale on the back stoop of the “Inn the Drink” (#16), the only tavern in town that will serve him (albeit as long as he keeps his stink outside).

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  20:28:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As with the other NPCs, this is current as of 1357 DR.

Lord Tarn Urmbrusk
==================
Born in Waterdeep in the Year of the Fist (1311 DR), Lord Tarn Urmbrusk (LE male Illuskan human aristocrat 4/expert 1/merchant princePoF 3, see Appendix 2, page __) is Daggerford’s most powerful financier. Lord Tarn is a cold, calculating snake capable of wearing almost any kind of mask. To most folk of Daggerford, he is a rich uncle, kindly but firm, willing to make loans at reasonable rates and then work with folks who have trouble repaying. However, those who cross him quickly discover that Lord Tarn is an inveterate actor, able and willing to play the concerned moneylender all the while extracting every last coin he can acquire.
Over the past decade, Lord Tarn has acquired vast tracts of land in the Duchy of Daggerford while investing in most of the town’s mercantile ventures. His ready access to capital and insistence on requiring land as collateral has resulted in the acquisition of great swaths of prime farmland for the family and left most of the merchants in Daggerford in his debt. The Dragonspear War, which ended nearly a year ago, caused many ventures in the Daggerford region to fail, leaving the Urmbrusk family (specifically, Lord Tarn) in control of more land throughout the duchy than the duke.
Lord Tarn is the unwed older brother of Lord Halam Urmbrusk of Waterdeep, reigning patriarch of the Urmbrusk clan. In the Year of the Bright Blade (1347 DR), Lord Tarn, then the Urmbrusk heir, was quietly exiled from the City of Splendors after being convicted by the Lords of Waterdeep of spying and sabotage, a crime against the city. The Lords also decreed that the Urmbrusk family lordship could not be inherited by Lord Tarn, and the position of heir then passed to Lord Halam.
After his disgrace, Lord Tarn moved south to Daggerford and began rebuilding his position and influence. Through a combination of skillful investment and careful plotting, Lord Tarn has spent the past decade establishing himself as Daggerford’s chief financier, with a hand in almost every business venture that originates within or passes through the town gates. Lord Tarn has always been one step ahead of his rivals, and his investment position at the outbreak of the Dragonspear War even allowed him to make money during that period, while others lost money hand over fist.
Lord Tarn has secretly been a member of the Knights of the Shield (see sidebar) for nearly two decades, accounting for the steady increase in his fortunes. Lord Tarn’s early efforts on behalf of the Knights ultimately led to his banishment from the City of Splendors, and, ultimately, his elevation to the position of senior member of the order. As his contribution to the Knights, Lord Tarn gives regular reports on caravans passing through Daggerford to other members of the order. In turn, he uses information provided by other Knights to allow him to carefully target his loans towards those most likely to pay off handsomely or eventually forfeit their collateral (usually in the form of land in the Daggerford region). Lord Tarn even received advanced warning of the impending diabolic invasion through the portal in Dragonspear Castle from a member of the Shield Council with ties to Gargauth, the Hidden Lord. Instead of alerting Duke Pryden to the impending invasion, Lord Tarm quietly shifted his investments, making him one of the few Daggerford-based merchants to actually profit handsomely from the Dragonspear War.
Since his exile from Waterdeep and resettlement in Daggerford, Lord Tarn has set his eye on Daggerford’s ducal throne, hoping to establish himself as ruler of a realm independent of the City of Splendors, but close enough to put a stranglehold on Waterdeep’s lifeblood of trade. Initially, Lord Tarn thought that by arranging the death of Lord Merovy in the Year of the Bow (1354 DR)—he arranged an ambush on the banks of the Unicorn Run—he would position Lady Bronwyn to become heir to Daggerford’s ducal throne. He then planned to then win her hand by dint of his position, setting himself up as successor to Duke Pryden.
After Duke Pryden anointed Lord Pwyll as heir, possibly intuiting the threat posed by Lord Tarn, pursuing the hand of Lady Bronwyn faded in importance compared to undermining Duke Pryden directly. The Dragonspear War offered Lord Tarn the perfect opportunity to eliminate Duke Pryden, without raising suspicions about the death of another member of the ducal family. Lord Tarn’s contact on the Shield Council passed on a request to have Duke Pryden directly targeted via the diabolic connection that had alerted the Knights to the pending invasion. In exchange for crucial information on the disposition of the forces besieging Dragonspear Castle, the Alliance of Avernus dispatched an elite team of devils who attacked Duke Pryden in his tent and destroyed him beyond hope of resurrection. Lord Tarn had expected that the duke’s young heir would falter in the face of his unexpected elevation to the ducal throne, leaving him well positioned to be appointed regent, but Duke Pwyll surprised the Knights of the Shield by proving himself an able and effective battlefield leader.
In the wake of the Dragonspear War, Lord Tarn has concentrated his efforts on using his financial and land-owning position to subtly undermine Duke Pwyll’s authority and renewed his efforts to win the hand of Lady Bronwyn. If the duke is seen as as a poor steward of the duchy, the merchant class is likely to turn to Lord Tarn to defend their interests, and Lord Tarn can push the duke to give him his sister’s hand in marriage. Once ensconced in the ducal family, Lord Tarn plans to use the Council of Guilds to pressure the weakened duke into a formal or de facto regency.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  18:36:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duke Pwyll “Greatshout” Daggerford
==================================
Duke Pwyll (“PWILL”) Daggerford (LG male Illuskan human knightPH2 5, see Appendix 2, page __), born in the Year of the Sword and Stars (1332 DR) is the fair-haired, second son and third child of the late Duke Pryden Daggerford. Tall and handsome, the bright-eyed young duke is brave, fearless, and a natural leader of warriors. Pwyll has no end of noble-born female suitors, but prefers the quiet company of his fellow soldiers to the sordid machinations of his barons and Waterdhavian noble houses, all trying to marry off their sisters and daughters to secure access to the ducal throne and hence control the trade routes south of Waterdeep.
Duke Pwyll’s formal titles include Duke of Daggerford, Duke of Calandor, King of Man (a title the Heralds consider disputed and shunned), Baron of the Steeping Falls (a title written but never spoken after three dukes of Calandor in short succession were murdered after its utterance), Shining Lord of the Sword Hills (a title never employed in the company of dwarven dignitaries as it implies human claims to the Forlorn Hills put forth during the Kingdom of Man), Warden of the Lizard Marsh, and High Knight of Dragonspear (a non-inheritable title awarded by the Lords’ Alliance to all commanders, living or posthumous, who fought against the Alliance of Avernus).
Pwyll had a short career as an adventurer, cut off when his older brother, Merovy, died adventuring along the Unicorn Run in the Year of the Bow (1354 DR). Pwyll’s father, Duke Pryden, realized that his sole remaining male heir needed training in how to be a land ruler. Pwyll chafed against this necessary restriction of his adventuring life, but saw the necessity and acceded to his father’s wishes, leaving him well prepared when his father, Duke Pryden, fell fighting the onslaught of diabolic forces from Dragonspear Castle in the Year of the Worm (1356 DR).
Pwyll gained his nickname of “Greatshout” after swallowing an unknown potion he discovered in the sack of Dragonspear Castle, which gave him the ability to shout as if he were using a fabled horn of blasting. His voice is considerably roughened from when he set out on that last campaign against evil, but no one has seen or heard him use the great shout since he came back from the wars. There are many stories of its use during the last weeks of the campaign, though. (Pwyll discovered an elixir of shouting during the campaign and used it in conjunction with the gorget of swallows* he inherited from Duke Draconandar.)
Although he proved his mettle on the battlefield, Duke Pwyll is still busily proving his control of the ducal throne. Having returned to the ducal castle, the young duke now spends his days trying to restore the security and prosperity of his realm. Pwyll is slowly coming to the realization that the greatest threat to his rule is not the remnants of the Alliance of Avernus but the growing power of Lord Tarn Urmbrusk. The young duke has even begun to privately wonder if his family’s series of misfortunes might not be due to the hidden hand of Lord Urmbrusk. At the present time, Pwyll is trying to decide whether to coopt the exiled Waterdhavian lord, by marrying his sister off to him, or confront Daggerford’s primary financier, with the inevitable huge hit to the duchy’s economic recovery that would ensue at a time when his people are already suffering. Until he produces an heir, Duke Pwyll is very protective of his sister, convinced she might well be killed if he lets her go off and adventure like their elder brother, Lord Merovy.
Pwyll meets regularly with his advisors and more infrequently with the town’s Council of Guildmasters and the Council of Man, planning how to defend the duchy, and enrich the duchy and his family by shrewd investments. There are recurring plans to dredge the river and make Daggerford an important harbor, but the duke sees such ambitions as folly. The duke is rarely seen in town, except for the rare meal at the River Shining Tavern, preferring to spend his scarce hours of freedom hunting (now-a-days for devils, not stags).

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 25 May 2012 19:33:36
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  13:03:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This write-up draws heavily from N5 - Under Illefarn and Spawn of Dragonspear. (See the scroll of that name in Sages of the Realms for more lore pulled from that book.)

Note Kelson's loss of Filvendor's sword is my invention, to account for the fact Kelson clearly doesn't have it in N5 - Under Illefarn. It also fits the story of poor relations between Kelson and Filarion.

Kelson “Darktreader” Floshin,
Master of the Duke’s Hunt
=============================
Kelson “Darktreader” Floshin (NG male half-gold-elf ranger 5 / hellreaverT9H 2, see Appendix 2, page __), born in the Year of the Claw (1299 DR), is only beginning to get some silver hairs among the gold that have adorned his head since his youth. The bronze-skinned Huntmaster is taciturn and close-spoken, never using two words where one will do. Popular tales about the Huntmaster say that no one in Daggerford knows the Misty Forest and High Moor better than Kelson.
Kelson’s grandfather is Lord Elorfindar, and his father was Elorfindar’s gold elf son, Filvendor “Lightfoot” Floshin (see Chapter 1). His mother, Ylasmrae Darktreader, who died in childbirth, and foster mother, Jillian “Forestheart” Darktreader, were sisters, daughters of a human woodsman of the Misty Forest. Filvendor vanished in the Inner Sea Lands in the Year of the Year of the Snow Winds (1335 DR), after finding a new magic sword with a will of its own in the horde of a remorhaz (and leaving his old one with tribe of High Moor barbarians). Jillian died in her sleep soon thereafter (early in 1336 DR), but the cause of her death was never determined.
Kelson entered the service of Duke Draconandar in the Year of the Lost Helm (1329 DR), as a huntsman under Seandaer “Sean” Farranger, then the Master of the Duke’s Hunt, and continued that service after Duke Pryden ascended to the ducal throne in the Year of the Lion (1340 DR).
In the Year of the Bow (1354 DR), while Duke Pryden and most of Daggerford’s defenders were away, as part of the force besieging Dragonspear Castlke, Kelson was tasked to investigate rumors of a horde of orcs and goblins gathering beneath the boughs of the Misty Forest. After recovering his father’s sword (Kizidathil*) from the barbarians of the High Moor, Kelson eventually confronted and killed Jagurt Redclaw, the orc leader who was assembling the horde at the direction of the devils of Dragonspear Castle. After being led into an ambush by a devil known “Blackeye,” Kelson determined that the devil-bear had returned to Daggerford in the guise of Kelson to romance Lady Bronwyn and to open the River Gate when the Redclaw Horde arrived. Keldson destroyed the diabolic infiltrator and saved Daggerford, but his relationship with Lady Bronwyn remained strained thereafter, as she could never forgive herself for falling for Kelson’s imposter and the Huntmaster could never match his imposter’s charm.
After Seandaer Farranger fell in battle during the siege of Dragonspear Castle, Kelson was promoted to the position of Master of the Duke’s Hunt. In his new role, Kelson battled countless devils, a fight that in many way still continues. Duke Pwyll has tasked his Huntmaster with continuing the scour the duchy for diabolic influences, as Daggerford’s contribution to a larger effort by the Lords’ Alliance to eliminate the vestiges of the Alliance of Avernus. Kelson’s singleminded focus makes him a relentless foe of all surviving fiends, but the endless battle has also increasingly distanced him from his divine patron, the Daughter of Silvanus, leaving him a grim figure, given to dark, gallows humor.
Kelson’s closest relative in Daggerford is his half-brother, Filarion “Filvendorson” Floshin, but the two barely speak to one another. For his part, Kelson sees Filarion as an irresponsible rake, much like their father, who lives off his grandfather’s fortune and contributes nothing to the safety of Daggerford. He also suspects that Filarion was responsible for the recent theft of Filvendor’s sword, Kizidathil, although he has no proof of his half-brother’s perfidy. (In truth, Kizidathil* was stolen by Ignax “the Ghost” and hidden in the dungeons of Morlin Castle, deep beneath Castle Daggerford (#6).

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 30 May 2012 17:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  20:53:54  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

This is truly outstanding game material. Thank you so much for this custom & original lore! I'm going to nab all of it and port it over to my group's F.R. campaign ... where Daggerford is now coming into the picture (in a very important way).

Cheers,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  22:19:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

Hi Eric,

This is truly outstanding game material. Thank you so much for this custom & original lore! I'm going to nab all of it and port it over to my group's F.R. campaign ... where Daggerford is now coming into the picture (in a very important way).

Cheers,
Tina

Thanks! Glad its helpful.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  22:19:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Korbus Brightjewel, Court Jeweler
=================================
Korbus Brightjewel (CN male rock gnome illusionist 5/maesterCAdv 1, see Appendix 2, page __), Court Jeweler to the Duke of Daggerford, is Daggerford’s leading jeweler and a prominent member of the Smith’s Guild. Hailing from Hardstone, a small rock gnome village in the Forlorn Hills, Korbus can trace his ancestry back to Ulbrent Hardstone, darrath (duke) of Glorea, and the kiira* he sports, known as Ulbrent’s brightjewel, is a family heirloom handed down through the generations. (It was a gift from Laranlor Ruardh Lightshiver
to Ulbrent Hardstone.) Korbus has a dry wit and sharp mind, with a keen appreciation for riddles. Despite his skill, Korbus is quite humble, attributing the beauty of his creations to the blessings of Garl Glittergold.
Korbus prefers the relative peace of Daggerford to the bustle, crowding, and intrigue of Waterdeep, and he steadfastly refuses all inducements to relocate. Representatives of the various Waterdhavian noble houses come to Daggerford expressly to order special work from Korbus and his family. Some Waterdhavian noble families have even offered to sponsor him for life if they can have the exquisite creations of his skilled hands. Korbus is especially fond of crafting detailed insects, birds, and lizards from gems, gold, and silver, particularly into pins that perch on the shoulder of a lady or hold her cloak together.
Korbus identifies and values jewelry for nominal fees (10 gp per piece). He will offer to purchase especially rare or fine pieces, and he has coins aplenty to do so. Korbus uses his detect magic ability to examine each piece for enchantments, and he fully and honestly reports what he finds. Most merchants who travel up and down the Sword Coast bring gems to him. They know his estimates are fair and precise. Korbus teaches the arts of the illusionist only to gnomes, and detests adventuring.
Korbus has treasure cached in many places and has substantial investments in Waterdeep and Elturel.
When not found at his business and residence (#83), Korbus can usually be found drinking ale at the Smiths’ Guildhall (#39).

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2012 :  11:44:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rauthgar Thundersworn, Duke’s Lawsword
======================================
Rauthgar Thundersworm (LN middle-aged male Illuskan fighter 4, see Appendix 2, page __), born in the Year of the Striking Hawk (1326 DR), serves as the Duke’s Lawsword, making him responsible for law-and-order in Daggerford. He is a gruff, no-nonsense man who has seen it all and walked away unimpressed. He is very familiar with adventurers and their boasts, but admires only hard work and dedication to one’s profession.
Rauthgar is a former mercenary who spent many years guarding caravans up and down the Sword Coast. For years he wintered in Daggerford, eventually settling down with his favorite tavern maid and joining Daggerford’s lawblades. Rauthgar’s wife died over a decade ago, thanks to complications during a stillbirth, leaving Rauthgar alone except for his adopted town. He was promoted to his current position after his predecessor died quelling a tavern brawl and now spends every waking hour keeping Daggerford relatively quiet, despite the constant stream of passing caravans.
Despite his title, the duke’s lawsword reports to the Council of Guilds, not the duke, a condition of the town’s charter. Rauthgar performs the role of sheriff within the town walls and within a mile radius of the town. (This includes the tannery, the caravan grounds, the Shining Bridge, the Dagger Ford, the south bank of the River Delimbiyr and the first ring of farms. As the duke’s lawsword, Rauthgar commands a half dozen lawblades (see Appendix 2, page __) and holds the honorary rank of captain in the Daggerford militia.
When not on duty, Rauthgar is usually found nursing a drink at the Lady Luck Tavern (#91), keeping an eye on potential troublemakers.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  12:31:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is more germane to the Moonshaes, but you'll see how it ties in shortly.

Runestaff of the Earthmother
Price (Item Level): 22,600 gp (15th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration
Activation: As spell used
Weight: 5 lb.

This carved oaken staff is adorned with graven images of a leviathan, a unicorn, and a pack of wolves.

A runestaff of the Earthmother allows you to cast any of the following spells (each once per day) by expending a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot of the same level or higher. All summon monster spells must draw from the variant Children of the Earthmother summoning list (see below).
• summon monster IV
• summon monster V
• summon monster VI
Prerequisites: Craft Staff, summon monster IV, summon monster V, summon monster VI
Cost to Create: 11,300 gp, 904 XP, 23 days.

Children of the Earthmother
Members of the Council of Mages of the Moonshae kingdom of Callidyrr, composed primarily of the Ffolk (Tethyrian humans) and a few half-elves, call upon the blended traditions of druidic and wizardly magic. In return for their devotion to the Earthmother, they are allowed to summon minions directly from her servants. Arcane hierophants of the Earthmother summon monsters from the custom list given below.

Creature Template Alignment CR
Summon Monster I
Badger Celestial NG ½
Hawk Celestial NG 1/3
Porpoise* Celestial NG ½
Summon Monster II
Hound, mastiff (RoF) Celestial NG 1
Wolf Celestial NG 1
Summon Monster III
Bear, black Celestial NG 2
Elemental, small (any) None N 1
Summon Monster IV
Dire wolf Celestial NG 4
Giant eagle Celestial NG 4
Summon Monster V
Elemental, medium (any) None N 3
Unicorn Celestial CG 4
Summon Monster VI
Elemental, large (any) None N 5
Whale, orca* Celestial NG 7
Summon Monster VII
Elemental, huge (any) None N 7
Whale, baleen* Celestial NG 8
Summon Monster VIII
Elemental, greater (any) None N 9
Legendary wolf (MM2) Celestial NG 9
Whale, cachalot* Celestial NG 9
Summon Monster IX
Celestial Charger Celestial CG 13
Elemental, elder (any) None N 11

* May be summoned only into an aquatic or watery environment.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  20:34:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note, I updated the Alicorn Tower of Mab write-up above, which gives more backstory for Gwydion.

Gwydion pen Dafwyd
Court Wizard to the Duke of Daggerford
======================================
Gwydion pen Dafwyd (GWID-ee-on pen DAV-ud) (LN male old Tethyrian human wizard 3 / druid 3 / arcane hierophantRoW 5, see Appendix 2, page __) was born in the Moonshae Isles in the kingdom of Callidyrr in the Year of Wandering Waves (1292 DR) and raised as a ward and apprentice of the wizard Mab. Gwydion has been at the court of the Dukes of Daggerford since he followed his master into exile in the Year of the Broken Helm (1302 DR) and was taught in the tradition of Callidyrr’s Council of Mages. Gwydion has been the official ducal court wizard since the Year of Blue Flame (1327 DR), ever since Mab retired to the Alicorn Tower, north of The Way Inn (see Chapter 4).
Gwydion prides himself on his grey hairs and scholarly appearance. He is a self-pronounced expert on the dukedom’s history and the geneaology of the ducal family. (He is, in fact, aware of Llewellyn’s tenuous claim to the title, but keeps that knowledge to himself, thinking it a useful tidbit for some future machination.) Decisiveness is not Gwydion’s dominant trait. He dithers over a decision for months before coming to an easily-swayed conclusion. Gwydion is very aware of his status as court wizard and very class-conscious. He has no time for anyone not of noble blood, even those of common blood who have earned the regard of the duke. His immediate about-face if any of these heroes is ennobled is a regular source of amusement to ducal court regulars.
Although raised to honor the Earthmother of the Moonshaes, Gwydion has found a comfortable home in the church of Chauntea. He is handfasted to Lady Priestess Maerovyna of the Earthmother, complenting her support of the local agricultural community with a focus on the fey magic of the natural world. Duke Pwyll has had little to do with his court wizard and is rather afraid of him. Lady Bronwyn, on the other hand, considers him a sort of useful uncle and is very close with her mentor. She acts as go-between for her brother to the wizard. In recent months Gwydion has become obsessed with his impending death. He now spends his days ensconced in his study, perusing ancient tomes for a natural alternative to lichdom. As such, he has grown increasingly withdrawn and distracted, unaware of Lady Bronwyn’s ambitions and fears and her plans to change her circumstances.

Gwydion pen Dafwyd
Male old Tethyrian human wizard 3/ druid 3 / arcane hierophantRoW 5
LN Medium humanoid (human)
Init -1; Senses Listen +11 (+13 near companion familiar), Spot +11 (+13 near companion familiar)
Languages Common, Chondathan, Druidic, Illuskan, Elven, Orc, Sylvan
[rule]
AC 18, touch 9, flat-footed 18
(-1 Dex, +9 armor)
hp 18 (11 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +13
[rule]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee quarterstaff +3 (1d6-3)
Base Atk +6; Grp +3
Special Actions spontaneous casting (summon nature’s ally
spells), wild shape 3/day (8 hours, Small, Medium, or Large)
Druid Spells Prepared (CL 11th)
4th—bite of the wearboar*, flame strike (DC 17)
3rd—call lightning (DC 16), entangling staff* (DC 16), greater magic fang, weather eye*
2nd—cat’s grace (DC 15), fog cloud, gust of wind (DC 15), one with the land*
1st—cure light wounds x2 (DC 14), faerie fire, longstrider, speak with animals
0th—dawn*, detect poison x2, light, purify food and drink (DC 13), read magic
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 11th)
4th—detect scrying, scrying (DC 18), fire shield
3rd—arcane sight, dispel magic, fireball (DC 17), lightning bolt (DC 17)
2nd—detect thoughts (DC 16), darkvision (DC 16), knock, whispering wind
1st—alarm, mage armor (DC 15), magic missile, thunderhead*, unseen servant
0th—amanuensis*, dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sound (DC 14)
[rule]
Abilities Str 5, Dex 9, Con 7, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 15
SQ channel animal (2/day), companion familiar (dire wolf), ignore arcane spell failure, trackless step, wild empathy +7, woodland stride
Feats AlertnessB, Battle CasterCArc, Magic of the LandRoW, Natural Spell, Practiced SpellcasterCArc (druid), Practiced SpellcasterCArc (wizard), Scribe Scroll
Skills Concentration +12, Decipher Script +10, Diplomacy +12, Gather Information +4, Handle Animal +10, Knowledge (arcana) +15, Knowledge (local---The Sword Coast) +10, Knowledge (nature) +20, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +10, Listen +11 (+13 near companion familiar), Ride +9, Spellcraft +20, Spot +11 (+13 near companion familiar), Survival +8 (+10 aboveground, other planes)
Possessions: +1 beastskin green dragonhide plate, Gwydion’s workbook, runestaff of the Earthmother
[rule]
Channel Animal (Sp) Gwydion can establish a magical conduit between himself and a single animal that he can touch (including his familiar companion). For each use of this class feature, a spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the animal instead of from#8232; Gwydion, provided that Gwydion has line of sight#8232; and line of effect to the animal. The spell’s line of effect then extends from the animal to the target based on the senses of the animal, not Gwydion.
Gwydion can also use this power to deliver touch spells through the animal. Once he casts the spell, the animal is considered to be holding the charge for the spell (see page 176 of the Player’s Handbook).
Ignore Arcane Spell Failure When casting an arcane spell, Gwydion can ignore the arcane spell failure chance for any nonmetallic light or medium armor (e.g. padded, leather, or hide armor).
Trackless Step (Ex) Gwydion leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Wild Empathy (Ex) Gwydion can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.
Gwydion can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a -4 penalty on the check.
Wild Shape (Su) Gwydion can turn himself into any Small, Medium, or Large animal and back again thrice per day. His options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 8 hours, or until he changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time he uses wild shape, he regains lost hit points as if he had rested for the night.
Any gear worn or carried by Gwydion melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. (Note the beastskin ability of his armor allows him to benefit from its armor bonus a the cost of 1 wild shape usage.) When he reverts to his true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on his body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.
The form chosen must be that of an animal Gwydion is familiar with.
Gwydion loses his ability to speak while in animal form because he is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but he can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as his new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to this form does not permit speech.)
Woodland Stride (Ex) Gwydion may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.
Gwydion’s Workbook as above plus 0—all others; 1st—erase, feather fall, identify; 2nd—arcane lock, obscure object, scorching ray, summon monster II; 3rd— clairaudience/clairvoyance, summon monster III, tongues; 4th—dimensional anchor, ice storm, stoneskin, summon monster IV, wall of fire.

Cuhullin
Dire Wolf Companion Familiar
N Large magical beast
Init +2; Senses low-light vision, scent, Listen +7, Spot +7
Language speak with master, speak with wolves
[rule]
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 12
(-1 size, +2 Dex, +7 natural)
hp 45 (6 HD)
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6; improved evasion
[rule]
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Melee bite +11 (1d8+10)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +4; Grp +15
[rule]
Abilities Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 10
SQ deliver touch spells, empathic link, share spells, tricks
Feats Alertness, Run, TrackB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Skills Hide +0, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +7, Survival +2 (+6 tracking by scent)
[rule]
Trip (Ex) If Cuhullin hits with his bite attack, he can attempt to trip his opponent (+11 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Cuhullin.
Deliver Touch Spells (Su) Cuhullin can deliver touch spells for his master. If Gwydion and Cuhullin are in contact at the time the master casts a touch spell, Gwydion can designate his familiar as the “toucher.” The familiar can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if Gwydion casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.
Empathic Link (Su) Gwydion has an empathic link with Cuhullin out to a distance of up to 1 mile. Gwydion cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content (such as fear, hunger, happiness, curiosity) can be communicated. Even intelligent familiars see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.
Improved Evasion (Ex) When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, Cuhullin takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.
Share Spells (Ex) At Gwydion’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts upon himself also affect Cuhullin. The dire wolf must be within 5 feet of him at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting Cuhullin if the dire wolf moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect him again, even if it returns to Gwydion before the duration expires.
Additionally, Gwydion may cast a spell with a target of "You" on Cuhullin (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. Gwydion and Cuhullin can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (magical beast).

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 29 May 2012 00:58:13
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  20:37:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spawn of Dragonspear depicts Filvendor's sword as enchanted, with a sapphire in the pommel, and it easily kills a devil. Here's my take on the sword. It's also less powerful than whatever sword Filvendor acquired from the ice worm, since he willingingly left it behind (presumably due to the new sword having a high ego).

Kizidathil / Lesser Fiendslayer Crystal
=======================================
Price (Item Level): 18,315 gp (15th) and 3,000 (7th)
Body Slot: — (held) and — (weapon crystal)
Caster Level: 12th and 9th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) conjuration and
Activation: — and —
Weight: 4 lb. and —

This finely made longsword is inscribed with elven runes and has a bright blue sapphire embedded in the pommel.

Kizidathil (literally “devil-bane” in Elvish) is a +1 evil outsider fiercebaneMIC longsword. The sapphire in the hilt is actually a removable weapon augment crystal, a lesser fiendslayer crystalMIC, but it has been centuries since it was last removed and was believed to be part of the sword by most of its past bearers.
Lore: Characters can gain the following pieces of information about Kizidathil by making Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (history) checks.
DC 15: Filvendor “Lightfoot” Floshin (see Chapter 1), son of Lord Elorfindar Floshin, wielded Kizidathil until the Year of the Snow Winds (1335 DR). Filvendor supposedly left Kizidathil of his own volition with a barbarian tribe of the High Moor after slaying a remorhaz and recovering a more powerful blade (which may have overwhelmed his ego and forced him to abandon his family’s traditional blade). Nearly two decades later, Kizidathil was recovered by his son, Kelson “Darktreader” Floshin, who used it to great effect during the Dragonspear War, only to have it disappear after his return to Daggerford. The current location of Kizidathil is unknown.
DC 20: Kizidathil was forged by an famed Eaerlanni weaponsmith in the Year of Thorns (856 DR), following a series of dark portents, but it proved insufficient to hold back the tide of demons that overwhelmed Myth Glaurach in the Year of the Curse (882 DR). It was borne south to Ardeep Forest, along with a tide of Eaerlanni refugees from the City of Scrolls who then refounded the Realm of the Deepening Moon. Kizidathil passed into the possession of House Floshin and wielded by a succession of Floshin scions.
Effect: This +1 longsword excels at attacking evil outsiders. Its effective enhancement bonus against evil outsiders is +3 and it deals +2d6 damage on a successful hit against them. Whenever it strikes an evil outsider, it begins to emit a low, eager hum, as if it were actually feeding off the victim’s lifeblood. Kizidathil glows when a designated foe comes within 60 feet, even if the bearer cannot see or detect it. In addition, the weapon deals +1d10 extra damage on every successful critical hit against evil bane outsiders.
The lesser fiendslayer crystal embedded in the hilt deals an extra 1d6 points of damage to evil outsiders and ensures the weapon is treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Prerequisites (Kizidathil): Craft Magic Arms and Armor, summon monster I.
Cost to Create (Kizidathil): 9,000 gp (plus 315 for masterwork longsword), 720 XP, 18 days.
Prerequisites (lesser fiendslayer crystal): Craft Magic Arms and Armor, align weapon, good alignment.
Cost to Create (lesser fiendslayer crystal): 1,500 gp, 120 XP, 3 days.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 28 May 2012 20:40:51
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  01:01:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Bronwyn Daggerford
=======================
Lady Bronwyn Daggerford (CN female Illuskan human wizard 3, see Appendix 2, page __), the lovely elder sister of Duke Pwyll, is the second of the late Duke Pryden’s three children, having been born late in the Year of the Adder (1328 DR). Although she has long harbored a desire to rule Daggerford as its first ruling duchess, her tradition-minded father insisted that his title could only be inherited by one of his sons. (Unbeknownst to his daughter, he also had unspoken concerns about Bronwyn’s reckless ways and suspicions about Lord Tarn Umbrusk’s ambitions.)
Frustrated in her ambitions, Bronwyn turned to her attention to studying the Art, pursuing an apprenticeship under Gwydion pen Dafwyd, Daggerford’s court wizard. Bronwyn still harbors the dream of ruling her own realm, but to do so she knows she must acquire sufficient spellcasting prowess to hold her own against those who would frustrate her ambitions and she can only do that by becoming an adventurer. A brief affair with Kelson “Darktreader” Floshin (see below) foundered after she discovered that the Kelson who had been courting her was actually a devil known as “Blackeye” in disguise.
Since the end of the Dragonspear War, Bronwyn has found herself trapped between the unwanted attentions of Lord Tarn Urmbrusk (see below), who clearly seeks her hand in marriage, and her younger brother’s concerns about safeguarding the Daggerford line. While Pwyll seeks only to safeguard his sister and heir, ensuring the family line, Bronwyn chafes as yet another duke of Daggerford tries to restrain her ambitions.
In recent months, Bronwyn has been secretly corresponding with one of the Shining Barons, Baron Agwain Delantar (see above and Mission 3). While she is not opposed to Baron Agwain’s courtship and does harbor romantic feelings for him, Bronwyn is primarily interested in escaping the vise created by Lord Urmbrusk’s pursuit and her brother’s caution, not jumping into another restraint on her ambitions (e.g. marriage). Baron Agwain has the advantage of being a suitable suitor in the eyes of the ducal court, rather remote from the duchy of Daggerford, and, as somewhat of a romantic, unlikely to restrain Bronwyn’s adventuring ambitions. Unbeknownst to Bronwyn, at least two of her letters to Baron Agwain have gone missing, never delivered and having fallen into the wrong hands (one is now in the possession of the Swords of the Worm, although they have not yet realized its significance, and the other was sold to Lord Tarn Urmbrusk by Jardak “Sevenmouths” Herringdar).
Tyndal’s dagger, borne by Bronwyn, is reputed to be the very one used by the first Daggerford against the lizard men. Whether it was enchanted to begin with, enchanted after the fact, or not the same dagger at all, is open to question. At the DM’s option, Tyndal’s dagger could be an item of legacy (as detailed in Weapons of Legacy).

--
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  16:11:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Reading the article on Underspires, I am curious about a couple of things:

Do you feel that the large amount of Psionic ability exhibited by Jhaamdath could have been the result of escaped human slaves of the Duergar breeding true in the surface population of the Vilhon?

In my efforts to place The Five Shires in the eastern Gulthmere, I decided to use the Duergar as the Dwarves who once enslaved the Hin...however, I'm placing my game back squarely into 1st Edition and starting on Hammer 9th of 1358...how do you feel the Duergar would interact with a nation of Halflings above them? They haven't yet been visited by an Avatar of a God at this time...so what were they like before that? Again, this is in the AD&D rules, so there are no true Psion classes; but the Duergar do have Psionics as described in the Player's Handbook.

My main curiosity is how the Duergar would feel about a land that was once ruled by one of their own (even if for a very short time)? In the history of the Five Shires, dwarves (and here we mean Duergar for the Forgotten Realms) often were involved...what sorts of ideas do you have on how the Duergar might ineract with a nation of capable halflings?

Any other ideas on the doings of the Duergar of Underspires would be greatly appreciated!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  17:19:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Korbus Brightjewel, Court Jeweler
=================================
Korbus Brightjewel (CN male rock gnome illusionist 5/maesterCAdv 1, see Appendix 2, page __), Court Jeweler to the Duke of Daggerford, is Daggerford’s leading jeweler and a prominent member of the Smith’s Guild. Hailing from Hardstone, a small rock gnome village in the Forlorn Hills, Korbus can trace his ancestry back to Ulbrent Hardstone, darrath (duke) of Glorea, and the kiira* he sports, known as Ulbrent’s brightjewel, is a family heirloom handed down through the generations. (It was originally a gift from Laranlor Ruardh Lightshiver to Darrath Ulbrent Hardstone.) Korbus has a dry wit and sharp mind, with a keen appreciation for riddles. Despite his skill, Korbus is quite humble, attributing the beauty of his creations to the blessings of Garl Glittergold.
Korbus professes to prefer the relative peace of Daggerford to the bustle, crowding, and intrigue of Waterdeep, and he steadfastly refuses all inducements to relocate. Representatives of the various Waterdhavian noble houses come to Daggerford expressly to order special work from Korbus and his family. Some Waterdhavian noble families have even offered to sponsor him for life if they can have the exquisite creations of his skilled hands. Korbus is especially fond of crafting detailed insects, birds, and lizards from gems, gold, and silver, particularly into pins that perch on the shoulder of a lady or hold her cloak together.
Korbus identifies and values jewelry for nominal fees (10 gp per piece). He will offer to purchase especially rare or fine pieces, and he has coins aplenty to do so. Korbus uses his detect magic ability to examine each piece for enchantments, and he fully and honestly reports what he finds. Most merchants who travel up and down the Sword Coast bring gems to him. They know his estimates are fair and precise. Korbus teaches the arts of the illusionist only to gnomes, and detests adventuring. Korbus has treasure cached in many places and has substantial investments in Waterdeep and Elturel.
Korbus has a gem scarabMM5 familiar named Jewelbug.
When not found at his business and residence (#83), Korbus can usually be found drinking ale at the Smiths’ Guildhall (#39).

Korbus Brightjewel
Male rock gnome illusionist 5/maesterCAdv 1
CN Small humanoid (gnome)
Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Listen +3, Spot +1
Languages Common, Gnome, Goblin, Chondathan, Illuskan, Sylvan
[rule]
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14; +4 AC vs. giants
(+2 Dex, +4 armor)
hp 27 (6 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7; +2 vs. illusions
[rule]
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Melee mwk dagger +1 (1d4-2) (+2 vs. kobolds, goblinoids)
Base Atk +2; Grp +0
Illusionist Spells Prepared (CL 5th, 20% arcane spell failure)
3—arcane sight, displacement (DC 14), illusory script (DC 14)
2—invisibility (DC 13), magic mouth (DC 13), phantom trap x2
1—alarm, appraising touch*, color spray (DC 12), identify, shield
0—detect magic, ghost sound (DC 11), mending (DC 11), read magic, silent portalSC (DC 11)
4/4/3/2
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st)
1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound (DC 12), prestidigitation (DC 10), speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute)
[rule]
Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10.
SQ summon familiar (gem scarab)
Feats Attune Gem (MoF), Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Improved Familiar (Gem Scarab), Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (Appraise), Skill Focus (Craft [gemcutting])
Skills Appraise +14 (+16 gems), Concentration +10, Craft (alchemy) +5, Craft (gemcutting) +15 (+17 mwk tools), Decipher Script +8, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Listen +3, Spellcraft +10 (+12 scrolls, +12 to learn illusion spells), Profession (jeweler) +9, Use Magic Device +6 (+10 scrolls)
Possessions: chain shirt, mwk dagger, mwk gemcutting tools, Ulbrent’s brightjewel (kiira*)
Ulbrent’s Brightjewel (Kiira) spells prepared plus 1st---magic missile, 2nd---hypnotic pattern, 3rd---dispel magic
[rule]
Illusionist Korbus has specialized in the school of Illusion. His prohibited schools are Conjuration and Necromancy. He can prepare one additional Illusion spell per spell level each day.
Quick Crafting (Ex) A maester can craft magic items in half the normal time required (one day per 2,000 gp in the item’s base price; minimum one day).

Jewelbug
Sapphire ScarabMM5 Familiar
N Small magical beast
Init +1; Senses tremorsense 30 ft.; Listen +6, Spot +4
Language speak with master
[rule]
AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 16
(+1 size, +5 natural)
hp 17 (2 HD)
Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +2; improved evasion
[rule]
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (average), burrow 15 ft. climb 10 ft.
Melee bite +2 (1d4-1)
Base Atk +2; Grp -3
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 2nd)
6/day—ray of frost (+3 ranged touch)
[rule]
Abilities Str 9, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10
SQ deliver touch spells, empathic link, share spells
Feats Alertness
Skills Climb +9 Hide +7 (+15 in sand), Listen +6, Spot +4
[rule]
Deliver Touch Spells (Su) Jewelbug can deliver touch spells for his master. If Korbus and his familiar are in contact at the time Korbus casts a touch spell, he can designate his familiar as the “toucher.” Jewelbug can then deliver the touch spell just as the master could. As usual, if Korbus casts another spell before the touch is delivered, the touch spell dissipates.
Empathic Link (Su) Korbus has an empathic link with Jewelbug out to a distance of up to 1 mile. Korbus cannot see through the familiar’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content (such as fear, hunger, happiness, curiosity) can be communicated. Even intelligent familiars see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.
Improved Evasion (Ex) When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a familiar takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.
Share Spells (Ex) At his option, Korbus may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts upon himself also affect his familiar. Jewelbug must be within 5 feet of him at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if the familiar moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the animal again, even if it returns to the ranger before the duration expires.
Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself. A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (magical beast).

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 29 May 2012 21:14:47
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  00:10:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely the duergar of Underspires could be tied into Jhaamdath's development of psionics. However, I would doublecheck Empire of the Shining Sea ... Steven may well have come up with an explanation therein.

As for the duergar / hin relationship prior to the ToT (with no idea the ToT is coming ...)

I went back and read the article as well. (It's been a while ... it was mostly new again to me. ;-) )

My take is that in late 1357 DR, Underspires is a rather somnolent realm. They fought a hot war from 1288 DR to 1338 DR and have fought scattered skirmishes thereafter. It's been 2 decades of trying to recover economically.

So, the chief enemy in most duergar minds would be the shield dwarves, not the hin. Major military preparations would revolve around the possible resumption of a hot war with Ironfang Keep.

All that said, the gray dwarves would certainly never forget their territorial claims to the Gulthmere Forest. As a kingdom, they just choose not to bother to enforce them at the moment. That said, individual mid-ranking commanders might well be pursuing plots related to the hin.

For example, I could imagine some mid-ranking duergar lord who is still obsessed with getting a tactical advantage over the shield dwarves. He might well identify some plot involving the hin that would add to the larger war.

Taking hin slaves to serve as conscripts?
Raiding hin villages built atop old duergar armories in hopes of recovering some lost set of weapons?
Set up surface strip mines to get some mineral needed in a duergar alchemical brew?
He's figured out how to quickly replenish diminished steeder ranks by breeding them in the Gulthmere, and letting them feast on their favorite food, hin?

Something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Eric,

Reading the article on Underspires, I am curious about a couple of things:

Do you feel that the large amount of Psionic ability exhibited by Jhaamdath could have been the result of escaped human slaves of the Duergar breeding true in the surface population of the Vilhon?

In my efforts to place The Five Shires in the eastern Gulthmere, I decided to use the Duergar as the Dwarves who once enslaved the Hin...however, I'm placing my game back squarely into 1st Edition and starting on Hammer 9th of 1358...how do you feel the Duergar would interact with a nation of Halflings above them? They haven't yet been visited by an Avatar of a God at this time...so what were they like before that? Again, this is in the AD&D rules, so there are no true Psion classes; but the Duergar do have Psionics as described in the Player's Handbook.

My main curiosity is how the Duergar would feel about a land that was once ruled by one of their own (even if for a very short time)? In the history of the Five Shires, dwarves (and here we mean Duergar for the Forgotten Realms) often were involved...what sorts of ideas do you have on how the Duergar might ineract with a nation of capable halflings?

Any other ideas on the doings of the Duergar of Underspires would be greatly appreciated!

--
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  00:26:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I really like the idea of a group of Duergar coming up to look for a legendary cache of weapons left behind in the Glittering Kingdom when Loktal was forced out!

Also, the steeder idea is an awesome one! I hadn't considered that at all.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000